Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday April 21

Daily discussions.
patches4

Sunday April 21

Post by patches4 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:54 am

Blessings to all on this beautiful Sunday.
May you all find something good today that makes you happy, feel loved and well.
Enjoy your day today.
Thankful for all of you.
Tina B

fabricgirl

Re: Sunday April 21

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:13 am

Good morning,

Thank you Tina B for opening the thread.
Today this is going to be quick Sandi and Olivia are coming for a visit I need a haircut my hair looks like a big fluffy cotton ball now that I have painted that picture you can all have a good laugh.

Well thats it for now will come back later

Lois.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:56 am

Good Morning everyone must be sleeping in today. I was up at 7 and started the lundry I never got to yesterday...I came home from half the volleyball tournament, They break it up into 2 halves. we only stayed for 1 since Ken had some things to do. I came home and after a week of fighting a cold I sat in a chair and slept for 2 hrs. It was something I never do. but I feel ok. got up and trimmed more hst's went back to bed at 930. Woke up this morning feeling ok I think I am past the worst of it.
So today laundry and I think I will make chicken tenders for supper. I am thinking scalloped potatoes....it is cold here we are in the 40s ,,,in a week we will be in the 70s and 80s...I have a busy week next week...so I wont get a lot of house stuff done....My knee feels better,but not great...growing old aint for sissies...I cannot get much yard work done around here anymore and not sure the budget can handle anyone doing it for me..The grands are busy with their stuff so I is getting a little neglected out there,, maybe next week if my knee feels better I can get some clean up done...Liam says he will help but pinning down a 16yo is hard...He is on a golf team at school and they play almost every day after school and tournaments on the weekend. e shall see Im sure God will provide if we ask....hope your day is going well....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:21 am

Good morning,

Yesterday we were having such a pretty day - warm and sunny. I was going to go sit on the deck and bask when I finished one last block and suddenly it was dark, windy, and the temps plummeted. Sigh. I was forced to keep on sewing. Mom Nature is such a kidder!

TINA B - thanks for opening the thread this morning!

LYN - Good news that Christian went home. Hope you get a detailed report soon. How is Kaylyn doing? Glad you found a solution for the boat, at least for the summer. Though Jana mentioned shrink-wrap. Is that do-able? Perhaps one day a lean-to added onto your garage? Would Garry notice if you sold it? Just a crazy thought there . . . . Did I think that??

CHRISS - I'm glad you are learning to accept a bit of help now and then. You really are not alone. And I hope you did something you enjoy for your "day off". All work and no play makes Chriss a dull girl. Everything doesn't have to be done immediatly. Oh - and a Yankee Dip Sandwich is just a French Dip only made with a burger patty instead of roast beast. We shape it to the shape of the hoagie roll and grill it. We had it with baked beans and pickles last night. That 1850 restaurant in Mariposa sounds very interesting. What did you have? It's very nice of you to pass on the helping philosophy by giving that lady rides, but if it becomes a regular thing, you may think about telling her you are available, say, only on Tuesdays or whatever day you say. At least so she can plan her errands/appts for just one day since you have to drive so far for everything. But maybe her family will step in to help on other days.

TINA - I bet your flowers are pretty. Great that Frankie is helping in the yards. Bill mows (with the tractor), and if I rake up debris piles he will pick them up (with the tractor). He does set up his system of hoses, sprinklers, and timers every spring and he dug small holes for some plants I planted last week. I really need to divide my iris and replant. They quit blooming. For that muscle pain in your chest, have you tried anything like Biofreeze or Icy Hot? Biofreeze even helps my sore hands/wrists when sewing.

JANA - You and your driving sound like my mom and her driving. My dad taught her to drive on their Model A when they were first married in 1934 and she was off! In her younger days she wanted to be a stunt driver! She was renouned for her lead foot but somehow never got a ticket. She also got a kick out of smokin' the kids at traffic lights. She was a fun mom. I bet you are, too!

IRISH - oooh, I hope your sis and her ear is/are better today. There is a "thing" called candleing for ears. You can Google it. My massage therapist has done it (not on me!!) and says it works great! Ha! I would have set my hair on fire! Personally, I wouldn't recommend it but your sis sounds like a risk taker. :D I can't believe Lena and Emma are already registered for Kindergarten! Seems like they just got themselves born. And yes, it looks like my brother's lady friend is going to be sticking around for a while, but when I see him in August, I'll sing your praises to him! You never know - it never hurts to have a back-up plan!

LORI - have a fun time on your trip! We'll want all the details and a few pictures when you get home.

VAL - you're sick again? You need to stop hanging out with all those sick people! A risk in the nursing profession. I hope you're back in the pink again soon - and stay that way!

FLO - what kind of bulbs did you plant?

MARY Q - feels good to get all the will stuff taken care of, doesn't it. I hope you liked your attorney. We found a good one in Tacoma. He specialized in elder law, which is what we wanted/needed. Did you get the wedding quilt squared up?

LOIS - Yes, you do paint a cute picture of yourself! :D Congrats on your weight loss. Did your dental woes help with that? I'm sorry, but I think, for myself, I'd rather keep the weight than go through what you did. But at least you had a silver lining! Did you get your 1-1/2 blocks finished? Pineapple blocks are so time consuming.

JUDI - I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and hope the healing trend continues. I hear you on the yard.
I've worked on simiplifying ours so it's less work now. How are you doing on those HST's? I had to make bunches of them (about 90) and started trimming them until I realized I was making pinwheels. Other than to trim off the little ears, I didn't need to trim them, but could put my pinwheels together and then just square up the pinwheels. And I'm still diligently working on my hexies every evening, thanks to you. Progress is slow but steady.

Yesterday I did laundry and sheets and remade the bed. Still using flannel here. I love flannel. I even dried them on the clotheslines! And I got 9 flower blocks made for my Patches of Posies (POP) quilt. Today I'll make leaf blocks and and maybe the last 10 pinwheels. Our Supper group from the other night - all Bill's workout friends - well, one of them is expecting 3 grandbabies in May, all boys (identical twins and a single). The others in our little group are doing gifts - one is crocheting 3 little afghans. So I'm thinking I should make 3 baby quilts. Arghh! I want to do it but don't want to do it, but probably will do it. So once I finish Posies, I guess I'll be in baby quilt mode. My to-sew list is growing long!

Have a blessed Sunday!
mary z
>^+^<

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:26 am

Good Morning All
I have been busy. We moved Jim from the crappy loft to Clayberg in Cuba Ill. The Loft got worse as time went by. The new place is cleaner and more CNA's to take care of patients. Hopefully they can get him moving again. Not any cheaper. He will get a shower once a week and a sponge bath daily. This place has a lot going for it.
I took three quilts to my quilter and will pick up Friday. My challenge piece, the chicken salad quilt and the Elenor sew along quilt we did awhile back. I will have someone post pictures after I get the binding on. One at a time ladies.
I tried to mow grass yesterday and about froze my hands. It was 36 degrees. I got part of the yard done. I sit on an acre. The front I will do after picking up sticks. Probably tomorrow.
Today going to Cuba to have lunch with Jim. Then home to pick up sticks.
I have been working on my OWL quilt. Just not enough time in a day. If I get one more block stitched down I will sew the three together. One row at a time is what I am aiming for.
Tina B You get all you said and more. Yes it has been cold in Illinois for last few days. But warmer today.
Lois I need a haircut bad . I am going really short again.
Judi You better believe growing old is not for sisses. The darn yard work is going to do me in. I am going to look for someone to cut my grass who does not charge a mint. I talked to one guy he wants $75 an hour. I just cant seem to handle eveything anymore.
Barney is getting trained. He will sit ,laydown,shake and do a hi five. He also will leave a treat until i tell him to get it.
Well I need more coffee and get ready to go.
Y'all have a great sewing day
Katy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:06 am

Good morning!

We are warming up nicely. Almost 50 early today. It's nice to be warm! Church is in a little while, then home for me to make brunch. After all that, it's playtime in the Batt Cave. Spent much of the day down there yesterday. I finally got all the embellishments sewn in place on my Kimberbell Candy Corn Halloween quilt. It's up on my design wall waiting for my photography skills to share with y'all here. Michael puttered around in his railroad mess. He's finding stuff he doesn't remember. He was looking for a special set of boxes- they're flat and need to be assembled, but he hasn't found them yet. These are a special size that can hold his engines and cars. Then stack neatly on a shelf. He and Daniel have added a few more trains from train shows, so to keep them dust free, etc, they get in those boxes. But alas, he's still looking. Humm, maybe his deeded area of the Batt Cave will get clean? Wishful thinking, but not likely!

Stu and the rest of the family worked on de-trashing what was left at packing up Aaron's and then they started on the final electrical wiring and insulation on the she shed. That was mostly done, so it won't take long. Stu is living two lives, one sleeping here and his other life, at his home, Sarah's where his computer and stuff is. Good thing it's only a 3/4 of a mile drive.

Andrew has a job. He's working at Jack in the box, right by his house. Jack in the box is a fast food joint. A local staple in California, but we finally got two here in the valley. Jack in the box is one of my down falls. I love their sourdough Jack burger with curly fries! So far, I've behaved and not ordered one. The store has only been open a couple weeks. Jack in the box first started the talk to order remotely from you car - they had a clown head, Jack, where you ordered. I had a antenna ball that was their mascot, a Jack ball, on my Volkswagen bug for years! Heck, if I had a antenna now, I'd have one on it! I' even had a Union 76 gas station antenna ball too. I love being silly! I drove a yellow 62 Volkswagen bug and the fun - errrr, trouble - my girlfriends and I got into! At least it stopped short of needing bail money LOL!

Well, time to get dressed for church, being up in front of the Ward, I do try to be somewhat presentable,

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:40 am

Good morning Girls

I see the sun!!! After a couple cloudy days.. it sure is nice to see the sun shining again... Now if it would just warm up a bit... I'd be tempted to was a couple windows. My windows face east and north, so by afternoon the sun isn't beating down on them!

Tinab... Wishes for YOU to find something today that makes YOU feel happy and loved as well!!

Lois... Ah yes, thanks for the chuckle... I can now picture you with a big Cotton ball on your head! I think we are all just a little envious that you have Olivia to make house calls for your hair cuts! I think Chriss had a good idea... Olivia could be a traveling hairdresser and keep all of us QIAD looking pretty!

Judi.... That's got to be the most frustrating thing about getting older... wanting to DO so much, even the little things and not being able to do them anymore. I used to paint any room in the house when the mood struck me, now the thought of getting on a ladder scares the bee-jeezus out of me. It's especially hard to do anything when something hurts! Glad the knee feels a little better anyway. They didn't recommend an anti-inflammatory for it?

Maryz... Yes, I liked the attorney very much, we sat and chatted for quite a while and since I have a will already, she said I really didn't need to do much, but that she would put together a good "package" of info that would cover all bases---End of life, DNR/DNI, specific gifts etc. She explained how probate works etc, which I never understood before and the option of putting my stuff in a "trust". You're going to make 3 baby quilts before MAY? How about cheating and finding a cute baby panel? OR the MSQ self binding baby blanket? But then, I know how fast you can put something together, so I'm not worried! :D

Katy.... Yikes!!! $75 an HOUR???? I had an acre too and it was $60 to mow, weed wack and then blow away the loose grass. It was usually every week tho, so it got pretty expensive. Glad you go Jim moved to a different place, I hope he will be happier there and it will be nice if he gets better care.

Lyn.... You don't take your boat up to Canada? I bet that would be real pain, probably easier to rent a boat up there. Does Garry still like to go fishing when you are up in Canada? Do you not use WiFi on your phone all the time? I keep mine connected to wi-fi all the time... just seems to work better if I want to check the internet or email from it. I have an unlimited data plan so it wouldn't matter, but it just works better on wifi.

Chriss... Oh my dear, I so get it... SO hard to ask for help and to sometimes take it when it's offered. But I think God puts those people that offer in our lives for a reason. I too HATE asking for help and feel guilty for asking for it--especially for things I SHOULD be able to do myself.

Jana.... Just once before the kids take away my car keys I'd love to have a little convertible for a while. Only probably would be getting in and out of it!! Maybe I'll rent one sometime and go for a joy ride. OH how I would love to have the 67 Mustang my dad bought back then!

Tina...Sorry to hear your money tree died. I've never had one of those, are they hard to grow? I wonder if the association would let me plant one outside my door? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yesterday I did manage to get the wedding quilt squared and the borders on, so it's ready to go to Viv's for quilting, as soon as I find backing fabric for it. After that was done I just kind of cleaned up a few little unfinished things and sorted through my batting scraps. I'm going to take a bunch of them down to Viv's with fabric to make my own "Pre quilted" fabric--thought it would be a great way to use up some pieces of fabric that Katie has given me and some other stuff that's been in the stash for years! Easier to whip up some cute tote bags if it's all pre-quilted. Might even do enough to make myself a little jacket or something... but wait.. who am I kidding... that'll never happen. Today I'll probably get some more things together for Viv to quilt for me... I have several tops done and just need to get the backings ready. Now that she's feeling better, she's ok with me bringing her more projects. I'm going down there on the 16th of May.

For now I need more coffee, some music and a shower... in that order! But first I'll go post a picture of the little bags I made.

wishing you all most wonderful Sunday

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:19 am

Good morning. Today is going to be a wonderful day. We are supposed to see the high 70's today and tomorrow but will be cooler as the week goes on.

Dinner out last night was a real treat but my gosh the restaurant was noisy. I mean grammar school cafeteria noisy. My friend told me that eating out is just noisier than it was when I was young. I really almost never go out to eat so didn't realize things had changed.

Today I need to go into town and pick up something for a friend's birthday tomorrow. Not quite sure what just yet. She likes to garden so something plant related. We have a nursery in town but I'm not sure what they have. Do I go up the hill and hope to find something local or go down the hill and find something while doing some grocery shopping that really doesn't need to be done yet.

I'm also going to set limits on the lady who had the car accident that I have been shuttling around to doctor appointments. I'll get her to her appointments but when this group of appointments is done she needs to find alternate transportation. I thought it would be an appointment here and there but she has 6 lined up between now and May 14th and they are in different directions. She does have other options and needs to utilize them.

I still have some weed eating to do, but have my clearance and the man came and did the part near the road. I'm in a good place weed wise. Trying to come up with a way to redo my fencing so I can put some kind of critters in here to eat the weeds but that is costly and requires a water source, also costly. Not sure I want my well pump to be used that way. Water is so important.

Tina, I think you will like the pink salt. I dont use oil often but when I do its coconut oil.

Tinab, thanks for waking me up so cheerfully, a smile is a great way to start the day.

Lois, I did laugh. I got my hair cut the other day and was thinking how blessed you are to have Olivia.

Judi, isn't it amazing how a good sleep does wonders? So glad you are feeling better. Hopeing the yard work fairy sends you a helper. Everything always works out when you have faith.

Maryz, what size is a good baby quilt size. 36x36? A big simple block with borders would be quick and easy to do, HST's are easy. You go girl, make those quilts. My day off yesterday consisted of making Marilyn a tote full of stuff and cleaning up my bedroom. Yes it was work but it's what I wanted to do. Last night I had the steak salad. My gosh I loved it. I'm pretty cheap and don't ever go out to eat. This was a real treat. I brought half of my dinner home.

Katy, glad things are moving forward for Jim. Will he ever get out of the home? Here people charge between 20 and 25 per hour for weed eating and mowing. But an actual gardener charges much more. Perhaps a high school kid looking to earn a few bucks can help. Or find your local HICAP office to see if they have a directory of people who do services for seniors.

Jana, you made me laugh about Jack in the Box being a staple. When Richard was young we'd go there for tacos. two for 99 cents, he'd order a dozen. Marilyn loved their pancakes, 12 small pancakes for a buck. She'd order $2 worth. Curly fries were my downfall too. with ranch dressing. So glad fast food is 30 miles from my house. I also had a Jack antenna ball and going though things here found a Jack pez dispenser. I love Jack.

Maryq, love your little zipper pouches. they are a nice size. I am learning to accept help. There's a learning curve involved.

Not completely sure which direction I will go in today. But I do think it will start with my calling the lady who I am shuttling around and letting her know my services will expire mid May. I will also go get something for my friends birthday. Maybe a gift certificate to a nursery would be the ticket? I also need to do some watering around here.

You all have a wonderful day.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:26 am

Good morning everyone 🌞
Tinab, thanks for opening and right back at ya πŸ₯°
Lois, LOL you sure put a smile on my face 😊
Judi, your body must've need that nap and a good night's sleep. Glad your feeling better. I sure hope your grands can help you out with yardwork. Jazmyne helps us at at times, she loves riding the riding mower more than pulling weeds though LOL Easton and Preston will rake and clean and pull weeds but they haven't been over for a long time πŸ’”
Maryz, πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ I just had to laugh at asking Lyn if Garry would notice if she sold the boat, too funny.....but hey ya never know Lyn, he might not notice, he might just think it's in storage πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
No, I haven't tried to put anything on my chest, really didn't think about it since it's right over my heart, but the Tylenol helps.
I counted yesterday, I have 28 pots of either flowers growing in them or that I need to thrown some seeds into so they're pretty again.
3 baby quilts? I'm not sure if that would be a chore or fun thing.....
The ear candle thing is pretty popular here with the older Mexican ladies and their homeopathic routines, I've watched it be done, it draws crapola out of the ear and the heat soothes the ear.....I think the candle isn't actually lit at the time though just beforehand but I can't remember for sure.... it's been awhile.
Katy, good to see you! That's good Jim got moved to a better facility. Wow you're really cranking some quilts out, awesome! $75 an hour?! Holy guacamole batman that's crazy expensive! I thought $14 was expensive, you win LOL. I sure hope you can find someone reasonable to help you out, do you have any grands close by? Ask friends if they have any grands you can rent πŸ₯°
Barney is such a little sweetie ❀️
Jana, I hope Michael finds his boxes. Jack in the Box is one of our favorites too and yep we love their sour dough jack burger too, good thing Jack in the Box is in Cruces which is an hours drive away.....we only eat there about twice a year, we try to be good.
Maryq, glad Viv is doing better and a double win for you to be able to get things quilted again. The only money tree I had died in the thought process πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
I don't do ladders any more either, very scary. I stand by Frankie when he gets on one, he'd have a soft landing that way πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
Chriss, I have the salt in my cart for next order. Maybe your friend would like a yard ornament? I love mine and love the solar ones too. Our chickens do a pretty good job at keeping weeds down in their 100x100' fenced in yard and bonus we get eggs and they are very friendly 😊 how big of a space are you thinking of fencing off?
Today is going to be another beautiful day here, I have a hard time staying inside when it's so nice outside. The hummers found the feeder and are happy.
Supper tonight will either be fish or pasta salad, I haven't decided yet.
You all have a great day!
Prayers for those in need πŸ™πŸ™
Tina

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:53 am

Cool sunny day.

We need to get to the coast on Tuesday. Will have less than a week before we start the spring/summer travels.

MaryZ, My 2 cents worth, my daughters and nieces have appreciated oversized receiving blankets with matching spit rags or bibs, more than quilts. I make them bigger than store bought. I usually buy 1 1/2 yds of flannel, wash and finish is width by 52" or so. There's enough left for spit rag or bib.

As for this boat, Garry wants a car port type cover built. I can't justify building one when this boat needs to be sold. It's unsafe for Garry, he is not steady on this feet on solid ground at times, let alone in a moving boat. I am aware of shrink wrapping boats, but haven't seen them do it down here.

No news about Kaylyn means she is fine. Stacey took photos of Christian's bike, he lucky to be alive! His healing will take time.

MaryQ, No, this Texas boat is for the bay waters of the coast. In Canada we have a Lund Tyee 19.5 ft boat that was built in New York Mills, MN. We had it built in 2003. It's built for lake fishing. It has high sides and is easier to get around in. Much safer for Garry and when the Gkids were little and went with us.

MaryQ, As for my phone, no I don't use it on WiFi much. I'm coming and going to much, it's easier to just use data and it's unlimited. I have not had problems checking email or internet, when on data. My last phone started doing the same thing, 4 yrs ago.

My to do list is long and I better get to it.

Hello to everyone and wishing y'all a fine day.
Lyn

Return to β€œSew ins”