Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Dec 7th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Dec 7th

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:01 am

Good morning,

If my high school classes are still with me, this is Pearl Harbor Day. A somber day in our history. We have been fortunate to visit the memorial and view the ship in Hawaii in 2004. Where the war began for us. We've also toured the Missouri battleship which was anchored for years in Bremerton, but about 14 yrs ago it was towed to Pearl Harbor and now is anchored near the Arizona. The deck of the Missouri is where the papers were signed that ended the war so it all came full circle with those two ships. We hated to lose our Missouri, but I guess it's fitting to be there instead of WA.

Yesterday was bad weather for here - chilly, windy, and a bit of rain. Except for a few walks, we didn't go out at all. Walking our RV park is about 1-1/4 miles. We try to do it twice a day. This morning we are having our trailer washed. The guy who does this actually lives in the RV park and only about 30 feet from us so he won't have a long commute. After that is done, we'll put up lights outside. We did get our inside done and a 4-ft tree up and decorated. I'll do photos soon.

I also got out my sewing machine and made another LOTR block. Only took me 4 hours. And after not sewing for 3 weeks, I remembered how to do paper piecing! Yay, me! Just for fun, I put a photo in today's sew-in. Only 2 more blocks to go. I will start, and hopefully finish, another block today. I'm getting anxious to start putting this puppy together.

LORI - Is your son looking to relocate to CA? What about his job? Will the job move with him or will he be looking for a new one? When he goes to house/dog/chicken sit will he be able to take his own fur-folk with him or will they stay with you? (there are two, right?)

IRiSH - have to say, we brought our perogies with us from our Costco in WA. Bill was born in Michigan and they are a biggie there so we have them now and then. I think I like them more than he does! I put alfredo sauce on them. I remember my mom telling me that her hair was very long, too, but after my second brother, Albert, was born in 1938 (back when they made you stay in bed for 2 weeks!) she cut it all off. And kept it short the rest of her life. It was very curly. How big is this tree you are setting up? At home, we go to the mountains or a tree farm and cut a fresh one, usually about 8 or 9 feet tall, but in the trailer, we have a fake 4-footer. I will probably be sick of trying to live around it before Christmas ever gets here, but it's really pretty, all decorated in blue and silver. I was wondering about the eagles! My sis is in FL right now but not near Ft. Myers. I would love it if they took a day trip to see that nest and got to meet Harriet and her live-in in person!

JANA - is the shelf up and decorated now? We have a 4' cement foundation wall all around the lower level of our split level house. So I have a shelf for books, cat statues, pictures, and in season, Christmas stuff. Nice to have your house all decorated. When I put out Christmas decor, I put the every day decor items into the Christmas boxes for the duration of the holidays.

VELDA - Your perm looks so pretty! But you've brought back memories for me of a very bad perm experience. About 35 yrs ago I was visiting my sister when she lived in The Dalles, OR and we decided to go to a beauty school for perms. No teacher was on site but there were two students. Mine was a non-stop talker. She put all the solution on my hair, then rolled it, but whenever she talked, which was ALL the time, she didn't work but just stood looking at me. Finally my hair was all rolled and she set a timer. But part of it had been rolled over 20 min by that time. My sis's perm was done, her hair fixed, and she went shopping AND WAS BACK before I ever came out of the rollers!!. Needless to say, my hair was fried. I had to go somewhere else and get the shortest haircut of my life, and when that grew out, I had to get it cut again. My hair wasn't naturally curly back then like it is now. Never went to a beauty school for anything ever again!

TINA - I love those SW metal sculptures. My sis was looking for them as we came into El Paso - at exit 0. We got lost in heavy construction, pulling two trailers. We finally found the place we were looking for (you probably know it), but his prices were high, high, high. She told him she saw other places were offering 50% off but he wouldn't come down, so we left. She never did find anything but I'm glad you did! I know almost exactly what your flowers look like!

BECCA - oh, we know very well how it is to live with fire danger! Hope your fire will be contained soon. haha! Dogs do rule our lives - unless there is a cat in residence. Cats are the supreme rulers! lol! Most cats can take most dogs any day of the week.

For supper tonite, our plan is to have hamburgers if 'someone' will get the grill set up. Hamburgers and canned baked beans.

How's supper planning going at your house?

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Dec 7th

Post by Becca » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:15 am

Hello everyone for foggy here today Looks like it did when we had the fires Fig is better than smoke
Maryz I Knew you would get those blocks made I remembered it was Pearl Harbor day Cannot even imagine the horror
Irish I see you did find home again We don’t have a tree this year I put everything up except tree & village My back & knees won’t let me crawl under the stairs & drag up the steps like before so we just enjoy what I have up
I am not familiar with your food you mentioned
Tina You are always busy with something Have a great day I hope
Lori I know it thrills you to get your son close Hope he finds the job he wants
Jana I’m sure your shelves look nice especially with the decorating on themI too used to pack in my boxes what I put up to decorate
Velda That is a lot of cookies but if everyone does their part It’s easy go Such a nice project Our church always fixed boxes for them One I help quilts gives out lap warmers each year
Yesterday I made sugar cookies I used to make so much by it’s not eat now Most don’t eat sugar
I did laundry & We are having beans n franks i didn’t get our cowboy beans done yesterday Happy eating to all Becca
Last edited by Becca on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:21 am

Good morning!
Mary, that's an awful perm experience! I would've cried! Real tears!
Yep, it's Pearl Harbor day. We've been brushing up on our history because Jazmyne is studying about Pearl Harbor now and what she tells us is not correct! We've been trying to correct her but she's telling us she knows, ugh what on earth are they teaching kids these days 💔🤦‍♀️
I didn't know that the Missouri had been moved, I agree, it's gone full circle.
If your sister comes back this way there's actually 2 places in Cruces with pretty good prices, maybe she'll luck out and hit a sales like I did.
Oh my gosh you all should've seen the news clip I saw last night! Talk about a cat ruling supreme! I missed where this took place but this lady videoed her little poodle mix doggie on the inside of a glass door and a mountain lion on the outside! You could hear the scared in the ladies voice, trying to coax her little doggie away from the door! The mountain lion went right over to the glass and even put its paw up! It was crazy! I'll see if I can find the video and post a link.
Since all my uglies are done I'm going to sew stockings today. I was too tired yesterday.
We're supposed to be getting a very cold wet storm Thursday and Friday....I hope we get a good soaking!
Hmmmmmm supper, not sure yet.
Tina

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:28 am

Here's the link

https://youtu.be/3r9NKxwCVSA

Becca, glad you have some decorations up ❤ I get lots of help with mine.

Tina

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:47 am

Good Morning,
It is raining here this morning! We are supposed to go to Disneyland California Adventure tomorrow. I think the storm will pass and the next storm is on Thursday. I so hope it is dry tomorrow!!

Maryz- I have a sit-down mid arm machine. It takes me a couple of weeks to quilt a quilt, so I am still working on the same one. I am surprised you are able to get your rig washed, how lucky to have it done in the same spot! So glad you got all settled.

Tina - I should make new stockings for my DH and I. Ours are pretty old, however I have no Christmas fabric.

Becca - I have no idea if there are perogies here or not. I have never had them, nor seen them at the store. I looked for a recipe last year and couldn't find one. Guess I am not missing anything. Are you getting the snowstorm in the East?

I have a Dermatology appointment (referred from my Physical) this afternoon, so we are having leftover Chili tonight for dinner.

Carol

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:34 am

Mary, DS will be taking the furry ones with him. He wants to come here to live with my dad and brother up the street. Brother has COPD and is very over weight. He can't do much. And my dad will be 89 next month. My dad is in a "waiting to die" phase since my mom passed in May. Jonathan has a good connection with him and could help with many things around the house. He refused to give his employer medical or religious information and so they were going to fire him, so he quit prior. He stands on principal.
Hipaa law is being complete ignored and it's very frustrating. He has missed out on so much over the years and feels the need to be near family. He's planning on buying another house, just doesn't know where he wants to land. He's going to take some time off finish up his travel van, and travel a bit. It's a little over half way completed. He's building the inside himself. And yes Pearl Harbor day is a day we should never forget.

Carol, I hope the weather cooperates and it better tomorrow.

Tina, that is a crazy story. I'll take a look at the video.

Becca, lap warmers are nice. I usually have a dog or cat on my lap to keep my warm.

I have an eye appointment this afternoon, and then pick up son from the airport. DH is playing golf, so it's just me 4 dogs and a cat this morning.

Haven't decided on dinner yet. I have some orange chicken in the freezer, so maybe that.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi everyone! It's been busy here. I have tried to keep up with all the posts in between cookies and groceries and laundry.
I got new recipe cookies baked. They are ok, but not a favorite. Don't think I will do them again. But I did get cookies baked for church. I did 5 dozen. Making small cookies, that stretches the dough.
Wow, Mary, that is horrible!! - On the perm issue! Yikes!! I understand why you were afraid to do a perm after that.

Tonight I am fixing Biscuits n Gravy for DH. He likes it so much.

We were supposed to get snow flurries today. So far none....that quite alright with me.

I will have to go look for the picture you shared, Mary. I am curious now. :)
Tina, Wow, that mountain lion really was curious about the little dog. Kinda scary, I think!

Better go check the picture and check in to read the chatter on Secret Santa thread.
Katy hasn't been on the forum for a few days. Hope she's doing ok, with her aches and pains.
It's been a struggle for her lately.
Just peeked in at your block .

Wow! That is awesome! Love the background fabric.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Here's my metal blue flowers.
Tina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:07 pm

Very interesting sculpture. Looks like Blue Bonnets. Beautiful!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Chit Chat”