Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday March 16th,,,

Daily discussions.
womster

Re: Saturday March 16th,,,

Post by womster » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 am

Good morning!

Judi – yay for being done! Pizza sounds mighty good for dinner. We’ll either have calzones or pizza during the week. I don’t know what the prices are out there, but here you can’t get a medium pizza for less than $35. It’s crazy!

Lois – a cat quilt sounds cute. How wonderful that Teresa received her comfort quilt.

Flo – I’ve never heard of a weeping cherry – I bet it is a beautiful tree. Enjoy your company.

Maryz – the latest news on the mass casualties was that it hit an RV camping spot (!) and not a trailer park. Haven’t heard an update, but from looking at those pictures the lot was almost scrubbed down to bare dirt. Tornados are so scary. Glad your cousin is still fighting the good fight. Enjoy the planning for Alaska – the planning can be almost as fun as the trip. Maybe the vacuum fairy will show up at your house.

Jana – holy guacamole – how fortuitous that Kate and Aaron were in the building. How awful for that poor woman. Those pies sound delicious! Enjoy your sun.

Maryq – I do have a path, and it is snow and water free. I love the yearbook idea. I’m in total agreement for skipping the heavy chores and play. I bet that picnic quilt is cute.

Lyn – I will check that show out. I still use two spaces but a lot of places edit it out. Enjoy your dinner.

Chriss – I’m so glad they were able to get a wee visit in. I remember when my grandmother was toward the end, we would be talking and she would just drift off mid-sentence.
The deck guys came over to shovel out paths so they can work tomorrow. I’ve been in the study dejunking – do I really need fourteen notebooks? I did throw three away so that’s a start. We lost power yesterday for about three hours – DH started the generator after half-an-hour. Not sure what the rest of the day will bring. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:32 pm

Good morning. Happy Saturday.

A friend offered to come help me work in the garden a bit. She brought me a tomato plant yesterday which was so very kind. And when the sun dries out the dew I want to start on weed eating. But I can't. Jerry would be in the house alone and he's been trying to get up lately and has been taking off his oxygen. So it's inside for me. Sewing and cleaning out drawers. I think I will clean out Jerry's dresser and just keep his things in a bag ready to donate. But first sewing.

Last night Jerry got out of bed, he scooted past the rails and sat in a chair. He also fell twice yesterday. I've contacted the Hospice nurse to see if he can have something to help him sleep better so that I can sleep better. I did get a good 5 hours last night for which I am thankful.

Judi, pizza sounds like a great idea. I bet if your family hears that the pizza oven is being fired up you will have a house full.

Lois, boy that cat swap was a zillion years ago. It was fun.

Flo, does a weeping cherry produce fruit? I googled it and it is a beautiful tree.

Maryz, I misspoke. Noah's grandma is named Chris. Marilyn has 3 grandma type people named Chris. It really would be nice if someone vacuumed, wouldn't it? I did sweep the kitchen floor yesterday, enough dog hair to fill a small pillow. Would be nice it the someone who was going to vacuume also mopped. So glad Amara got her book, what fun to be that little girl. I'm sorry to hear that both a quick and a slow loss are awful. I will say I don't want to do this ever again.

Jana, It's so wonderful that the kids got to realize how important first responders are. Glad the kids got that lesson.

Maryq (Meg) I really want to see the picnic quilt. Isn't it odd? At 16 you can drive, 18 you can join the military, at 21 you can buy alcohol but at those ages you don't have any sense. Hope your chores are quick.

Lyn (Diana) I didn't have such a luxury. My given name is Christine I have no middle name and other than things like Chrissy or Chriss I had no nicknames. I did try on Christie for a time but it didn't stick. When I started working at my last job I was going to be Christine but people knew me from school and boom, I was Chrissy just that quick. Notice the two spaces after the period as I type. I'm still a two space girl. Are you typing on a phone and allowing the phone to insert the period?

Sharon, nice to have your paths shoveled. Hope they are in the right spots. So glad to hear Sammy is safe from the tornado,

Well it's after noon already and I have had multiple interruptions. But now i will get my day started.

You all have a wonderful day,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:01 pm

Living room and sun room are done....I will chime in on quick vs slow deaths....I have much exposure to both as an oncology nurse...I used to always think that cancer although a terrible death gave families a chance to say good bye or make peace as needed..with all the meds and hospice support most patients are not in much pain now ether,,,but at some point it is hard to watch,,,if you have already made peace and said goodbye. you feel guilty for wanting it to end for you and your love one.. if you are the caregiver you are feeling guilty for wanting them to go....all of that is normal. I watched families go through both and the quick unexpectd death seems to be the hardest to get over. I have personally been through a death,my brother died of pancreatic cancer he was sick for 4 yrs...we made peace and said goodbye many times..but at the end I wanted him to die and be at peace...His family had all the guilt..also. Each person must deal with their grief in there own way...the is no bad way to grieve..and no good way to die.....xxxooo

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:36 pm

Well, all the pieces parts for the stars quilt are ready and waiting to be loaded. My engineer is solving the problem of getting my red snappers , snapped in place. What we thought would work, didn't. So Michael is working on a few other thoughts at the moment. I got the binding all made as well. I had hoped that I would have enough of the backing fabric left to get the binding from, nope. So I cut strips of the scraps that I have leftover from the stars and sewed them into the long biding strip that I need. Well, I have sewn and pressed enough binding to do a 7 sided quilt! This quilt is a large one - about 90 inches, square. I have a lot of binding that will be leftover. Now. one of you very smart quilters needs to come up with this great idea for using up leftover binding! besides as binding a quilt. Done for the day, loading can come tomorrow.

Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:55 pm

Jana, could you take the leftover binding and do a jelly roll race kind of a thing and turn it into a tote? Or sew it round and round like a rope bowl?

Judi, I have to say I agree with everything you said. Lots has changed here since I first asked the question. Jerry and I have been talking so much more. We have been putting together a book for Marilyn that is called My Grandfathers Life. I ask the questions from the book he answers and i write them down. wish we had done that a long time ago.

And now I am going to look for slippers on Amazon. It's getting warm here and I need summer slippers.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:39 pm

Judi, You have definitely hit the nail on the head. My family and I had such a hard time seeing my Mom linger with little quality of life. She didn't have cancer and to be honest I was never told an exact diagnosis and not sure my oldest brother was ever told. He and my DSIL were in charge.

I have posted on my phone today. I will test my laptop tomorrow and see if it leaves 2 spaces or removes one.

Chriss aka Christie, I hope you are able to get a good night's sleep. The book y'all are doing for Marilyn will be treasured.

Dinner with friends and then coming back and sitting out here was very nice. The one couple used to be parked next door. He started having trouble getting up the 5th wheel steps. They decided to have a little house build here in town. They are very busy, Bill plays guitar and goes to jams and plays at a nursing home, which is amazing as he will be 89 in July.
Lyn

Return to “Sew ins”