Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday April 30,2024

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Tuesday April 30,2024

Post by fabricgirl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:03 am

Good morning,

Yesterday we were up in the 80's this morning we are in the 50's and not going higher then 60's.
Yesterday I did some wash and cut out the juice pop quilt while I'm waiting on fabric I purchased to finish Bill's I will work on the other.
So today I will sew the blocks for the juice pops quilt it's a nice summer throw I'm making for Rosie for her 75 th Birthday in July.

Well there is no more news from here I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

patches4

Re: Tuesday April 30,2024

Post by patches4 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:57 am

Good morning Lois and all who follow,
We hit 90 yesterday high 80 today I think then rain and in 70s.
Lois, the name of your quilt sounds cooling and it’s to be a summer quilt how nice!
Never have thought of quilts for summer cool night what do you back them with and there is no fillers right? Always, ready to learn something new.Sounds great Lois it will be a great birthday gift!
Prayers out to all in need.
Blessings to all, you all are so awesome and precious,
TinaB

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:17 am

Good mornng,,it is 70s again today we ended the day yesterday with more rain. It ihas been a wet spring so far...the weeds are loving it. I will try to get out and get at the bigger weeds...Cannot get down on my hand s and knees to really weed with the knee like it is...My Dr messaged me yesterdya and recommended an orthopedic consult...so I wait for his recommendations today. The surgeon Ken used was fantastic but he retired in january,,the other that we know is retired also. So we will see who is recommended, i was on the look out for a little garden scooter I can sit on. I would like to get the front done before the mosquitos are bad...
I started to put the rows together on the last Christmas quilt..I will work on them today,,,,A few D & Cs to do around here too...( dusting and cleaning)..
Ken and I had a great dinner last night at our favorite Italian restuarant we were going to Olive Garden but they were too crowded...so we ended up at our favorite...a place we usuallt save for special occassions,,,we sat and talked about 58 yrs of marriage...and the manager gave us free dessert winner winner,,,I brought mine home and if it is still in the fridge,,,,,I will have it with coffee this morning, I told ken he could have it if he wanted,,,,he may have taken it to work this morning,,,
Well that is all that is going on here,,,this week I may get the LA fired up and do they tops. heres hoping for the end of Christmas sewing for awhile...
Prayers for all especially those that are missing from the forum,,,I think about them and hope their lives are going well...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

patches4

Post by patches4 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:35 am

Hi again,
Been thinking of all types of charity quilts I wish to make when I get home.
What type of batting do you gals use? Where do you get it?
I have been looking at rolls of batting but seem so wide. Do you piece scraps together ( I have seen tape for that) ?.
I have embroidered 2 crib quilt tops and purchased crib size rolls when they were cheaper a few months ago now they’re higher. I see all the tops you gals do and didn’t know where you go to get batting . Big rolls would be hard to handle for me, I think. I have been told 80/20 batting is good. Just thinking ahead don’t need more scraps around house someone will get upset!
Just thinking have time on my hands.
Hoping and praying the world is kind to all of you today.
TinaB

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:46 am

Good morning!

Awake early. I have a busy day ahead. I have a eye appointment to check on my macular degeneration. It had been staying put and not creating a problem, that is, up to now. One eye has changed, so we'll see how much. Then home and ready my stuff for cinnamon rolls. Aaron is taking the little truck to get it registered. Hopefully this will go without incident. Same place where Stu got hit. Stu can't drive a stick, so Aaron is helping.

The new part for my bobbin winder arrived. I'll get Mr Grumpy to fix that for me.

Happy late Anniversary, J7di! That's quite a accomplishment! I'm almost right behind you, you and Ken have about 9 more than us here. Italian is a great way to enjoy dinner out!

Enjoy the day!

Hugs,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:53 am

Good morning everyone I’m late this morning I slept late I have Bible Study this morning wDr appt in afternoon
Also I have to pick up a few things at Grocery
Yesterday I got business done Went shopping for tops and found one I like
Denise called and was coming today but Dr appointment stopped that
Ladies you all are busy bees I do
Miss yard work but going to Church tomorrow to work in Garden
Don’t Miss weeding lol
Today we have pancakes I always miss them because I’m gone
Hope everyone had a great day and be kind Asmile requires less muscles than a frown
Becca

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:43 am

A foggy morning at Rainbow's End RV Park, in Livingston, TX.

MaryZ, You are correct, this is Escapee's home office and park. No, we're not members, but that's not required.

Lois, Do you put batting in a summer quilt or just back with flannel or??

Judi, Happy Anniversary + 1 day.

Becca, You are so right about a smile. Can you cook in your apartment? My Dad had a frig and microwave. The food in the dining room was good and always 3 or more choices. Is yours that way?

Chriss, I think it's wonderful that your Dad is helping you. Reminds me of my Dad helping me when I was single back in the 90's and had bought myself a little house. Thanks for reminding me of good memories ❣️

MaryQ and Chriss, Google earth can be very interesting and helpful. Yesterday I called a friend, Dan, and asked him to look at a couple different roads ahead of me. I quickest route from the coast to here would have been thru the middle of Houston. I did Not want to do that. Dan found a couple roads that looked iffy on the map, but when he zoomed in could see they were good ones to take. That kept us away from Houston but also cut some time off my route by angling across those roads.

We got a late start, partly because the alarm didn't go off on the new phone. I set it and thought I must have slept thru it because it wasn't the same sound as old phone. Last night I looked and sound wasn't even on. :lol: Had to stop for diesel, which takes about a half hour to do. Rolled in here at 6. Had a quick sip of wine then went to eat. The restaurant Marilyn and Stan were going to take us to ended up being closed. So we tried a new one and they were happy, it was better food. They had terrible storms here Sunday night and some places lost power. The restaurant was obviously one of them. One person told them they got over 7" of rain. We had a good visit and food was very good.

Won't be in a hurry to leave this morning, want the fog to burn off. Hopefully there's no flood issues on the road between here and Texarkana. That's where we'll be this afternoon.

As I drive, I think of the needs for prayers here and say them as the miles go by. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Lyn

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:52 am

Morning
Yesterday I planted about 75 bulbs we bought in march....it was very muddy as we had 10 Inches of rain in 4 days with more coming in tomorrow night. But hey, all the tornados missed us. I was very muddy when done planting as I gave up trying to stay clean in order to work efficiently. But the hit shower felt good when I was done.
Today is grocery shopping then Joe and I will work together to plant 14 trees....I'm tired thinking about it!
I have the last row pieced and ready to put on doily quilt. Quilt will be full size and it's heavy before the batting. I was going to use warm and natural batting, that's my go to, but because of weight I may use poly....I would like your opinion.
Time to scoot.
Flo

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:51 am

Flo, If it's as heavy as it sounds, why not just back it with flannel and leave batting out?
Lyn

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:59 am

Good morning,

BECCA - your days always seem to fill up, don't they. Sorry Denise is missing out on a visit with you. Hope you have a good doctor visit. Do you have a little patio or deck? Can you put some flowers or veggies in pots so you get a taste of gardening?

JUDI - so sorry your knee isn't improving. I pray you get a good orthopod with some good answers for you. I, too, am rushing towards the end of my Christmas sewing. You would think, after making 5 Christmas quilts my Christmas stash would look smaller, but no. I'm glad you went to your favorite Italian restaurant last night that is reserved for special occasions, because 58 years is a pretty special occasion. Is it possible you could find a guy/gal who would come and do yard work for you until you get your knee back in shape?

TINA B - I use flannel or cotton for backings. Depends on who is getting the quilt and the climate they live in and what I have in my backing stash. I have used flannel in place of batting for lighter-weight quilts. It works great, has a nice drop, and fits into the washer easier. If I have a lot of flannel scraps, I sew them together to use for batting. For my crazy quilt, I didn't use anything because all my crazy blocks were sewn onto muslin squares. That and all the seam allowances from the crazy sewing, was all that quilt needed. For really light-weight, you can skip batting completely if you wish. I use Warm & Natural 20/80. The factory is about 65 miles from our house and close to Bill's sister's house. We order a full bolt (90"/40yd) and go pick it up at the loading dock. It comes in a box and we leave it in the box as we use it. The box, standing on end, is 45" tall and an 18" sq footprint. Not too difficult to store. And I do save scraps and sew them together. I used to buy the tape to iron on for fusing scraps together. Cindy uses fusible (1-sided) interfacing and cuts it into strips. Now I just zig zag the pieces and that works fine. I even save small scraps for pot holders, placemats, candlemats, for packing up gifts and packages to mail, etc. And sometimes I just need to enlarge my batting for quilts by a few inches. It all has a use.

FLO - what kinds of bulbs did you plant? Sounds like you were on the edge of that string of storms sweeping across so many states. If your quilt is already heavy, you might consider using just flannel or skipping batting altogether . . .

LYN - I was thinking of you traveling yesterday. We are Escapees but have never stayed in Livingston. I'm glad you were able to reroute through Houston. We usually take the outermost beltway which takes us close to Cindy and Sue so we stop in Tomball for a night so we can visit. Coming back from FL last Jan, we lucked out and went through Houston at 6am Sunday morning. We had all the freeways to ourselves! We stayed in Texarkana a few years ago in a KOA. It was a little rustic, but charming. Each site has it's own porch swing. Easy to find.

JANA - is today cinnamon roll day with your cooking students? YUM!! Count me in! Hope the truck registration goes more smoothly today. Funny photo yesterday in Sew In! lol! And so true! Cats find the darnedest places to nap!

CHRISS - glad to hear you aren't giving up the fun of thrift shopping. And that big sale in Denair sounds like a lot of fun! Maybe you can find a neat container to put all those keys in! :lol: Pro Tip: never throw out keys unless you KNOW for certain sure they don't fit any lock on your property. As sure as you do, you will unearth a secret cash box in the back of the garage and it just might have that zillion dollars you missed out on last week. I think your dad is in dad-heaven working on your lawn mower. He gets to do dadly things, be useful and active and you get your lawn mower fixed. Winner winner chicken dinner! Any baby news or updates?

IRISH - I think Becca needs to come visit you. She misses gardening and you have a garden! Next time you go visit your Kathy in NV, give me a heads up. You just never know - we've been known to hang out in that area now and then. In fact, we've even parked our RVs (my brothers and us) at the Peppermill for a few nights for antique truck/tractor show several years ago. The wedding coming up (Sept?) is your sister's granddaughter? Trying to fit all the names to the right sister.

SHARONA - Is the pollen worse this year or is everyone just talking about it more? Even I am having trouble with it and usually it never bothers me. I'm getting tired of cleaning the deck when we aren't even using it because it's just too cold! Our pollen is maple and maybe cedar. We have lots of huge cedars. It takes 3 people to encircle the trunks, holding hands, so you can imagine the pollen they sprinkle us with. I try to pretend it's fairy dust, but it's not working so well. Yay for finishing the Tee shirt quilt! I always cheer for finishing any project, really, but especially T-projects.

VALERIE - I had to look up your Kira's quilt. It's a neat one! I know you will enjoy it doing that one. I hope you got into the class. I saw there is a U-tube video, so if the class is full, you can be your own class! And oooh.... you can't resist a good Pyrex dish either? I have way more than I need. Just can't part with them.

LOIS - I checked out your newest project for Rosie. Another fun one! Rosie will love it. What day in July is her birthday? We have lots of July bds here. And I love her name. I often wished I'd named Autumn "Autumn Rose" instead of "Autumn Heather".

MARY Q - Yes, since we live on our deck in summer, I have actual "deck-keeping" just like house keeping. We have our old 52" TV on the wall of the house, cushions, quilts, and yes - hand sewing projects for long evenings. We have a thick roomsized wool rug out there that used to be in our bedroom until we recarpeted 5 yrs ago. Come winter we drag that rug into the dining room (just through the sliding glass door) and park it under the dining table. Come hang out with us some evening! And could you stop in Utah to pick up some cinnamon rolls on your way, please? Your valances will really brighten up your house! But no sewing space would really be a nightmare!

Today is my younger sister's birthday. She already has her package from me but I'll need to call her today. Yesterday I got binding on SSC#2 and got #3 together. I'll piece backing for it today and it will be ready for quilting. Then I'll start cutting out the backing for #4. I'm getting good use of that pattern, for sure! For supper, I'm thawing chicken breasts. I'll chunk them up and make a sheet pan supper, I think, with potatoes and broccoli.

I had to stop and fill about 6 bobbins yesterday. So I'm good for a while and I hope all of you are, too!

mary z
>^+^<

Return to “Sew ins”