Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday April 4th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Thursday April 4th

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:46 am

Good morning friends,,it is cloudy again but no rain today. I have a little to do today and that will get done this morning,,,
We (Ken) got the old toilet fixed yesterday by completely redoing all the moving parts...cost arould $20 instead of a whole new bathroom renewal. I really do need a new bathroom but not today or this week...
I did the clean up and when you take an entire toilet apart and clean it it looks like new anyway,,,I do need a new seat. Ill get that this weekend,
I did get to sew on the quilt but a lot of interuptions I will work on it today inbetween 3 loads of laundry,
We did go visit Jeff and Colleen...Jeff is doing ok just a little disappointed that the job and project was cancelled...He has a few leads for a job but prayers are still needed..He was in good spirits,,,we took him his favorite donuts, and coffee...
Liam will be back today for more shop cleaning,,,He informed me yesterday ( as if I didnt know) that his grampa is a hoarder...but they have taken 3 truck loads so far to the dump....and progress is being made...
I think Ken is starting to warm up to the purge...Much of this stuff is scrap pieces of wood and "spare" parts he might need one day,
Well I hope you all have a great day. Tomorrow I will spend the day with my DDIL and baby Navy,,,as parents both have to work,,,Val can care for her pretty well but cannot lift her into the high chair or on to any where she needs to go...so I will have a baby day,,,It will be fun she does call me "GiGi"
Prayers for all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Re: Thursday April 4th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:46 am

Good morning,

JUDI - glad the Great Purge of Michigan is going so well. 3 loads to the dump is marvelous progress! Liam is just too cool! Good news about the toilet repair. And what fun that you'll get to spend the day with Val and Navy! When is Navy's birthday? She'll be 2 soon, won't she?

SHARONA - What a handsome couple of dudes! You must be very proud of this duo! Hope all your blood work comes out OK.

LORI - I will head off to photos as soon as I finish yik-yakking here. I always love your projects. You must have a large wall to be able to make a display of all your mini's. It's going to be cool! We'll be wanting pictures of the entire wall, you know.

CHRISS - It feels good to get rid of stuff. My neighbor likens excess "stuff" as rocks in the backpack of life.
It weighs you down and slows progress with anything else. My hoarding friend can't do anything as simple as fix a meal without help because she is so overwhelmed with all the "rocks" in her "backpack" she can't focus on anything. She goes through life spinning her wheels.

JANA - Pictures in a quilt are wonderful! A friend once gave me a pile of grandmother's fan blocks her mom had made in the 1940's. She gave them to me to keep but I put them together in a quilt and I had a photo of her mom from that era. So I printed that photo for a label along with a short poem I wrote, "Wash me gentle, wash me cold. For I am special, I am old". And the particulars - Gramma's name, date, etc. I gave the finished quilt back to my friend. She cried. But I did learn from the UPS store where I went to make copies that you need to be careful about putting fabric through laser printers. They said their printers heat so hot the fabric sheets gum up the machine.

LYN - I think it's great that you found a place to take a photo with your girls' maiden name. But I had to kind of laugh. If I did that down there, it would take me all summer long to go 4 blocks taking similar pictures. My maiden name is AUSTIN! lol!

MARY Q - Did you get all you needed at Sams - and then some? I've never been to a Sam's but I suspect it's similar to Costco. We have a love/hate relationship with them. Love to go, hate to pay. Some things I'm definitely a brand girl, too. And Miracle Whip and Campbell's soups are two of them. And, happily, you are right - Bill didn't believe the surgery would help his bad eye but he already can see a little better out of it.

FLO - what a scary night! What is your plan if a tornado did hit? Do you have a safe room, basement, or ?? Glad all is well now. And praying for those where it isn't.

Bill's surgery went well. He barely remembers it and on the drive home he said colors were brighter and his peripheral vision, the little that he has in that eye, was improved. He spent the afternoon napping and watching TV. I spent the afternoon putting 4 different drops in his eye every 3 hours and making cat blocks for my quilt. This morning I have a massage appt and he has a post op appt. Then back to our respective places for the afternoon. Thanks to everyone for their prayers. Today I'll be starting on 15 Ohio Star blocks and then my second quilt will be ready for sashing and assembly. I won't be doing any cooking unless I make a salad. I have soup left over from last night. I made this soup to use up leftover ham and then realized after I got it all in the pot and was leaving the kitchen that I forgot to put in the ham!!! Arggh! It's the quilt borders all over again!

Have a super day, everyone!

mary z
>^+^<

womster

Post by womster » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:52 am

Good morning!

Judi - glad to hear about the purge. I will be joining you. How lovely that Ken was able to fix the toilet. We like the soft-close seats - sure makes it a lot quieter. I will be praying that Jeff finds a job. Enjoy your GiGi day with Navy and Colleen.

Maryz - thank you! It's hard being so far away. So glad Bill's surgery went well and that you were such an attentive nurse. I forgot to start the dishwasher last night (again), so don't feel too bad about the ham. The bloodwork was last minute - kidney check. I had one seven weeks ago, but they said do it again. :roll:

After the scan, we will probably be going out to breakfast. I say probably because when I went out on Monday (ultrasound was at 7:30, eye appt was at 10:45 and I had time to kill) the cost was $32!!! For just me. I couldn't believe it. It must have been a high-end restaurant, as there were several businessmen in there doing interviews and business meetings, but still. I hope to sew tomorrow - it has been too long. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:12 am

Good morning ladies, I am here but have been quite busy with both jobs and trying to get ready for our trip. We all leave this AM but since I have to work the next two nights I will come back home to sleep. Saturday I will go to stay. It's only about an hour drive so luckily it is feasable.

I still have some shopping to do (forgot the list when I went and tried to do it by memory). Much is packed in the RV but will finish that up this am.

I am reading your posts everyday just do not have time to post much myself. My son has been here since Sunday, DD coming today with the babies. The internet is sketchy at best but will post as I can.

Will be back Sunday the 14th. Have a great time while I am gone and don't get into any trouble!

Prayers for you all
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:42 am

Good morning!

Another beautiful day here and again, warm! But alas this too shall pass, snow this weekend.

Not much here. My big girls, Sarah and Sandee have punted the trip to see the eclipse and will stay here, traveling to the southern part of the state. They will visit with my nephew, see Zions and Bryce, then come home. Sandee stayed in California longer than planned and with the threat of bad weather, tornadoes, they decided to stay nearer to home. We are happy with that!

Sewing and fussing around here today. The uglies are in pretty good order, a very nice thing.

So happy with success of Bill's surgery. I remember in the day, many many years ago, that cataract surgery was a huge deal. My dad had it done and was told to be still for 2 weeks. That was in the early 60's.

Well, off to get into trouble, one thing I very good at!
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:43 am

Good morning Girls

BRRRRRR Man it's cold!! only 35* according to the Alexa, but she says it will warm up to 50. Maybe I'll be able to work in the garage this afternoon--tho I might need jacket!

Judi... I've seen a few hoarded out houses---have you ever watched that show on Netflix? So I can image what a hoarder shop must look like. I bet once it gets all done Ken will just love it.. So great of Liam to spend the time with him out there. What a great memory for Liam and I bet once it's all organized Ken will really love working out there. Prayers for Jeff that something in his field comes up soon, and the he maintain his sparkling disposition! :lol: My Grandmother became GG for GREAT grandmother when my first nephew was born. At the rate my grand kids are going, I doubt I'll ever have that title!

Maryz.... OH yes, Sam's and Costco are quite similar. I did get all I need and then some, but I came in under budget so I was happy about that. I picked up a couple things for the kids and Evie came over and helped me unload. The trick is finding a place to put bulk items. But I'm good on coffee, TP, laundry detergent, d/w detergent and Scrubbing bubbles for quite a while. SO glad Bill's surgery went well. That he is seeing improvement in that eye already is great news. I can only imagine how great it will be for him once the next eye is done.

Sharon... Sending lots of prayers for you today, that your scan goes well! Going out to eat is getting to be a real luxury again these days. Once you factor in tip and everything, it adds up! Your picture from yesterday is super cute. I'm guessing that's your son and his grandson! He looks like he enjoys being a Grampa!!

Valerie... Don't you hate that when you forget the list! I've starting telling Alexa to add things to my list, then at least they are in the phone. But I still prefer writing a list on paper, I can picture what I've written at least if I forget the list. I have my lotto blocks almost ready to go, but I will hold on to them until after you get back from your trip. Gosh I hope you all have the most wonderful time!

Jana... When I was cleaning out my purse yesterday I can across the card they gave me when I had my eyes done, 2014, so almost 10 years. So many great improvements in the surgery even since them. When I had mine done, I was still working but only missed 1 day per eye! If you do get the snow this weekend, please don't feel the need to share! It's April for Pete's sake, and we don't want any more. (Though I do remember a year we got it May)

Chriss... Isn't it great to be able to share things, AKA get rid of things. I love our FB "Buy Nothing" group. I was able to get rid of a grocery bag full of hanging file folders that I certainly didn't need. And it's a great place to see if anybody has something you might need. Over the years I have collected wrist watches... a gal was looking for a couple to wear on a trip to Argentina! Must have been ESP because I was just looking at them all and thought I needed to pass them on . You were a good girl at Costco yesterday!! Sam's had some similar totes to your black ones. I was looking for clear ones to store/rearrange all my fabric in! PS I'm still keeping my eyes open for baby fabric for you!

Since I was gone most of the day yesterday, today I need to work double time! I have 7 aprons to make for a gal that works at our new Dollar Tree store. I did run into Hobby Lobby yesterday and got the black Kona I need to finish up the wedding quilt. With Luck I'll be able to do that this weekend. It will be a huge relief that get that done in plenty of time. I'm going to take it with me when I go to Viv's the middle of May and hoping she can quilt it for me when I'm there so I can bring it back right away to get the binding on. The Wedding isn't until July, so I do have plenty of time!

For now, once again I need more coffee and quick shower!!

Hope you all have a great day

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:54 am

Sunny, a good day for the beach.

MaryZ, Hope Bill sees even more improvement in that eye.

Chriss, I gave Maddox a big hug and tossed his short hair for you. I have the Elf sitting out and told Maddox about you. He says Hi❣️

Yesterday was busy. Picked up my mail. Checked out a little beach in Rockport and had a picnic lunch. Came back and walked dogs and checked on Garry. Then we went to Port Aransas on the ferry, but couldn't see much cause we were in the middle of cars. Did some shopping for Maddox birthday, which was last week. Went to see the jetty which is made of big marble blocks that came from near our Texas house. Then they played on the beach and in the water a little. Ferry ride back was a little better, could see a little more. Garry had decided to stay with dogs. We picked him up and went down the street to a restaurant that sits above the water. Long day, tired kids.

Time to get moving. Prayers for your needs.
Lyn

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:05 am

Good morning everyone 🌞
Judi, it sure is handy to have a handyman in resident 😊 wow the big purge sounds like it's going to be a huge success!
Maryz, I'm so glad Bill's eye surgery went well, I thought about him most of the day and kept saying little prayers. I'm not an eye person, the thought has me squeamish. Didn't he have to keep it covered for a couple hours?
Sharona, wow did you eat at the Ritz? I'm thinking they gave you somebody else's bill. Mighty fine looking dudes you have πŸ₯°
Valerie, goodness you have a lot to do to get to go on a little vacation, I hope you really get to relax and enjoy it!
Jana, we're having another beautiful day here too, we were in the upper 70's yesterday with only 3mph winds so pretty much non-existent and today will be almost a repeat except wind will get up to 10mph which is still great! Glad Sarah and Sandee decided to stay closer.
Maryq, I love being stocked up from Sam's and win win coming in under budget! Glad you found the black you were looking for. I hope you get those aprons finished up.
Lyn, gosh it sure sounds fun to be you! Reading your post was like a slideshow in my head 😊
I stop by and read sometimes a few times a day but then get taken in a different direction and don't get to post. 🀷 I'm like the absent minded professor LOL
I finished my heart blocks for the sew along and will be working on the house blocks today. People are sure upset at the designer, apparently she said she'd be posting videos for the weekly sew along and she changed her mind. People went out and bought the magazine or pattern because she said that and now they aren't too happy. I'm ok with not watching a video but I can understand where they're coming from. I of course am behind in the process but I'm enjoying the process.
Jazmyne is off to FFA competition, she left yesterday. I think her categories are seeds and animals, they have different names but I can't remember them. She loves identifying all the things. It really amazes us. She's also in 4H but they don't raise money for trips so she won't be able to attend any competitions with that, her thing in 4H is shooting a rifle. She's a very outdoors girl.
Tonight Easton and Preston have a little league game so we're going to that right after supper. I've decided to make taco salads for supper so it's quick and easy and it's Dad's night.
Prayers for all in need πŸ™
You all have a wonderful day!
Tina

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:11 am

Good morning. It's supposed to be 45* today with rain, weed eating is not on the agenda for the day.

Started getting rid of things in the file cabinet. Do we really need to keep the car insurance bill from 2003? Or the paperwork for the electric can opener that was purchased eons ago?

I also removed all of the carb filled food in this house. my cupboards are bare. Amazing how much there was. A friend came and got it and whatever she can't use she will take to the food pantry at the church.

Lori, feels really good to lighten the load. My sewing room will be the last to purge. I really think if it were just better organized it wouldn't be so hard to find what I am looking for. I think a wall of mini's is an adorable idea. It will be like a museum exhibit.

Sharona, so very glad all is well with your son. And what a great picture, it needs a frame. Glad you said breakfast. I have bacon in there I need to cook up. I really hate the mess of cooking it but will be glad when it's available for meals.

Judi, I want a baby day. Make sure my smooches are added to yours. I have tons of stuff in the garage that we "might need one day" My plan is to keep some of it but the bulk can go away, the rest will be organized. I bet I will have close to three loads as well.

Maryz, too funny, ham soup without ham. I would have taken that ham and added it to scalloped potatoes. but then wouldn't have eaten it due to the carbs. Glad Bills surgery went well. I really didn't have any doubts. It really does feel good to remove the rocks from my backpack.

Valerie, I hope the weather holds out for your time with family. It's supposed to rain here. Safe travels to you. Sorry you forgot your grocery list, how is your memory, did you find most everything you needed? While I was going through paperwork I found quite a few old grocery lists. Seems it's easier to save it than to toss it.

Jana, it's good to stay home. Glad your kids are staying close. I'm going to stay home too.

Maryq, I wish my black totes had been clear but they will do for storing the kids stuff. Neither kid is in a big enough home to store this junk and I have plenty of room. Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me.

Lyn, I'm glad he still has that elf. As forum kids go he's one of my favorites. I smile whenever you mention him. Your day sounds like it was full of fun. I bet everyone slept well.

Today's plan is to gather books for the friends of the library, they take donations Tuesday and Saturday. and I also want to have stuff ready to go to the thrift store. They also take donations on Tuesdya and Saturday. This afternoon I will go see Jerry. Hard to believe that he's only been at the facility for one week. Seems like forever.

But first, breakfast and cleaning. You all have a marvy day
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:07 pm

Good late afternoon from a rainy, then sunny, then snow, back to snow and now, sun is out but have a feeling we're going to get hit by something...Yep, this is Pennsylvania, 4 seasons in 1 short day..... It's been a hectic couple of days and I'm not sure exactly what I've accomplished.....Yesterday was our 24 hours of rain and I have a pond across the street and it overflowed it's banks and was creeping very close to houses on that side....I said, when you see the ducks sitting on the bank, wearing life jackets and afraid to venture in the water, must be deep...But, by this morning, it had receded and now back to normal...For awhile, I really had water front property...There has been a lot of damage done in our part of the state but, we're also a state of helpful neighbors and everyone pitches in.....

MaryZ, was so happy to hear the good news about Bill's eye...I also remember bringing Jim home after he had his done and he kept saying, I didn't know that was that color or how bright everything was and mine was pretty much the same way...But, now, Lymes has messed up mine and doc doesn't exactly know what to do, so back to my glasses...Also remember when Jim's Dad had his done many years ago and had to lay with sand bags against his head...Times have sure changed, thank goodness...... You had asked about my mess on my shine and I'm not sure what you'd call it but it looks like a huge bruise but it's red you can see that it's blood right under the skin....I know I did not bruise it, was only sitting playing cards and had even worn my support stockings knowing I'd be sitting and my legs and feet would swell.....Just talked to Kathy and Tim had an ablation done yesterday on his back...She said, as soon as the numbness wore off, he could feel relief...Now, if he'll just take it easy and let it heal....And our friend who had the heart ablation the other day is still in the hospital... Procedure went fine but then they couldn't get her bleeding to stop...I'm thinking, she wasn't off her blood thinner long enough and also, surprised they didn't use a plug, as they did for 2 of my caths....Enough of this medical stuff, depressing!
On another depressing thought, went to bingo with my sister and neither of us won anything, nothing, nil, notta but we did have fun...One gal seemed to win all the time and we told her she's need a guard to get her to her car...Now we play for big stakes, I think today it was $7.00 a game and then you might have to split with another winner.....

We have a Sam's club near me and I even have a card but I do like Costco better and I'm not sure why...I only seem to go when Kathy is here, she likes to stock my pantry and also picks up stuff to take to Lena....The last time I went to Costco, my 3 lunch buddies and I had had lunch and then went but we had to take 2 cars because everyone was getting the big bundles of potty paper plus all the other things you pick up...We both had SUVs and they were both loaded......
Lyn, sounds like you really are having a great time...You packed quite a few super adventures into 1 day, what are the next plans....As someone said, it's hard keeping up with you......Enjoy every minute!
Sharon, that picture was perfect or as Mary would say, purrfect! Sure hope the scan and blood work are good.....Special prayers......
Judi, A hoarders house or garage is a nightmare, lol...A couple years ago, my sister's friend asked if we'd like to help get her SIL's house ready for an estate sale...Neither of us could imagine the stuff she had saved or how much! She had saved every card, letter, advertisement, magazine she had ever gotten...And she hid money so you had to check ever card etc. for money or checks...She was in her late 70s and now in a home but had married in her late 60s and in going through her cedar chest, she still had wedding gifts that hadn't been taken out of the box...We found boxes of stuff and in the bottom would be bank envelops full of money, thousands of dollars that could have been tossed...We did get the place pretty much cleaned up and they did have their sale...My sister and I often joke about it but it was kind of fun.....

MaryQ, we also had a tornado warning the other night and of course I immediately thought of you in the tub with your batting BUT, you know, that's not a bad idea...I have no basement and there is no way I could drag a mattress into the bathroom so what better than batting! And I love the idea of a "buy nothing" place....I've gotten, I hate to take to some of the "donor places" that sell...And I did see, if you're cleaning out closets, give your clothes or ask Nursing or Personal care homes if anyone might be able to use them..Love that idea also.....

Been thinking of the "rocks in the backpack of life" and boy does that make sense....And on that note, I'm gonna git! I found blocks that I had embroidered and never finished so yesterday, I put them together and now I have to check the stash for backing...Gosh darn, might have to take a trip to JoAnns.....

You all have a great rest of the day/evening.......

Return to β€œSew ins”