Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Jan 18

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Jan 18

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:13 am

Good morning,

The last few days have been so pretty - nice to feel the sun on our faces even if the temps were a bit on the chilly side. We got in some long walks - it felt good to be out and moving! But the rains moved in through the night so it will be an indoor day today. And you know what that means! . . . . I get to play in my room!

Yesterday I got all my bunny blocks finished, sashed, and sewn together and today I'll piece the border - which is just 4-1/2" squares. Then to figure out what to do about a backing. It's a baby quilt so I want it to be flannel for snuggling and cuddling. I have a lot of flannel in my stash to choose from but finding baby girl stuff might be a challenge. I also talked myself into doing a second set in the spring swap - a birdhouse and two little 'house-hunting' blue birds. I put my sample block up on the thread. So today I'll be tracing the pieces for that block. Sign-ups for the Swing into Spring Swap close after tomorrow. Right now we have 10 signed up.

TINA - I've never had a dog have a seizure, but sounds like they aren't uncommon - your dogs, Carole's Luke, and now Lori's Jack. So you think the postcard deadline is 10 days to 2 weeks? Lara sent a card from Virginia yesterday and will send one with her hubby to work in D.C. so she can get that postmark, too. Maryland is close, so she said if they can get over the line, they'll get one from there, too. And my SIL, Terry, will send one from Nevada. I hope we get to find out when this project is over how many states she got covered!

BECCA - your DGS lives about halfway between us and Port Angeles at the top of the Olympic Peninsula. We got 1/2" and P.A. got 18". So I'm guessing there was plenty of snow to make that snow family! lol!

LORI - let's hope Jack's seizure was a one-time event! Yes, sometimes, when we have a dreary streak, it gets tiresome, but it's just a streak. The sun comes out again and it's so much the sweeter! Our summers are glorious here with sunny days and temps averaging maybe 78*. Some days warmer, some days cooler. Actually, after a few months of that, I pray for some cool rain! I dont' know how people who live in hot climates survive. If the temps go above 85* I wilt and feel sick. Hug your boys for me! And the cats, too, but that goes without saying!

JANA - bummer about the plumbing. But that's a good learning point for Stu. Bet he never does that again! As long as nothing was damaged. Twenty years ago we bought a brand new truck camper at DAve Smith in Kellogg, ID and the first night took it only 25 miles to a forest camp for our first 'shake-down' night. We woke up in the morning to 3 inches of water on the floor! There were 51 plumbing connections in that camper and one, just one, was left loose. We had a time sopping that up with only two bath towels! Back to the dealer we went! For future reference, I love peanut butter cookies. Among my top three with Choc Chip and Snickerdoodles.

IRISH - exciting times for Nick! England! I always thought it was a boring country, but then in 2003, we were there for a week and I loved it! We stayed overnight in a castle in Wales, in a hotel for 2 nights in London, and then rented a narrow boat to float the canals in the countryside for 5 days. We saw Nottingham and other well-known places, drank beer in a pub, talked with local land-owners along the canals, and learned to operate locks to get our narrow boat through the narrow canals. An unforgettable exerience. And Nick is going to LOVE it!! I'm happy for him! And exciting times for you, too, as you contemplate what adventures may lie ahead! Is your house actually going up for sale? If so, I hope it's a quick sale because I know it's a hassle trying to keep a house show-ready all the time. I feel so sad for Harriet and her DH. Here, we just had someone shoot an eagle. They were able to capture it, but it had to be euthanized. There was no saving it. I've wondered where it's mate is and what she's thinking . . . By the way, I like custard pie as much as I like Peanut Butter cookies . . . in case anyone needs to know. :D

Gosh, it's time for new food again. I mentioned to Bill yesterday that there's still carrot soup left for lunch. He just looked at me and asked, "Why do you hate me?" So I guess we all know what he thought of that experiement! lol! So for tonite, I think I'll use one of Becca's recipes and have black beans over rice and maybe top it with some shredded cheddar and chopped green onions. We are totally out of salad greens but we do have broccoli and cauliflower so I might make some roasted veggies, too.

What's the plan for your supper?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Jan 18

Post by auntjana » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:36 am

Good morning!

Frick and Frack are alive and well, living at my house! The flush handle on the toilet in the Master bath broke off yesterday. So Handy Michael starts to take it apart in order to get the right replacement part. He is very good at measuring, etc, and taking the pieces with him to the store. Well, one piece was still attached and needed the nut loosened to remove it. Michael got the tools and tried to loosen the nut - not budging. Got bigger tools, still not budging. Lovely assistant, me, suggests that maybe it is a left hand nut, meaning, turn it the other direction to loosen. Oh no, I am told, he can see the threads and keeps trying it his way. Sounds like it is tightening. So, when we get to the store, find the correct replacement, the package instructions say, it is a left hand nut! Not only the lovely assistant, but brains too! Oh, I will not let him live this one down for awhile!

No idea on dinner yet. Tomorrow will be ribs and macaroni salad. Aaron's request while watching the game. Already told him that during half time, he is to hang a curtain rod in the middle guest bedroom. He agreed. He gets off work just about kickoff, so wil miss the first part of the game.

Mary - we got snow. Only about 7 inches, so not too bad. Michael got the walks and driveway shoveled, so all is good, until the next storm.

Well, time for breakfast,

Enjoy,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:24 am

Hello everyone rainy here so good day to nap read sew whatever strikes your fancy

Maryz She put on they got another dusting yesterday morning Sure kids love it
My carrot salad was good Your Favorite cookies are all my no favorite Mine is ginger snaps

Jana Plumbing woes are the pits But sure Stu felt very bad making a mess Good one on the job with Michael lol

Irish I hate having to keep a house ready to show I always worked when we sold it urs so that meant having it ready everyday to show Hope it sells fast Our fastest was 3 weeks other than first one a niece bought so no realtor involved
England is better than where Levi went Hope he adjust to it

CA is getting a burger at his request & fries. Me a salad wth banned food on top
Made C.A. one of his decadent brownies
They come in a pack of 4 Denise gave them to him for Christmas He loves them
Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:41 am

Good early afternoon from a chilly, dreary, icy, SW.Pa....I stepped out to feed the birds and found ice, then I stepped out to pick up the paper and found more ice....It's supposed to go near 40 and rain but for now, it's "hard" rain and lots and lots of ice...I had just looked out the window and there is a Comcast truck at the neighbor's and the truck slid into the ditch....No one is moving too fast in these parts....

Mary, what a difference in how you feel when you can actually get out and enjoy your walk or just be outside....But, staying in your room has you feeling pretty good also, right? Really anxious to see all these projects you are doing....I did see your swap block and loved it.....Did have to laugh at Bill's reaction to the soup...Poor Jim would have eaten it, not been happy and then tell me "it wasn't one of his favorites"....I often think of all the new things I tried and how Jim would just smile....
I know Nick is excited about his new venture...He has that same "travel gene" that Kathy seems to have and he wants to "see it all"....Last night, he told me he's in that "sit and wait" mode, but he's ready....
We also had an eagle that didn't survive being shot...I can't imagine anyone doing that, just so terrible...

Becca, you being a little more southern, can be glad you didn't get this ice...Hopefully, it will be gone soon...I think I'd rather have snow..At least you see the snow, this ice kind of sneaks up on you, lol....

Jana, when I said, I'd rather have snow, I sure didn't mean what you have...Poor Stu, one lesson he'll never, ever forget....And I love your Frick and Frack story...Every once in awhile, it's good to know what you're doing, right?...And every once in awhile, it's good to remind that other person of it, right? Just please be careful if you're out and about in all that snow.....

Tina, reading through all the things that is happening to you makes me sad...I honestly don't know how you keep your sanity....But, you're a MOM and from what it sounds like a very good MOM....Hoping and praying life settles down, things calm down and you can take it easy.....

Not much happening today....I was to meet my sister at a friend's house and spend the afternoon playing cards and gabbing but with the ice, I'm not leaving the house...I might have a good car but that car loves to stay in the garage....It's been kind of nice having the house in order and just needing to vacuum or little things...Of course I have a feeling, it's not going to stay as clean for long, lol....The realtor is super nice and told me not to worry...She'll give me a warning if and when she's bringing someone over and having a house that looks a little "lived in" is sometimes good....Today, I have to give the fellow who owns the other house a call and tell him what I'm doing...I just wish this was all over and done....If I'm to have the new house, I want to be sitting in the recliner in front of the fireplace, not wondering what's happening.....As you can see, patience is not one of my best virtues...........

As for my dinner, still have some meatloaf so I might make some gravy and mash a potato...Also still have a little pie for afters..............

You all have a great day.....With the latest storm playing havoc with the country, please stay safe....

Happy eating.....................

FavoriteGrandma

Post by FavoriteGrandma » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:25 am

Hi ladies.
We have ice here, and strong winds. I will be staying in the house today. Surprisingly, I think everyone else is also....that usually never happens.
I have put a ham into the crockpot, have some dinner rolls raising, and will go and make a potato casserole to stick in the oven in a bit....and that will be supper, maybe make a salad too, or veggie, and that will be dinner.....
So, have a great day, I am going to do my casserole, then I am going to sew until it is time to put it in for supper.....Becky

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi everyone!
Mary, you sure have been getting oodles done, you go girl! I'd say what gets mailed to Abby by next weekend will be it. I'll let you know as soon as I do about how many they received. Thank you for contacting others for more ❀
Yes, seizures are so awful for our furrkids. I'd never had a dog have one until my cocker before these 2 I have now. Seems like so many breeds are susceptible these days. I think they're trying to fiddle around too much with the lines..... the improvements are turning out to not be.
πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ why do you hate a bill πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ poor guy πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
Jana, I laugh....I tell Frankie all the time, why do you fight it... you know I'm right 98% of the time πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
Becca, glad you're only getting rain. We need rain.
Irish, I think that's my secret, I'm not sane πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ I live in a permanent state of funny farm. I don't like ice, it's so dangerous. I'm hoping all goes smoothly and fast with your house move. Nick will love England! We had an exchange student from there 31 years ago, we still keep in touch with her. She's visited us a few times over the years and is talking about coming back for another visit. She's a Dr, her husband is a Dr and they have 2 sons. Going over to visit her is on my list ❀
Becky, that's great that everyone is home, especially during bad weather so you don't have to worry.
I've got chicken marinating in the fridge to throw on the grill in a little bit. We're going to have grilled chicken salad for supper. Kevin, Maria, Matthew, Dad and us will be eating supper here.
Tina

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Maryz, you would melt here in the summer.

Tina, thanks for the info on seizures in dogs. I had no idea it was so common.

Pizza is what we had for dinner. I was going to make it, but busy so we ordered from our favorite Italian place instead. It was delicious.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

Return to β€œChit Chat”