Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday April 28

Daily discussions.
Becca

Sunday April 28

Post by Becca » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:09 am

Good morning To everyone Going to be a beautiful Sabbath day here Hope it’s a great day for all
May you help others along the way We never know what load they may be carrying
I’m going to Church then I always get calls & take a long walk
Hope all the sick are healing Prayers for Josiah Judi’s nephew Chris and all others who need help or have a need
Becca

purrfect-lady

Re: Sunday April 28

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:04 am

Good morning,

BECCA - what a lovely post you wrote this morning! Do you have Sunday plans with family today?

LOIS - thanks for the tour of your house. So your sewing room is downstairs? I have a split level house - been in it for nearly 40 years now. Upstairs is living, kitchen, dining, and 3 bedrooms, once occupied by 3 kids. Those rooms are now sewing, quilting, and office. Downstairs is our bedroom, 2nd bathroom, and large family room. In winter we spend evenings downstairs in front of TV and fire. In summer we spend evenings on our large, covered deck off the dining room where we have a big TV hanging on the wall of the house. And the house is set in the middle of 2-1/2 acres of thick woods.

JANA - if you just have a little bit of stitching to do on that quilt, would it be easier to do it on your machine than to reload it? I've done that a couple of times. I would prefer to have cleaner kitchen counters, too, but I don't have any place to put the things we have out. So I do my best to keep everything else cleaned up. Bill is good about that, too. Congrats on finishing the quilt! I've presented quilts in trash bags before. It works! The red ties are kind of like a bow. Such a cooincidence about the young football player being the grandson of your best man! And coming from our U Dub! Where two of my kids went. What is his name and what team did he go to? I'll watch for him.

MARY Q - I've had to frog quilting from half a quilt, too. While it was still on the frame. Bill has done his share as well. What a pain! I did look on line (at Lois's suggestion :D ) and found Joann's Frozen fabrics - but they were all sold out at all stores! Amazon was $17/yd. We did find some on e-bay so I got 2-1/2 yds there. If I'd known you wanted my curls I would have swept them up off the floor when I got them cut! lol! And yes, it's short - a wedge cut in back, mid ear in front. I wash, pick, and scrunch. And when it's dry I finger fluff. Pretty easy. No hairdryer. 5 of the 6 of us "kids" have curly hair, 3 are/were brunettes, older sis is dark auburn, I am red, Gene is blond. All our eye colors and blood types also vary widely. We really shouldn't be related except that we all look alike and we all look like both our parents.

TINA - I hope your winds die down soon. I hate wind the most, of all weather extremes. In fact, yesterday we installed two sunshades on the north and south side of our deck - not to keep the sun out, but the breezes which often drive us inside. But at least we don't usually have wind like you do. Nice to have the grands help out with some chores.

VAL - I can't believe Lina is turning 4! I hope you get to go visit. Our neighbors go to Reno a few times a year, always stay at the Peppermill, and because they are repeat guests often get free nights. I have no idea of the cost over all or how Peppermill compares to other hotels though.

CHRISS - that St. Catherine's Church sounds interesting. Lots of history there. Did you attend Mass or a special event? We were lucky enough to attend Mass once at San Juan Capistrano. What a blessing! Literally! How short did you cut your hair? I was thinking if I grew my hair out longer I could put it up in a clip or a messy bun or a pony tail. But it wasn't working for me, so I chopped it short again.

JUDI - how is your nephew doing? Sure am praying for a complete recovery for him so he can return to the job he obviously loves. Did you get any sewing done yesterday?

My yesterday didn't go exactly as planned but that's OK. I did get laundry done. Bill installed 8-ft sun/wind shades on north and south sides of our deck. He needed a lovely assistant and as lovely as Scottie is, he's not good at holding ladders and handing tools. So that took most of the day. I did finish the last 10 blocks in my SCC#3 and cut the sashing. And I started playing with May Lotto blocks and found them much more fun that I thought they would be. SSC#2 is ready for binding so I'll get that trimmed and binding on today, finish May lotto, and get started putting SSC#3 together.

Our supper was tasty last night - baked pork chops, parmesan potatoes, corn on the cob, and salad. Tonite I think I'll make a hash out of the leftover pork and potatoes with lots of onion tossed in.

Sunday blessings on everyone!
mary z
>^+^<

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 am

Good morning Everyone

The calendar says it's spring, but it sure doesn't feel like it this morning. Alexa says we're only getting up to 48* today. I turned the thermostat down yesterday to open up some windows and think I'm going to have to turn it back up this morning!

Becca... You are so right.... you just never know what other people are going through. I try to remember that when I encounter crabby clerks or unhappy people.

Maryz... Did JoAnn have any frozen fabric they could ship to you? Sometimes they have free shipping and if not shipping might be less than the toll booth and gas. I could wash, pick and scrunch my hair but it will look like sticks poking out from my head. Have any of your sibs ever done a DNA test? I know what I am, nationality wise, etc, but I'd love for my kids to get theirs done. I'd love to have an explanation of Jen's Brown Eyes compared to my boys and DEX's blue eyes. I've heard that there may be some Native American way way back in DEX's blood line.

My back is a little better this morning, the trick is to keep moving and keep stretching it. So yesterday I got busy! I put the Lotto winnings together, (will post a photo later) Re covered 4 dining room chairs, sewed some little curtains for my dining room window, washed all the floors, dusted and vacuumed the whole place (it's a small place). Katie had brought whole a huge roll of some upholstery fabric that was actually kind of pretty,---navy blue with teal (the colors in my house) and shades a pink and purple flowers (I know some of you are gagging :lol: ) but it's actually kind of pretty. I could probably make curtains for every room in the house there's so much of it. And for the price (free) if I don't like it in a year I won't feel guilty if I toss it all and do something different.

Not sure what I'll get into today, since the house is clean I may just do find something to sew!!

But first I need a shower!!

Wishing you all a delightful Sunday

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:14 am

Maryq, the fabric sounds pretty. And free is the best.

Maryz, you are cranking out those scaredy cat quilts really fast

Lois, sounds like you have a lot of room to create.

Morning Becca.

I got home late Friday night. Yesterday was recovery day. I was quite tired. Today I'll do some grocery shopping and cook up some meals for dad. I hope to get in the sewing room to create a bit as well. I learned a lot, and have lots of ideas in my head.

Don't know what's for dinner yet.

Have a lovely day.

Lori 8-)

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 am

Good morning everyone 🌞
Lois, we were down to 43* this morning, pretty cool. Don't you just love it when someone requests a quilt from you, I do 🥰
Becca, that is so true, we never know what others are going through and being kind and helpful can really make a difference ❤️❤️ Enjoy your calls and your walk.
Maryz, wind is my least favorite too, I can do cold and hot but don't want that wind! I keep my hair where I can put it up either in a ponytail or clip because of the heat and especially the wind. Short hair for me isn't as cooling as it being up and the wind knots it up and I cry to brush tangles out. I love that shade cloth stuff.
Maryq, golly gee if I did all that my back would be killing me! Glad it helps yours though. Your fabric actually sounds pretty to me.
Lori, loved the pics of your trip! I haven't been there since I was little, I'm thinking we need to go ❤️❤️
I couldn't get back on here yesterday, pages just wouldn't load.
I helped Easton make molten lava cakes yesterday, I got everything ready for him and he got it all put together. He loved them. Jazmyne came to pick him up and ate one too, they are one of her favorites.
The wind is supposed to be less today, 3 days like we've had are difficult to say the least, they were the worst this year. I told Frankie I'm going to bring the leaf blower in and blow the ceilings and walls off, he doesn't think it'll work but I'm determined to try it and have the rainbow vacuum on to take it out of the air and then do the major dusting.
The farmer to the West still hasn't planted or watered. Frankie's nephew said something went wrong with their well they had drilled, I know it had water because they pumped it out for days over the field and flooded it a few months ago, but sand kept coming out too......like huge piles that needed a bulldozer and backhoe to move. We're hearing it was the well drillers fault, something about not packing the gravel right 🤷 the well is 1000' deep is what we were told. So the dirt buries us in the meantime. Yep, I'm complaining. 🤷
Tonight is Dad's night for supper and I'm not sure yet what I'm fixing, I'm not in the mood for any meats, nothing I think of sounds very good so I'm still thinking......
You all have a great day!
Prayers for those in need 🙏🙏
Tina

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:23 am

It happened again Poof goes the post...and at first it wouldnt let me post again,,,so I rebooted and here i am..
Good morning 2 Marys and Becca, It is pouring rain here and has been doing that since 5 am...( I think about building an ark when it does this) We have lots of standing water down in the lower yard, We were supposed to move the camper to the lake today,,but a snafu occured and the storage lot will not allow the old trailer to be moved there without a title...that camper has been there for 22 yrs and no paper work or title can be had ...So My son found a guy who will take it without and move it to his hunting property,without a titile. He is a restorere. so he will secure a title after he restores it...So we will do the moving next week...
My nephew is doing ok will sty in the hospital he was out of bed yesterday but in a lot of pain....if you are squimmish dont read what happened to him...During the first surgery they couldnt get the spike that goes into the leg bone out...while trying they broke an instrument and a piece of it was left in his hip...so when they were done and exrayed the finished surgery they noticed the broken piece, and had to go back in the next day to retrieve it,,,( a real screw up) 2 things you do not want to hear your surgeon say,,,"OhOh!" or "OOOPS".He has a new hip with out extra parts but it was an extensive surgery and he will be non weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks...They have a desk job for him at the firestation (Assistant chief) but he is a long way from there,,,He has a lot of rehab to do... thank you for your prayers,
I did get some sewing done last night,,,cleaned the kitchen and bathroom...I have some laundry to do today,,,so I will hit that today,,,Hope your sunday is blessed...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:31 am

Overcast and not too windy yet.

Yesterday I did 3 loads of laundry at the RV Park's laundry room at the end of our row. I did them one at a time, then brought them back and dried in my own dryer, which has more options. Towels and underwear were last and now need to be folded.

It's packing up day. I pack my sewing machine and supply tote in the Jeep. Also anything else that helps make it easier for the techs at Newmar to work inside and not have to move my things.

We've been invited to a fish fry this afternoon, but not sure if we will go.

We leave for Nappanee, IN, in the morning. Tomorrow evening will be spent in Livingston, TX, where our old Colorado neighbors happen to be. It will be nice to have a glass of wine and visit with them.

Prayers for the needs mentioned.
Lyn

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 am

Good morning. It's going to be a beautiful day today. We should see the mid 70's all week. I love open the house weather.

The parents came over yesterday. Dad is trying to get my riding lawn mower going. I really don't think I will need it anymore this season. and while if it worked I would use it I have other options. Dad just never quits. He's always got a project of some kind going on. I see how he's slowed down, but he's still going.

Had a play day yesterday morning. Today will be a workday before church. Just a few things needing to be done here and there. Why do I accumulate so much stuff. I'm thinking that I need to stay away from thrift stores and yard sales or at least limit them.

Becca, so true that you never know what others are feeling. And so often when asked a person says I'm fine. I pray that my friends are truly fine and that if they aren't they would say so. A long walk sounds nice, enjoy.

Lois, great idea for a quilt for your son. And you already know he will love it. Is the green stuff pollen?

Maryz, I really like hash, and when it's topped with a runny fried egg all the better. For me it's a seldom meal anymore because of the carbs. I was my dad's lovely assistant. It's good to be needed. I think it was a Mass that I attended. They had communion and a sermon. It's only the second time I have been in that church and the third time I have attended a Catholic church. I'm not familiar with what is what in that respect. My hair is half way down my neck and what was all one length has been layered. I can still put it in a pony tail but it's not a long pony tail.

Maryq, I'd love to see a picture of that new to you curtain fabric. How cool to have that drop in your lap. You were quite busy yesterday. I also had to take the chill off the house yesterday morning. Today the thermostat says 63 as I sit here typing with a quilt over my lap. Later on I will get to open up the house.

Lori, I also have a lot of ideas in my head. I'm so glad you had a fun time and learned a lot. I really enjoyed the pictures you posted. Some really cool things to be seen.

Tina, a thousand feet is a deep well. Not sure what it costs there to drill a well but here that would be a fortune. My well is about 150 feet deep, maybe a little more but not 200 feet. I'm sure you've thought of everything but is there something you can plant between you and them to act as a wind break? Hmmm, a no meat supper. chili relleno's?

Judi, Wow, hope your nephew gets well soon. what a story. so glad it's all fixed.

Lyn, do you think if I showed up at the fish fry and pretended to be you they would let me in? I love fish. safe travels.

My day needs to get started. Not sure which I will tackle, the spare room or the garage, but whatever I do I will make progress.

Wishing you a marvelous day,
chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:01 am

Good morning!

Well, I'll try this again! My tablet dropped and when I picked it up, poof, the one ai was working on, gone!

Maryz - the young man's name is Rome Odunze, and he plays wide receiver. The Chicago Bears drafted him in the first round with the number nine choice. His grandfather wanted to attend with him, but due to a traumatic brain injury from a bike accident in 2016, couldn't. The story in the news told of all of this.

Daniel was over yesterday and went through his check list for spring start up. He always did this with the big tractors he drove on the rice farm each spring. Ours passed. Then he was happy as a pig in you know what, driving ours around, just to be sure. He mowed the grass, even though it was wet. I made comment to him and of course his answer was, that's not a tractor. 9nly tractors are the big ol' ones he drove 9n the farm and they were red!. He's a International Harvester guy, ours is a John Deere. Daniel also helped Andrew with his Eagle project.

We reloaded 9nly part of the quilt on the LA. The edge was all that needed to be redone. So with some clamps we got it done. My LA has been fussy about gliding on it's carriage, so Mr Grumpy found the problem and fixed it for me. He's good to have around!

Church is in a few minutes and I'm running behind schedule. Conducting the music means you can't be late and slip into the back row! LOL!

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:16 am

I'm back for a few minutes.

QIAD was having some internet troubles yesterday or so thinks my computer guru. I was able to get on but it was very slow. Guru checked it out, thinking it was on our end but it wasn't. He concluded QIAD was probably having issues or was updating.

JUDI - Your poor nephew! He is a tough guy though, and I'm sure, with a few prayers he's going to do fine. But what a journey ahead he has. God bless him.

MARY Q - you really got a lot of stuff done yesterday! My back feels better, too, if I get up and move more, especially doing different types of activities. Motion is the lotion that keeps us in locomotion. I have had my DNA done. We were always told we had Cherokee in us. ha! With my pale complexion and red hair, I was always skeptical. But nope - no Native American blood in our family after all. However, my Gr Gr Grandparents (Rufus and Polly) took in a Cherokee "ward" and raised her so that's probably where the story orginated.

JANA - glad your TRACTOR passed muster! Ours is a John Deere, too, named "Scout". Good news the quilt is all repaired and ready to present! More good news - your lawn is now mowed! Ours needs it, but like yours - it's wet and that makes for good excuse to skip it for now. Or so I'm told.

TINA - I would hate living with all that dirt! Ugh! Wouldn't using the leaf blower just spread the dust around even more? When I don't want to cook a "meaty" meal I cook pasta and add any/all of a variety of things - muchrooms, olives, tomatoes, capers, pepperoni, black beans, artichokes, chilies, peas, or whatever else I can think of. Or sometimes I keep it very simple. I add garlic, olive oil, basil,(my version of pesto), and top it all with parmesan cheese. One of our favorite meals.

LORI - welcome home! We missed you! Isn't Santa Fe cool! So is Taos but I've only been there once. Think about making a few notes if you haven't already about your class. With catching up on things at home, caring for Dad, etc, it might be a while before you get time to circle back to try out your new ideas.

LYN - Prayers for you as you travel! You must be OK from the line of storms that have been hitting Texas and other states since you didn't mention then. Be safe.

I was in the garage early this morning and heard little noises, like a bird fluttering trying to get out. I investigated and found two baby mice who had fallen into a 5-gal bucket and were trying to get out. They were so cute! Not being the mouse-murderer my DH and cat are, I carried the bucket out to the woods and turned them loose. Happy mice!!

I've made a couple more May lotto blocks, cooked breakfast, and now I'm off to shower. Be cool!

mz

Return to “Sew ins”