Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Oct 19

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Oct 19

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:54 am

Good morning,

We are 44* this morning, our coldest morning yet. Though we'll be going to 61* later today. After today, it's all rain and about 50* for the foreseeable future. I love the PNW but we do pay a little price for our lush green country!

Yesterday I finished my Alaskan quilt top and posted a photo. Today I will be piecing the backing. Can't believe I found the purrfect backing - and enough of it! - in my stash! After I finish doing that it's housecleaning time! I'm almost excited about that! lol! Maybe it's been too long since I paid sufficient attention to the dust bunnies . . .

We found out yesterday that we were exposed to Covid last week by the woman who was in Vicki's house and then came over here to discuss ways her church could assist Vicki. Now we have to be tested. We're vaccinated, but so was this woman but she came up positive. Sigh.

TINA, I know you really enjoy your Klobase. Do you wear a wide-brimmed hat when you are out in the sun like that? It really does help. Yeah, my DBIL was texting during that Bronco's game. Especially through the last 5 min. We are football buds. Did you get into your sewing room yesterday?

BECCA - I may have to give up on my poinsettia. I'm going to ask my BFF to watch my plants at her house while we are gone this winter. She is a houseplant person. I might just forget to bring it home. Yesterday we ordered me a fanny frame. From what you and Jana have told me they work well. It's coming from England. My Lord of the Rings fabric came from the same place and it only took a week, so hopefully this frame will be the same. I finally finished purging my craft cabinet. I still need to do a little organizing in there with the few things I did keep though.

VELDA - wow! you have been really busy with your church group! Where will you be shipping the quilts off to? All one place or spread around. My DIL used to belong to a Lutheran church group that made quilts and sent them to Africa. She was the "binder".

CAROL - congratulations on mastering your feathers! I keep trying and I am dismal at freehand feathers. I've finally decided from now on when I freehand it's just going to be meander or loops. I have a DH with a Q-bot do do my feathers, and I know how to use him!

I'm going to make a scramble tonite with kielbasa, potatoes, onion, eggs. and a small salad on the side. I'm thinking soup for tomorrow . . .

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Oct 19

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:51 am

Good morning!
I had a sleep, up for hours, sleep night last night, it made me oversleep this morning.
I think we only got to 55° for our low, it was warm in the house....I think that's why I didn't sleep well, I was hot.
Mary, your Alaska quilt turned out gorgeous! And how awesome to have the perfect backing in your stash and enough of it! It was just waiting for that quilt ❤
I don't wear a hat when we go there, we actually usually freeze and have to take quilts and jackets but it was a beautiful day and hit 80°! I didn't know they butchered the trees like that, that park is usually in the shade always..... not this year. We usually have to hunt for a spot that the sun would peek through the trees here and there. I didn't get a sunburn.
I sure hope you both test negative on your covid test! I wonder if the lady kept her mask on all the time around vicki.
I didn't get in my sewing room yesterday, I got side tracked, then Dirk invited us out to eat and we were in charge of letting Stitch out and feeding him so I ended up staying a couple hours at Holly's in the afternoon, I cleaned her kitchen and swept and mopped her floors in her kitchen and dining room. We went back at 5 and Frankie fixed the kids bathroom toilet, he replaced those water saver guts with regular ones. He's replaced those water saver ones 3 times before in 8 years so he's trying the regular kind like we have..... hoping they'll last longer. We're going back today to take care of Stitch and he's putting a new blind up in her kitchen window. He's just doing some little things that she has no help with and she's fallen behind on doing. He's putting a mini blind up for me right now LOL
As for Dirks dad, he mostly kept all his stuff outside in shreds and it's good stuff, 3 lawnmowers, 2 either brand new or almost and Frankie got 1 of those. There were also 3 chainsaws, same condition as mowers.... Frankie got 1 of those too. And oh you should've seen the tool boxes full of tools! Frankie got 1 of those too LOL. I think things are being shared with Kevin too. There's bunches. Tons went to auction. The house was always kept neat and tidy by his wife 🤷‍♀️ she passed a few years ago and the house still stayed pretty clear of his "collecting"
Well we have plenty of leftover chicken so I'll cut it up and serve on salads and call it supper!
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:18 am

Good morning!

We maybe up to 40 by now. Rained all night. We are so grateful for the moisture. The mountains may get a foot of snow in the high elevations. Now it just needs to stay cold, so that snow waits until spring to melt.

Michael is doing well. They added a breathing toy to help unknot the bronchial tubes. They told him, that they are in no hurry to release him. So glad for that! He is sounding stronger when I talk to him 9n the phone. Not so winded and not coughing. Patience is the word here.

The kids are having lots of fun. Yesterday Matt and family, along with Ethan, went to Universal Studios. Ethan, Baden, and Emma are like the 3 musketeers together. They had a blast. The older boys went off on their own in the park. Ethan got a Harry Potter sword. Y'all know what he wants to be for Halloween. Not sure what today's adventure is. Tomorrow is Disneyland and Ethan is building his Droid that he worked hard to earn the money for. The Droid costs about $100, so that is quite a chunk of change for a 9 year old to have earned. He earned more for spending money too. The one thing he really wanted to do again was to shoot the rifles at Disneyland. It's a quarter for the ammo rounds, so, he went through all the coin containers at his house before they left for all the quarters in them. He is a great scrounger!

Dinner - I have another piece of chicken, but right now, as mybrother would say, I'm not in the mood, so will wait until later to decide on my dinner. Dinner will be quite interesting when Michael is home. His diet is soft food, about the consistency of baby food. Not quite as smooth, but close. Jello, tomato soup and my mom's good baked custard are on his list. Sarah and Sandee both loved my mom's baked custard and have perfected the recipe. Mom never wrote down that recipe, so the girls knew the ingredients and mastered it. Sarah makes it in small canning jars in her insta pot and keeps it in the refrigerator. That will be her job for helping her Dad.

Kate is doing better as well. Aaron is now on his normal days off, so he is taking care of Kate and keeping the girls out of trouble. Aaron and the little girls are on chickens, cats, and koi fish duty while Sarah is gone. Lila loves to gather the eggs and feed the chickens. No Aaron stories today. But wait, snow season is starting and all the idiots come out in the snow. There will be some fun ones soon.

Mary - so sorry you were exposed. Get the good, 2 day test, not the rapid one. That 15 minute rapid one was wrong here 6 times! The kids did both, and each one showed the rapid neg test was wrong. If you do get Covid, watch the blood oxygen number, take Mucinex, and Advil. They all worked great on us here, well, except for Michael. Because of his diabetes, he couldn't take those drugs. Prayers it skips you!

Well, time to get going around here,
Hugs,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:31 am

Hello everyone sunny here started out at 41 Got my walk in early
Yesterday we got news that our friends DD died of a brain aneurysm at 45 She leaves 4 kids & her DH So sad & sudden
Maryz You will enjoy your frame I think
I will check out your quilt Do Hope you are negative Too bad it happened
Tina Your DH is a blessing to your DD I feel bad for her with no help I would be gritting my teeth to stay quiet
Jana So happy Michael is holding his own
Glad the kids are having fun
I am having chicken pot pie I made slaw to go with them
My TGN is bad every night and my nights are hard I go to Dr next week and I am hoping she can offer advice It’s a tough thing to deal with Sorry to vent
Did laundry got it put up Becca

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 am

Good Morning,

I have been up for hours and have gotten a lot done.

Maryz - I guess I should not have mentioned finishing the lesson. It is lesson one of ten that I finished. I finished one of the borders in the quilt as well and had hoped I could do the last border, but am not sure I will have time. Tonight is a Guild meeting. I need to leave about 5:00 PM. The meeting is both in-person and on Zoom. We are going to iron out some technical issues before the meeting.

Becca - So sorry you are in pain with your TGN.

Tina - I would be with Becca gritting my teeth. Glad your husband can help your daughter. So nice to hear he is being rewarded for his efforts in cleaning the house.

Jana - Good news about Michael. My prayers are with both of you. It is very stressful. Take care of yourself.

Vel - The church group is blessed to have you as a member! You are really working hard.

Tonight will be grilled chicken and salad. My DH will be eating later than me and will find dinner in the refrigerator whenever he gets home. His last day is October 29th. I think he will be going in on that Friday to join an online party (he is usually off on Fridays). He has already told them he doesn't want lunch at a restaurant. He had brought home most of his books over the last couple of weeks and now is working on all the other papers. He has other stuff to bring home too! On Sunday I asked him how he wanted to leave his last day. He told me with nothing in his hands. Now he is working late to get things sorted and packed.

Carol

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 pm

working on my mini stockings - learned that you do the hand work on the cuff, before you turn them right side out! Only did one before that lesson was learned! LOL!

Good news on the Michael update - they are letting him eat normal food. No more almost baby food texture and he did fine. He has to watch how fast he eats and swallows, especially with water. But is doing better at eating. Still having a problem keeping the O2 level up, when he moves around the room, so that still needs to be addressed. But we are getting there. They have mentioned that he may get home this weekend, but more likely next week.

Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:06 pm

Hi friends, I know I am late, but busy day here. Off to get groceries at 7 am. When I returned at 8 , the installer was here to put are new storm doors in. Then I had to leave again at 10 for church meeting. After the meeting part, we all carried boxes of quilts, kits, and school bags into church sanctuary to drape the 100 quilts over the pews for " Blessings Sunday" .
After that we all met at DQ for lunch. Fun morning.
Spent the afternoon battling my laptop again. Can't wait until we get a faster speed connection. I hope very soon.
Now it time to reheat leftover pizza and enjoy our supper.
Will share a picture here later.

Just a peek. Hard to see the school bags and folded health kits. Each healthcare kit is wrapped in a bath towel and tied with a pretty ribbon or colorful yarn.
They include two bars of soap, nail clippers, comb and toothbrush. Toothpaste is not for us to add, but I understand that toothpaste is given out with each kit when distributed.
Someone asked about the boxing and gathering. The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod collectively sends to 23 different countries and over 600,000 neighbors.
Our little church made 100 quilts, 100 school bags, and 60 healthcare kits.
It's great to be a humbly small part of such a huge effort.

If you can zoom in, the school bags are sitting at the base of communion railing at the base of the draped quilts.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Chit Chat”