Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Aug 7th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Aug 7th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:41 am

Good morning,

WE have a nice, cool, very pleasant morning. A morning for coffee on the deck and thou's!

Yesterday I did get my yard work finished. For now, anyway. Then I did two loads of laundry, and after that started in cooking supper. I browned my pork chops and then let them simmer in a wine and mushroom sauce in the crockpot. I made au gratin potatoes to pop into the oven, salad, and rolls. I'd invited Tex & Annette to join us. Once dinner was out of the way, I put some Hatch green chilies I bought a few weeks ago under the broiler, which was right when our Boondocker arrived. I had to pull the chilies out to go get them settled. They are our last Boondocker of the summer. We may get a few more in the fall, but after today, our calendar of availability is blocked out now thru mid-Sept. Today - help Bill finish taking down a dead hazelnut tree and clean up that mess, and then hopefully get into my sewing room. I also want to load the calendar quilt onto the frame. Not sure when it will get quilted, but at least it will be ready. I will do it myself with a meander pattern.

Bill was gone yesterday for almost 12 hours. Tex ended up leaving his truck at Ford dealer in Yakima instead of having it towed 160 miles home. When it's fixed, Bill will probably have to drive him back to pick it up. And hopefully it WILL be fixed properly. We have two friends who both had their trucks at Ford dealers for repairs, and both had to return their vehicles within the first 10 miles of driving them - two more times!

CAROL - you have had a very busy week! But you knew that going in. The baby shower sounds like it was fun. We love Italian restaurants! White glove duty sounds easy, but it would get my low back after 20 min. I hope you don't have back problems.

JANA - you were certainly organized for the big party yesterday! Happy birthday to your Michael! That cake sounds complicated, but yummy! I love orange and chocolate together! It's nice to have an hour to just sit before everyone arrives, isn't it.

LORI - sounds like you didn't win any doggie mom points yesterday! lol! But I'm sure you had a fun day at the quilt show. It's nice that you have your son so close now. My girls live in VA and TX. My son is in Seattle but his wife does NOT like us at all, so that means we never see my son. I really miss him.

VELDA - I had to Google Swai. Please forgive me while I insert a big "double ick" here. But I could go for some coleslaw, chips, and strawberries!

Well, tonite's supper is going to be leftover everything - pork chops, potatoes, salad, and rolls. All we have to do is heat 'n' eat!

What will YOU be doing for your supper?

WeeOne

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Aug 7th

Post by WeeOne » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:24 am

MaryZ, so glad Bill was able to help Tex. I'm sure your meal was great especially after the long drive.

Jana, belated HB to Michael. I bet the taco bar was great and cake sounds yummy.

Dinner last night was Tina's Philly cheese steak sandwiches. I will put more onion and pepper in next time. DH liked it, me too.

Dinner tonight might be a repeat or I have 2 Schwan's lasagna's that can be popped in the microwave for a quick meal. I'm going to try and go down the Mtn and watch the DGD in a Gymkhana horse riding event.
Lyn

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Mary, sounds like Bill had a long day yesterday. And you stayed pretty busy yourself.

The quilt show was nice. It was 1/3 of it's actual size. It is an International quilt show and was very small for that. There wasn't very many people there either. I felt bad for the vendors. I know they didn't make much money. I sure hope things go back to normal soon, or they'll just stop having the big shows. I wonder how Houston will do this year. They same group puts on that show as well.

I started quilting up another top I made over the last few weeks. I won some fabric as a door prize, so I cut out a simple quilt to use it. I'm using recycled water bottle batting by Quilters Dream. I wanted to try it out to see how it looks and feels. I'll keep this one as a dog quilt to test out how it washes up as well.

For dinner we have reservations at a local Italian place. They make fresh pasta that is really yummy.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

Becca

Post by Becca » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:56 pm

Hello everyone another shower now We have had so much rain this week Wish I could share for those in need
Maryz Bill needs an award for most accommodating Sure friends were grateful Lynn So nice to see you Hope you stop by more
Lori So many things have changed & most for the worst for business Sorry it was so slow

I had a spare minute so stopped by Do miss everyone CA is still in so much pain l Have heard that’s normal with shingles
It keeps me very busy keeping everything going Sure hope it improves
We had chicken salad today & cookies
Have a great day everyone Becca
Last edited by Becca on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:02 pm

Hi ladies,
I have been really busy today. After church and lunch, I started some sewing. Working on my sister's new purse and was thinking about her and wanted to ask her a question about the size of her phone, etc for making the inside pockets. So I called and we talked for 49 min.
Then I decided to call my brother, then I called my sister-in-law who is my deceased brother's wife. After that, I called my other sister. WOW, the afternoon flew by! Thought I better pop in and check in with you, too.
We are doing burgers again tonight. Nice easy supper. I have to go back now and read everyone's posts and see what's up with each of you. Especially you, Becca, so good to see you post! Hope you are doing a little better each day.
Not much else here. If I need to, I can edit and reply to you if I find a question to ask, etc.
Sending prayers and hugs to everyone.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:54 pm

Good Afternoon,

I have been sewing all day today. It is a pleasure just sewing. I think I will continue all week except when I must run errands. My new glasses are ready for pick up and my appointment is tomorrow as an example. (Yes, I had to make an appointment to pick them up.)

Lori - The vendors were very busy on Thursday, so don't worry too much. Yes, the show was smaller, the crowds were definitely lighter, but those who came purchased items. It was wonderful to have the show back at Long Beach.

Jana - Good to hear Michael had a great Birthday.

Maryz - You had a party yesterday! Glad everyone had dinner waiting after such a long day. Yes, I do have back problems, but usually stretching and exercise help. I enjoy doing white glove duty. I learn a great deal about the quilts in my area. Example: In the "Art Nouveau" area there was a quilt by a South Korean named Jung Lee. She talked about the applique and did not mention the thousands of hexagons that made up the background of the queen-sized quilt. I did not take a picture. It was stunning and completely done by hand, including the quilting. I was told later that it is quite common for the Koreans to use a hexagon quilt as a background for applique.

All of you would have enjoyed the quilts by an art quilt group in Nevada City, California. They did a group of quilts based on Beatles songs. The quilts were small and had musically note fabric that ran from one quilt to the next. (Think "Yellow Submarine", "Here Comes the Sun"). The show was beautiful. Zena Thorpe had handwork, Troy Murrah showed quilts made of wood, Yukiko Hirano had four beautiful Baltimore Album quilts. There were quite a few quilts from a collection that was very old and in extraordinarily good shape that were very traditional. It was very enjoyable to see all the beautiful quilts.

Vel - The bus trip was fun and it was even better to spend it with friends.

The baby shower was great. The did manage to reveal what they are having, but did not do any "stunts". They had to phone the hospital and the daddy didn't get any results, so sister-in-law managed to get the results a little later. Mom and Dad were both surprised and very happy. Grandpas on both sides were on Facetime and surprised too. The food was great. For a party favor we were each given a small bottle of Champagne to enjoy when the baby is born. She asked for (slightly used) books instead of cards and for us to write a note. I gave her "Snowflake Bentley". I have had it for quite a few years. The art won a Caldecott Award. I included an article about Snowflakes and one about the artist. I wrote how the book could lead to learning more about Science, History and Art and suggested making paper snowflakes.

Now that you have read a book dinner will be Turkey Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, salad and a vegetable.

Have a nice evening!
Carol

Return to “Chit Chat”