Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

FRIDAY, March 8th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

FRIDAY, March 8th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:42 am

Good morning,

It's going to be a great day here - Temps are warming up. After a wet weekend, we should be hitting 60*! I can dig it!

CHRISS - spend as much time with Jerry as you can. Everything else can wait. You won't have any regrets.

SHARONA - I hope your BIL's surgery fixes his problems. Good to hear your sis is doing well after her surgery. And I hope you get into that sewing shed soon!

LORI - after my mom died we purged a lot of her stuff and the excess houshold stuff. Turned out to be a big mistake. Daddy wouldn't speak up, but all that stuff was a comfort to him and we took it away. I've felt guilty ever since. Just sayin'. . . maybe it's OK for now to leave your dad's house just as it is.

JANA - sounds like almost everyone in your family is going someplace. It must be spring break time! When is the nephew coming? Will anyone be home for him to visit??

MARY Q - I love being up before the sun. I like to hear the sleepy birds wake up and seeing daylight happen. A joyful start to my day. I love 30's fabric and I'd never say no to any - but I really have quite a lot of my own. You will have fun with that Millie's Dresses pattern. Did you start that wedding quilt or are you just still in the talking stage? Did you set your Alaskan quilt aside?

VAL - I know your DH is wishin' to be fishin' so I hope he can go and at least hang out with the fish. Is it lake, stream, or salt water fishing? I mailed my lotto blocks to you yesterday.

JUDI - I've made a few quilts where I didn't have enough border fabric. So I used what I had and added accents like blocks to the corners or some flying geese or diamonds or whatever floats your boat in the center of the borders. I probably have about 60 or more quilts in the house that I rotate all the time. In my quilting career of about 35 years I figure I've made 500+ quilts but have given most of them away to family, friends, cancer patients, childrens hospital, cops, nursing homes, women's shelter, etc. I have a couple quilts I made, too, before I knew about rotary cutters and rulers. I like to use the term "rustic" for them which has a more favorable conotation than "oh, what a mess!"

LOIS - how goes the pineapples? Will you be loving this pattern?

Yesterday was massage appt, grocery shopping, and grocery putting away. Bill has Fab Farm halfway quilted. He just might finish it today. If not, then tomorrow. Then binding, label, and pictures and it will be ready to go into the mail with a few other treasures for our little miss's first birthday. We face-timed with her yesterday. She tries to figure out why we're in that little phone and tries to kiss it. We're meeting friends at a Mexican restaurant for lupper about 3pm, so no cooking tonite! In the meantime, though, I'll finally be doing some housecleaning that I've been talking about but keep putting off, plus a few spins around the floor doing the Maytag Mambo.

Hoping everyone has some wonderful in their day today!
mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: FRIDAY, March 8th

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:10 am

Good morning,,It is cloudy and dull out there but into the 50s today. I have been sorting quilts...I have a few for the chemo center. go there for my prolia injection twice a year...They give them to chemo patients and the patients take them with them...some bring them back each trealment...all are lap quilts...I have about 20 to give..I also purged out a few old pieces that are going to the thrift shop. they arent very good but some quilter will find them and make them into pillows or jackets. I dont have the time or the inclination to deal with them..
The rst of the bed sized will get stored away for the next chapter of the great purge. I did have some stored for years in space bags,,,I opened them and refolded them they are just fine...a little more wrinkled, but one I washed and it looks fine...wrinkles ll came out...
Today after I make a trip to the thrift store ( Im not going in the shop just donating) I need to stop at the grocery then decide whats for supper...
I have the next Christmas quilt all cut out when I get into the sewing room again I will start sewing it...right noe Im in purge and sort mode...Photos are a work in progress also...I may do more of that this weekend as we are expecting more rain and that means no more yard work yet, I think we are going to put in a few tomato plants and cucmbers maybe a green pepper too...My son came over and offered to till up and amend the tiny strip next to the fence that gets full sun..if he does that I might have a kitchen garden,,,the strip is about 2 and a half feet wide and 20 ft long. an odd garden but we have grown there before and it does work...
Well I need coffee and get my running done...Hope you all have a great day,,,Prayers and good thoughts to all...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:22 am

Good morning!

Did make some progress yesterday on my mystery quilt. Had hoped to get the homework all done but will need to find another day for that. Leaving tomorrow morning to go see my DD and all the little people. I was going to take my machine with me but I think I will skip that. I will bring my charting and the last (I hope the last anyway) form to fill out for Dad. I am just going for my 2 nights off and then will be back. I will take week off that DH goes fishing. I will tag along but not fish. We don't go that far so if I wanted to go do a thing or two at the quilt shop I could still do that.

DH has not had his MRI yet, they said it could take up to 2 weeks to schedule. I am not sure why it is slow to get the appointment. If no call in 2 weeks, he has a number to call.

Lori I have been thinking I need to get rid of some stash too. I had hoped that DD and DGD would use some but not sure that is going to happen.

Chriss it is okay if things don't get done. They don't get done here either. All in due time as they say. Glad to hear the nurse actually stays longer than a few minutes. Glad that Jerry is able to talk and express his wishes. Not eating much ham myself anymore. I used to like to make navy beans and ham with the left overs but probably not a good plan anymore.

Maryq glad to hear you were able to get those last few tidbits from KC's. I hope the best for her in her new life.

Maryz we go to what is referred to as "The Delta". It is a group of rivers (can't name them all anymore). 1200 miles of waterways. They fish for Stripper and Sturgeon. It is in Rio Vista which is about a 45 min drive from me. His brothers all join us there. Well there are only 2 brother now. We stay at LIght House Marina. We rent a cabin, DS stays in our RV, his oldest brother has a travel trailer as does my DD. HIs second brother will probably stay in the RV with DS.

I guess I don't collect quilts like some of you. I do have some here, maybe more than I think but many I give away as I make them.

Well I am off to get the coffee, and look at my charting for the day.

Happy sewing to you all
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:27 am

JUDI - you are making good use of all your beautiful quilts! Someone will be treasuring them for sure. Years ago I made a special quilt for our friend, Lois, to take with her for her weekly chemo treatments. I even made a matching tote bag to carry it in. She loved the quilt but refused to take it with her saying it was too good. lol!

VAL - I hope the snow isn't an issue by the time you are off to NV. Are you flying or driving? And I'm so glad you are going on the fishing trip. You can use a week off for sure! And you can keep an eye on your hubby. We have camped at a county park several times in that area. Can't remember the name of it though. I guess I don't understand why you need to get rid of your stash. I also have more than I'll ever be able to sew but as long as there's room for it it's fine. I have no idea of what projects I'll be doing in the years to come or what fabrics I'll need and I have practically an entire LQS to shop from! Right at the end of my hall!

Wasn't someone here saying they needed to go buy some Kona white? Well, today QIAD has it on sale, though it's in 10 and 15 yd bolts. Still, we use a lot of white . . .

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:39 am

Hard rain came thru about 5:30 and set off the security camera on the end of the house. Looks like clouds are breaking up. I hope it drys up in the 81* temp early this afternoon, I need to mow.

Chriss, Try to spend time with Jerry but I also know that you need breaks from all the care giving. Hugs to you both!

Valerie, Enjoy your trip to visit DD and grands. Glad you are taking time off to not fish but be there. So your DS has siblings, I take they are half brothers?

The storm door is in, now Minnie can see out the front and keep watch. I pulled a bunch of big weeds and on most I got the roots. I hope it will narrow down the patch and be easier to mow. I also got some of the rocks moved that had been in the walkway. I'm putting them by the garage for now. Glad I have the riding lawn mow and little wagon to move them.

Today I have a load in the dryer that I washed last night and another load in washer. Clothes to fold and hang later. Need to make the guest bed. I will pull together my paperwork and probably just put in a bag to sort at the coast. Start gathering up what needs to go with us. Hopefully it will dry by noon and I can get out and mow. Yesterday I did suggest that Garry could mow the little back yard with the small mower. He sat out back while handyman was installing the storm door. I bought the wrong handle and had to run to Lowe's, which takes an hour round trip. So handyman came back about 6 to finish. After he left, Garry ups and says, "Oh I was gonna mow the yard, I'll go do that." I said forget it, it was almost dark!! A neighbor guy stopped by just before he said that and I heard him tell Frank, "After my stroke I'm as useful as a jar of warm piss." I boiled a little, but didn't say a word. There is so much he could do, if he just would!!!! Sorry to vent.

Prayers for all who need them.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:50 am

Good morning!

The sun was noisy, especially as he popped over the mountains waking me up this morning. Light can be noisy!

Got the financial stuff somewhat finished. I have some homework, research to do about Social Security. We are eligible, but haven't applied, due to our other pension. So I'll look into all the ramifications. More cotton funds would be fun!

Called my Daniel for some info on my flooring. Questions, so he stopped by and answered all of the logistical questions for Michael. So it appears being patient on the floor I want is working. Daniel is my big help and ace in the hole! We have a order of operation in how the work will be done. There's a big bug a boo when they built my house concerning the fireplace chimney. They didn't compensate for extra weight they added to a cantilever section. Its now causing a problem and Daniel knows how to solve it. It's a matter of adding a footing and a screw jack under my deck. So he and Stu will dig said hole for footing and do that. So first the deck will be made bigger, and then later this summer or fall, the new flooring will be put in. Aaron will help too. My deck is off the ground by about 4 feet, so the boys have a bit of room to dig the hole. The hole will be about 3x3,x3 then filled with concrete for the base of the stuff needed.

So after some research, I'll be in the Batt Cave sewing. It's just plain cold outside, 21! Good day to stay in! It's very deceptive out there with all the sunshine!

Val - my boys camped in Rio Vista, at Sandy Beach so many times, I can't count! That was the favorite scout cwmpout for overnight trips. There , Brannon Island and the top of Mt Diablo. It was sad to learn that the ferry is no longer running too.

Well, the heat is now running, so I have no more excuses to stay under a warm, toasty quilt,

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:12 am

Good Morning Girls

Happy Friday... Sunny but still kind of cold here. only 22* and we're only going to get up to 39* Maybe I shouldn't have put my heavy winter coat away just yet!

Maryz... OH how I am looking forward to days in the 60's-70's again! It was so nice the other day I brought out my chairs for the front patio! Yes, I put the Alaskan quilt aside, and all my other ideas! Right now I'm dealing with the mess I brought back from KC's but hope to clear that out today. I'm sorting through stuff into 2 piles: garage sale and donation! As soon as I can find the top of my cutting table again, I think I better get busy on the Wedding quilt--I want to give myself plenty of time, as if I mess up the first one, I'll have to start over! The deal on Kona is tempting, but I dare not, I don't think I can fit one more yard of fabric is this house!

Judi.... I just know that Cancer center is going to love your quilts! One year I think I gave about 20 to the center at the U of M, but when I had more, I could never reach the gal that I had worked with, so I took them up to a local Asst'd living/memory care unit. I was contemplating that too until my brother mentioned the group he works with in South Dakota. Lap size I can usually quilt myself, so I try to keep them all about that size, that way I don't have to rely on Viv to quilt for me, she has so much of her own projects to do. Hey if you have help to make a garden, Go for it! Flowers or Veggies?

Valerie... OH fun.. a couple nights away! But you are bringing work with you? that doesn't sound like fun. Do you guys keep what you catch? Most of the fishing my boys do around here is CPR, (catch, photo, release) but when they fish on the Mississippi River at Viv's they keep. Don't tell Maryz, but the fish are delicious the way Tom fixes them! I hope the best for KC too. I had really tried to talk her into moving because she would have her brother there to take care of her, and she needs someone. She kind of burned her bridges with her kids.

Chriss.... You know, after all is said and done, perhaps a little visit to Texas might be just what you need.... or a visit to Minnesota, or a Visit to Michigan or a visit to Seattle--you get the idea. And if you have days when nothing gets done.... well that just ok. You are where you need to be at any given moment. Katie mostly makes things like bowl cozies and little tote bags and stuff that she sells at consignment shops, so the 30's prints are at my house. Yesterday we found some really nice big pieces and some of those she will give me for quilt backs!

Lori...When I look at the fabric I have accumulated in my garage and remember how old I am,... I think "I gotta get rid of some of this" and then I go to sort it out and I remember when/where I got it (I have fabric I bought at QIAD back in 2007) and I get attached to it. Then I think, I better sew really fast and get this used up or my kids will be left with trying to figure out what to do with it all. For Shawn & Kris... it's a double mess as Viv has probably even MORE fabric in her stash than I do!

Jana... Hope you get lots of good info about getting your Soc Sec...I know it's different if Michael worked for the RR. DDIL Kris, worked for CP but I don't know if she did long enough to qualify for their benefits. Her mental health was more important than sticking around for get those benefits. She had an totally awful boss. But what the heck... a few more $$$ couldn't hurt the fabric budget right!

Lyn.... Never heard that expression!!! Do you sometimes want to light a firecracker under Garry? Do you ever write him a Honey-Do list? I'm guessing like a lot of men, that wouldn't do much good!

Still in jammies here and if I'm going to get anything done I better get going. I have most of the stuff from KC's out of my car and sorted. Only one big box of cookie jars still out there, but I think I will leave those for a while. They will go in the garage sale but need to be washed up first, so will wait until June to do that. Mostly what I pulled out yesterday was glass wear and knick nacks... they are cleaned up now and I just need to repack them. I'm itching to sew!!!

Wishing you all A Fabulous Friday

PS.... I was googling around, because this came up on my internet feed this morning... Isn't this just darling!!

https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/p161835/h ... t=Shopping

womster

Post by womster » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:21 am

Good morning!

Maryz – oh how I love first birthdays. She is so cute to try to kiss you through the phone. I can’t wait to see pictures of her quilt. How is your massage therapist doing? Housecleaning – yuck. The bane of my existence. I need to get my house clean before I hire the housecleaner. ;) Lupper – what a great name! Thanks for the info on the Kona white – I think I shall place an order.

Judi – how wonderful that you will be able to give them 20 quilts. I love it that you will have a kitchen garden. You’ve inspired me to start purging again.

Valerie – I sure hope your DH gets to go fishing. Have a wonderful visit with your DD and the littles. Happy charting.

Lyn – I’m sure Minnie is very appreciative of her viewing portal. Sorry that Garry isn’t feeling up to doing even little things. I feel your pain about the trip to Lowe’s – it’s about that far for us as well. I hope you’re able to mow today.

Jana – I agree that light can be noisy. Excellent job on waiting for the floor.
The furnace guy finally figured out what was wrong!!! I am thrilled to pieces. When they had to tear apart and rebuild the furnace due to the factory leaving paper in there, they reassembled it and didn’t get the venting hose attached. It sure looked like it was – he showed me why it had them fooled. He didn’t charge us either so double-win. Sadly, though, he told me that his nephew (the grandson of the guy who did the original install) committed suicide a couple of weeks ago, just as his dad had done years before. So very sad.

Maryq - oh I LOVE that Christmas quilt! I know what you mean about getting attached to the fabric.

We got the bid for the deck and it’s much less than we feared so another huge YAY! They will start Monday. I’m taking some meals over to my sister tomorrow and need to run to Walmart to get a few things. Still no sewing. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:17 am

MaryQ, Garry has only used that saying one other time, shortly after his stroke 3 years ago in April.

Chriss, MaryQ reminded me....I wanted to tell you that you BIL in Sun City is only about 70 miles from my house. You are always welcome to come stay here and just visit him, if you want. Obviously this invite is for when I'm in Texas. :D

I have to make another trip to Lowe's now. Handyman left a part of handle stuff I returned out of the package. I also need shims cause there's a bit of a gap in the middle which now shows sunlight coming in. Didn't see it at dusk last night.
Lyn

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:05 am

Good morning. It's been a busy time here.

I'm surprised Jerry made it through the night. But he is, and while not able to do for himself much, he's still here.

My goal today is to take a shower. Funny, so many things that I felt needed doing just aren't on my list anymore. Besides Jerry my goal is to take a shower and eat breakfast.

Maryz, next time you go see Amara she will wonder how you got out of the phone and into her house. I would love Mexican food, sadly I can't get away. There was a place in Mariposa that made a chili relleno burrito. Chili relleno, rice and beans in a tortilla, it was always my go to.

Lori, the reason I haven't done the big purge here is that sometimes it seems that Jerry will bounce back and be needing things like his pie plates or cookie making supplies. I know this isn't reality but there are times I think it could happen.

Judi, I think that strip will make a wonderful kitchen garden. What a sweetie your son is to do the tilling.

Valerie, the Delta sounds like a nice place. I know where it is but have never been there. Fun to have a sort of family reunion. I also seem to give away quilts, mostly to Marilyn. Jerry's MRI's and other scans took time to schedule too. about two days after the doctor submitted his orders I would call the MRI place to schedule. I thought Jerry was a wierdo when he first made white beans with ham. He would make that soup, fried potatoes and corn bread. Most heavenly carb filled meal that I always had a second helping of. Safe travels to go see the kids, looks like the weather will be nice for your trip.

Lyn, it's like we are twins. I got Jerry in his chair and stripped his bed. The bed has been remade and I have a load to fold in the dryer. Today must be get that laundry done day. I also don't understand why our men don't do more when they can. It's like they are giving up. Why do it when you can get someone else to do it. And I sit here thinking how thankful I am that I can do all I can do. Jerry also didn't do all he could long before we knew he was ill. But last night he asked me if I had done the dishes yet, when I said no, he said he would go do them. Vent away girlfriend, it is quite frustrating. I appreciate the offer to come stay with you if I go see BIL. Seeing you would be the only reason I would go there. I will likely just stay home. My BIL is a pompous bragger and uses his bragging to make himself feel superior. He likes to say how much money he has and how many degrees he has and how perfect his children and grandchildren are. Humility doesn't exist with him. But he is also helpful and kind. The former far outweighs the latter.

Jana, send Daniel over here when he needs a break, I have floors that could use some help. My dad has a linoleum that looks like wood flooring. I would love that in my whole house. But then I look around and realize it's not likely going to happen.

Maryq, I'm still in my jammies too. The hometown kit is really cute and not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. You might be right, when things get resolved here a small trip all about me might be nice. I would visit with one of you girls long before I would stay with my BIL. A dream would be to have a travel trailer and just make the QIAD loop, spending a day or two with each of you and then back home, wonder how many days that would take? I think it's so cool that you and Katy share fabric. She's a good playmate.

Sharon, sounds like things are looking up. Easy deck fix, easy furnace fix, it's looking good to be you.

Gosh, I started this post a long time ago, still no shower or breakfast. But Jerry has had lots of attention. He is now in his bed with clean sheets fidgeting, and not making a lot of sense at times. He also told me that he's not going to die today, so there's that.

I just got a call that my machine is done being repaired but no way to go get it. I told them it might be a month before I could get there. They told me they would hold on to it. I am grateful.

Ok, time for a shower, you all have a great day.
Chriss

You girls have a marvelous day
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”