Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Happy Fourth of July!

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Happy Fourth of July!

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:40 am

Good coolish morning!

We are cloudy, possible showers through the morning, with a maybe high of 69* today. Could be worse. Could be better!

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time on my 4" stars, did food prep for today, cleaned pots, pans, bowls - several times - and polished all the granite countertops. Our dishwasher that was scheduled for delivery between 1 and 5 never showed up. And no calls as to why it didn't. I understand things happen - but there was absolutely no communication from Lowe's. And when we called all we got is an automated message. We finally went to bed after 10pm. But we left the porch light on for them! Nothing. We called again this morning and it still says it's supposed to be delivered yesterday. They should probably change that message.

So - to recap: We're having a BBQ and campfire today. With iffy weather. For 4, but possibly up to 10 folks. And if it rains we can all move up onto the covered deck and gather around the old dishwasher that Bill removed Saturday! There is a big pile of dirty dishes in the kitchen I've been saving for the inaugural wash and a gaping hole in the cabinetry. And suddenly my eyes and nose are both running like they are trying to catch an appliance delivery truck! (this happens to me about once every 3 yrs.). And oh! Wait!! Bill is on the phone now. Let's listen . . . . . πŸ‘‚

Apparently Lowe's never loaded our dishwasher onto the truck. The computer shows 2 in their warehouse and 1 in the store but no one could find them. Yet we got delivery times for it. And apparently Lowe's has no phones either! Arghhhh!!! But they were sure happy to ring us up at the cash register to the tune of $900! Good thing I bought paper plates! So - now we need to decide if we want to re-install the old dishwasher or wait. The delivery coordinator is supposed to call us. I passed my frustration point a while ago and think I'll move on to the drinking part of the day. 🍷🍷 Lots of people enjoy grape juice for breakfast, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

So today I'm making potato and broccoli salads. And washing dishes. Maybe I'll sew a few stars, too. (another story in aggravation, but I can only gripe about so many things this early in the morning. :lol: )

CAROL - I could have dusted yesterday, too. I planned on it. I even tested one piece of furniture. Yep! It needed dusting. So maybe this morning - after I finish the dishes! lol!

TINA - glad to hear you are getting some rain! I hope you get lots. Looking forward to your Christmas Swap!

JANA - did you make cookies yesterday? What kind? I was thinking of it, but now I'm glad I didn't!

IRISH - still praying here for Kathy and Tim. Any news? I'm sure you're very anxious!

Supper is going to be grilled Johnsonville brats on buns. I forgot to buy sauerkraut, but I think we'll have enough food without. We have the jalapeno and the Beddar Cheddar varieties. I am also serving potato salad, broccoli/mandarin salad, watermelon, and ice cream. Our friend, Annette is bringing baked beans, macaroni salad, chips, and apple pie.

What are you doing for your Fourth?

Irishgram

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Happy Fourth of July!

Post by Irishgram » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:58 am

Happy Fourth of July from a very, very pleasant, SW. Pa....

Oh Mary, how terrible! Boy, any more, you don't know who to believe...I'm kind of in the same boat but need to get rid of, not get new...I did get my new refrigerator, right on time, installed, no problem BUT, because I was having our electric company come for the fridge, these men could only move it out of the way, which was a foot away in the living room...The electric people gave me a day and time but when that day came, I did have a call (after the assigned time) saying, they had no drivers and needed to set another time.....OK, next time is July 11 and they will call with a time...So in the mean time, I'm getting used to this big thing and thinking, I'm sure everyone has a fridge in their living room, right???.......But, we are almost at their mercy unless you go and pick it up yourself...Don't think Ruby would have been too happy, so we wait and hope for the best....

But, Tim feels he's improving, hasn't gotten any worse, thank goodness but he has to have 2 negatives on the Covid test for him to be discharged and flown home....Kathy was able to send in some new/clean clothes so that had to have made him feel better...She did say, she felt the hospital was very good and happy they were able to diagnose quickly and start the treatments..She also said, the people at the hotel are treating her pretty well but she doesn't have much good to say about the rest of the people she's met....It's going to be a long haul but she just wants to get him back home...Soon 2 weeks since she's seen him......We certainly do appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts, very comforting.........

But, I do also have some good news....Our Nick, called to tell me, he and his girl, Trisha, got engaged....I had a feeling for awhile and so happy to hear....I don't think they've made any plans but now I'm thinking, am I going to get to go to England, finally......I did joke with Kathy and told her since she was in the neighborhood, she could just hop over to England and marry them.......
And the other good news, Terry and Theresa's house sold...What a worry off their shoulders...There again, I was teasing him and said, it had to be that new white kitchen he just put in.....So things are coming together in that family...My sister's house went on the market today and of course we're hoping for a quick sale.......

I missed reading the posts the last day or so but am trying to catch up.....

Becca, so happy to see you back and was extra happy to see you were going to sist on your porch and admire all your hard work...Hope your day is special....

Jana, I'm sure you're house is jumping....So excited to have Daniel home...As hectic as it can be, there's no better feeling...Thank you for your special thoughts.....

I love reading what all you are doing and eating....Helps to keep me going and possibly sane...(I said, possibly), lol.....

I've spent a lot of time at my sister's this weekend...Her nephew and wife are here from Alaska after stopping at their mountain...He's is a walking miracle, recovering from his stroke...She's a nurse/instructor/administrator and has helped me understand more about Tim's problem...Today, other friends have invited us for a picnic and I'm mixing up a batch of apple squares.....

We all have problems and our country is going through some bad times, but, we're here and we do have so much to be thankful for...There are times when you think, can't get any worse but then you stop and think as I've been doing these last couple of days.......thank you all, once again........

You all have a safe, happy holiday and of course a great rest of the day....

Happy eating..................

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:41 am

Happy Independence Day to you all!
Mary, sorry your dishwasher didn't show up. Sorry you have to wash dishes by hand, I'd help you if I was closer....I wash dishes by hand almost always now. We got the dishwasher here when the kids were little and I had a hard time keeping up but with just us 2 and 3 when Dad eats here it's faster for me to wash by hand, I can get them washed and there kitchen clean in about 10 minutes. I never wash my pots and pans in the dishwasher so I have to make up soapy dishwater anyways most nights LOL. I do try to remember to run ours once or twice a month though so the seals don't dry out and keep it for when the kids eat here and especially holidays.
You had problems with your stars? What happened?
Enjoy your party tonight!
Irish, I just can't imagine being in another country and going through all Kathy and Tim are. πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
I hope the electric company gets your old fridge picked up sooner.
I've spent a couple hours searching for a carburetor for our lawnmower, ugh. Found it! Of course it has to be one of the most expensive ones πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
My morning is shot now so I'll see what my afternoon holds, hopefully only pleasant surprises.
We go every year to the cattle sale pens parking area and watch the City do their fireworks display so that's what we'll be doing. We usually get a DQ blizzard and sit and watch them, no different this year. I like it.
Last night Frankie's nephew was putting on quite the display at his irrigation pond (ΒΌ mile NE of us) . They were beautiful fireworks!
None of our animals ever seem to mind them but we've always made sure they're always locked up in the house and I close all the windows for the cats and we always put the dogs in their kennels when we're gone for those just in case moments. When we're home they just sleep as usual for them through it all, no shaking or anxiety of any kind. It's probably because they hear gunshots throughout the year and fireworks sound the same.
I'm going to make a quick small burrito for us and Dad for supper and then we'll all have a blizzard a couple hours after.
Tina

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:44 pm

Maryz - Not cool to "not find" the dishwasher in the warehouse and not deliver it. Has Lowe's located the dishwasher now? I am sorry for the delay. Does Bill help wash dishes?

Jana - I looked up John Hart and sure enough he was a signer from New Jersey. Very cool he is an ancestor.

Irish - You refrigerator pick up is scheduled for the luckiest day of the year (7/11)! I hope everything goes smoothly for you. So good to hear Tim is feeling a bit better. Hope Kathy and Tim can fly home soon.

Tina - I did not use our dishwasher when I was working. Pots and Pans and most plastic items do not go through the dishwasher either. Now I will give you a warning. There is a pipe that runs between the dishwasher and the sink, that can become clogged. I have the answer. You can buy a screen filter to place in the sink as soon as you pull out the stopper. It is fine mesh and catches debris in the dishwater sink. My brother spent hours cleaning the pipe at his house and I simply allowed the dishwasher to finally blow it all out. Now I use my filter. After I retired, we started using the dishwasher for washing dishes and that was when I discovered the pipe was clogged and water would come out of that thing on the counter. Now-a-days I run the dishwasher every 4 or 5 meals. It seems to work out great and we don't run out of flatware.

We worked in the front yard this afternoon and pulled weeds, raked leaves and trimmed. It looks much better! Also, I am quilting heart shaped wreaths with feathers.

Tonight's dinner will be Turkey Burgers, coleslaw and french fries. There are strawberries and Ice Cream for dessert.

Carol

Carol

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:00 pm

Good afternoon!

The Main Street Bench pillow is up in photos. And the story that goes with it! Boy when I botch things, i do it up royal! But thank goodness, I have Michael!

It's been a comedy of errors around here this weekend. On Friday night, Matt calls frantically from his vacation with his inlaws. Matt is the scoutmaster of a tropp that is going to scout camp this morning. Well, Matt forgot to take all the required medical forms that the boys needed. These are a big must and they are not allowed in camp without them. So Michael drove down to Matt;s house, found the papers and took them over to the assistant scoutmaster to take to camp. That guy was leaving early for a family trip, so Michael had to hurry to get to his house - mission accomplished. That was until this morning, when Sarah showed up at my house, at the crack of dawn - guess who forgot to put his medical form in the pile Michael delivered on Friday - yup - Matt! so Sarah drove down to his house, searched, found the paper, took it home and scanned a copy to Matt. Gotta to love technology! That boy, maybe not! LOL! so that fire was adverted! Matt and the big boys are going to camp, just 3 miles down the road from where the in law vacation was at Bear Lake. The scout camp there is right on the lake and is lots of fun - they have been there before.

Daniel is leaving early in the morning for here - yippee! Early depends on when he gets Kari up - Karlie is ready right now! They will drive to Elko Nevada and spend the night. Elko is about a six hour drive by car - but towing and traveling with two other cars, one other of those towing a trailer, it will take longer. The climb up and over Donner Summit is a tough grade and taxes vehicles immensely. Then on Wednesday they will arrive here fairly early in the morning. The drive time between here and Elko is about 3 1/2 hours. Then unloading. Then Daniel, his friend, Aaron and Joseph are going golfing. Then it's take the Uhaul back to California, and then Daniel will be back again for the final trip in moving. He will be towing his Jeep with his normal truck. Me - I just will stay here and do what I do best - sew and cook!

Mary - oh I would be growling loudly at Lowes! I too wonder about a Sunday delivery and a holiday today, when it will get there! Matt has a Bosch that they bought at Lowes last year and it does a great job and is really quiet while it runs. Paper plates are my go to aroundhere - with all of us here, it just makes sense.

Irish - glad to hear the update of Tim. Hopefully those tests will be negative and they can be on their way home. It would be hard having someone in the hospital and not getting to be there - I know from experience here, with Michael in the hospital last year. The nurses were terrific in making sure that Michael had a charged cellphone in his reach, so I could talk to him.

Tina - The fireworks shows are happening here too, every night, until the 7th. They are seeming to be more subdued this year with our dry weather. But of course, one fire got out of hand last night, north of me and evacutated over 100 homes. I am still trying to figure out people, when the fire department tells us not to shoot off near homes or dry fields, that doesn't apply to them! Uggh! My house is in a no fireworks zone, but the end of the block, it's legal in the street. But since when do the fireworks read the signs that are posted and stay right where they are shot from. Double Uggh!

Well. our dinner tonight is either banned or a simple polish hot dog and some chips. Tomorrow I will do a pot roast in the crockpot for everyone.

Happy Fourth of July!
Hugs,
Jana

Return to β€œChit Chat”