Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday February 29,2024

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Thursday February 29,2024

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 am

Good morning Happy Leap Year!

Yesterday I fixed my dresden blocks that I wasn't to happy with.

Today Olivia is coming to give me a very much needed haircut and I can't wait.
Other than that maybe some wash will see.

Well there isn't anything new so I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Re: Thursday February 29,2024

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:05 am

Good stormy morning and happy Leap Day,

We are on day 3 of wind and rain. I know it's good sewing weather but I'm ready for a little sunshine here!

LOIS - I'll be meeting up with you in the laundry room in a little while. Our hamper runneth over.

LYN - Sounds like things are all coming together for your shed.

MARY Q - Lots going on in your house! Would be nice if you could bring that cabinet home and fit it into your sewing room to hold fabric. I know KC and her kids are estranged, but I wonder if they keep in contact with her parents (their grandparents) . . . And I'm just doing a meander pattern on these three quilts. I gave away all my pantos when Bill bought the Q-bot thinking I'd never need them again. But, like all his other hobbies, he lost interest after a year or two and now it's like pulling teeth to get him to quilt something for me. But he WILL be quilting Amara's Fab Farm, which is up next on the quilting frame as soon as the backing fabric arrives.

CHRISS - sounds like we're having a party in the laundry room! We should have snacks and drinks and music! And yes, those quilts for 2025 are on this year's to-do list. I've not decided fully yet on what quilts to do for my sisters but I think my older sis, Tina (the one we travel around with occasionally) will get Scaredy Cat Christmas by Amanda Niederhaeuser. It has trees, cats, and Ohio Stars. Tina loves trees and cats. Still thinking on my younger sister's, Teese's, quilt but she may get Rocky Mountain High from Missouri Star because she - well both of them actually - live in the Rocky Mountains.

JANA - oooh, so sorry Andrew is so sick! But good news to hear he is responding to treatment. Thank goodness it's bacterial and not viral. I hope he came home from the hospital yesterday? I bet he was the biggest "little kid" they'd ever had at the children's hospital. Was he disappointed not to get a helicopter ride?

FLO - Did you find the tractor of Joe's dreams?

JUDI - I know you are doing some Christmas quilts, too. Which patterns have you chosen? It's never too soon to start Christmas sewing!

Yesterday was my chiro appt. Ahhh....it felt so good! Then we had our annual meeting with our financial advisor. After that we visited friend Susie. She is hoping to be able to come home in about 4 weeks. Possibly sooner. In sewing news, I got both Cats in PJ's and Fox in Pines quilted plus the binding on Cats. This morning I'll bind Fox and those three kiddo quilts will be finished. The wide backing for Amara's Fab Farm should arrive within the next few days. I will post photos when I get them all finished. With a lull in sewing, I should do some spring cleaning. At this moment I'm not feeling it, but maybe if I "just do it" as they say, the mood will come.

Only 20 days until spring! That's less than 3 weeks!

mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:10 am

Good morning it is cold 21 this morning but we will go into the high 60s next week again...I have tulips coming up but as long as there are no buds they will weather the crazy weather,,,I replanted a bunch of bulbs last year so we shall see if they come up//
Today I need to put on my grammie cap and take 2 kids to the orthodontist. First I need to pick them up at 2 different schools and take them to their appt then drop them back at 2 different schools . Its a pain in the butt but I get to spend time with them in the car anyway...havent seen them in a month.
I did get some thorough cleaning done in my bedroom yesterday dusted the walls and woodwork and furniture,,vacuumed the rug washed the mattress pad and I still need to do the comforter but that needs to go to the laundry as it is too big for mine...Ill get to that one day ......I did clean up the sewing room but that is as far as I got with any sewing....I sorted some Christmas fabric for the 3 of 4 Christmas quilts I am doing...this one is a bit more complicated,,,so it may take awhile...lots of cutting and pieces....I think I am ready...
Hope you all have a great day,,,Lois have a great haircut and laundry day,,,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:21 am

maryz I have done Rocky Mt High in christmas fabrics ( quilt #1) MSQC pattern . Number 2 is Geese in Motion in CHristmas fabric also MSQC pattern, Number 3 is Glad Tidings by Maywood. Number 4 is Pine Valley Christmas by Maple Cottage Designs...these will finish all the grandchildrens Christmas quilts...I will do 3 great grandchildrens maybe next year. Navy got a play quilt last Christmas and I need to do one for River...she will be 3, I think I will do the Ghost one for her,, Ryker will be harder He loves hunting and fishing so that will be the theme for his but I sure do need some ideas....for patterns,,,,xxxxoooo

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:25 am

Morning
Maryq, we have just under 11 acres here. That sounds a lot, but here in cow country it's called a big yard...mist have 100 acres or more.
Still haven't found perfect tractor. Joe has an antique, large tractor he will use until perfect tractor shows itself. This is his toy and he wants to restore it as a show tractor.
I'm not feeling well, I have the winter crud going around. Going to rest today.
Flo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:24 am

Good morning, hope all is well. Just another working day for me. DH still making boat seats so haven't sewn. This weekend I will put up my smaller machine somewhere.

Josiah has been doing pretty good. He still has his moments but all in all is slowly improving. Not sure when or if DD will go back to work.

Flo here 11 acres is huge. My property is probably only a quarter if that. Love those antique tractors. Yes, I think rest is a good thing.

Judi that's a lot of quilts. I will have to look those patterns up. We have 50* here, heading into our next raining days. Through the weekend I think. Friday and Saturday supposed to be the worst but often they over forecast here and it turns into nothing. You are sure energenic to get all that in a day.

Maryz sounds like you are on a quilting roll too. This will be me one day, I promise.

Lois sure hope you are happy now with your lotto blocks and will be sending them. I was happy with them already but I know we have to be happy with ourselves first. I love the colors you chose. Good luck with your hair cut. I know many of you have a special relationship with the hairdresser. I myself don't trust them so therefore my hair is to my hips. I will occasionally trim a bit myself but that is all. Plus Mom would never let me cut my hair growing up so it's kinda ingrained in me.

Chriss you sure are having a lot of visitors. Too bad they can't help you out some, well they do give you a chuckle which is always helpful. I am glad these experiences are not scarey to him. They are so much more common in cancer patients, not sure why. My sister had them too. My Mom and Grandma visited her often. I used to tell her to tell them Hello for me and that I missed them. I have often wondered if these people really are there as they do say your relatives welcome you.

Tina glad all is well. I don't get to post everyday either but I try.

Lyn I am with you, if a candidate won't talk, not voting for them. I am mailing mine in this year. Looking forward to your Lotto blocks.

Maryq I don't have really much baby stuff either. Scraps from baby quilts I have made but that's about it. I guess we only buy them when a baby is on the way. The Cystogram went as I told them it would. Nothing there. I am sure the blood is actually coming from one or both kidneys but I have survived for 65 years with it so I am not sweating it. I think they will leave it alone now. I let them know I would alert them to any changes.

Jana prayers for Andrew. At children's in Oakland you can go until you are 21! Happy though that he was well enough to go in ground ambulance. But the Helicopter would have been exciting.

Well off to start my day. Hope you all have a great day and your bobbins stay perpetually full!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:54 am

Good morning Everyone!

Happy Leap Day! You would think that with a whole extra day A person could get a lot done! That's kind of the plan here... to get more stuff done. But on the other hand, a whole extra day could be a ME day! :lol: :lol: :lol: But I think ME will stay home and get stuff done!

Lois...I finally remembered to post your new version of your lotto blocks! How nice that you have your own personal hair dresser!!! I love the gal that does my hair, but like everything else prices have gone up... I think I'll let me hair grow really long so that I get my money's worth when I get it cut!

Maryz... Sorry to hear that Bill isn't into doing the computer quilting!! Do you have the piece on your LA where you lay out the panto? Sometimes I see Pantos for sale on FB, but as a general rule I think they are kind of pricey! Let's see, what can we bribe the old man with. NO way would that cabinet fit in my house... I had to sell the China cabinet I had! My kids would disown me if I brought home more stuff. Good thing they don't know about all the fabric I found and all the fabric Katie's been giving me!!

Judi... Yeh, it can seem like a chore to pick up kids and take them places. I used to pick up Evie from school before she got her license, but it sure was fun too, just to have those few minutes in the car with her! SO happy that you actually got into your sewing room .. I'm envious in a good way... I'm still sorting and cleaning up messes... tho I did get one full tote box of fabric washed, ironed and folded and put away!

Flo... Eleven acres is nothing to sneeze at!! My house was on 1 acre in a neighborhood where all the houses had to have at least an acre (they were built before city sewer and water came in--so 1 acre was needed for well and septic) So I can kind of picture how much that is by picturing my own neighborhood. Lots to mow right? Remember, the bigger the garden... the less you have to mow!! :lol:

Valerie..... Good thing you reminded us about the 5" square for lotto blocks!!! I'll have to dig some up before I send my out... maybe tomorrow! It might be warm enough to go out to the garage today to dig up some that will coordinate with the fabric I used!! Glad your cystogram went ok. Internal bleeding somewhere? My BFF has that too, but they think it's from her Crohns.

Chriss... I kind of have a sneaky feeling that KC's kids would be quite happy to let the facility deal with all the stuff she left behind. There really isn't anything of value there, just misc knick knacks. What they would like is just pictures and the genealogy stuff. Even the china cabinet isn't all the great, but somebody could use it. I just hate to see it go in the dumpster. Years ago when I visited nursing homes and care facilities, I often talked to the residents.. and looking back the stories are funny now, but sad at the time. What can be totally nonsense to us... is totally real to them and it's good that Jerry has you to tell his stories too.

Jana... How is Andrew doing?

So yesterday I did make a little progress in sorting through fabric and getting most of it back out to the garage.. which is now a mess, but the high temp yesterday was only 20* so I sure didn't want to spend any time out there. My neighbor across the way LOVES Owls!!! Owls everywhere around their house, so in all the stuff from KC"s I found a panel of 12" blocks of 6 different Owls... I think I'm make up a little lap quilt for her out of that!

Do any of you like to do very detailed applique sort of "art quilts" In KC's stuff there were kits of lazer cut applique pieces--- 3 or 4 of Owls and 2 beautiful horses. I love applique but not that very fine and detailed stuff... I don't have the patience for it. I can send pictures, I'd happily share. I just hate to throw them in the donation box,

POTD here is to hopefully make it into the sewing room. I've been sewing up some 9patch blocks from a 30's jelly roll just to make SOMETHING. Would like to at least finish that before I start a new project---like make the owls. And I suppose I should get going on the Wedding quilt,... best not to wait until the last minute!

Better get in gear.. need more coffee!
Hope you all have the most wonderful EXTRA day!!!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:18 am

Good morning!

Andrew spent another night in the hospital. The Dr had taken him off the oxygen early in the afternoon and watched his numbers carefully. He was just on the cusp of being OK without the extra oxygen, so the Dr decided to keep him last night as a precaution. He should be home sometime today.

Today is straighten up the house, it not bad and get thar ding dang top of stars done and loaded on my LA. Also need a run to the bank. And maybe a quick stop for a few groceries. We are on the upward climb of the weather roller coaster and will be warm today. This weekend is the drop and more designer snow and cold.

Well, I finally admitted that I'm getting old and too crippled up with arthritis, so I threw in the towel and called a maid service. Sarah has used them in the past and they are really good. So we'll set a time and they will come and do a deep spring cleaning for me and then come once a week to keep it that way. I can look atvit two ways being old is a pain or, it gives me time to quilt! I'll take the quilting!

Sarah has hired her replacement for where she works. They are actually hiring 2 people to do what she has been doing herself. Sarah will still do a bit of volunteering there, that way, Ethan has a scholarship to stay in the orchestra playing cello. So this means I no longer will drive him there on Wednesdays.

Well, 9ff to straighten , feed us food, and then sew!

Hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:01 am

Another cool day, then we warm back up.

I'm trying to make sure I do the right stuff in ordering and setting up the shed. I called a Foam insulation place and got a good education. I don't think I want the factory doing inside foam, only under floor. The guy explained the difference between open cell and closed cell foam. I think in our Texas weather I need to have the closed cell foam put in on site after the electric is done. I didn't realize there was so much to what I thought was a simple project.

I just got a call that the storm door just arrived at Lowe's, but not checked in yet. My handyman was in Marble Falls this morning, but I don't think it will be ready to pick up.

I have strips ready to cut on the kitchen island for lotto blocks. Not sure if I will work on that or need to go to Marble Falls about the door. I want to make sure it's in one piece before it's picked up.

Hope y'all can play with fabric today.
Lyn

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 am

Maryq I would not call it internal bleeding, that's pretty drastic. There is just enough for the blood to show microscopicly (is that a word). I don't remember ever not having it and if a doctor ever told my Mom why this happens she never told me. I did grow up in the hospital a good part of my childhood with renal system issues but it just sorta went away as I got in my older teens. 🙃 who knows. I am still here and that's the important part. At least for me anyway.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”