Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Cinco de Mayo...May 5th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Cinco de Mayo...May 5th

Post by grammiequilts » Sun May 05, 2024 4:33 am

Good mornng It is dense fog here, So spooky looking, Ken is home and sleeping right now...I am trying to be quiet. We will go to 70 today.
I have laundry to do so that is where I will be.
Shower was very sweet and the food was sooo good. Got to connect with a few old friend I havent seen in a while...good to catch up. my nephews wife was there and says he is doing ok still in a lot of pain with therepy.
Today I will try to get the gtube covers made...I usually make a couple dozen. that lasts her for several years,,,I did 2 last night to get back into the groove...She doesnt like snaps so velcro is her choice...It is hard to sew little pieces of velcro.on but I manage. So I will be at the machine between loads of laundry. I missed the prayer circle yesterday as i was at the shower,,,but last night I prayed for all of your intentions. Hope you all have a great day,,,After I get the tube covers sewn I will be at the LA getting the Christmas quilts quilted...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WeeOne

Re: Cinco de Mayo...May 5th

Post by WeeOne » Sun May 05, 2024 5:19 am

Overcast, cool 53° this morning.

Judi, You're a sewing angel to make those covers.

I will continue cleaning after we move to the Newmar campground and get setup.

Hope you all have a Blest day.
Lyn

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun May 05, 2024 5:31 am

Good morning,

JUDI - glad Ken made it home safe and sound. Did you say it's about a 4-hr drive? He must be tired. Baby showers are sweet by definition. :D Glad you had a nice time. Was the guest of honor the fireman's wife? I've gotten kind of confused. Sounds like you'll be busy today between the LA, the sewing machine, and the washing machine. Blessings be upon you for making those G-tube covers. I'm sure Mom is ever so grateful to you for doing this.

SHARONA - No worries - I kept any spices/herbs with a date of 2020 and newer or if they still had a strong scent. Most of the ones I tossed were ones my DD gave me when they moved to VA - 5 yrs ago. And yay for the fountain! I wanna see when you get it all finished. That little rascal Maisie! So when will your load of white boulders arrive? :D Could you run those electrical cords through a small PVC pipe under the rocks like a conduit? I so understand about celebrating when certain quilts finally leave your house! I've had a few like that! Loved your Frasier reference to Lois. We watch an episode of Frasier every night last thing before bedtime. It's a good show to go to sleep on. And I remember that line you quoted!

LORI - we also grind our beans fresh for each pot. Sooo good! Glad your boys got their walk in despite the drizzly day. I think Scottie will miss his today because it's more than drizzly, but we'll be out on the trail tomorrow morning.

LYN -Wishing you a smooth move today. It's only a few miles, isn't it? And I hope you get your cleaning finished so you can sit back and relax a bit. But then, does Lyn ever relax? You always have a loaded plate. When you leave Nappanee, will you go to Hays for a few days? Isnt' that the usual itinerary before heading back to Estes? Does Estes still have snow??

LOIS - congrats on the new size!! And enjoy the gym.

JANA - so what's on your sewing machine right now?

MARY Q - how goes the patch battle? As long as it takes to make one patch, and as many patches are you have to make, that's about the equivalent of a week at a full time job! Who is going to sew on all these patches in time for their meet? I hope you are getting paid enough to restock your thread supply. I like the idea of an El's Angels Patch!! Maybe a little flying quilt? Or arms encircling a quilt? Or a picture of El herself?

CHRISS - I didn't make it physically to the prayer circle yesterday but I did remember to stop and say a prayer for everybody's intentions, stated or not. Is today the big garage sale traipse or was that yesterday?

Today I'm going to bind SSC#3. I have it trimmed and binding ready to go. Then I guess next project up is the baby quilt. It's for my chiropractor. I go to a father/son team of chiros. When their first baby was born 4-1/2 yrs ago I made a quilt of sailboats because at the time they lived on a sailboat down in the harbor. So I thought airplanes might kind of match the sailboats and also carry out of babyhood and into little boy hood. I just need to decide how I want to put it together. I think the planes will all be different blues, 6" blocks. It will be fun to work on something that's not red or green!!

Have an awesome Sunday!
mary z
>^+^<

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun May 05, 2024 6:16 am

MaryZ, I think yellow cornerstones would go nicely with blue airplanes.

There's no snow at the house in Estes, I just took a look on Blink doorbell camera, sun is just peaking over the mountain.

There will be no long stops going west this trip. It will be peddle to the metal to get to Colorado by the 15th. Kaylyn graduates on the 16th. No, I have not made a quilt for her. I will ask if she wants one. Then we will get ready to head to Canada, with stops along the way. Memorial weekend in Hays, then 2 weeks in KC, MO, to see Dr and Garry have some Chelation treatments. Then north to Canada for 2 months.

Needed coffee before shower.
Lyn

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun May 05, 2024 6:42 am

Thank you Lynnand Mary I appreciate the thought,
The New baby will belong to My sisters youngest son.and his wife they ahve one 9 yo boy. The fireman is the oldest son of my sister He is the one who just came through the horrific surgery. (11 Hrs in 2 days) his wife is a L&D nurse,,,they have 3 boys...so this baby girl will be the first girl in the family in 3 genertions...xxxooo

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sun May 05, 2024 6:57 am

Good morning,

It is damp and chilly the hi will be 53⁰ for today so we are having soup I'm making chicken soup and white bean and ham soup.
I had left over ham from Christmas so thats what I'm using.

Also have to do a load of wash then I'm sewing I cut all the vegetables for soup this morning .

Well that all the news for today.
Have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 am

Good morning!

I think that this might be a fly by! It is so windy here, that I think we missed Kansas and are on our way east! The wind rattled and shook the house all night. I wouldn't be surprised to find a trampoline or two in the yard!

Aaron and Kate's house is sold. They neogioated back and forth with a offer and came to a agreement that's good for both parties. Also, Matt's rental up in Logan is sold as well, too. So all that is good.

Church is in a little bit. We are singing two beautiful hymns, that will give me fits in conducting, but I'll muddle though. Odd timing for the hymns. Then home after church and I'll sew. I have several choices at the moment, more OWL, or put the borders on my Christmas Ribbons quilt and ready everything for the LA.

Daniel brought over the final building plans, drawings, etc, for the deck. It was approved, by me! I also sent him all the info for the new flooring. This upcoming week, he'll contact the manufacturer rep and heat up my credit card! Then all the new floor materials will be delivered to my garage. My car will get booted from there for a bit. That's OK, the last snow will happen today and then finally be done with for several months!

Yesterday was Ethan's last cello concert for this school year. He did very well. There was a huge hiccup before. Sarah had to go early and do some last minute concert work, so Joseph took Ethan. Sarah had the Highlander and Joseph took their old beater car, which happened to get a flat tire on the way to the concert. So he and Ethan proceeded to change the flat. The car is a small hatch back, so the cello takes up most of the space, so they moved it our of the way, to get to the spare. This is Ethan's new full size cello, well new to us, and it has a hard side case. You may have figured where this is going - somehow, Joseph managed to drop the car on the cello! Put a hole in the case, just missing the cello and the bow. Whew! This previously loved cello just cost us, $5000, plus the old cello in trade. The bow is quite expensive as well. Tomorrow Sarah is making sure that the cello is covered on their homeowners policy! For any more just in cases. Sarah will seal up the hole on the case and Ethan will have quite the tale to share about it.

Well time to get dressed and re is fast approaching,

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun May 05, 2024 7:24 am

Good morning girls

Happy Sunday!!! The best news of the day is that the patches are DONE and someone came by this morning and picked them up. Must have been early because I had left them by my front door and they were done when I let the dog out (I'm babysat Evie's dog last night)
So now I can get back to normal and after a little bit more coffee this morning I'll be running around the house cleaning up all the messes I've ignored and doing laundry. I don't think I even want to SEE the sewing room today!

Judi..... Baby showers are always so fun, partly I suppose because baby things are always so cute. Was this shower for that First Baby Girl. Glad Ken is home safe and sound, does he have any more traveling coming up. Yup, Cince De Mayo... always remember that as it is my Baby Brother Bill's birthday today. And it's the anniversary of when Alan Shepard went into space!

Lyn....Sure sounds like you have a busy summer ahead. Do you suppose there will be a time you will sell the Estes house and just spend time between Canada and Texas?

Maryz... Definitely doing the happy dance that the patches are finished and OUTTA HERE! I did them last year too but wasn't under such a time crunch. The trick to making an El's Angel patch will be to design it hopefully with files I already have. We can design a picture of a quilt, but if I use say a JPG file for the picture, then I have to have it digitized for stitching. Though I do have a little design of a sewing machine that could work! I did find some cute designs of quilts on Etsy just now.

Lois.... See you in the laundry room.. am headed there myself after my shower! Chicken soup does sound pretty darn good! I think I have some in my freezer that I could take out for supper.

Time to hit the shower!! While I was stitching patches yesterday I was cleaning out the sewing room closet... hopefully to get it more organized, but now all the stuff I took out is on the dining room table... so between loads of laundry, that's what I'll be doing!

Wishing you all a most wonderful day!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun May 05, 2024 9:10 am

Good morning. We're off to a chilly start but it's going to be a great day today. Those kitchen floors will highlight my day followed by completely clearing out the spare room. I've taken a few days off and need to get back into making this house the way I want it.

It rained most of yesterday afternoon, but we were able to get in some yard sales and purchase a few unnecessary items. Found the cutest little frame that will hold, as soon as my stinker of a son sends it, a picture of my precious grandson's sonogram.

On the way home I filled my gas tank at $5.19 per gallon and probably won't be doing much driving for a while. I also stopped at the fruit stand and got some strawberries for the "dessert" I am to bring to my church meeting on Monday.

Judi, before they had heated hoses I used to make those tube covers for my cpap hose. I used flannel and put elastic on each end. Glad Ken came home, I'll try to type quietly so he doesn't wake up.

Maryz, I love the idea of a plane quilt. And that Victory quilt book pattern is perfect. It's going to be adorable. in the last month I have cleaned out the food and spices here that I won't ever use. The food bank from my church is the proud owner of anything that was unopened, and a friend took the rest. She used some and trashed the rest.

Lyn, you are always on the go. I bet you could write a book about your adventures. I also wish you had been able to go with me to the sales. The friend I took told me that she would look at the map and plan our route before we left. I told her if I was driving, she was navigating. She didn't follow through and so we were back and forth because the list of sales wasn't in any kind of order. It was quite frustrating, and I hope I didn't show it. She also told me she would like to help me clean my garage because organizing is her thing. I will be sure to clean the garage during the week while she is at work. I guess my drummer has a slightly different beat.

Lois, oh my gosh. Jerry used to make the most wonderful white bean and ham soup. I'll never forget the first time he made it, I thought he was nuts. The soup was great and I was surprised to see he also made fried potatoes and corn bread to go with it. Who ever heard of such a crazy menu. Let me tell you, it became one of my most favorite meals. Sometimes I would bake a ham just so I could have the bean soup meal with the leftovers.

Jana, have to say I sort of held my breath until the end of the cello story. glad it worked out.

Maryq, so nice to have those patches gone. From here it didn't seem to take you too long. I have messes to clean up here too. It's non ending.

Lori, sweet (but expected) of you to help that little bird. wish I had been there for chili the other night, I like hot dogs, cheese and onion on mine. My parents are in SoCal, Ladera Ranch, My step mom's is from that area and they are visiting her kids.

Sharona, I so want to attend the parade when the quilt leaves the house. I'll look for the news broadcast.

Moose's leg seems to be all better now. Very seldom does he limp. I give him his glucosomine for dogs each day and he is back to his old self. Guess he's just old.

Talked with my son last night. When he is traveling, he calls me and chats as he drives. I'm going to his house for Mother's Day. I told him I wanted to make the drive (3 hours over Pacheco Pass to Salinas, Ca) because if you don't use it, you'll lose it. He was going to come here but I told him he needs to spend Mother's day with his wife because it's her first mother's day.

Dinner last night was a hamburger patty with grilled onions. I also had to eat some of the strawberries I sliced up because a few were too soft. They just don't seem as flavorful as they have been in the past.

Dinner tonight might be spaghetti with zucchini noodles or chicken, maybe parm. I need to go to the store before I make either so I might have a salad and stop at the store on my way to church.

And, since no one has stopped by to do my kitchen floors I had best get moving and do them myself. You all have a fantastic day
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun May 05, 2024 12:16 pm

Well, it's the 5th of May and snow is falling at my house!

Enough already with the snow!

Return to “Sew ins”