Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday March 15

Daily discussions.
WeSignificant

Friday March 15

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:55 am

Uhm, where is everybody?

Good morning everyone, no work today. I think I will just try to sleep some, maybe straighten up in the sewing room. I do have to go get a few groceries and a bank run. Spring has sprung here and the blossoms are kicking the allergies into full gear. Oh I do have 3 more blocks to do for the mystery quilt class tomorrow but did get all the cutting done.
Lois I need to get the Spring cleaning bug. I have to work this weekend for that 2 weekend a month job but next weekend may be a good time to start that. I did do my back door a bit ago but it needs it again after the few storms we have had. I am not sure we are done with rain yet though.
Sharona glad the internet is back up but hoping it works completely real soon. I would say 8 inches of snow is a blizzard here. LOL
Chriss we are heading to 70’s this week too. I am kinda tired of the cold and ready to complain about the heat now. We don’t get the heat like you do though. We also don’t have snakes! Yuk! I didn’t get to thrift store. The allergies kicked in with all the wind that was upvalley and I just came home after seeing my two patients. Got all but 2 charts done. Will get to them today. Was Marilyn able to get threw?
Maryq it seems like posts are disappearing at an increasing rate. I remember when that never used to happen.
Jana that’s some fierce winds. Hope things have calmed down and everything is where it belongs.
Judi we won’t do anything special either. I will find DH a chocolate bunny and that will be it. The kids can’t come so it will be just us. I think the Irish stuffed cabbage is made with corned beef. Prayers for your DDIL, there is a lot of progress being made in MS. My DBIL is getting some sort of new treatment also.
Tinab glad to hear DH ankle is improving, I noticed when I was up with the Kids DD is still favoring her ankle and it’s been quite a while now. I think it was last winter she broke it. She still has all the hardware in and I wonder if that is contributing. They don’t know if she will ever be able to get rid of any of it though. You never know.
Maryz I have a rolling case right now for the Go-Big but am looking into buying the table made for it. It’s a bit pricey but we will see after Vacation what the bank balance says. We have not gotten the boat back yet and not sure the final cost of that. I am thinking of looking into this mechanic a bit more. DH says he had good reviews. Wow, I have not had Chicken Cacciatore in ages. I remember forever ago when my DMIL bought me my first crock pot, that is what I made them. No, I did not make any pies for Pi day.
Well coffee cup is empty, and would like to get the last two charts done soon so I can go to grocery store early. St. Patricks day this weekend I think will bring the crowds to the grocery. Have a great day everyone.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Re: Friday March 15

Post by maryq » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:45 am

Good morning

This in unbelievable... I'm here BEFORE Maryz, and Judi!

Valerie.... Part of the reason I lose posts, is I go back and forth between two open windows.. and often click the wrong window! I refresh the one I'm reading, but sometimes refresh the one I'm typing on! Make sense? Hope you get a little nap in today, I'm a firm believer in naps, tho I rarely take them any more. When I first retired I took one every day---just because I COULD, but now I'd rather be sewing! :lol:

Yesterday was a busy day... Had lunch with the girls, which is always fun. We of course brag about our grandchildren and show pictures. One of the gals is going to Africa in August to attend her grand daughter's wedding.. How cool is that!! After that I ran to CPA and dropped off tax papers, dropped off a load of KC's junk (good stuff really) at a local Thrift store and then went to Walmart for groceries. AGAIN, I forgot my list, so of course I bought things that weren't on it, but they had sweat shirts on sale for $5. and I live in those, and I needed printer ink and you know how expensive that is :D oh and I happened to walk by some really pretty yarn that I didn't need, but it was so soft and pretty and would make really nice baby hats! I'm even trying my hand at Adult hats for DB's South Dakota folks for next winter. I did sew a little yesterday and got one block made of niece's wedding quilt just to practice and it turned out pretty good! So next week I'll keep working on it.

This morning, I have a assn. board meeting next door---we're doing research on finding a management company rather than US doing everything (Sharon, the pres. Katie the Treas. and me the secretary) It's getting a little stressful and nobody else wants the job---we're all old folks here... 70's and up! Tonight I'm going to a dinner with my DDIL Sara's Mom (she's Mary too) for the boys choir that Nolan was in. So I don't have to worry about cooking today!

Other than that, no big news around here. It's supposed to warm up to 60 something again so I may throw open a window for a bit and get some fresh air!

For now I better go get my shower and put on my public face!
Wishing you all a Fabulous Friday

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:55 am

Well it happened to me my whole post disappeared,,,I am doing laundry and changing the sheets today...I am alsmost done so I can head up to hobby lobby...get some best press and see what else I can find....I just feel like getting out of the house today,,,will of course check out the thrift store since after cleaning out the Christmas storage room I have 2 empty bins and a box for donations...I cleared out a bin full of half used ribbon and other havent used in a couple of years,,,time to let it go. I also purged out a lot of Misc Christmas plates and cups...only keeping the dinner plates,,and serving pieces..donating cups and misc small plates and bowls..I can actually walk into my storgae room and find things,,,
I read an article about a swedish tradtion of inviting your friends and family over to your house so you can give them all the things of yours they might want after you die...do it now and save them the trouble...I found this funny as I can picture my DD and #1 son sitting there with their arms crossed across their chests going "I dont want any of this junk!" and my other 2 kids frantically filling their cars,,,,,,and trucks... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sun has finally come out...so off i go...hope your day is filled with fun things,,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:04 am

Good morning,

Yesterday we had eye doctors and I hate to be dilated because I don't know what they do but I am blurry for about 5 hrs so I didn't do anything so today we went to the gym and now I'm going to start cleaning.
I got an email from Quilt in a day yesterday they had that scary cat pattern so I bought it I'm a sucker for patterns it's going in the pile for maybe some day I have loved that pattern since it was in the AP quilting in December
Well thats all from here have a great day.
Off to start cleaning.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:32 am

Good morning,

The Ides of March! Who here studied any Shakespeare in High School. Show of hands. Our freshman class acted out Merchant of Venice, touched on several other plays, and even made a field trip to a theater to see Twelfth Night. I loved Shakespeare.

VAL, I like to hear of you having a Valerie Day! No matter what you do - a day all to yourself! I know you've told us but how long until you can retire? Thanks for the mini network lesson. I live with a network engineer, but didn't think to ask him! lol! I am making Scaredy Cat Christmas for my two DD's, one sister, and myself. I'll make a differernt pattern (unchosen as yet) for my younger sister. I've just started cutting the first one. My days got really busy this week so I haven't touched it since last Tuesday. QIAD had that pattern on sale yesterday. I think LORI bought it. A purrfect pattern for Christmas/cat lovers.

TINA B - glad DH is doing so well. So you won't both be back home for good until June? And home is Illinois?

JUDI - prayers for your DDIL. Did she go alone? How long will she be gone? I'm wondering what this new treatment consists of. Your cabbage rolls sound very much like what I used to make 'back in the day'. With tomatoes. I am labeling my "important" stuff (my gramma's, etc) for my kids to find. My older DD wants anything that belonged to my mom - but nothing of mine. I've already given Autumn the few things I had left from my 1971 wedding an she treasures it. My DIL wants nothing and in fact I already fished family heirlooms out of the trash that she tosed in. So, there you have it - Goodwill gets it all!

JANA - did you find your embellishments? How do you make just a little lemon meringue pie? Half the recipe? Lemon is my favorite though my favorite favorite is sour cream lemon. Somehow, though, I always end up making apple, Bill's favorite.

MARY Q - it can be a lot of work being an officer in any group. Bill was pres and I was secretary of our old dance group, The Guns & Garters, back in the day. Lots of behind the scenes effort. Glad you are getting started on the wedding quilt. Deadlines can be stressful and I don't want to be stressed worrying about it for you, :lol:

MARY Q - How was your lunch with your old co-workers yesterday? I get together with a few of mine twice a year - have for about 30 years now. Today I'm going out with my third step-cousin (the only cousin I will claim). Our great grandparents were both widowed when they married each other. So technically we're not related but we've been "cousins" since about 2nd grade.

CHRISS - I hope Marilyn and Jerry had some M&J time yesterday video-chatting. And you got a little sewing time. Any time you say you're going anywhere I always assume it's to Merced for groceries, car stuff, sewing machine stuff, thrift shops. 30 miles each way. I didn't realize your machine was so much further.

SHARONA - I hope your internet is back up and running - though with all your snow - maybe not?

LORI - I did see Q had Scaredy Cat Christmas on sale. I'm just starting on my first (of four) of that pattern. For my first one, anyway, I'm making it in Christmas fabrics about the colors in the photo. I may go rogue for some of the others. It would be a great pattern for non-Christmas, too. My older sister isn't much on Christmas but she loves trees and cats.

LOIS - I'm glad you bought the Scaredy Cat pattern for your maybe someday pile. I bought Sparrows for th same reason after you did yours!

Wenesday was all about errands and shopping from 9am to 4pm. Yesterday was cooking and kitchen cleaning from 6:30am to 4:30pm then company from 5 to 10pm. I was so tired I slept until 6am this morning! Unheard of in recent times for me! Today I am meeting my "cousin" for lunch but otherwise hope to be working on my Scaredy Cat Christmas all day long with maybe a couple loads of laundry tossed in. Tomorrow our DGS, Drew, is coming by to give us some "good news" (we don't know what it is yet) and wants to go out to lunch. We're doing a lot of eating this week! And my scale shows it. :shock:

It's time for my walk. Something is out there this morning. Scottie is frantic, whining, barking, trying to get out of the house. Probably a coyote went through and he can smell it. The neighborhood bear isn't up yet I don't think.

Wishing us all a Fabulous Friday!
mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:33 am

Good morning!

Due to the high winds, we waited until just now to put the trash at the curb. It's pick up day, and we really want them to do the pick up, not us from all over the yard! The wind has stayed north of me, so I didn't get the huge mph of them. A very good thing! I have seen train cars, blown over up in the way of that canyon wind. Glad we are somewhat protected up against the mountains on my side of the valley.

Put off straightening yesterday, so will do that today. Sarah was sick, so I made all the school runs for her. That took a chunk out of my day yesterday. Sewing is the plan today. And some groceries. Need a corned beef for Sunday.

We had a funny laugh yesterday. It seems as if some bored college kids from CAL, decided to try and set a world record of riding a BART train through all the stations. It took them a little over 5 hours. So we are laughing, claiming that Michael is now part of a world record! You see, as a engineer with BART all those years, he developed the software for the trains speed codes and station dwell times. In other words, they needed all his work to accomplish this feat! 😀😃 So he's a silent partner in that Guinness World record.

Off to get started, so I'll be done sooner to play longer!

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:54 am

Lois, I bought the pattern too. 😂
Lori 8-)

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 am

I'm gonna need lots of coffee to get my engine running today. I woke up tired.

Sharona, how much snow did you end up with? By the looks of our steps and landing at the front door in Estes, it's probably 3 ft +.

I have lost posts, too. The best thing I've found is to read on phone and write on laptop.

Chriss, I hope Jerry and Marilyn had a good video chat. Glad you took some Chriss time. Prayers continue.

Tina, I hope your surgery goes well and you and DH heal up brand new like. Prayers for you both.

Does anyone use anything for tinnitus? I started having trouble last fall and it gets very loud at times. Of course my phone has heard me say the word and now my FB feed is full of remedies to fix it. But I don't click on them, no time to listen to the always long winded info.

I saw the cat pattern, but didn't buy it. Did see QIAD had EQ printable pages on sale. It's a better price than whatever brand Walmart sells, so I bought 2. I may print a couple pictures for Kaylyn's graduation quilt I hope to make. They also had some 505 spray on sale, I'm getting low on it.

Wed. beading wasn't very productive for my project. I helped my friend get started on making leaves that will be for roses she wants to make. It's nice to visit with a half dozen ladies and exchange ideas and patterns.

Yesterday I got my driver's license renewed online, but I'm not sure which address it's going to be mailed to. Does someone know how to sign up for the post office delivery notification thing? I think I need that for the TX house. Then I put a big order in for supplements to Amazon.

Never sewed on Tuesday. Between getting water billing changed and getting on a United Airline site to send proof that I'm still a dependent, I ran out of day. I did learn that you can take a laptop screen shot and then mark out stuff you don't want seen. I had to do that to send the credit card first page showing our names and address. For some reason my printer and laptop weren't talking to each other. Still have to fix that.

Today I'm sewing, period!!!
Lyn

womster

Post by womster » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 am

Good morning!

Valerie – a day of rest – how lovely! Sorry to hear about the allergies – and that reminds me I must go ‘water my nose’ (spray it with Flonase). You’d think with all the snow on the ground the allergies would stay away, but NO. I hope your DD’s ankle doesn’t cause her too much discomfort. What a pain about the boat. Enjoy your day off.

Maryq – were you petting that yarn before you decided to buy it?! How nice of you to make the SD people hats. I bet it gets really cold out there. I don’t blame you for finding a management company – what a thankless job y’all are doing. Lunch with friends is the best. Forgetting the list is why I started using Alexa for the grocery list. I have, of course, forgotten my phone, but since we share the Alexa, it shows up on DH’s phone. Enjoy your dinner with Sara’s mom.

Judi – you certainly have made headway in that storage room. I don’t think any of our kids want our stuff, except I can see the youngest wanting things of sentimental value. Have fun at Hobby Lobby. Prayers said for your DDIL.

Lois – I know what you mean about dilation. Sometimes I’ve woken up the next morning with my eyes still dilated. Thank you for what you said about patterns (putting it in the pile). I am going to order two patterns now and start my own pile.

Maryz - *raises hand*. I also love Shakespeare. Yikes! I hope it isn’t a coyote or the bear. Our dog was whining in that high-pitched, almost a scream whine. I looked out and saw a husky tromping through the snow having the time of his life. I’m tired just reading about your day yesterday. I wonder what Drew’s good news is?! Yes our internet is almost back to normal. I forgot what it was like to live like cavemen.

Jana – out here, they make us put all our trash in garbage bags before putting them in the bins. DH balked at first, but now realizes the wisdom in that. No more paper flying all over. Hope Sarah is feeling better.

Lyn - looks like around a foot. It is very wet. I have been having printer problems also - I'm hoping it was all due to the ISP issues and are now resolved. Sew like the wind today!

We got about 12” of snow in all, but as a friend pointed out, the snow is so heavy it has squished down the actual amount. It has finally stopped snowing. The internet is almost back to normal – they are having some issues with certain domains but that is supposed to be fixed shortly. My DBIL (the one whose arms are paralyzed) had two MRIs yesterday and will meet with the neurologist next Tuesday. It isn’t looking good. Not sure if he’ll need yet another surgery or if this is permanent. Miss Sammy texted me last night from their basement (scared) - lots of tornadoes going through Ohio. Thankfully they didn't get hit with any, but several towns did. Today I will be dejunking the study as it is in shambles. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:10 am

Good morning. The heater has been turned off and the weather is warming up. I'll turn the heater on while we sleep but it won't be long before doors will be opened, and the house aired out.

Still haven't finished my lotto blocks but am getting to sew little by little. I used black and grey fabric but it isn't looking happy. I used these colors because I had a jelly roll and wanted to use it. Hopefully I will get to sew today.

Marilyn and Jerry had a very short chat. Jerry fell asleep on her and that was that. then she and I chatted. Amazing the thought process of a 21 year old vs the thought process of a 60 year old. Her values and mine are so very different. She has so much growing up to do.

Maryq, the way there are Mary's in your family there are Chris's in Marilyns family. Both me and her dad's mom are named Chris and her boyfriend is also named Chris. But when I was in school I don't remember another Chris/Christine.

Lyn, I signed up for informed delivery. It was free on the USPS website. I get notifications when packages are coming but nothing with regular mail. Guess we re just too rural to get the fancy stuff. I think computers can also read your mind, I often get ads for things I only thought of. odd.

I have often wondered if it would be easier to have a loved one die instantly, like with a heart attack or in an accident, or to have them die slowly at home. I think I pick dying instantly. Yes there would be the shock of it but it wouldn't drag out.

I think I need a bit of breakfast then to start my day. I do need to get these floors done, it's been over a month and it's driving me nuts. I guess there is a lot that is driving me nuts lately.

You all have a marvelous day,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”