Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

TUESDAY, March 12th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

TUESDAY, March 12th

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:13 am

Good morning,

The coffee hasn't finished brewing yet so anything I say in this first line can't be held against me. ☕

JANA - If I remember right you have over 30 clocks to change. Are you a collector or do you just have a lot of clocks? We just have 10 but only had 3 to change. I'm glad for you that you had a quiet day yesterday and if all went as planned today is your play day. And what are you going to play with down in the B.C.? I don't really mind spiders. My dad named all spiders Alice. They do good work - eat the bad bugs. Still, I prefer not sharing the house with them, so when I see them, I gently relocate them outside. And the ants stay out in the woods. We don't have many other bugs except stink bugs which have gotten out of hand and just 1/2 hour ago I "relocated" one of them into the wood stove. Ugh.

FLO - My body doesn't know what time to do anything anymore. We've gone through 6 time changes in 4 months, 2 hours east, 2 hours west, plus off/on DST. I hope your new brush hog works super with your new tractor! We have one to keep the invasive blackberries at bay.

JUDI - We have a very well stocked pantry(s). The only freezers we have are in the fridges (kitchen and garage) which aren't terribly full, but enough for us for now. I think we're running neck and neck on cleaning. Yesterday I did living/dining/bathroom and got started on the kitchen but time ran out. We told our friend, Susie, that we'd come by her rehab facility at 2pm with Happy Hour stuff and visit a while. Doyle always meets us there and we have an hour visit. So today, I'll finish the kitchen, sewing room, and maybe do one load of wash. Then I can play!

CHRISS - Our flannel sheets will be on for at least another month here. I love flannel so we have them on at least 7 months of the year. Glad you had some sewing time. Which lotto blocks do you have to make a quilt for your nephew? I guess I could go back and look through last year's lottos. And when is his wedding?

MARY Q - did you get all your pillowcases sewn? You whip them up so quickly. It takes me about 3-4 hours to make 2. Maybe if I made as many as you do I'd get faster. That Christmas quilt you got is adorable. And doesn't look too difficult. I know you're going to enjoy putting it together and it will look nice, perhaps in your sun room? You need a wooden rocker next to your Christmas tree with that quilt draped over it. Purrfection!

SHARONA - I hope you finally got that package mailed! We watched just enough of the Oscars to listen to Jimmy Kimmel. I like to see the outrageous outfits but I catch plenty of them on the internet. Some were embarrassing! Some were just downright dumb and looked ridiculous. And some were classic beauty. All were a waste of money IMHO! lol!

LOIS - Have you got that pineapple quilt done yet? :D

Yesterday I cleaned and today I'll finish. I will have some "me" time after that but I may spend some of that at Goodwill looking for little girl clothes. She grows so fast that I hate to put money into new clothes that she may only wear once or twice. I will use any outfits I find as packing material in her birthday package. Bill made all our Alaska reservations for our August trip and today he'll book rooms and a tour in Denali. We toured Denali back in the late 90's when you could still drive into the park. But now it's bus tours only. My sis and dbil have never been so it will be fun for us all.

I hope to get into my sewing room and finish pulling fabrics for my Christmas quilts. And I need to cut some more squares for my hexies soon, too. Still cursing Judi for resurrecting my interest in that long-set-aside project. I should be able to wrap it up in just another 3 or 4 years. And I was talking to Chickie yesterday and she brought up crochet and got me thinking about going back to that! I just don't need more hand projects but they are hard for me to resist! I am my mother's daughter. BTW, Chickie is doing OK but still has crazy dizzy days when she can barely walk without falling flat on her face (which she has done many times). She is able to sew which is good because she is soon expecting her 9th great grandbaby in 4 years. She makes them all birth, first Christmas, and first birthday quilts. She quilts them all on her machine and has gotten quite good at quilting fun designs. She also sews small items for the 9 or 10 women in her family for Christmas. Pot holders, table toppers, placemats, etc. She always has projects going on which is good therapy for her.

I'm off now to start my day. I think I can finish a few chores before my morning walk with neighbor. Then it's play time!

Happy sewing to everyone!
mary z
>^+^<

mepeace2

Re: TUESDAY, March 12th

Post by mepeace2 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:29 am

Good morning Mary and all that follow
Weather here still hip hopping like a bunny. Today and tomorrow will be warm then next weekend cooler. Yesterday I cleaned up the veggie gardens well at least part of them. I cleaned the big garden and one of the raised beds. I am getting ready to plant potatoes and lettuce. And maybe onions.
I will be going to the guild meeting today. I am not participating in most of there projects. I have several projects I need to work on. Namely my owl quilt. I am still trying to get this house cleaned up. And the yard is a mess from the winds the other night. One step at a time.
The farm has still not been sold. Hopefully here from buyer next week. I really think I could use the money to fix things around here and hire someone to get rid of downed trees. I also need new carpeting in three rooms. And hire someone to paint the living room.
Oh Jim is better not great but better. He has lost 18 pounds and only weighs 127. He got his new teeth yesterday. So hopefully he will gain it back. Still can not stand on his own.
My stomach issues have gotten much better, Kiwi and red cherries and yogurt seems to have done the trick.
Well thats all the news from here.
Maryz Your going to Alaska How exciting.
I need another cup of Java.
Katy
O update on Barney still onery. LOL

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:43 am

Good Morning where is everyone.? I was up at 6 this morning got laundry started the bed made and a few blocks sewn...I had to wait for making phone calls to make several appointments,,,Got all done but one...they will call me back with approval for my Prolia injection....twice a year but it has to be approved by the insurance company. ( it costs $1500 for each injection) if I went to the dr office for it I would have to pay for it but if i go to the hospital cancer center they pay in full. so I go there. (who knew ) that is due in april.
I will head out to the grocery store for food and stop to pick up Kens prescriptions and stop at the bank...I might get back into sewing room later...
I had a nice visit with the gal who didnt know how to make HSTs,,,once we looked at her pattern and I showed her how to read it,,,she was fine...I made a sample HST for her to see how it is done and I know she will be fine... She makes quilts without a pattern and has made many but this pattern thing was totally new to her,,,She is one of those people who has a lot of hobbies...she also does stained glass and many other crafts,,,
Her and I and a few others made masks during the pandemic and we had lunch a couple of times with the group..but this was our first one on one...
Well I am off to the errand run,,,,have a wonderful day. Chrissy1 is doing well had her second cateract surgwry yesterday and her hubby is still in rehab. he is doing ok...I also ask prayers for my daughter inlaw as she will go to Texas for a new MS treaatmnt this week...We pray so hard for her,,,she is a wonderful person and struggles so much,,,We are asking God to give her some relief...Thank you all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:11 am

Good morning. What an awful couple of sleepless nights.

I've tried everything to get Jerry to keep his oxygen in his nose. Last night I used medical tape to tape it to his cheeks. He keeps pulling it out and trying to put it back in with no luck. I know it's the meds he's taking that make him do these things. Last night he somehow was able to turn off his oxygen concentrator. To do this he had to reach over the head of the raised hospital bed. He was also able to pull the canella out of his nose, bite one of the prong things off and bite a hole in the tube. At 3am I heard him stirring and the dog even came into my bedroom. I lost my temper. I now see why there are long term care facilities. I will be calling Hospice this morning. I am so not my best self today and am frustrated and irritated and mad at myself for even thinking that way.

Maryq, I'm glad you bought yourself the Christmas quilt kit. I hope you have fun putting it together. How was dinner?

Sharon, if you can hold off a day I will have my lotto blocks done today and you can mail my package with yours? How is our Sammy doing?

Maryz, I should get my hexi's out. Naaa, I think I will wait. Alaska will be a fun trip. Will you drive or fly. Not sure flying will be anywhere in my near future, airplanes are constantly having issues according to the news. I think it was the July lotto that I won last year. I can either make one more block for a total of 20 or skip it and have a total of 15 with wider borders. It was all Batiks but I don't remember the name of the pattern. The temps here will start climbing. We should see near 80* next week, it was nice to have my flannel sheets off and an extra quilt on.

Katy, hope your farm sells so that you can do the upgrades needed on your house. Glad your somach is better.

Judi, I so hope the treatment in Texas is just what DIL needs. My goodness it would be wonderful if it worked for her. I have just said a prayer and will add her to my list. Glad you are able to get your injections at the cancer center. Nice of you to show your friend about HST's. I've seen patterns, are we really supposed to read those things? I usually try a block from the pictures on the pattern, mess it up, then read the directions.

Well guess the rest of you are still snoozing. I'm going to get my lotto blocks done today and mail them tomorrow while the gal is here to give Jerry his bath. Also on my to do list is that stinking kitchen floor, or not.

You all have a fantastic day.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:20 am

Good morning everyone.

MaryZ, I found that I had a new mask with elbow attached. Garry is now using it. The hose, with elbow, is in the trash bag on top. Trash bag is outside in the dumpster. I will retrieve it when we get back up there. As for the cabin, it will be done between 15th and 28th. I'm hoping it can be set before April 1st.

Yesterday we had lunch with friends and said goodbye to him. She comes to this park on Wednesday and beads with us. After they left, I picked up our mail and hit the grocery store.

I have to setup a new account with Sunrise Beach for water bill. They changed billing companies and only gave a 3 day window to get it done. I have a couple other time sensitive items to do. Hopefully I can sew this afternoon.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:21 am

Good Morning Girls

I'm HERE!! Had to shower first... really needed it! :lol: :lol:

Maryz.... Yes I got a few pillow cases done, but had to unsew a few... you're supposed to sew wrong sides together first to make a french seam, I sewed right side together... so today I will get them back together. Good to hear from Chickie... 9 GREAT grandchildren!!! That's awesome. If you need a few crochet hooks... let me know.. I have several!!

Katy... Good news that Jim is doing better... I bet he feels better just having his teeth back and being able to chew real food! Hope everything works out well for selling off the farm, will be nice to have a couple extra $$ in your pocket. There's a ton of little things I'd love to do at my house. My sis just remodeled her 1958 kitchen and it's so beautiful... I'd love to do mine too!

Judi... My BFF gets injections at the hospital too, fully covered, if she took the pill form of her med it would cost her $3500.00 (yes thirty five HUNDRED) per month!! Kind of fun to meet folks who do other stuff isn't it. I can knit and crochet, but that's the extent of my crafting ability!!

Chriss.... Oh honey, I am so sorry to hear that you are having rough nights! and I hope that Hospice can give you some ideas. No harm in letting the floor go for a few more days! If your feet starting sticking to it.. then maybe... in the meantime... screw it!

Now that I've had my coffee I think I better get in gear.. It was bee-u-tiful here yesterday! I even washed a couple windows. The kitchen window was driving me nuts, and I THINK I have found the right stuff to use that doesn't leave streaks---I hate streaks! Home Depot had a good deal on that aerosol Window cleaner and so far it looks pretty good! BUT today I will spend in the sewing room, finishing the pillow cases and other little projects for DB's friend in South Dakota!

Wishing you all a GREAT Tuesday!!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:57 am

Good morning!

It's raining at the moment, but will end shortly. Just a small rain shower. More snow up in the mountains.

I saw outside that my tulips, daffodils and irises have poked up above ground. I was beginning to wonder if they ever would this year.

Daniel was by last night with the deck plans all drawn, for Michael's approval. They passed, of course! So he's onto the cost estimate. He's already found two colors for the deck boards and I just need to see them in person for the final choice. I told the boys that anything they drew would be fine, but color is mine alone

I'm not a clock collector, per se, but do like to know what time it is. I hate being late! I'm the granddaughter of a railroad man and married a railroad engineer! Of course I need to be on time! LOL!

Yes, we have been counseled to have food on hand for our families needs during times of hardship and whatevers. I can testify that counsel works! We have needed our food storage before in the past and it really showed how it was needed during the pandemic. The pandemic showed us just how fragile the supply chain is. We saw that before living in California, especially if the trucks delivering the goods to the grocery stores went out on strike . The shelves empty fast! I have learned many things needed to keep my storage up and running, being able to rotate and use it. I have learned from trial and error what I had too much of and what I was short or just plain missing! Like many years ago, yeast to are bread! Besides having food on hand, you need the skills to use and cook it! Simple things like baking bread! Then all the other needed things, soap, cleaning, etc. Even in the plan is what you can cook on/ with if ttere was no power we're so used to. Now don't get discouraged or overwhelmed, start small, may be ny enough for 2 weeks and then keep adding. Little by little and you can achieve a supply that you can live on for 90 days. Buy a extra can or tp when you shop. I only put in what we eat. Remember spices! The blessings of following this counsel was not only not being hungry, but the peace that came as well. That peace was wonderful. Try it, you too will see the blessings. A side note - not 9nly did we have food, I had fabric that I was able to quickly use and make masks. Especially for Aaron and the UHP troopers he worked with. They were on the front line, helping the public, putting them at more risk to catch covid. I made hundreds of masks for them and they were so grateful. So I even have fabric storage! Thread and elastic too! :)

Today is a Chriss Me day. Sewing in the Batt Cave. House is warm, so the Batt Cave will be too.

Enjoy the day!

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:17 am

Maryz, all this talk about hexies makes me feel guilty for not working on mine. It's been progress for about 12 years. lol For pillow cases there is a video on how to sew and turn the cuff part then sew the French seams. It's really easy. I think it's on All People Quilt website.

Jana, I always have staples in my house. I figure we could survive for at least 3 months on what I have in the house. Dried beans are an excellent thing to have on hand. I just keep them rotated.

Maryq, speaking of windows, I need to do a few. The big sliding glass doors in the front room have doggie nose art all over them. I think that will be the order of the day. I used a water base solution and squeegee.
No streaks ever. I've used the spray in a can, it tends to leave a film on the windows that shows up about a week later. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you.

Chriss, I hope you get some help from Hospice. They stayed at our house 24/7 when my mom was on hospice. There were only hours we didn't have anyone there. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's a normal reaction.

I was going to do a quick post, but I keep getting interrupted. So now I've been here a half hour and need to get moving.

Have a wonderful day.

Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:58 pm

Whew! Stars are all assembled - Finally! And the borders are made and pinned on the two sides at the moment. Need to cut one more set of strips for all of the borders. That will be tomorrow's project. Sarah can't help me load it on the LA until Friday - she works the other days.

Now I am heading upstairs to discuss finances with Michael. When he puts something in the savings realm of our finances, it nevers ever sees the light of day again! He won't take it out, so I need to use my negotiating skills to keep out as much as I can for the projects we want to do.

See ya tomorrow!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:22 pm

The hospice nurse was here today and Jerry is now taking more meds. So far, after a couple of doses of the new med, he hasn't removed his oxygen. He is still a bit confused, but I am still able to reason with him. He told me this morning that he was going to die on April first so he could come back and say April Fools.

But tonight at dinner he wanted me to pray with him and he asked God to take him tonight while he slept. I am so so thankful that he and I have been able to discuss death throughout this. We've had a lot of heartfelt talks. I think that it's been very helpful for both of us.

I will, if I don't get a good night's sleep tonight, ask a friend to come over so I can get some rest.

Thank you for your prayers and your kindness it's been very much appreciated.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”