Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday March 3,2024

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Sunday March 3,2024

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:05 am

Good morning,

Yesterday was an icky day rain all day so I stripped my bed and did the sheets and watched TV.
I was looking through stuff and came across a package of pineapple paper piecing block I don't even remember buying since I don't like paper piecing but love the pineapple block I ordered the creative grid ruler to make it also bought a book they will both be here tomorrow I love Amazon.

Next will be a scavenger hunt for fabric

Today I think I will try to straighten up my sewing room.

Well thats all the news from here I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Re: Sunday March 3,2024

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:21 am

Good morning,

LOIS - I didn't like paper piecing either until I was kind of forced to do it for my Lord of the Rings quilt. PP was the only pattern I could find. Now I love it even though I don't do a lot of it. But I've done pineapple blocks before and didn't paper piece them or use a special ruler. I probably should have. Since you mentioned it, I watched the MSQC tutorial on the pineapple block using the Creative Grid ruler. It does look purrfect! What colors/fabrics do you plan to use?

FLO - we really liked the play last night (Jersey Boys). We, of course, all Googled Frankie Valli. He will be 90 years old in May. I loved the Four Seasons music when I was in high school. It must be nice to be able to pull your own spaghetti sauce made from your own tomatoes right off the pantry shelf. Yum!

KATY - that'll be the day when you don't get anything done! lol! Glad you're finding something to help your tummy. Sorry Jim isn't doing well. Before I went to TGH's NICU, I worked in a nursing home for two years. Residents would go in and out of others' rooms and take things and one of the most common things taken was teeth. I hope those teeth show up someplace soon. It's upsetting that safety precautions don't seem to be in place. Three falls is three too many. You can report this to the state, you know. Laws against restraints of any kind were passed some years back and this even included bed rails unless they are requested by resident or family.

JUDI - I keep saying, too, that I'm going to purge my Christmas stuff - but I'm never here at Christmas time anymore, and I sure don't want to haul it all out in the summer. So it still sits, taking up space. But maybe this summer . . . . But some of it is sooo pretty! Have you got your Christmas fabrics out all over your sewing room yet? I'm getting there - have pulled some fabrics, but I don't want to get too deep into another project yet until we finish quilting Fab Farm and the backing fabric is on its way. Hopefully tomorrow it will be here. Bill will quilt this one which means it will take days to get it done. He is slow. I am sorry to hear Chrissy's DH is back in the hospital. Do they still live on their own in a private home or do they live in assisted living?

JANA - you are smart to paint before any new flooring goes down. Are we talking the entire upstairs or just the main living areas? There must be some way to compromise on the flooring. When we did ours 10 yrs ago I wanted carpet, Bill wanted hardwood. We went shopping. Once he saw the cost of the hardwood (twice the cost of carpet!) he decided he liked carpet just fine.

MARY Q - I can't believe Kaya is 21! It would be nice to have her come to MN to go to school. But how far from you is the school? Do you know what she wants to study? Oh gosh - all that fabric and now you have a yarn windfall to store, too! You are so blessed! So, I have always wondered - how big is your sun room? It's separate from your living room? I bet it's full of natural light. Could you expand your sewing into the sunroom? But keep your fabric stores in the sewing room (to avoid fabric fading). Just thinking outside of the box. If the sunroom has no door and you want to hide the sewing, hang a bead curtain or set up a folding screen. I'm full of good ideas - for other people!

CHRISS - how are things today? I'm sure each day is different and full of lots of unplanned little surprises. Were you able to sew at all? I need to clean bathrooms, too. But I've been focused on getting these four quilts finished so I can mail them all to Autumn in the same box. Just Amara's is left and her birthday is only a few weeks away. It's easy to lose teeth in a hospital or LTC setting. Patients take them out, they get lost in bedding and go off to the laundry, put in pockets, taken by other residents, placed in drawers, fall into open trash cans. Some folks use a sharpie to write their names on their teeth.

SHARONA - I feel for your poor BIL. I would be nervous, too. I hope the next surgery fixes things for him. Sorry the iron is giving you fits. You might consider changing the time you take it (bedtime vs morning), or taking with food, or perhaps adjusting or dividing the dose. I believe it takes a while for your body to adjust to taking it at all.

LORI - wouldn't it be funny if your FIL and Chriss's Grandpa worked together? If either of you were really curious, the company would probably have records of the years they both worked there. Buttermilk Basin has some cute patterns.

The play last night was amazing. I couldn't believe the talent of the actors! And the music was, of course, awesome! Some of it was what we were dancing to down in Texas with Amara. (that little girl LOVES music!). And it was good to see our local Supper Club pals again. I'm not sure what today holds for us. I rearranged how I store a few things in my sewing room so I have a little fall out from that to clean up, plus I pulled some Christmas fabrics for my Scaredy Cat Christmas Quilt I plan to start soon. But someone mentioned cleaning bathrooms. I might do that. Or not. It doesn't sound like much fun. Or we could go visit Susie in rehab. Maybe take her a treat. And stop in the toy aisle at Target and see what fun things we might find for someone's first birthday. (besides a quilt, I mean.) :D

Have a terrific Sunday!

mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:44 am

Mary your Scaredy cats quilt looks nice with the Christmas colors.
I dont know what colors for my quilt just black will be the main color.

Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:48 am

Morning
Maryq, I'm not related to Frankie Valli, he was a neighborhood kid with my mom.
Yesterday was fun. Leftover spaghetti for supper tonight.
Off to mass.
Flo

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:08 am

Good morning all
Its warmer here but very windy. I want to work in front garden before all my daffodils bloom. But I dont know if thats going to happen today. Stormy also needs a wash job. That will probably happen first.
Mary Z They lost Jims upper plate at the Springfield Hospitol. They have no idea what happened. Suprise
I am not cleaning house today. However I am washing rugs. I decided not to spend the money needed to wash in town. So I have been washing and drying them two at a time at home. Almost there. However the big rug will have to go to town. But no cleaning walls etc. LOl Glad you had a good time at the play. I have always enjoyed plays. Your pj cat quilt is adorable.
Lois I love to paper piece But have not done it for a while. I am still working on my sewing room. So much junk got piled in there. But it will be gone in next two weeks.
Flo left overs around here works for me. LOl
Well I am off for another cup of coffee.
Y'all have a great sewing day
Katy

Ps Have any of you done a collage quilt or wall hanging?

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:55 am

Good morning It is cloudy but in the 50s here so spring like. we will be 69 tomorrow...I have a choice tomorrow start some yard clean up....or take a drive to a new to me quilt shop////Since the 2 closest to me have closed I havent been able to pet fabric...And you know you always find SOMETHING you cannot live with out...since we didnt visit any shops in Florida I think I am over due. This shop is 16 miles from my house has been opened a while and I just found out about it...that is actually closer than the ones that closed...it is in a different direction...I think I have talked my self into a quilt shop drive...I usually go by myself so that is what I will do...If I ask anyone to go with me it means "well I cant leave till ......" or "I have to be home by...." so its just me...
Maryz I have Christmas fabric all over the sewing room...some I will not use ever (Want it?) and some is old left overs from other projects...some it WWIT! (what was i thinking) Having white backrounds it is nice you can use a lot of these fabrics...
Katy, one of the most lost items is teeth. for all of the reasons mentioned...They used to give you a little plastic box fr teeth but I dont think they do that anymore...Will insurance pay for replacements? I have a down comforter that need to go to the laundramat...The closest one to me is about 10 miles...I keep putting it off.....
Lois I have never tried a pineapple block... I like paper piecing but like Mary i dont do a lot of it.. cannot wait to see yours...will it be a gift or for you..?
Flo we are having left overs tonight too...I made a chicken pot pie yesterday and we will have that for supper...geen salad on the side..
Well I have a load of laundry singing to be put in the dryer...Hope your day is blessed and fun,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:30 am

Good morning Everybody!

Happy Sunday! Theoretically it's a day of rest right? But since the weather is going to be beautiful (until some late afternoon rain) I'm going to be outside!! Well, just in the garage!

Lois... Not a fan of paper piecing here either, tho I admit I haven't done it... it just sounds like a pain to rip all that paper off. On the other hand, I didn't think I'd like applique either and now I LOVE it!! Don't you just LOVE Amazon... I have a few items in my cart, just waiting for the right moment to hit the SEND button!!

Maryz... At the play, did people get up and dance in the aisles? That sure would be tempting with some of that fun music! Kaya's other Grandmother lives in Coon Rapids , about 20 miles . I think Kaya wants to go to school to do child care, at least I think that's what Jen told me, not college, but maybe tech school or something. Right now, the sun room sort of serves as my office, for computer, printer, my Cricut machine, file drawers etc. I do keep my Auntie's 1951 Singer machine out here, it does work so in a pinch I could set it up!

Katy.. .I suppose with the weather so nice you're itching to get out in the garden. Every time some one mentions daffodils or tulips I think maybe I should plant some bulbs.. tho I'm not sure what the townhouse rules are--other than we can't have a big garden. I've never done a collage quilt, but have made a couple small wall hanging things... mostly "skinnies" and I hang them on my front door. The goal was to make one for every season, but so far I've only done a July 4th themed one!

Judi... I'll go with you to the new quilt shop! Oh no, wait, I have a quilt shop in my garage, I guess I better stay home! I'd even volunteer to take some of your WWIT fabric off your hands, but Katie next door is going back for more this week from her fabric hoarder relative and I'm sure she'll be bring home another few garbage bags full that she shares with me. So far, she's brought back over 1000 yards of fabric!

Chriss... Have my gremlins taken up residency at your house? The problem here, with everything having an "open floor plan"--- you can't hide messes! Every day I say... I'm going to clean up messes!!! And every day I do, then I make more!

Guess I better get going, as usual I need more coffee and then a quick shower. Will wait until it warms up just a bit before I head out to the garage. In the meantime.. oh yes, there is a mess to take care of!

Wishing you all a very Blessed Sunday

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:46 am

Good morning!

I've got snow! Lots of it! And the wind is gone! Oh yes, we're cold, again!

Today in a bit will be church and then home to play in the Batt Cave . I fussed around yesterday, cleaning up the bathrooms and a few other little messes, so didn't get down to the stars.

So not much going on here.

Maryq - have you seen that new Downey product to remove smells from fabric? Might help with what comes from the hoarder stash. I saw the commercial and thought of you.

Time to get ready,

Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:48 am

Good morning. It's soggy outside and supposed to rain off and on today. I don't see snow on the mountain so think the atmospheric river / blizzard fizzled out. There are patches of blue in my white and gray sky.

Yesterday I cleaned the bathrooms and today is the kitchen. I don't like to clean the stove or oven. Maybe I will do a load of laundry, time will tell.

Sharon, I think we each have methods of posting our posts. I use the two tab method. that way I can read in one tab and respond in the other. Problem is, sometimes my cursor jumps in my lap top and I have to make sure I am typing in the right spot. Jerry was taking iron and it was called Slow Fe. It was a slow release. Maybe if the iron didn't hit your stomach all at once but was slowly released it would help?

Lori, Hughs aircraft is where my grandparents met. Well? did those bathrooms get cleaned? I saw those Buttermilk Basin patterns, so cute.

Lois, I love Amazon too. They have everything and can get it here quickly. I also like the pineapple pattern.

Maryz, hard to believe you are already looking at a first birthday. I didn't get to sew yesterday but today is a new day. Seems that I try to go into my room and someone needs something. Either a walk up and down the driveway or lunch.

Flo, if I go get some spaghetti squash I might make spaghetti. I don't eat the noodles. but it does sound good.

Katy, I've never done a collage quilt but they are interesting. There are FB groups that are all about collage quilting and the results are amazing.

Judi, I also vote for going to the quilt shop. I do prefer to shop alone most of the time. I like to not feel rushed and come and go when I want. Although, there will be a town wide yard sale on May 4th and we will, if I am able, go as a group.

Maryq, as fun as it would be to go through all of that fabric, I am overjoyed that I don't have to deal with it. Yes, your messes are infiltrating my house. Come and get them and take them back home with you where they belong. I would love to play in my garage but it's quite full of so much crap. I was telling my dad that I might just get some gallon sized zip lock bags and fill them with misc junk and put them on a swap site for a buck.

Jana, I am really looking forward to getting to go back to church. It's been a month of watching it on tv. I miss it a lot.

Ok, time for breakfast, then to clean up a kitchen. Hoping that after that I will get to play in my room. You all have a fantastic day,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:28 am

Good morning ladies! Just coming to say hello. My power has been out since 9:30 last night. May be back on by 5 pm tonight. Can't stay as I have to conserve my battery.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Happy Birthday Marilyn! The big 21!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”