Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday, March 17th - St. Patrick's Day!!

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Sunday, March 17th - St. Patrick's Day!!

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:44 am

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

May your troubles be less
And your blessings be more
And nothing but happiness
Come through your door.

And yes, I'm very Irish My maternal grandfather, the oldest of 13 children, and all his family came from Galway in 1878. My mom even learned one phrase in Gaelic - though I'm not sure why. She could say "You are a big potato" until the day she died.

We are having a few beautiful days here. We got our covered deck all ready for summer living, had supper out there, and hung out until almost 8pm. And we'll do it all again tonite!

LYN - I'm a double spacer. I was taught that was proper when I went through business school when I was 17/18. If the computer changes it, so be it, but I'm not changing. My first name is Virginia. Off and on through school I was called Ginger, Gin, and Ginny, though mostly Mary. Unless, during high school, a boy was at my house (which didn't happen very often!) my mom would call me at the top of her voice from another room, "Oh VIRGIN ee-uh". Subtle, Mom.

JANA - what's the problem with the red snappers? Bill bought our Red Snappers years ago and even when I do the quilting he loads the quilts using the snappers. He loads the back first, starting in the middle using the little 3" pieces. He has lots of tricks to make it easier. Send me a text if you want to hear any of them. He would be happy to walk you through it. I keep leftover pieces of binding for scrappy quilts/scrappy bindings. Or I press them back out and put them into my strip pile or even just tuck back into my scrap bin. I always use them up eventually. That was quite a story about Kate and Aaron! I;m sure Lila was the star of her class that day, having such amazing parents!

CHRISS - what?? No middle name? I knew a guy who had no middle name, went into the Navy, so the Navy issued him a middle initial. No name, just the intial. Bill's sis doesn't have a middle name either. She is a twin to the youngest of her four brothers. Their mom didn't want a girl and could only think of Rebecca so that's what she got and nothing else. There is no easy way to say goodbye to our loved ones. I've lost 2 husbands, 2 parents, and 2 brothers. Most were sick for a long time, one was a horrific sudden shock. I just know I'd have any of them back if I could, sick or not.

MARY Q (Meg)- I wish one of my Gin/Ginny/Ginger nicknames had stuck, too. I don't care for Mary. We are a good Catholic family and do have our share of Marys and Maries. Mom was Marie. My paternal GM was Marie but went by Mary. My older sis is June Marie but goes by Tina. My younger sis is Marie Therese but goes by Terri. We have at least 5 generations of Frederic Eugenes, too, on my dad's side, stemming from Frederick the Great of Prussia. As for Amara's book, we are way ahead of you. We already decided to make this a tradition of every time we visit. We can't see her often so we have to make sure she remembers us. We're going to make another one of our Alaska trip with my sis and dbil but shhhh.... it's going to be their Christmas gift so don't spill the beans to Tina/June! I'm glad you gave yourself an almost day off the chores. I do that almost every day! lol! Until one day I get a burst of energy and do everything all at once. I STILL haven't done last week's laundry. Maybe tomorrow,

SHARONA - Tornados are so scary! I think worse than actual hurricanes, though we don't really have either here so what do I know. I'm just glad all your family weren't hit, but feel for those who were. A medium pizza in your town is $35???! Yikes! Depends on where you go - tavern or upscale pizzeria - but a medium here runs between $12 and $22 I think. We usually get larges so we can take leftovers home. Still got snow? My sisters got 6" in Longmont. They say usually this late in the year the storms are snow'n'go. They melt quickly. But you are some further east, so maybe not so for you?

LOIS - So has your fabric arrived yet for your pineapples? Did you order solids? prints? brights? themed?

Yesterday I got a haircut (fingers crossed, I haven't tried fixing it yet today.), did some birthday shopping for several folks, and then we cleaned off our deck and got it all set up for summer living. Our friend, Doyle came by in the afternoon and we all sat out on the deck and had a glass of wine and toasted summer! Today my oldest grand, Drew, is coming by to share some "good news" (which we think is going back to his old job at Bremerton Naval Shipyard but we'll see . . ) and he wants to go out to lunch somewhere. I did get most of my Scaredy Cat blocks cut out. Just have background pieces to cut and I can start sewing. I'm probably going to be sick of this quilt after making four of them. I've only cut out the first one so far.

Enjoy your day and don't forget to wear your green! You don't want to get pinched! (or maybe you do?)

mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: Sunday, March 17th - St. Patrick's Day!!

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:19 am

Top o the mornin to you...I am not even a pinch Irish...(97% polish ...verified) But I make corned beef and cabbage and soda bread for my irishman. ( He is half...verified,) But today since we have some thing to do we will have it tomorrow...DD needs Ken to go get the wood cut for her book cases and Sophia is having problems with a pattern and needs my expertise..(?) Im not a garment sewer but can read a pattern. She opened several patterns and got over whelmed...I will talk her off the ledge...
I didnt sew yesterday but I m on a role with spring cleaning...dining room remodel will be coming soon...we have a textured ceiling that needs to be removed and plastered then the room will need repainting,,,I hope to get this done soon.
We used the outdoor pizza oven yesterday and it was very very good pizza which home made total for the whole dinner was about 7 bucks..not a bad thing if you are paying $20-$35 for pizza dinner....we havent been in a restuarant for pizza in a long ;long time. but we have had carry out and it isnt cheap/
Well Ken just brought up my coffee and I need to get moving...hope your St Paddy's Day is green and warm...I have an Irish blessing on my sun room wall it say..
May those that love us...Love us.
And those that dont love us...May God turn their hearts
If he cannot turn their hearts may he turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping..
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:45 am

Good morning,

The sun goes in and out but thats ok.
Mary I did get my fabric but what appeared to be bright on the computer screen wasn't but using it anyway.
I don't have alot of fabric or quilt shops around here so I have to rely on the internet.
Judi your Irish saying is very cute I like the part about the ankles

I have my corned beef in the slow cooker on low
I'm not Irish by no means but I do like corned beef.
Everyone have a good day .
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 am

Good morning To you all!

And A Very Happy St. Patrick's day to you all! Being a quarter Irish I guess I can celebrate--tho I own nothing green to wear! My Mom was 1/2 Irish and German and she sure was proud of her Irish side! When I was a kid, we had two prayers on the wall in the dining room--one in Norwegian and one Irish prayer---Mom made sure that the Irish one hung just a little higher on the wall!

Maryz.... I'm trying to remember if Jen and I were in Galway in 2000 when we went to Ireland. Man that's a place I'd go back to in a heartbeat! Your Catholic family must have gone with the "rules" of naming kids after saints--there was always to be saints name included--either first or middle. Every generation since my folks, has at least one child named Thomas (middle name) or Margaret (middle name) after my parents. What did your stylist say when you showed up with red hair instead of the highlights?

Judy.... Send Sophia over here if she needs help.. I'm a clothing maker from way back. I used to make a lot of my own clothes since I was in high school and lots and clothes of clothes for my kids. Jen still remembers going to kindergarten in all home made clothes. It was less expensive in those days, but not so much anymore with high cost of fabric and patterns!! Is she making clothes to wear or costumes etc. I knew a gal when I worked that made the most gorgeous outfits for those Animated cartoons things. Sophie will know what I mean! Your pizza sounds delicious!!! Here a Pizza Hut or Delivery pizza can be almost $30, so I gave up on ordering them. In our little town we have 6 pizza places! Papa Murphy's is my favorite.

Lois... OH I KNOW I have some bright solid fabrics around here that would be perfect for your quilt!!! Before you get too far making your blocks... let me look. I would be so happy to send them out to you. I'll text you if I find anything. Years ago, we did a swap with black and brights, so I know I have fabric left! I'll bundle up and go out to the garage later! I'm with you on the corned beef---tho I will occasionally eat Corned beef hash!

Lyn... I'd sure like the name "Dianna" over Marcia if I had to choose!! My nephew asked me once why Gramma (my mom) named me Mary, I said I think she just liked that name---he said "but it's such a religious name" He was like 5 or 6 at the time. Now he's grown up with a little boy named Bodhi (bo-dee) After and since my Mom has passed, I'm now much more proud of my name.

Sharon...Yes you do need 14 notebooks--I'm assuming you mean spiral notebooks! I have at least that many and have been pretty good at not buying any more, but when back-to-school sales start in the fall and they are cheap, it's so hard to resist the temptation. Years ago I tried to collect notebooks from colleges and I have several that I've received over the years--I don't know what I am saving them for ! There's just something about blank paper---it's hereditary tho, as my Mom would go crazy for notebooks too and always had several around.

Chriss... So true.. you can do all those important things at a young age, but don't have the good sense to not drive when drunk or to vote responsibly. In MN there were talking about lowering the voting age to 16, I don't think it passed. Can you imagine what a disaster that would be. Totally clueless kids voting! Did you get your tomatoes planted? Sending lots of good thoughts that your hospice nurse/team can provide some help/ideas for keeping Jerry safe during the night.

Not sure what the POTD will be today. I got the borders on the Picnic quilt, then started a few of the blocks for niece's quilt--which actually went together very well and looks just like I'd hoped. Waiting on more fabric for it. If it weren't so darn cold (only up to 32* here) I'd go out in the garage and dig out some backing fabric. Doesn't look like it's going to warm up all week, but no place I have to go until Friday, unless I meet brother Tim for lunch during the week.

For now my coffee is cold and I need a shower!!

Wishing you all of God's blessings today!

velvet

Post by velvet » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:47 am

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!!!!!

MAY YOUR BLESSINGS OUTNUMBER THE CLOVER THAT GROWS.
AND MAY TROUBLE AVOID YOU WHEREVER YOU GO!!!!

My family came here 1863 from Roscommon Ireland. Yes, being a Catholic family, my mother was 1 of 10.
Today dinner is at Joe and Frans of course they'll have a traditional Irish meal. I made soda bread from a recipe off the computer. Fingers crossed and if not, can be used as a freesbee.

Enjoy the day with memories that make you smile!
Diane

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:31 am

Good morning!

Happy St Patrick's day! Even though there's not a drop of Irish or a Catholic family here. I'm a Marie middle name, named after my father, who did come from a Catholic family, in Portugal. His Portuguese name was, Jose Maria, yes, Maria, but when they immigrated here, the person writing the records changed it to Joseph Melvin. When I was born, my mom was dead set on naming me Shirley, but thank goodness my dad stepped in and ask to name me after him. My real name is -- Jo Ann Marie. I have gone by my nickname of Jana, sincecI was 9, as my niece couldn't say Jo Ann. All my family, my mom, brothers, nieces, nephew's call me Jana. Definitely dodged a bullet with names! It is common place for no middle names with girls as you do research in family history. The girl's middle name often happens when she marries, making her surname her middle name. I know several families where they did that with all their girls. All my kids have middle names. Each one of mine carry a family name and a biblical name. On Michael's side , the son is named after the grandfather, eliminating having two of the same name in the household. It goes back several generations and continues down with my boys and their boys. Oh, no Irish, just Scottish!

Church is 8n a few minutes.

My red smappers problem is my thumb and it's arthritis. It's painful and goes into a deep spasm trying to squish the two pieces together. Hence, the engineer coming up with something to make it better. That's what engineers do! He tested a small pair of vise grip pliers and made it work, easily for me. Those pliers are now clamped on the side and no one touches them for any thing else! So after church I'll get the quilt loaded. Maybe even quilted. I'm using a simple loop and meander freehand pattern. It goes quick.

So better get finishing getting ready,

Hugs,
Jana

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:24 am

Happy St. Patrick's Day! May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.

Got up kinda early today. Had lots of paper work plans, Did get my taxes done after much trial and error. My weekend job has the W2 online but you have to have a password. Really, maybe if somebody gave it to me I could print the W2. Well I figured it out but it took a bit. Another year done, 12 months till I have to worry about it again. Started some paperwork for Dad, discovered his binder with all the lawyer paperwork is gone amiss. I can't find it anywhere? I can tell you exactly where it should be but can't find it. Then discovered that this form needs to be notorized, well, can't do that today so will put off till tomorrow. I will keep looking for the binder too. I also need to get to SS as the information they send out every year has been misdelivered by the mailman (along with a few other things) so hoping I can get it from the SS office. I think that is all I need for his taxes too. Just need to put it all together and make an appointment with the tax lady.

Yesterday was class 3 of 4 for my mystery quilt. God has been on my side and I have been able to keep up. Only me and one other lady are up to day. The quilt is bigger than I thought, 90 x 90. She put me on her schedule for August so I have time to finish it up and find a backing. She thinks we can get at least the inner top done next class and then we can do the borders at home. She gave us a few hints yesterday as to the finished look. I think it will be nice. I am just still not sure about my color choices. Blues and Green of various types/shades. The borders look a bit Aztecy to me.

The Corned beef is in the crock pot with some red potatoes and carrots. I will but the cabbage in later. I haven't made it the few years as DH doesn't really like it. But this year, we are having it! I have enough for a couple meals.

Maryz I guess it depends on who is doing the pinching! Speaking of children remembering, when I went to see the kids last weekend, Lina looked absolutely amazed that I would show up on her doorstep. Lina has no middle name either. I have a niece Virgina, we call her Ginny. Now how you got Mary (her mother's name) out of Virginia I've no idea!

Judi the family for a long time thought it was Irish, turns out, the relative was Scottish but moved to Ireland at the age of 2, so everyone just thought he was Irish. Nope, Scot it is. But I think Caledonia is probably my most favorite song from the area. Of course by Celtic Thunder. On my bucket list is to see them someday. Love your blessing!

Lois I saw you made some Lotto blocks, did you mail them?

Maryq hope your POTD comes together well. I am in the process of making mine too. I might try to cut the log cabin with the log cabin die.

Diane I haven't made soda bread, I really don't like it much. I don't thing DH does either.

Jana I have heard that about girls and middle names. That is why Lina doesn't have one. I didn't know that is somewhat common in the Hispanic community. Josiah has 2 middle names and I sure couldn't tell you what they are. He is the first son, the second son Xavier only has one.

Chriss I am so sad that Jerry is giving you difficulties. Just know he isn't in control of his thinking processes and as long as he doesn't break anything (on him that is) it is okay. His getting up may be as simple as him needing to toilet but he just can't express that at the time. It's not an uncommon occurance in men his age. Also what kind of a mattress is he on. Maybe they can get a more comfortable one. Are they giving him Lorazepam? He may not call for help because he doesn't want to interrupt your sleep. He is a nice guy you know. Maybe you could take a short nap while he sleeps in the day.

Well, it's time for me to get back to business, getting whatever paperwork together I can find and keep looking for Dad's binder.

I hope you all have a wonderful day,
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 am

Happy St Patrick's Day to All. I'm about 1/3 Irish, on my Mom's side.

No middle names?? How would you know if you were in trouble? My Mom always yelled my full name if I was in big trouble. I did the same with my girls and I know they do it with their kids. :lol:

Today is the gospel jam. I'm going to go listen and take some crocheting with me. I am on my laptop and have been double spacing after the periods. Guess we'll see if it changes when I hit post.

Hope y'all have a happy green day!
Lyn

EDIT: It removes the second space when posted, but when I open it back up it's double spaced. Guess we can all save hitting the space bar twice.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:20 am

Good morning. It's going to be a great day today.

Yesterday I had the windows open for a little while. Today I hope for more of the same. Last night Jerry only woke up once, I put him in his recliner and slept till 5am. It was wonderful.

Today my plan is to tidy up and then try for a little outside work. I want to sweep out the breezeway, and maybe plant my lone tomato plant. Fingers crossed. Gotta pay a few bills, the medical bills are trickling in, there really aren't many and they all happened in January so there will be no more along the way. Huge blessing. After that I hope to sew.

Sometimes I think I would do well with an agenda. Kind of a plan for the day and spend a certain amount of time on each thing. If I follow a plan for long enough it will become a habit. Maybe that's silly.

Maryz, well? What did Drew have to say. What's his big news? Marriage? Lotto win? New vehicle?

Judi, pizza is costly here too. When we have pizza I scour the internet for coupons. If I can't find a good deal I choose Papa Murphy's take and bake. It worked perfectly during the superbowl. I ordered online, prepaid online then picked it up at an appointed time. It worked perfectly.

Lois, your fabric will be great. I also like corned beef and cabbage. Jerry doesn't like cabbage. I sure do.

Maryq, I knew you'd have a thought as soon as I saw that Sharon had typed, Does she really need 14 notebooks. I kept quiet and waited for you to set her straight. cracks me up. When we were kids and my dad would come home from work in the morning. (He was a fireman and had to spend the night at the firehouse during his shift) He would make corned beef hash and poached eggs for breakfast. Libbys brand corned beef hash. He'd use a can opener on both ends of the can and slide the hash out and slice it so it could be cooked. A great memory.

Diane, hope it's a great meal.

Jana, so many names were changed when families emigrated here. I had always wondered how you went from JoAnn to Jana. My son was named after my dad and my grandpa. Richard Michael.

Valerie, I know that Jerry's actions are a result of the meds and his cancer. It must be awful knowing you are dying and have no control. Last night he asked me if he could have one more day and told me he wants to live. This morning, he asked me to forgive him. His emotions are all over the place and that must be awful. His mattress is the hospital bed with a waffle plug in thing and a egg crate on top of that. He's taking liquid morphine .5 ml every two hours and Haldol .25 ml every four hours. And he just told me he wants to go off of hospice and back onto chemo. I am so frustrated I could just scream.

Lyn, I sure could use a gospel jam.

I gotta go, have a great day
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”