Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Daily discussions.
WeeOne

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Post by WeeOne » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:34 am

Good morning from the stormy coast of Texas. Thunderstorms moving thru.

Chriss, You are doing right by Jerry and yourself. You don't want to hurt yourself trying to move him. I hope this change goes well. Prayers and Hugs 💞💞

I have my list made and hopefully I can get done what has to get done.

Hope y'all have a good day.
Lyn

WeSignificant

Re: Thursday, March 21, 2024

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:39 am

Good morning, this is our last day of wonderful weather before the rain returns tomorrow. I only have 2 patients in Petaluma today. A couple so actually only one house to go to. Darn there is a quilt shop in Petaluma! And my car knows where it is. How much you wanna bet it goes there?

Chriss I am not sure what a short term facility is but yes, it can be agonizing to place a loved one. I always felt bad about placing Dad as I was a nurse and should be able to care for him. Caregiving is a lot harder job than many people think. And you end up having to do it on little to no sleep. My Dad had his heart attack when he was trying to care for Mom. As hard as it is, you are doing the right thing. Your time spent with Jerry now can be enjoyable and quality time. There is a special place in heaven for caregivers. And big kudos to his brother. What a champ.

Lyn wish I could take our boat to your guy. We still don't have it back and no final price. I am skeptical that he is authentic but will keep my mouth shut. DH picked him out and sometimes best to wait to say anything.

Judi wow, that device sounds amazing. IN the long run, if it does work, maybe $15000 is worth it. I guess insurance won't cover because of the price. Will definately keep her on my prayer list. I will also pass this info along to my sister, Her husband has MS as does his sister.

Lori are you making anything special at the retreat? I actually love the fog, not so much to drive in though. I used to have a friend who lived in Berekley. You could sit in his living room and watch the fog roll in through his front window.

Jana lots of sneezing going on here. Throat irritation, ear plugging a bit. Yep, Spring has sprung!

Mary 31 is pretty cold. Decorated your bathroom? Wondering why not the whole house? Isn't it a good feeling to have those taxes done every year, and to be getting a refund to boot! Yeah!

I did once again fill out paperwork to transfer Dad's annuity to his trust account at the credit union. $15 to have it notorized and another $10 something to mail it. If they don't accept it this time, then guess what. I don't need the money that bad. This has been an absolute mess. This time I sent a copy of his trust, his will, his death certificate, along with their 6 page form. I have nothing else to send and no umph to keep messing with them. I also got his paperwork ready for the tax lady. Have a appt on the 25th. It is a different form this time since he passed last year. Form 1041. Have never seen it before so hoping she knows how to do it. I don't like having all this paperwork stuff hanging over my head.

In addition to the 2 patients I do have charts to get done. Laundry is up to date. I am in the process of pining some block pieces together before sewing so I don't sew them all wrong again. I will finish that before the end of my shift. Hoping for no late phone calls.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:02 am

Good morning Girls

Just a fly by this morning. I need to get in the shower here in a minute and get my day started--going to be a busy one. I'm taking my grand-dog to vet for her check up and shots, then dropping her back at her house, then on to meet my DB Tim and wife Laurie for lunch... then home.. With a little bit of luck I might be able to sneak in a few stitches on something this afternoon.

I'll come back later and check up with you all.

But mostly my heart goes out to Chriss this morning. If God leads you to it, He will lead you through it. And we are all here to support you along the way.

see you later.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:29 am

Good morning it is cold in the 20s and sunny that is good, I have been up and busy this morning I cleaned the bathrooms and the laundry room. made the bed and dusted the bedroom. Now I am done for awhile...Another friend called and invited me for lunch. so I will get myself presentable for that...after that a rest period before we go to Liams birthday celebration...I wonder if he drove himself to school this morning.. Both DD and her Hubby work from home and dont need their car. 16 and raring to go ! I wait to hear...
Val, the company that makes the electrical stimulator is called Neufit, it uses Direct current to stimulate the muscles to re grow. the growth of muscle tissue apparently causes new nerve pathways, it is used for many injuries and not just MS but it is showing a lot of promise for the folks with MS it is accompanied by a vigorous excersize program...we pray it helps her ....she is a special person...
Lyn hope you are safe from the storms...I have a hard time keeping track of where you are...you camp in the MH in Aransas Texas and also have a home there? a home in Colorado and a place in Canada. how do you do it,,,,? You are one super lady....I dont know how old you are but you inspire me...
Chris, I hope you are taking deep breaths and telling yourself you are doing the right thing. Jerry is needing full 24 hr care and you cannot do it...if he is no longer mobile and able to do for himself you have to have help...God bless his brother for helping out....Hope he is close enough for you to visit him often...is this facility a hospice care home?...we have them here all the folks in them are hospice patients, hospice covers the cost of their care..We had a friend in hospice home and he got excellent care and passed peacefully when his time came..family could visit or stay with him 24 hrs a day if they wanted...
maryg its a good day for lunch out...
Well I need to straighten up the sewing room..I got all the blocks done and part of the sashing and corner stones..I thought i could get the whole top done but Ken was home part of the day and I of course had to hang out with him...all good. I ti is in the finishing stages...Thank you all for the prayers for Val (my daughter in love...) She will work hard and is determined to be better,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:34 am

Good morning,

I think Ma Nature changed her mind and is going back to winter no matter what her ground hog told her! Brrr!!

CHRISS - What a hard decision for you to make. For what my opinion is worth, you are doing the right thing. There does come a time when a spouse can simpy no longer do the care that is needed without propert equipment and 24/7 assistance. In a care facility they can do the care and you can just be there with him and be his wife. You may even be able to take Moose to visit if you wish. I know you feel guilty. Guilt comes with this territory. I pray you can let it go and be at peace with your decision. And what a wonderful gesture on your BIL's part to offer to pay for it. How far is the facility from your house? Bill's brother spent his last weeks in a similar facility and his wife just stayed in his room with him most nights. God bless.

LYN - well, things seem to be falling into place for you but sooner than you expected! I hope all goes off without a hitch. I know you are excited to see family. If they can't go on a boatride do you think they would enjoy touring the Lexington Aircraft Carrier anchored in Corpus? That's not too far from you, is it?

JUDI - I pray your DDIL finds some relief with this new stimulator. Wouldn't that be a wonderful miracle! Will keep her on my prayer list. Did you get your Christmas quilt top finished? What is your next quilt going to be?

LORI - sounds like you are having a Calgon week!

JANA - I Googled your flooring and it's very similar to what we put in our family room downstairs. I love it. Hope you are coming down the finish line with your taxes. Bill finished ours yesterday. We will be paying the IRS about 270 of our most favorite dollars.

MARY MEG - You have a busy morning! Yay!! A tax refund! It's good to be you. Federal AND state! WA is one of the few states that does not have an income tax and I think we just passed a law that we never will. (But to make up for it, we pay huge gas taxes). Ugh. So, what happened with the table? So few thrift shops will take furniture any more. However, if you have a local food bank they may take it if they know of someone who could use it, or they can give you info on a furniture bank, etc.

VAL - my SSC quilt is Scaredy Cat Christmas. https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/Amand ... lt-Pattern I have the star and tree blocks finished. Now just to make the five cat blocks and then assemble the top. My thought is to make four of this quilt for 2 DD's, 1 DS, and myself. And a different Christmas quilt (pattern still TBA) for my second sister. All in Christmas fabrics.

SHARONA - I hope they can get this A-fib figured out for you. Will the deck be finished today? When are you leaving for OH? Tuesday?

LOIS - did you do anything special for your anniversary? Camping is my favorite way to celebrate most anything. And this year that is what we did for our anniverdary as we were on our way home from Texas in our fiver. Has your fabric arrived yet?

Yesterday was chiropractor and I feel SOOO much better today. Then I purged my tee shirt drawer and decided 17 shirts are going to go live at the Goodwill. I will keep slowly going through the rest of my wardrobe. I spent the rest of yesterday in my sewing room. Today I have some chores to do around the house, will spend some time sewing, and then we'll leave about 1:30 to go visit Susie. This is a date to play cards but she has invited another person to visit at the same time so we'll see if the card game happens. We might just visit a while and come home.

Happy sewing! And prayers for Chriss, Jerry, Judi's DDIL, and all who need them, spoken or unspoken.

Mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:34 am

Good morning!

Looks to be another beautiful dayhere. The temp will drop slightly, but it's still better than freezing!

Talked to Sarah yesterday and she and Sandee my be heading to Texas to see the eclipse. Sandee and her late husband, Scott had planned to do that. But since he's gone, Sarah will go, so there are two drivers. Scott grew up and has family still in Paris. Texas, that is, so the girls can park the rig there. I have no idea if that area is in the totality zone, but I'm sure it is. It would be a quick trip down and back. One direction through Colorado and home through New Mexico. Or vice versa.

My family is all taking off somewhere. Tomorrow Matt and family are heading to SoCal for a Disneyland visit and a cruise to Cabo San Lucas. All the kids are going too. My Logan, 15, has checked out all the activities and when all the food places are open aboard ship. He's a tall, skinny growing boy, always hungry! Andrew is chomping at the bit to be a Disneyland as the gates open. They have 4 drivers now and are driving straight through tomorrow.

Karlie is going with Sandee on a pre Texas trip to California this week. Karlie will get to stay with the other grandparents for a week. Sandee and her brother Tommy are going to Placerville to see their Aunts and Uncles. There's a family compound they all own and live on there. Tommy hasn't been back there for many years, so this will be good for him.

The rest of us are staying put! I'm working on Stars and hope to be done shortly! Kate had fun shift duty there's a station up the canyon at Snowbird ski resort. There's a little town there, maybe 200 people. Nice easy duty up in the mountains!

Well, I'm off to get Stars done, that is after some breakfast,

Hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:27 am

MaryZ, I'm not sure how interested a 6 yr old would be about the Lexington. It's only 20 miles from us. A day at the beach , another day at Texas State Aquarium and we'll think of something if we stay a 3rd day.

Jana, I just looked at my Eclipse map and I think Paris is in the path, just as our house in the Hill Country.

Judi, I'm sorry I'm so confusing. First, I will be 71 end of June. Garry owned the house in Estes Park, CO, long before we met. We should sell but then he'd have to clean 50 yrs of stuff out. I have my kitchen stuff, clothes and sewing stuff. Sewing stuff will all come to Texas. I will probably leave a Featherweight there. If he sells then some kitchen and clothes may come to Texas. Now as for Texas, the house we bought 2 yrs ago is NW of Austin about 70 miles, in the Hill Country. We live in the Motorhome about 80% of the year. We are in the Motorhome in Canada at a Resort we found in 2002 and have returned every summer except 2020 - 2022 because of Covid. We come to Aransas Pass, to a campground my sis used to winter at. We are parked here from November to end of April. We see the Colorado house in May and Sept. We are starting to spend a little more time at the Texas house since it's only 253 miles from where the MH is parked for the winter. I hope that gives a clearer picture of my travels.

We are in a transition period. I know there will come a time when we can no longer travel in the MH. When that happens, we will settle in the Texas house. I can't do the altitude in Colorado, don't want snow and dislike the politics now.
Lyn

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:33 am

Good morning from a very sunny but darn cold, SW. Pa...I had always posted on the Supper club but have been away for quite awhile and did see that MaryZ thought maybe everyone should start meeting here...I do always read or try to keep track and everyone is so busy.....I can happily say, after 2 years of down time, with the help of many doctors, I actually feel like a person once again......

MaryZ, thank you so much for the wonderful text messages and the updates on everyone....I am still amazed at all you are able to accomplish in one day and how many quilts you are able to get done in such a short time...I love the idea of the book for Amara and have passed it along to Kathy....You had asked about my sister...She has had her hip done and probably need the other done but she is always on the go, sure keeps me hopping or tries....She keeps saying, we need to plan another trip, she has a new hip and I feel I have an almost new heart, time to go! Kathy wants us to go on a cruise.....But, for the time being, I am enjoying my new "self" and doing a lot of sewing....Everyone wants table toppers! My poor old sewing machine (65 yrs. old) is really getting a workout....Also have 2 Tee shirt quilts to for a nurse at my doctor's office and another quilt to make for a grand son...AND, on top of that, 2 weddings this year which will mean Irish Chain quilts...Who has time for a cruise???..

Chriss, You are on my mind constantly and have wanted to call but hated to bother....What you are doing is out of love, you have nothing to feel guilty about...There are several of us who have been in your shoes and it really isn't fun but you do it and you continue to do what's best...When it was time for Jim to go into the Memory Care Home, I didn't know if I'd be able to do it but it was really the best...They took excellent care of him and made him feel, this was his home and not once did he ask me, to take him home... When they suggested bringing in Hospice, that was another blessing...I was surprised that Hospice came into Homes but they were wonderful.... I still get little notes from them asking how I'm doing....The time I spent with Jim at the Home were special and that guilty feeling is no longer...What a great offer from Jerry's brother...We were fortunate, Jim being in the military, the VA took care of almost all his needs....But, as everyone has said, you do have to take care of yourself....It's tough, not knowing what each day will bring but God will always be there for you....If you want, I'm only a phone call away, any time......
Sharona, I kept reading about you and your AFib problems and know, it's not fun....After 2 years of different meds, zappings, my cardiologist put me on Multaq and within 2 weeks, I could breathe, my heart is back into almost normal beating and I feel like a different person...It's expensive and he said, there's no guarantee but to get up every morning and feel so good, I love my new med. lol.....It's just a thought, if you hadn't heard about it....I'm hoping I don't need that next step.....Will be keeping you in my prayers....
MaryQ, you're another one, so busy.... Would love to see your garage......
Jana, love to hear about all the things going on in your household....You certainly do have stories to share....
Judi, You have me tired by all you get done in the mornings before I'm even out of bed, lol....I always say, I can't get up because "BabyGirl" won't let me.....This new machine for MS sounds like a blessing in disguise...My late DDIL was a victim of that terrible disease and in the end, she more or less gave up....Certainly hoping and praying for good results.....
Well, I think I've taken up enough time and space....I've really wanted to get back to posting and decided, it's time, lol..... AND regarding supper, today is bingo day, which means, my sister will "make" me go with her and have dinner out afterwards....She can be very forceful!

You all have a great rest of the day....(As my late DDIL, Cindy used to end all our daily calls)

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:03 am

Good morning. Another long night here.

Jerry woke up with hallucinations again last night. He couldn't breathe and was so agitated. I put a new cannula on his oxygen concentrator and called the Hospice nurse. Ended up calling 911 and the paramedics came. By the time they got here he was quite calmed down and sorry he acted the way he did. It's not him, it's the cancer. He isn't taking any narcotics but did take his Haldol. He's just confused and unsure. It's not fun to be him. And it's not fun to be me.

I misspoke, he is not going into short term care but in assisted living. It's not a hospice facility but Hospice patients reside there and Jerry will be one of them. https://www.amiesseniorcare.com/parkmerced

Yesterday I was worried I was doing the wrong thing by placing him but after last night I know I am doing the right thing. Today at 10am he will have a blood draw so he can be tested for TB. Seems his last test in 2012 is too old. After those results there will be an "assessment coordinator" to determine the level of care he will need and then he will be moved. I pray this is all completed by Friday.

Lyn, I have to start a list too. Amazing the amount of work that stacks up when you can't just go out and do it.

Valerie, my laundry is also caught up. I will do Jerry's bedding if he gets into a chair but other than that I'm good. I have learned how to move someone using a sheet under them, still not an easy task. Sorry you are having trouble with your dad's money. Hope it all gets fixed soon. I guess if life were always simple it would be boring.

Maryq, I got a shower this morning. Hadn't had one in a while. It was marvelous. Hope I saved you some hot water.

Judi, thanks. Jerry will be 30 miles away. He will be in the same town my dad lives in. I will be grateful for the 24 hour care, you are correct, I can't do it. I do need help. Sure wish I'd had listened to you all a week ago he would already be there. Must be my stubborn Austrian/Hungarian genes. I am keeping Val in my prayers. It would be wonderful if this worked for her.

Maryz, hope the chiropractor helped. we are also supposed to get a bout of winter this weekend. But these 70 degree days have ben wonderful. I don't think it's supposed to get cold but it will be wet.

Jana, sounds like those kids of yours are scattering all over the place. I'm ready for breakfast too.

O'Dorothy, what a treat to see you post here. A real smile maker. Glad you supper club people are considering meeting here. We could post what we are having for supper. I'll likely be having a turkey sandwich on cauliflower rounds. I do have hospice involved, they are wonderful. Once Jerry is moved things will settle down. It just seems to take so long to get anything done. I guess that is because I am waiting.

Ok, gotta go do breakfast. you all have a fun day
Chriss

Update: they have drawn Jerry’s blood but it will take about a week to process the results. The labs week is Tuesday - Saturday. Looks like Jerry won’t be transferring until next week. So we wait
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:49 pm

Well Stars got a time reprieve. My nephew didn't pay attention to the distance from where they're visiting to where my house is. It's quite a distance! So they won't be up for awhile. That's OK with me. I like to do my binding by hand, and this is a big quilt!

Also got my Kimberbell Halloween quilt all quilted and ready to be bound. Then I found when I had put the bag with the embellishments - guess where - in the box the kit came in with all the instructions! A first for me -not having things scattered! LOL! There are a couple of the embellishments thatneed to be made on the embroidery module, so that's next today.

Return to “Sew ins”