Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Jan 27th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Jan 27th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:21 am

Hello from home!!

We made it. 7,500 miles all together, but the trip home, which we consider we started when we left Louisiana, was 3,300 miles in 12 days. Twice we stayed 2 nights before moving on. Tiring, but still enjoyable. But who doesn't love home best after being gone nearly 3 months! We got essentials and fridge stuff unloaded yesterday but today starts the real work, plus laundry and grocery shopping which means regular store and Costco. I don't mind any of it though. I like big projects and resettling into house and life is a big project. And as with sewing projects, I always finish one project before starting another. So it will be a few days before I get to sew. And speaking of big projects, we decided to paint our kitchen. And Bill was on board with it!! And such are the conversations we have when riding for long hours, days on end. So when we get ourselves settled we're going looking for paint. We think a pale buttery yellow. Right now my kitchen walls are brick red, countertops are sparkly black granite, appliances are black, cabinets are oak, and floor is wood, set on the diagnonal. And I have a big 5' garden window over the sink. So there you have a verbal tour of my kitchen. I'm tired of dark walls and I dislike white and gray so yellow it is! My sewing room has been yellow for 9 years and I still love it so I will probably like my kitchen yellow. It will go well with my cannisters and our dishes.

VELDA - oh, yes! you can forget dancing! Ask me how we know! lol! We can still do basic steps and turns but have forgotten a lot of our fancy twirls, knots, lacing, twinkles, windows, and such. We do dance occasionally around the house, yard, and even campsites. Last year, we worked hard, practicing in the driveway and choreographed a waltz routine to "Could I have this dance for the rest of my life", donned our old dance team costumes, and video-taped ourselves (still in the driveway) for A&A's virtual wedding reception. We were rusty, but it was fun for us and the kids loved it. Your quilts are great. I often piece backs that way, using up the scraps from the quilt top. I love being able to use every last bit of fabric.

TINA - glad you got your XR's and there is no serious damage - just a 'wait it out' approach to healing. Did he give you any idea how long it's going to take? At least you can still sew so that's what matters, right?? I mean Frankie can do the cooking but I bet he can't do the sewing!

JANA - crab??!! You KNEW I'd be home before you ate it! Demerits for you!! But - did you find what you were looking for while dress shopping? Maybe one day I can take Kumquat dress shopping. She is 3-1/2# now and is a thumb sucker. We saw the ultra sound. lol! Her mama was a champion thumb-sucker. Aut is 29 weeks now, moving into 30, and all is well. My mom was 4'10" with bad hips so she had a stool, too, for getting into the pick-up. She had a piece of clothesline attached and once she was inside she hauled that stool in with her. When she wanted out, she let it out with the line. We have running boards on our truck plus the inside hand hold. My problem is once I'm in, I almost fall out again reaching to close the door!

CAROL - I so understand having too much fun in the sewing room to go shopping! :lol: And no - no snow here. We rarely get snow. And I don't think we got nearly as much rain as you did, though our friends tell us it was plenty. Most winters our back yard is a lake, but the lake is quite small right now. It was probably bigger last week. No more weeds than usual either.

We toured Vicki's yard when we got home to see what there might be of danger to Scottie if he wandered over there (and we knew he would). It's nearly all cleaned up! The family has been working hard. A few pieces of broken glass were all we found. Still a lot of inside cleaning, though I think the house may be beyond repair now - is a tear down most likely, so what's the point of too much cleaning. They plan to sell the property. And Scotty was allowed to jump out of the truck and roam our 2-1/2 acres to his heart's content, leash free, for the first time in many years!! He was a happy, happy dog!! And Foxy just couldn't get enough of visiting all his favorite places in the yard, then he'd go explore the house, come back out to the trailer where I was working on fridge, then do it all over again! Neither of them settled down until evening!

Our supper last night was lasagna, salad, and the best garlic bread I've ever eaten! I was so hungry I ate two platefuls. God bless good friends! Our other friends tied a Welcome Home ballon to the shrubs we had to pass to park the trailer in the back. They got our mail and packages, blew the leaves off the driveway, and generally checked on things every few weeks. We have some big thankyou's to get out!

Tonite - I have to make supper all by myself. Hmmm..... I do have a frozen chicken tetrazzini I could pop into the oven with a veggie on the side. Or I could put a Southwest Black Bean soup into the crockpot. We'll see what Bill is in the mood for. Also, since we'll probably hit the grocery store, we might find brand new food that sounds good. I guess I'll wait and be surprised!

What sounds delicious to you tonite? And now what will your supper be?

Quilter7

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Jan 27th

Post by Quilter7 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:23 am

Good Morning,

I finished almost all of the green blocks in the quilt. I have eight one inch squares to quilt. It will take me more time to tie off than to quilt! Bed is changed and bathroom is cleaned, second load is in washer. All is good. I just finished breakfast so I can go do those eight squares.

Maryz - There must be some nostalgia in seeing your neighbor home. You must be missing her now when she was healthy. You have wonderful friends to bring you dinner.

Dinner will be chicken. I need to go to the store and buy it.

Carol

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:02 am

Good morning!

Just watched a segment on a local TV lifestyle show on teaching kids to sew. Makes you feel good, when the teacher on the show shares the same way, ideas, I taught my activities day girls to sew. I guess I did things right! I always over guess myself that I do things like teaching quilting and sewing, the right ways.

Dinner - chicken something. I have rotisserie chicken that needs to be used. Last night I did a new dish , Kevin's Korean BBQ beef. It was very yummy. I got it at Costco. We had it over rice. It comes already cooked, sous vide m in two separate bags, so if you are just two, one bag is perfect. You warm the beef in a skillet, then add sauce. I literally had all the dinner on the table in less than 10 minutes! I cheated and used Minute Rice. It's a Michael approved dinner. He would eat Korean BBQ at his office when he worked, run by a Korean family and has been looking for the same flavor as that was. This is!

Mary - yay, home! I'm sure the fur-boys enjoyed their romp around the yard! And your sewing room missed you!

Carol - 8 inches, you're done by the time I type and post this! What's next?

Daniel has the storage loft in Sandee's garage finished and ready to be put in service. I am helping getting her craft room up and running this weekend. Daniel with input from Sandee and me, designed the space with lots of counter space and cabinets. I am very in to lots of cabinets to hold "stuff". I love stuff! Sandee is a true artist, paints and draws. She also wants to learn to sew better and quilt, which she says needs to be done before I'm dead. LOL!

Stay safe,
Hugs,
Jana

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:06 pm

Jana - I still need to do the white areas with feathers and the borders. I should be finished soon.

Return to “Chit Chat”