Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Aug 13th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Aug 13th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:48 am

Good morning,

It was another early morning for me. Good thing early morning is my favorite time of the day!

Yesterday was a shopping marathon - two grocery stores and Costco. Then both Bill and Scottie had groom appts. The checkbook took a real hit, but other than a few last minute fresh items, I think we're set to feed our crew for the week. Whew! Today is laundry, rake a few fallen leaves from around our firepit and patio area, and then I can sew! Yippee! My sister spent the night in Rock Springs, WY. Today they will pass thru SLC area and into Idaho. Wave to the Northeast about 11am, JANA!

We discovered a slick trick to cooking corn on the cob. Perhaps y'all already know it but just in case you don't, give this a try. Our friends put two UN-SHUCKED ears into the microwave for 4.5 min. They took them out, cut off the stem end, making sure they cut through all the shucks, and then kind of squeezed the ear out from the tassel end. Sort of like squeezing toothpaste. It came out purrfectly cooked, with no silky hairs. Anyone here ever tried that? If we can find good corn, we're going to give it a whirl on Thursday with burgers and potato salad.

CAROL - thanks for the reminder - our bedroom needs cleaning, too. Two bureaus are taller than I am so I forget how dusty they get. And the little stuff that clutters my dresser - where does it all come from?? lol! But Bill did vacuum it the other day. And we have a small oval braided rug on top of Scottie's big plush bed. He loves wadding it up to his specifications. I think I'll put that, and Foxy's various blankets in the wash today. A manicure sounds nice. A rare treat for me, though we three sisters are going for pedicures on Thursday. What color(s) do you like your nails? I used to use colors, but nowadays, I keep mine a sort of cloudy clear most of the time. Come Christmas, though, I trot out my brilliant red!

LYN - glad you and Garry are both still Feeling OK. You sure don't need Covid in your household. I talked to my friend, Esther, yesterday and she is just getting over it. Said it was pretty bad. Sorry to hear about your SIL's diagnosis, but at least now he knows. What surgery would he have to correct this? How is your tree coming along?

JANA - glad the clock is fitting in nicely and won't disrupt the Christmas tree. I don't make noodles very often, but when I do, I roll mine out, too, and cut them with a knife or pizza cutter. I like the texture of homemade. Have you ever made spaetzle? Someday I may try that. But I've been saying that for 40 years! :lol:

I'm not sure what's for supper tonite. I'm trying to be careful about making anything with leftovers that will run past Sunday. I'll have to think about it for a bit.

What are you thinking about?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Aug 13th

Post by auntjana » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:34 am

Good morning!

We had a rude awaking this morning. A extremely loud boom, went off, I swear right over my house! Aaron and the department have been fielding calls. So has every PD in the valley - here up to Davis County north of us, even Park City. PD here, called Kennecott, they say nope, not us, then tPD called ATK, they build rocket boosters, nope not them either. Now the odds on bets is a military jet broke the sound barrier causing a huge sonic boom. Hill AFB will neither deny or confirm. We thought thunder, but no thunderheads . Aaron said it rattled his patrol car as he's on duty. Some fighter pilot must have been doing his re-enactment of Maverick in Top Gun!

Dinner - chicken fried steak, potatoes, gravy and a veggie to be determined.

Heading down to sew today. I remembered I had black embroidery thread in a gift from Christmas. I got a stash of a bunch of colors and put them in a drawer and not where I keep my other embroidery threads. Then I remembered, in the middle of the night.

Time to scoot. We are hearing a number of military jets flying over right now, at least so far, they are behaving!

Hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:06 am

The birds are chirping and the hummingbirds are humming. I got a picture of a hummer taking a drink from my Lantana flower yesterday!

MaryZ, my SIL will probably have a Stent put in to widen whatever area is collapsing. He has so many health problems, he needs to be on disability, but filling out the paperwork is an uphill battle he tells me.

As for my tree, I didn't get many branches cut yesterday. I had some calls that had to be made and then it was after 1 and in the 80's.

My Dad found a recipe, on the internet, for microwaving corn on the cob. He was in his 90's. He was amazing! Anyway, I use that recipe, which is to remove husks and roll corn in a wet paper towel starting at one corner. Then microwave for 2 minutes an ear. I have done 4 at a time and they come out great. MaryZ, I saw a FB video a couple days ago about microwaving in the husk. Let us know how it works, please.

Jana, I remember the sonic booms. Of course Hill won't say a word. Glad the clock is in it's place. DH made a Grandfather clock in high school and it was moved to his sister's house after parents died. She is clock sitting. :lol: I would love to have it at the Texas house, but getting it there may be difficult.

It happens that I bought 2 ears of corn yesterday. So we will probably have them and some grilled chicken tonight.

Enjoy your day!
Lyn

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:00 am

Good Morning

Jana - I just read that it was a meteor breaking up that caused the sonic boom. Wow! That is amazing!! I hope someone caught it on their cell phone camera. BTW the varnish is still tacky, so we are letting the table dry completely before sitting on benches and having a meal on the table.

Maryz - I have tried that method of cooking corn on the cob. It is very good. Glad to hear you have completed the shopping and getting ready for your family visit.

Lyn - Prayers said for SIL. Glad it was diagnosed.

Dinner last night turned out to be Sloppy Joes and Fries. Dinner tonight will be Parmesan Chicken.

Carol

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:48 am

Yes, that is the current theory. We had to laugh here in my house, as Michael came up with the meteor theory just after the boom happened. He said that a aircraft couldn't have made the sustained rumble that went on for several seconds, after the initial boom. It was very cloudy with a layer of alto stratus clouds, blocking our view. Those aren't thunder producing clouds. We have seen a couple of large meteors streaking across the sky when we lived in California. One was a spectacular lime green fireball with a huge tail trailing behind. It was one of those wow moments.

I was beginning to think my house was bugged, after the Governor came out and said the meteor theory! LOL!

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:58 pm

Jana, that must have been pretty loud.

Mary, sounds like you are ready for company. You're going to have such a great time with your family.

I just got back from our evening walk. I've been taking the boys in the morning and about 4 times a week in the evening. I ordered light up collars for the boys and they will be here tomorrow. It's starting to get dark sooner. I worked on the Christmas swap blocks today. I've reconfigured half the pattern. It just wasn't coming out right. So now it's better. I'm about a 1/3 of the way done.

Dinner was nachos. Nothing fancy.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”