Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wednesday, Nov 30th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wednesday, Nov 30th

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:20 am

Good morning,

After an 83* day yesterday we woke up to 41* this morning. Brrr!! We're only going to about 57* today.

Bill got all our outdoor lights up yesterday. He really enjoys doing that (and I love that he does it!). Don't know why he's such a scrooge about it at home. We might get out the indoor decorations today, though that isn't too much. Mostly just stockings and a few ornaments we hang from odd places. I'm not ready to put up a tree in this little space yet. Our kitchen, living, dining, sewing "rooms" are all in the same 140 sq feet.

In sewing news I finished piecing my mug rugs, sandwiched 22 of them, and have 10 of those quilted. I still need to embroider the smiles on the last 8. The last step is binding. Whew! I'll work some more on those today.

The dollhouse nursery furniture we ordered is going to be shipped early! How weird is that at holiday time! We're going to use that to represent the big nursery when we give the kids cash for their Christmas gift.

I didn't get the news until this morning, but my sweet sister-in-law died of Covid yesterday evening. I was 9 yrs old when they got married in Boston. Gene was a sailor then, stationed in VA at the time. They met in the Boston Common! She was sitting on a park bench and he thought she was pretty so struck up a conversation. I remember when he brought her home to the west coast I was learning long division and I just didn't get it, but if I knelt in front of her and put my paper on her lap, the math just magically came to me! She was so patient with these two new little sisters! Gene is the oldest of our 6-pack, and Marge was the youngest of her 6-pack. And together they had a 6-pack of their own! Plus adopted two more. I will call my brother later. He is 3 hours behind us. I doubt he is sleeping, but just in case he's able to catch a nap, I'll wait. I'm so glad we were able to make the trip and see her in 2019 before Covid and she was still able to be at home.

CAROL - you really are a talented Jill of all Trades! Full of interesting experiences. The broken glass thing was inspired! I've made a few complicated borders like you are doing. I save the corner blocks until I have the border centered and nearly all the way sewn on. Then, after carefully measuring, I add the blocks and sew the border the rest of the way on. Sometimes I'm a wee bit off and have to frog and re-sew, but it works for me.

JANA - I'm wondering if Santa is going to put a metal mixing bowl in your stocking this year! lol! Thank you for the baby-sewing hints. I'll look for that book.

LORI - that is weird that you had the wrong attachments to your Dyson. Sounds like human error at the packing house. Unless they have robots packing their product . . .

TINA - I find at the end of the day, be it 4:30 or 6pm, I'm not in the mood to cook. I do my prep work, if there is any to do, around noon. Or I use my crockpot. I even make salads earlier in the day and lay a wet paper towel right on top the lettuce. (It crisps up the salad better than if I make it just before serving.) Makes suppertime so much easier for me.

BECCA - thinking of you today and hoping things are going a bit easier in your household.

Supper - I think we'll have chicken taquitos and a salad.
What are you having?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wednesday, Nov 30th

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:19 am

Good morning everyone!
Mary, I'm so sorry for you alls loss, she sounds like she was the best sis in law! ❀❀ prayers for your brother too πŸ™πŸ™
I don't think Frankie complains about decorating outside, I think he used to years ago but I guess he realized it didn't do any good πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
I think you'll be finished with those mug rugs by the end of tomorrow!
I just love how your gifting the nursery furniture! That's the coolest idea I've ever heard!
I mostly don't mind making supper, it's the 4:30 eating part that kills me LOL that's just too early to eat supper for us.
Becca, prayers for you and CA, I hope things are going better.
Jana, maybe you do need a metal bowl... that's what I have. I remember when I was a kid Mom had a glass bowl and it got shattered, thankfully nobody was hurt.
Carol, that's smart how you got the kids to wear shoes.
Lori, I agree with Mary about those attachments, I think someone wasn't paying attention doing their job. When you take it back I'm guessing you'll be getting another one? I'd open it in the store and make sure it's correct. We had to do that with a ceiling fan once because we bought it 60 miles away and when we got it home something was missing so we had to return it and we didn't want to go through that again.
Today is putting up my nativity scene and doing laundry and seeing if I can make a sample of the pattern for the stocking. I only have 🀞 hopefully enough 🀞 fabric to do the 1 stocking so I'm using different to get it right first.
We have enough chicken and rice leftover for supper tonight but I'll have to come up with a new veggie because we ate all the asparagus last night.
Tina

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:49 am

Good Morning,

Maryz - Hugs and prayers for your brother, Gene, family and for you. I am sorry for your loss. She will be missed by all of her family.

I too love the idea of the toy dollhouse furniture. That is a wonderful idea!

Tina - I am with Mary on not feeling like cooking at supper time but haven't been so disciplined to always prep food at noon. When I do think to prepare it is much easier to make the meal.

I think I may have made an error but know how to fix it. I think the corners are going to get a piece of white sashing. They are a different block than the center of the quilt and the border blocks. The quilt should go together today. I will post a picture if I finish.

Dinner will be Marinated (?) Chicken and a yam for me and baked potato for DH.

Carol

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:29 am

Mary, what a cute idea. I'm sure they will be very happy to pick out what they want. So sorry to hear about you SIL. Was she the one with Alzheimer's?

Tina, you could do a sample with Muslin to make sure you have the right amount of fabric prior.

Carol, I'm sure you'll have no trouble fixing the error.

I got the vacuum replaced and it had the right parts. So I will give it a try today. I did get all the laundry caught up yesterday. I want to sew today. I've got the quilt about 60% quilted. I do a little bit at a time.

Dinner will be chicken enchiladas since I got a rotisserie chicken at Costco yesterday.

Have a lovely day.

Lori 8-)

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:13 pm

I finished sewing the top together so as promised here are the pictures:Image

This is the picture of the right corner block with my name.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:35 pm

Carol, that is beautiful.
Lori 8-)

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:48 pm

Wowzers Carol it is totally gorgeous! Great job!!

Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:00 pm

What a spectacular gift for you- it is beautiful!

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:36 pm

All of you are so kind! Thank you!

Carol

Return to β€œChit Chat”