Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday April 2,2024

Daily discussions.
patches4

Re: Tuesday April 2,2024

Post by patches4 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:56 am

Perfect lady
When I sewed the 7 tops I did the sewing of the squares into rows then sewed the rows to make a top. Usually I cut and design the tops and sew them. Last month someone laid it out and I did the easy work of just sewing together. Per Lutheran World Relief they like squares with not much piecing to be stronger with half inch seams. Some people think it’s boring. I also sew 192 I think 6 inch squares together in different ways for tops. Yes, I cut fabric lay it out and sew the tops. That’s my job.
Have a great day
TinaB

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:07 am

And I'm back - just like the proverbial bad penny.

MARY Q - how big are your blocks? And how much black do you need? I have a large triangle ruler for cutting setting blocks. Maybe I can help but I need to know the size of your blocks first. If all else fails, lay our your blocks and make a paper template, a little oversize. Happy birthday to your Evie. I bet she's excited to drive. Here, you can't get a learner's permit until age 15-1/2. At least that's what it used to be.

TINA B - thanks for the explanation. So you don't really have to make blocks, but just sew squares together? That makes things a lot quicker and easier and like you said, probably more practical and durable. Bless you for doing this!

JUDI - thanks for the update on Chrissy and her DH. I was thinking it was time (perhaps past time?) that they move to assisted living but in with their kids works, too. What an adjustment. I feel for her. I've been in my house nearly 40 years and I think besides my quilts and needleworks it would break my heart to see my book collection go (about 1,750. I counted.) Most everything else could go without hurting my heart too much. I hope for an easy transition for Chrissy.

SHARONA - welcome home! How was your son doing? Glad you had a nice trip. Where do they think this neoplasm might be located, if at all? And now problems with your eyes? Maybe you should hold off ordering new glasses until that gets checked out more fully.

JANA - all good news from you! So happy to hear the security guard is still hanging in there. I wish he could know that there is a nationwide group of old lady quilters praying for him. Sorry if that offended anyone but we are what we are. Especially compared to a young man! So how many quilts will you be making from the clothes of your friend? That will be quite an undertaking.

VAL - if you're checking in - wishing you good weather, sucessful fishing, and happy family!

All our leftovers are gone except for some ham slices so I think tonite I'm going to make eggs benedict for supper and use medium heat salsa con queso for the sauce. And probably a salad first. Anyone else still feasting on leftovers? After this, I think I'll dice up the last of the ham and make split pea soup with it.

mz

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:05 am

Oh, I'm not making the memory quilts, she is. She sews a little bit, so I'm leaning to simple squares just sewn in rows. May add sashing and borders, well see.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:35 pm

Maryq - I have a Triangles Calculator from a website. I almost always make a paper copy before cutting fabric. I also use the idea that the longest side should be on the straight of grain so place four together and cut larger squares. Look for Quilt Calculator Charts at:https://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/ ... ibrary.htm

I printed them out years ago and find them very helpful.

Dinner tonight will be Ham and Scalloped potatoes with vegetable and salad.

Carol

Return to “Sew ins”