Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Serger Questions

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
dsf618

Serger Questions

Post by dsf618 » Tue May 07, 2024 7:02 am

Hi! A friend of mine is giving me a White (brand) serger. What do I use it for? Is it helpful in piecing? I would like to make a t shirtvquilt. If I use a serger do I still need the interfacing? Help!!

auntjana

Re: Serger Questions

Post by auntjana » Tue May 07, 2024 7:28 am

I have a serger. But use mine more in garment sewing. I do use it too for rolled edges on napkins etc. I have seen El use a serger once for a quilt. I emphasize, once! If you piece with a serger, you don't really have anyway of a accurate seam allowance. Then there's the bulk of the thread where the pieces are joined. No I'm not a fan of piecing with my serger. I do use it quite often if I'm sewing dresses and clothes for my littles. I did doll clothes too. It's great to give you a clean finish edge for hemming pants. Oh, another draw back with a serger, is if you get a piece of fabric folded caught in your stitching, you can pick it out, but you have holes left from where the serger cuts the fabric! My BFF was altering a wedding gown for a customer and got part of the skirt of the gown caught and created a big hole! Guess where she added some appliques! So they are useful in some things and not others.

Yes, you need the interfacing on a t-shirt quilt. It stabizes the fabric, lessening the stretch of the knit. Sergers help in relieving raveling, and knit doesn't ravel. So there's really no need to serger edges, except for clean looks on the inside.

Jana

Return to “Chit Chat”