Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, July 5th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, July 5th

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:49 am

Good morning!

Our Fourth turned out nicely despite all the boulders in our road. None of our local friends ended up coming but we had a nice time with our two boondocking couples. One of the ladies is a big time knitter. She used to have a knit shop in Portland but sold it 5 yrs ago. She gives lessons on U tube now - Cherieknits. I don't knit but I did have to pull her up just to see.

I had quite a bit of time to play with my little stars yesterday. I've got 190 finished. The pattern calls for 225. But I guess I went a little maniacal with my cutting so I think I'll do another 15 (one more row), plus use all the little extra 2" squares in borders that I hadn't originally planned. Sometimes I wonder where my brain has gone!

IRISH - good news that Tim is feeling improved. Getting home again would give him another great boost! Praying for that to happen soon. Congrats to your Nick! Is Tricia a girl he has met over in England or is she a "local"? Any timeframe yet on when they will return to the States? I suppose Fourth of July wasn't too big a deal for them over in England . . . I understand how you can get used to your fridge in the living room. After only a few days there, I'm still walking around the dishwasher on the deck, even though Bill and one of our boondockers hauled it down to the garage yesterday. lol!

TINA - I almost always wash my pans by hand, too. But we do fill our dishwasher and run it about 3x/wk. And so nice when we have company. My dermatologist said NO hot water, soaps, cleaning products or my hand will get bad again. And they are really starting to dry out. I do have rubber gloves but hate wearing them and more often than not forget. But, other than that, I don't mind washing dishes at all. I mind that we weren't TOLD about all this fiasco. It was the warehouse person(s) loading the truck that screwed up and we feel now we're getting the run-around by everyone else up the line. But if this is the worst thing that happens to us this summer, won't be be blessed?!! Sounds like a lot of folks are chomping at the bit to hear more about your Christmas swap! Yay!!

CAROL - good dishwasher advice! And yes, Bill is very good and will do anything if I ask - or even if I don't but just leave it long enough. lol! And he does a good job. He almost always makes the bed because after a lifetime of doing it, I burned out. And because he's always the last one out of it in the morning. :lol: But he is often asking me what he can do to help.

JANA - glad they got that fire under control. People have been shooting off a lot more fireworks here than ever before. Our Boondockers even took their chairs out to the end of our driveway to watch the show in the court across the road. But I'm not a fan because of the noise scaring our pets and because of fire hazards. We'll see how it goes next year when our new fireworks ban goes into effect.

We have a lot of potato salad, broccoli salad, and brats left so we will do a repeat and probably invite our one remaining boondocker couple to join us. The other one leaves today. The "leavers" - they live in a van conversion, no slides. Full time. For 5 years. Plus, he works on the road installing power inverters in like RV's so he has a lot of tools and supplies they carry. I love RVing but I would be C R A Z Y cooped up in such a tiny space - for FIVE years!!! :o :shock:

What's going on your table tonite?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, July 5th

Post by auntjana » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:03 pm

Good morning!

They are on the road! Kari left at the time she said-7 am California time - so she's five hours on the road, somewhere near or approaching Winnemucca. Daniel left a hour later than he wanted, but they are only going as far as Elko. Kari will be here tonight just about supper time. So I will have a pot of spaghetti ready with my good garlic bread. Karlie likes spaghetti.

Everyone here in the neighborhood behaved with fireworks and didn't shoot them off until the wee hours. No fires either around me. This will be the last legal night until the 23rd -25th, Pioneer Day celebration.

So the new kitty will be here tonight. Still wondering how friendly she'll be. Her name is Smoky, gray and white tiger stripe.

The koi pond has water now and soon will have its koi back in it - from Sarah's dining room. Sarah laid all the rocks lining the edge and even created a small waterfall in the edge. They put some junk- feeder fish in and if they survive, the koi will go back, in a couple of days. The water depth is a tall thigh high deep, so Lila can stand up in it, if she falls in. She's the littlest.

See ya later,
Hugs
Jana

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:43 pm

Good Afternoon,
I have been quilting this morning. I need to go to the kitchen and do some cleaning. The floor definitely needs cleaning.

Maryz - Let me be clear, the advice was for the sink you use to wash dishes. When you start to use a wire mesh drainer in it you will be surprised at all the debris you have been allowing to go down the drain.

Jana - You must be so excited! It will only be a few more hours! May they have safe travels. I did not know that you put in fish other than the Koi to see if the Koi will survive. I know they are expensive fish though and need a place to hide in the pond from wildlife who might like a tasty treat. Spaghetti was always my favorite as a child too!

The chicken is now marinating so you can guess we will be having Marinated Grilled Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, vegetable and a salad.

Carol

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:55 pm

Good late afternoon from a warm, partly sunny, SW. Pa....We had a few sprinkles this morning but Kevin did come over and do the grass this afternoon...It's so funny to see him, parked on the street with his big red truck with the trailer on the back with all his equipment...Really looks like lawn care! And then he backs this grass cutting tractor off, puts on his ear things and it takes him, maybe 10 minutes at the most, to do my yard.....Earlier he sent me a picture of a mother deer and a new born fawn in his yard...He said the momma had been there all morning, almost at his back door, looking at his garden and then the baby walked out from under the pool deck...He said, the baby could hardly walk, his legs were so wobbly but walked over to mom and started nursing.....He's happy with them in the yard as long as they don't make it over the fence into the garden....But, it's getting to be very common to look out, any time of the day, and have a deer or 2 in the yard or walking down the street, headed towards the woods.....really do enjoy seeing them unless they find my lilies and hostas, lol.....

No good news on Tim, he's still testing positive on covid and needs 2 negatives before they'll release him....And what bothers us, he's not getting therapy, he's strickly being isolated...Kathy has talked to the Embassy and they can't shorten his quarantine until he has a negative and they said, they've really never had anyone positive longer than 21 days which means he could be there another 11 days.....

On the good news side, talked to Terry and he said, Nick is supposed to be coming home for a visit in the spring and hopefully he'll bring his girl friend.....And his closing is the end of the month and can be done electronically so he doesn't have to be here, (darn)......

Jana, I just keep thinking how exciting and how excited you must be....And having a new kitten in the house, doesn't get much better, lol.....Prayers for safe travels, to and fro......

I have done very little today....Had much too much partying over the weekend...Of maybe should say, too much eating and card playing....But, I think everyone is now back to normal or will be soon....I was going to run and do errands but here it is almost time for supper and there's no way I'm leaving the house now....I need to go to Home Depot and pick up about 100 pavers/blocks or whatever to put around some of my flower beds....Not bad having them load the car but not looking forward to unloading, 1 at a time, lol......Maybe by Thanksgiving, I'll be done.......But, my new motto, "Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow".........

Not sure what supper might be....I've already had the chips for lunch so I do need to vary my menu alittle.....Maybe cereal or a grilled cheese....I make apple squares for yesterday's picnic and have some left over for afters, so I'm good to go.......

You all have a great rest of the day................

Happy eating....................

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi all!
Mary, your going to have that star quilt finished in no time! Oh yes, that is very frustrating of the no show no call on your DW from Lowe's. Have they found it yet?
Jana, our pond is about 3' deep all across except right where the waterfall goes in, it's about 4' there. Ours is 2800 gallons. We're going to get more koi one day, we only have goldfish and turtles and mosquito fish.... oh and bullfrogs find their way to it too, Frankie keeps relocating them out. A new kitty! Is it full grown? A kitten? There's gonna be fun at your house soon! I'm sooooo happy all your kids and grands will be close now ❤❤ it's the best!
Carol, I use a mesh thing sometimes too. Frankie and my Dad installed my dishwasher about 25 years ago and they put in a 45°(?) Downward angle pipe/ line thing so there's no chance dish water goes into the dishwasher and no chance dishwasher water goes into the sink. But you have me thinking now, Holly's dishwasher won't drain, maybe that's her problem..... I'll tell Frankie, thanks!
Irish, I love to see the deer! How lucky of him to have a baby deer too. I sure hope Tim tests negative soon! I love using those stepping stones for things too, I think you should find a little helper.
Well Kevin has covid again. He's already had it once, been vaccinated after and now has it again. We're praying hard he doesn't give it to Matthew or Maria, she's due September 7th I believe. I just got the invite for the baby shower for the 23rd of this month.
Jazmyne is coming over to stay the night!
I haven't decided on supper yet.
The Christmas swap is up and running!
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:21 pm

I have the little mesh thingy in my side of the sink where the garbage disposal is. I call it my hat, as if you turn it over, it looks like a mesh hat. It lives there all the time, as I don't want silverware etc falling in the disposal. Works well as I have lots of helpers. And no chewed up silverware.

Return to “Chit Chat”