Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday April 5th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Friday April 5th

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:17 am

Good morning It is cloudy again...but I do see a bit of sunshine at the horizon...I am off to baby sit the great grand child Navy it will be a joint effort since DDiI the gramma can do everything for her except lift her into the high chair and into the crib if needed ( she doesnt sleep in a crib at home...My great grand kids are all co sleepers with their parents.) We never did this but apparen tly it is a trend. im glad we didnt do this...
I did get most of the borders ontp the quilt last night I swear this is a long term quilt...I want it done but phone calls and interuptions are getting in the way of my sewing,,,
Hope you all have a great day,,,,Im off on another adventure,,,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

velvet

Re: Friday April 5th

Post by velvet » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:54 am

Gram--enjoy your babysitting "job" make sure you get paid with hugs and kisses.

Today helping with a QOV at the vets cafe with Laura. It is always fun to meet and talk to the vets when they come in. There is a communal table so that no one sits alone. Its not a big place but it gets filled with family and tears. I always have tissues with me. I could go on for awhile and it amazing that it only cost me my time--they spent years in far-a-way wars.

Well, I smell the coffee ready. Prayers for those in need.
Diane

womster

Post by womster » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:55 am

Good morning!

Judi - I never did get the co-sleeping thing either. I thought you were going yesterday! Good luck on getting your boarders finished.

Diane - have a wonderful time at the QoV today.

Today I will be heading out to my sewing hole after breakfast. I need to remember to check back in at the end of the day to see what everyone else got up to. I'll be having soup for dinner and DH will be having scalloped potatoes and ham. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:46 am

Morning
Yesterday worked outside most of day. I used my cordless trimmers to cut back grass on bottom of trees and bushes in back yard....my knees and thighs ate achy from kneeling...and I used a cushion! Ready to use weed whacker around them but walk behind is down. I do have a corded electric one, but Joe gets twitchy when I link 5 extension cords at 100 feet each together...maybe I can get him to but me a battery operated whacker...
Maryz, we gave an above ground storm shelter outside of master bedroom. Had it installed a few years ago.
Chriss, you are in my heart and prayers.
Very sore today. Not sure what I will get done.
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:17 am

Good morning,

JUDI - have a fab time with Navy! I can't imagine chasing a 2 yr old from a wheelchair. Your DDIL is amazing! I know you'll be having a great time with the 'girls'! Oh, and I hear ya on "forever quilts". But you'll get 'er dun one day.

CHRISS - Thanks for the updates on Jerry. Is this Hospice nurse the same one who was visiting him at the house? God bless.

FLO - relieved to hear you have a storm shelter. My back actually feels better when I work in the yard as long as I don't do much raking. Unfortunately, raking is 60% of the work!

IRISH - That clot thing on your leg sounds like it's no fun. I hope it resolved . . . I remember that hoarder and you were cleaning out her house. And all the money and unopened gifts you found. It had to be kind of one of those accidents where you can't look away. I pity my friend's kids when they have to go through her stuff. She has FILLED her house, double car garage, her husband's 24x36 foot shop, and two storage units. For many years she has been saying she needs to go through stuff, but when she tries, she gets overwhelmed and goes shopping for more. She insists she's not a hoarder but simply a saver, but says her brother is a real hoarder. :shock:

TINA - Your taco salad sounds tasty. I think we might have that tomorrow. Thx! Jaz really gets involved. That's so good for kids to be involved in healthy activities like sports, dance, drama, 4H, FFA, music, etc! I didn't realize she was shooting rifles in 4H. When we were in high school, Mike's school had a rifle club that taught the kids all about the rifles and they had competition shoots with other schools just like football games.

LYN - what a great day you had with the kids! I bet Maddox's eyes were wide! What great memories you made for him. When are you going back to the house? Have they ever been your new house?

MARY Q - Wow! You had my brain scurrying here and there yesterday, trying to keep up with you! Seems strange that you, of all people, had to go fabric shopping! lol! How have you organized the fabric in your garage? By color? My fabrics are sorted first by color. Any cut large enough to use for backing goes into totes that I store under the quilting frame. I keep batiks, landscapes, 30's, Civil War, florals, cat, novelty, and evergreen prints all separate. Christmas is all divided mostly by color into small totes and stored under my work table. I LOVE organizing.

JANA - I'm so happy the girls are staying closer to home. Personally, I'd rather see Bryce Canyon than the eclipse if I had to choose. And I've seen both! I do remember when I was in nurse's training caring for cataract patients. They came into the hospital the night before, came out of surgery with bandages, stayed a second night, and went home with orders to not bend, lift, or do anything strenuous - for 6 weeks. Things are sure different now!

VAL - I keep two lists on my fridge - Costco and Fred Meyer (our Kroger). When it gets close to shopping day I take a picture of my list just in case I forget it. Then at least I have that to work from. Have a fun time! Sorry you have to work the first two nights, but then it's all play time! Though it sounds like you ramrod the operation, so maybe, for you, it's what I like to call fun work. Enjoy being with the fam!

SHARONA - Good idea to repeat your blood work. Sometimes some results can be in error. The trick is to figure out which one is the error. I hope all goes well. And my, you must go to better restaurants than we do! I hope you enjoyed that solid gold breakfast!

It was a pretty quiet day here yesterday. I had a massage, then took Bill to his post-op appt. We stopped at Freddie's for bread and milk, picked up our mail, and came home. Bill napped and watched a movie while I cut out the rest of my Scaredy Cat Christmas. And *POOF!*, it was time for supper! We fill in our spare time with eye drops. Lots and lots of eye drops. This afternoon we're going to go play cards with Doyle and Susie. Hopefully, this will be our last card date and she will go home in a few days. I think I'll make pork chops and scalloped potatoes and put them in the crockpot so when we get home from cards, supper will be waiting for us.

Have a good day. Prayers for everyone!
mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:31 am

Good morning!

Well, the roller-coaster is on its down hill side today. Back to rain and snow for the weekend and temps in the 30's.

Yesterday afternoon as Aaron was on duty, a dumb driver didn't pay attention and to the rule that a stop sign means stop, t-boned his work truck. Aaron is fine. His truck isn't damaged too bad . It's beyond me that you couldn't see that big ol Dodge Ram , right in front of you! The damage is 9n the passenger side. So Aaron and buddies wrote up the reports and Aaron had to go to the hospital lab for the routine drug test - around here, referred to , in polite company, which y'all are, is potty in the bottle. So Aaron will get to drive while his truck is fixed, a fully loaded decked out, unmarked unit.. it may be unmarked, but you can surely tell it's a police vehicle! So much for unmarked! LOL

Got my grocery runs finally done. The house is done too. So it's playtime here!

Chriss - thank you for the update 9n Jerry. Many many prayers for you.

Not much else here. Kari will be home today from her business trip to Iowa. Karlie is home too. Pour Sandee had a very eventful trip home from California. Sandee is extremely gluten intolerant and her brother got gluten crumbs all over the trailer and the blankets etc, causing Sandee to sleep in the truck the last night heading home.. There are changes looming with that situation. More than all of us can handle.

Well, time to get breakfast and then sew the day away!

Hugs and prayers for all!
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:02 am

Good morning Girls!

Oh my gosh, it's Friday again already, can you believe it! Every week seems to fly by! I'm not sure I like that so much. Do you remember being 13 or so and wishing you would were grown up. Now I'm grown up and wishing I was 13!!! Well, maybe not quite, but I'd settle for 30 again!

Judi... There's no way in heaven or earth that I would have babies sleep in the same with me! I've heard it's a "thing" but... not in a million years! How do you get a good nights sleep with a 2 years tossin' and turnin'! But no matter, you will have a fun day babysitting and I'm sure you will sleep well tonight!

Diane.... What an awesome day you will have! Every time I see a guy with a ship's cap--- a Navy guy stationed on a USS ship... I ask him if he'd ever heard of the USS CARON. It was a small Navy frigate I think... but it was named of a distant cousin of mine. My Dad was always so proud of that and at one time, we all had the caps!

Sharon.... YEAH YOU!! You will actually be able to play in your sewing hole today! Seems like you've been so busy with other things you haven't been able to be out there. Has all your snow melted? We just have a couple stubborn little piles here left by the plow. It will be gone by end of business today, as it's supposed to get up to 55*

Flo.... My gosh you've gotten a lot of yard work done!! No wonder you are achey!! As for the 5 extension cords,... I think Joe is right--probably not a good idea.. and who knows how much power you would actually get at the end of the cord. The nice thing about a battery one is, when the battery is dead you can quit and go do something more fun!

Maryz... In a perfect world all my fabric would be neatly stored but color mostly, then by "class". Last summer I did completely overhaul the garage and it was nicely arranged and each box was tagged. I have 2 totes full of just my Riley Blake fabric, A couple of Christmas totes, a box of Batiks etc. Then there are two boxes with "kits" or yardages of coordinating fabric. But over the winter as Katie has been bringing me MORE. I've just to just package it up to deal with later... LATER is here! Since Katie doesn't like the 30's stuff, I now have at least 2 totes full of it! Viv is coming up this weekend, I think, so I'm hoping she will want to do some shopping. The problem is, those big tote boxes get too heavy for me to lift, so I'm going to invest in some smaller tote boxes and do some major rearranging once it warms up.
SO glad for Bill that his eye surgery went well. I'm anxious to see how the other eye goes! Good news for Susie! I bet she is anxious get home ! Back to her own bed! and Doyle!

Jana....OMG~~ So good to hear that Aaron wasn't hurt! But seriously, I can picture his big vehicle and wonder how anybody can miss it! and hit it! Was the driver texting?

Chriss... I'm sure you will be along soon. What have you planned for today? May God watch over you and Jerry today.

Yesterday morning I got 6 aprons cut out, so today I think I will get them put together. I really would rather get at the wedding quilt but better I should get the aprons done and out of here. Katie brought home more fabric Wednesday so I'm sure at some point she'll have me come over and pick out anything I can use. There was a big bunch of ORIGINAL 30's feed sack fabric, very loose weave and not something I would ever make a quilt from. But she checked on Ebay and it's going for pretty high prices there!

Time for more coffee!

Wishing you all a Fabulous Friday~

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:33 am

Good morning friends ❣️

Yesterday we went on the ferry to Port Aransas, which is on Mustang Island. We were on the outside lane , so got to see the water as we crossed. First we went to Robert's Point Park, which is right off the ferry. Elda and 'Florida' Robert's built their first house there back in the 1920's. Elda wrote a book about their life on Mustang Island, called The Stubborn Fisherman. It has great history of this area.

We then did a little shopping, Maddox needed a birthday toy and we bought a beach mat. By now he was hungry, so we ate at a pizza buffet. Then off to the beach and playing in the water. They liked finding seashells and built a grand sand castle. I took the metal detector along and when no one was looking, I salted the sand with 59 cents. Maddox thought it was great finding money in the sand. We had a good ride back across the ferry. Picked up Capt. Grandpa and went his favorite restaurant.

Today is the Texas Aquarian in Corpus Christi and then a little more beach time. We head to the house tomorrow.

Amanda and Maddox have never been here or at the house. Maddox Dad has a brother north of Dallas, that's all they had seen of Texas until now.

Prayers for your needs.
Lyn

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:48 am

Good morning. It's going to be a cold day today. There is a mountain that I can see outside my living room window, and it's got a lot of snow on it. I also had snow yesterday late afternoon. Today will be rain and cooler temps, tomorrow things will start to warm up a bit. Hard to believe that on Wednesday we were in the high 70's

I'm doing some laundry now and will go see Jerry today. I tried calling him but he isn't answering his phone. He sleeps right through the ringing.

I'm slowly cleaning out things and started on paperwork the other day. I ordered a paper shredder which will be here on Tuesday. I looked in town yesterday and they want more than $100 for paper shredders but on Amazon they are $40 and will deliver right to my house.

Maryz, because you said taco salad I put hamburger in the fridge to thaw. I will also have taco salad, the mixture of sour cream and salsa is a favorite of mine. Yes, Jerry's hospice team is made up of the same people that he had here at home.

Judi, remember the smooch rule, make it a double.

Jana, I didn't realize that being gluten intolerant meant anything other than ingested food. I learned something.

Maryq, I'd put that fabric on ebay and make millions. or at least hundreds.

Last nights dinner was steak with asparagus and sauteed mushrooms and onions. I ate about half and will have the other half tonight. I like to take the asparagus and mushroom/onions and put them in an omelete so will likely have taht for breakfast.

I have a cast iron grill pan for steaks but it is crazy difficult to clean.

I need to start my day, lots to do and nothing but time. First up, when I get home from seeing Jerry, will be gathering books to take to the friends of the library for their book sale.

You all have a fund ay,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:52 am

Chriss, for the grill pan, use salt and a little oil with a metal scrubber. It cleans up pretty quick and keeps the cast iron nice. You are probably seeing more significant changes in Jerry because he's not with you 24/7. Sounds like they are keeping him comfortable. I can't believe it's already been a week since he was moved.

Jana, glad Aaron is okay. People looking at their phones see nothing else. I'm guessing that's what happened.

Lyn, how fun for you to get to spend time with the littles at the beach. Enjoy.

Judi, I'm with you and kids in the bed. They should sleep in their own bed. Have fun with Navy.

Maryq, hope you can off load some of that fabric. Sounds like it's multiplying in the garage.
I've been purging my stash. I just don't need that much stuff anymore.

Tina, taco salad does sound good. It might be on the menu for this weekend.

Sharona, I'm thinking soup for dinner too. It's a bit chilly this morning.

Diane, enjoy handing out quilts today.

I need to vacuum and then take some cleaning stuff up to my dads. I was checking my credit card bill this morning and someone charge an airline ticket though Southwest Airline on it. Since I know Bill and I don't even fly Southwest, I had to make a fraud claim though my bank. This seems to happen about every 2 years. It's so annoying. The bank cancelled to card, so I'll have to change all my auto pay thing again.

I've been sewing down applique pieces on the Edyta Sitar quilt I'm making. "It's called Spring Spouts Lt."
There are lots on small pieces and color changes. I should finish it up today. I've also been working on Sashiko at night while listening to a book on Audio.

Dinner might be soup, or maybe chicken and mashed potatoes with a veggie.

Have a lovely day
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”