Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SATURDAY, May 4th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SATURDAY, May 4th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat May 04, 2024 5:23 am

Good morning,

Another uber early start to my day. 🥱 Even Scottie didn't get up with me and that's saying something.

BECCA - I missed that Levi cut his foot. What happened? And how is his job doing?

CHRISS - it's garage sale day! I consider garage saleing and thrifting to be cheap entertainment. Enjoy! My DD, Lara, used to shop for quality items, and then resell them on e-Bay. She had quite a little business going for a while. You could have fun and be rich, too! I saw the LH fabric on QIAD yesterday, too. It was tempting for a few minutes because she has such cute fabrics. But I, too, resisted. Put that money I saved with the cash I saved by not buying a new machine and I'm rich, too!

DIANE - so sorry to hear of your DH's bladder ca diagnosis. Two of my brothers had it, though they were totally differnt cancers and each had totally different treatments. It's a long journey and you have my prayers.

SHARONA - glad you decided to take your SS. When we became eligible, we did some math. We would have had to live another 30 years to make it worthwhile to wait. However, if it's not needed, then waiting is a good option - or at least taking it and simply banking it. For the record, I also hate fish. High five, Sistuh!! As for money hidden in the house, I know someone who has $26,000 hidden inside their bathroom wall. We also drive our cars to the bitter end. 13 yrs, 16 yrs. Our present car is only 8 yrs old. A "newbie" to us.

JUDI - sorry Ken is going to be possibly delayed another day. Hope you don't hear any of those things that go bump in the night. A dog would be nice at times like this, though not our dog. If at catepillar inches by the bedroom window he sets off the alarm, bringing me sitting bolt upright in bed. He scares me more than all the night bumps!! The book(s) I'm listening to right now are by Peg Cochran. I bet you would enjoy them. Cozy mysteries set in Michigan. Glad you finished your last Christmas top. I plan to get mine done today, too. I'm not crazy about the idea of horse racing either. And where on earth would I keep a hat without it getting smashed the rest of the year!? No, horse racing will never work for me. Have fun at the baby shower. Glad Daddy is home from the hospital but sorry he's in so much pain. Let's put him on the prayer circle list today.

MARY Q - Pink lemonade is a great all purpose pattern for all fabrics and all seasons! And you whipped it out pretty quickly! Did you finish your patches yet? When do you have to have them done? End of business tomorrow? Are you still overnighting with Evie?

LORI - that's so sweet that you saved the baby bird! you are going to hand quilt a 94" quilt? I've done one. Once. I used my grandmother's quilting frame. I don't think I'll be doing another one in this lifetime but you go ahead! It is a big deal getting things together for a retreat. I've never gone on a quilting retreat, but I spend weeks deciding which projects go to Texas with me every winter, gathering fabrics, rulers, etc. I save those clear, plastic zippered bags that curtains, sheets, etc come in and use those to pack up each project.

JANA - I'd be on the lookout for whoever thought it was a good idea to cut that garage door rope! A good thing you didn't have an emergency and need that car! Have you started packing up your living room yet in preparation for new floors?

LYN - are you there yet? Is today cleaning day? Any idea yet how long you'll stay in Nappanee?

I have my SSC#4 blocks finished and half the sashings put on. I'll put the top together today, piece the backing, and it will be ready to go into the quilting queue. If Bill finishes quilting SSC#3 I'll be doing a binding, too. I think for the baby quilt I want to make I'm going to use the airplane pattern from El's Victory book and make all the planes in a variety of blue fabrics. I might do cornerstones and I'm trying to decide what would be a good color for them - more blue? red? yellow? black? What do y'all think? It's for a little boy. I'm making great progress, too, on my hexie quilt. If I keep my poor arthritic hands to the needle I just might have this one done by end of June! But no way am I going to hand quilt it. My hands won't take that. So I'll figure it out later. Not much else on our agenda today.

Chriss has set up prayer circle at noon. I'll be there in prayer if not in keyboard.

mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: SATURDAY, May 4th

Post by grammiequilts » Sat May 04, 2024 5:43 am

Good morning Mary and all others coming to the forum.
Yesterday I got the top ironed and the backing pieced..but that is as far as I got...I think my vertigo is returning and Im not feeling 100%, I have had vertigo for a few years and have excersized to do to alleviate it. I thought maybe it was a reaction to the voltaran so I stopped using that,,,it really didnt help only a little...The only other thing I take besides my reg lar meds is tylenol I hate getting old...I have been doing so well...but the arthritis flair up has got me down.
last night was the Senior Prom for our Nolan, He looked amazing and is a darling guy...I went to the school where they gathered for pictures, Then I came home and pretty much vegged out was in bed just after 930...
I got a text this morning from a friend of my DD she has an autistic child, with a feeding tube,,Ive known Gracie since she was a baby, She asked me to make some g tube covers,,,Ive done some before ( gracie has a feeding tube and these little circles cover the insertion site to keep it dry. ) They do not take much time but I will need to run to Joanns after the baby shower for some flannel. So that will be my project of the day...and tomorrow.
Hope you all have a great day,,,Prayers going out to all who need...And Prayers for all the friends who we havent heard from in a while...hoping they are ok...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat May 04, 2024 7:10 am

Good morning Girls

Just got home from my over night with Evie. I was so smart last night and set up my coffee pot so when I walked in the door I had a nice full pot of coffee to get me through the day! I meant to get home earlier, but slept a little later. Have the embroidery machine up and running already!

I have a total of 64 patches to make. So far I have 44 done, each patch takes a bout 28 minutes to stitch out. The trap meet is tomorrow!! Though I don't know what time for sure. I'm HOPING that I can get them all done by 10pm tonight and that someone will come pick them up in the morning. It did get me thinking about designing a little "El's Angels" Patch!
Any ideas?

Maryz.... Ok I missed it.... Who are you making a baby quilt for? Love the airplane idea. When my nephew was having his first baby, if she had been a boy I had considered that same idea as nephew is an Air Traffic controller and also a pilot! But they had a sweet baby girl--Charlotte and I think they call her Charlie.

Judi... Thanks for the photo last night! OH my gosh, you need flannel!! I bet I have a full tote box of it! Wish you lived closer! If you did I'd share what I have or take you to the Fabric warehouse... they have THE nicest softest flannel ever! It's the "Good Stuff"!!

I'd love to stay and chat with you all this morning, but I really need to keep a close eye on the embroidery machine, there are 6 different color threads and they need to be changed at regular intervals! I did have a brilliant idea tho, since I don't have anything else easy to do at the regular machine, I think I might hack up some scraps into 2.5'" squares and just stitch them together and see what happens! OR I could just completely clean the sewing room! What a novel idea! :lol: :lol:

If I don't get back here in time for prayer circle, just know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers daily and my prayers will join with you all at 2:00CDT

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat May 04, 2024 8:21 am

Good morning!
May the fourth be with you!

We're cold and the proverbial they say, snow tomorrow on the benches, maybe a ncih or so more. I live on the bench. It won't stick, but it always snows around the first part of May.

Uglies are caught up, so I'll sewl. Not much else happening here.

Hugs, and y'all are always in my prayers,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat May 04, 2024 8:44 am

Good morning almost noon :lol:

I'm late but we went to kohls I had to get new Gym stuff because my other one were a 1x and Bill was calling me balloon but so I got an xl 2 pairs of pants and 2 tops so that means we are going back 2 the gym this week .

Well thats all the news from here I will be sewing the rest of the day.
Have a great 1 .
Lois

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat May 04, 2024 9:19 am

A sunny clear day in the Nappanee area.

We had good weather yesterday. Any showers went around or just disappeared. Roads were the issue. We avoid going past Indianapolis, I don't like big cities. So, we always come up on I-57 to Gilman and then head east on Hwy 24. Well 24 had a road closure, so went north on an IN 231 road to IN14 and headed east until we hit another road closure and had to head north again and at Bass Lake took IN10 east. OMG if you want to go on a road that has 90 degree curves, warning 15 mph in a car, this is your cup of tea. I lost count of how many curves there were and I took them at 5 mph. We finally rolled into Pla Mor campground just before 7 ETD. We're just a few miles west of Nappanee and will go into Newmar's campground on Sunday when our code works.

Chriss, garage and estate sales are fun, wish I could go with you. My DMIL enjoyed them and I have a wonderful memory of taking her one time, when we were visiting, to several sales. That day she found a purse which she used for years. We also found a computer desk for my DSIL who had just bought a Gammill LA and needed a desk for the laptop. MIL didn't think we could get it in her car, but luckily she has a big Lincoln Town Car and I'm a good packer. :lol:

MaryQ, I wanted to see what a Lemonade quilt looks like, but I find more than one pattern. Which one are you using?

Lois, Congrats on the smaller size clothes purchase.

MaryZ, We are here for a week or maybe less, if they get stuff done quickly.

I slept in. Time to start cleaning.
Lyn

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat May 04, 2024 11:25 am

Maryz, I love that plane quilt. I'm going to make it one day. I have a hoop for quilting, or can do without. I'm doing big stitch with 12 wt thread. So it won't be near as hard to hand quilt.

Lyn, sounds like driving was a challenge. Glad that's behind you.

Jana, brrrr. I bet you are ready for some sunshine and warm weather.

Maryq, I used to do that with the coffee maker when I was working. I use a French press now. I grind my own coffee and it really delicious.

Judi, I remember when you had vertigo. I sure hope it was the meds and goes away. It can be debilitating.

I just finished up breakfast, so I'll get going now. Our walk was delayed this morning because of drizzle, so we're a little behind. I did some quilting on my small quilt last night. Will work on that more today sometime. I really need to clean up the sewing room. Things are all over the place. Seems that happens a lot.

I think we'll have chili for dinner.

Have a lovely day.

Lori 8-)

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat May 04, 2024 1:31 pm

Taking a break and thought I'd see what y'all are up to.

LYN - I sympathize with your drive! Still better than traversing through big cities! If we HAVE to go through a city, we TRY to time it for about 6am Saturday or Sunday. Doesn't always work, though. We'll drive a lot of miles to avoid heavy traffic. You deserved your sleep-in this morning! You must have been exhausted by the time you hooked up last night.

LORI - happy quilting! I fear I'm nearing the end of doing hand work because of the arthritis in my thumbs and wrists. But I have a few more ongoing projects that I'm persevering through. This hexie quilt, hand embroidery "Over the River and Through the Woods" (didn't you do that one?), and a counted cross stitch picture of a mama bear and twin cubs in the mountains. These should keep me busy until forever happens.

Bill finished quilting SSC#3 and I finished assembling #4. We're both taking a break right now. On his breaks he takes a nap. On my breaks, I wash sheets, remake bed, clean pantry, and spice cupboard. I guess it's a Mars/Venus thing. But the spices, seasonings, & flavorings - oh dear. I found a lot that were way past "best by" dates - like up to 14 years past! Now I think I will trim #3 and choose binding fabric. Then prep supper (chicken alfredo w/veggies) and after that sit and listen to my audio book while I work on hexies.

Off I go - again.

mary z

womster

Post by womster » Sat May 04, 2024 6:49 pm

Good evening!

Maryz – that’s saying something that even Scottie wouldn’t keep you company. Re SS – I knew there was a break-even point somewhere but I couldn’t remember where it was for me. I’m going with your 30 years. I love the sound of the airplane baby quilt. I don't throw spices out unless I can no longer smell them. I have mine organized alphabetically.

Judi – I hope the vertigo is gone by morning. It is awful. I empathize with you feeling down about getting older. And to top it all off, my hot flashes have returned!! What in the world is that about. I still can’t believe Nolan is a senior. God bless your friend with the autistic child, and you also for making those covers.

Maryq – you are very smart to have the coffee ready to great you upon your return. If I had done that, I would have forgotten to put the pot underneath the thingie. I did that at work once – I don’t recommend it. I bet you got all your patches done – that is a heap.

Jana – I had my first knee replacement on May 4th – they kept saying that to me and I finally got it about the fifth time.

Lois – congrats on deflating the balloon! It reminds me of a line from Frasier where Niles told his wife Maris (who was as thin as a coat rack) that spandex was supposed to blouse. LOL

Lyn – Indianapolis has the WORST highway (and it’s an interstate!) of all the places we have been. Sounds like you had quite the harrowing drive. Glad you slept in.

Lori – my sewing room looks like a fabric explosion. I’ll be glad when I can really clean it up. Chili sounds like a wonderful dinner.

We left early and ordered an actual ton of white river rock for where the fountain is. We plugged it in and it actually worked – so exciting! We can’t hook it up because Maisie the Mauler chews through electrical cords (still). We will bury it under the rocks. We had to get bigger rocks because she still puts the small ones in her mouth and takes off with them. It was cold here too – mid 40s with lots of wind. I got the material for that ding dang quilt and it still won’t be enough so I will take Maryz’s advice and join the ends with the glow-in-the-dark seahawk green. Ladies, when that quilt leaves this house I will alert the media and have a parade. Sleep well, my quilty friends. xoxo Sharona

Return to “Sew ins”