Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SATURDAY, February 24th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SATURDAY, February 24th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:02 am

Good morning,

After two spring-like days, it appears we are heading back into winter and may even see a few snowflakes in the coming days. Good! I'd hate to think I missed our winter entirely!

VAL - what is the new quilt you are doing? Clever of you to find the pattern without having to take (and pay for) the class. I've seen your sewing and I would imagine with your skills you could teach the class! I made two Dresden Plates yesterday for March Lotto. They were fun and easy. I think my favorite part is choosing the fabrics. I understand you missing your dad - I cared for my dad, too and boy, could he get ornery. He passed away in Dec of 1994 and every day I wish I could hear him grumble at me one more time.

CHRISS - That is cool that Jerry asked to go for a ride. And to pop his ears! :D Glad it worked for him. I can't believe Marilyn is going to be 21 years old! How did that happen?? Do you know if she is able to have any contact with her siblings? I hope you can get your Singer to sing for you again! I thought something was wrong with my machine a few years ago. It, too, was slowing down. Then I realized that it has a speed control and somehow I'd accidentally bumped it so the machine was sewing only at half speed.

MARY Q - My friend, Susie, is doing well, but it's a long haul. Thanks for asking. She is now weight-bearing on her left foot, but her right was a very nasty compound fracture that even made the paramedics squeamish. She gets PT every day, but is getting a little bored. She has lots of sisters and friends that visit her but she misses her hubby, who is still recovering from whatever he had (not Covid). But he is doing fine. He's quite capable in the kitchen and the laundry room and the TV room. (he says). He refuses any and all help offered. Did you find any wonderful treasures yesterday? Did you look for your Correlle dishes? (I still carry a picture of the pattern you are looking for). Fabric? Good books? I find quilting and cook books sometimes as well as novels.

JANA - what's the star quilt report? And did you solve the Mystery of the Nighttime Crash?

JUDI - Will you be home tonite? I was thinking you took two nights to go south, but were going to make the trip north spending only one night on the road. They say the best day of vacation is the day you leave and the second best is the day you get home. My phone says you might be getting a little snow at home this morning, will have a sunny afternoon, but temps only reaching 33*. Going to be quite a switch from FL! But home is HOME. :D

LOIS - How was the first day of your sewing vacation? Do you miss it yet?? :D

Yesterday morning I puttered in the kitchen, washed trailer throw rugs, and made two Dresden Plates. I spent the afternoon working in the yard. We have a few huge maple trees, on each side of the house, and all our flowerbeds, grass, side patio are covered in dead leaves. So lots to do out there. My daffodils and tulips came up right through the leaves so now I have to carefully remove them by hand. The good news is I have daffodils and tulips up!

Depending on weather I will either be out in the yard again today or in the sewing room, starting to work on backing for my unicorn quilt. I plan to use Lori Holt's Spelling Bee book to make 6" letters spelling out the kids' names on the back of their quilts - Rylan, Addison, and Carson. And Amara, too, of course. I also got the idea of using this book to make letter and number flash cards for Amara in the next year or two. Antonio says he is going to home school her (He is a teacher, after all) and I thought a set of handmade flash cards from me would be more fun.

So many plans, so little time.
Have a Splendid Saturday!

mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Re: SATURDAY, February 24th

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:20 am

Morning Maryz and all to follow,
My back still not completely recovered from throwing it out on Monday, but it's a lot better. I have been doing stretching exercises for it.
Yesterday we went to a garden show at fairgrounds in Springfield. We git some good ideas on plants and planters, but a waste of time basically.
Today I need to hit Walmart. After that I will get my tomato seeds planted in my seedling trays. By mothers day they should be ready to move outside to their area.
Flo

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:57 am

Good Morning Girls

Is everybody sleeping in this morning? Come you sleepy heads GET UP!! It's a beautiful sunny day! Come on over, I've got a full pot of coffee! Oh and since you're coming over anyway, bring a dust cloth and we can have a "Chore party" Now doesn't that sound like fun!! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Maryz... I suppose you've already thought of all the things you could bring Susie to help her with the boredom--magazines, books etc... that still a long time to be away from home. I bet she will really want hug her house when she gets home... and her DH too! No fabric at Goodwill, and I purposely didn't look at books until I read what I have first. I did find 4 Corelle plates, tho not the exact ones but plain white with a black trim that coordinate $6.99 for 4 plates.. And found a few pieces for displaying things at the craft fair. Man has Goodwill raised it's prices! They had item from the Dollar Tree Store (orig. $1.25) for $2.99--- Had fun with Peg tho and had a nice lunch. Some day this spring her Sister, another Friend, Peg and I are going to go on a "thrifting trip" just close by and hit all the shops we can find!!

Flo....Glad you back is better! How many tomato plants do you start? I'd so love to try a couple on my patio again. Maybe it I remembered to take care of them I'd have better luck. Tom and Viv get great tomatoes, but then there's are in the ground. Can't do that here in townhouse assn.

Judi.... Did you make it home ok? I imagine you'll have a few days of busy work before you can get in the sewing room.... the unpacking and laundry and getting groceries again.

Chriss... Oh how fun, Jerry wanted to get out of the house!!! OH my gosh, our little girl is going to be 21! There's a ton of Goodwill stores around me. At least one in every direction. We went to Monticello, MN yesterday, that's NW, Then there's Buffalo, straight west, and Elk River, straight north (near a Joanns :lol: ) But in a little town south there's a thrift Shop that is super nice that Peg and I like. Every day you get Sr. Citizen discount of 25%---guess it does pay to get old!! It's an independent one I think affiliated with a church, so I prefer to donate there, rather than Goodwill!. Can you oil your Singer yourself? Not a machine expert here, but would that help it "speed up" Could be the machine is a Sr Citizen too and we do sometimes just slow down! :lol: :lol:

Valerie... Now that I've done that Lotto block (I'd seen it before and thought "oh heck, no way") I just might have to make a full quilt! In the tut. I think she used a Kansas Troubles Jelly roll and it just so happens that I have a couple on hand!!

Last night as I was watching TV it hit was the date was yesterday 2-23-24! It would have been my 51st Wedding anniversary! Man, now I do feel old!! No regrets about that day, but this is the first time in a long time that I've forgotten about it!

Yes, today is chore day... Time for FTD (floors toilets and dust) Later this afternoon I'll run down to the kids (2 miles, so I'll actually drive) and check on the cat. They've been doing a lot of work on the downstairs bathroom and it's really so pretty. Kris did all new ceramic tile in the shower and floor! For now the only thing that functions is the toilet!

When I get back I'll probably find my way into the sewing room. Since my UFO's are done (for the most part) I started a cute little pattern using some 30's jelly rolls, so I'll just play with that. I think I have figured out the problem with the Alaskan quilt---even called the pattern designer for help---tho the gal I talked to wasn't a lot of help. I just have to do some math!

Time to heat up the coffee, crank up the music, find the mop and dust cloth!!

Wishing YOU all the most Supercalafragalisticexpealidious Saturday!

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:24 am

Good morning from my phone. We left at 745 this morning and should be home around 5-6. Last might after fighting traffic and 12 hrs in the car we had a good Mexican dinner and went to bed. We were all
A bit crabby. Ken gets these wild hair ideas to make it home in 2 days. I think next year we will NOT be doing that.
We are going through the Smokey Mts rig by now and they are brown and dull. But always a favorite scenery. Hope you all
Have a great day Xxxxxxxxxxooooooooooo

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:25 am

Good morning!

I up, sort of, hiding under a warm quilt! Just waiting for the house to warm up. We're sunny, but cold!

Later this afternoon, we have a baptism service to attend. It's my Baden's. Afterwa, ther a luncheon at his parents house, that would be Matt and Crenda.

Stars are falling, 8nto place that is. I will work more today on them, that is unless Sarah shows up needing my help. There are days I wish I didn't teach her to sew, but mostly I'm glad she does!

No solution to the mystery noise. I did have a kitty living here, Smokey, but she's Daniel's kitty and moved with her people to their new house.

So not much more around here,

Hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:18 am

Good morning from an empty house and driveway of guests. The Cooper's left at 9:15 this morning. Since Garry is up so early, I suggested we go to town for breakfast. So, here we sit.

I've tried to read every day and keep up with y'all, but sometimes it's been bedtime reading.

Hope y'all have a great day!!
Lyn

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:58 am

Jana, I was just scrolling and came across a paper doll and clothing die from Accuquilt.
I thought of you because your littles like them. What a great idea for a take along toy.

Judi, that's a long day in the car. Hope the rest of your drive is smooth. I bet you'll be glad to be home.

Maryq, still sleeping at that hour. We're on west coast time. I'll put a few of my chores down. If you finish up with yours, you can do mine. lol

Chriss, glad you and Jerry got out a bit. It's always nice to go for a drive when you don't need to be somewhere.

Maryz, we had a few nice days too, and today as well. I was out in my dad's backyard the other day, and there was a daffodil by itself in it's glory. My mom must have planted it years ago. I have the letter book by Julie Herman of Jaybird quilts. I've never used it, but would love to do kids names on quilts as well.

Yesterday was our daughter's birthday, so we're meeting up today to celebrate. Then I'm sure I'll find something to do between my house and my dad's, there's always something that needs to be done.

Have a wonderful day.

Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:21 am

Thank you for thinking of my littles. I may just have to break down and study the Accuquilt system. I don't have 9ne yet.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:10 pm

OK - grandma brag time!

Today wax the baptismal service for Baden and another little girl. Sarah was the pianist for the service. Our service usually is a opening hymn, a prayers and then the first talk. My Emma did that and did a wonderful job. She's just now 11 and spoke 8n a standing room only, room, about 80 people, very poised. I was the chorister, for the opening hymn, since they forgot to ask for 9ne. So it was Sarah and me. Thank goodness I knew the Hymn, as I didn't have a hymnal to conduct from. The rest of the service went as the program listed. Then came time for the closing hymn and benediction. The benediction was me. So since I did the conducting for the opening, I assumed I would do the closing too, but the Bishop, in charge, asked if someone could conduct the closing, so up popped my Lila and announced she would conduct the closing hymn. She's 5. So, that's exactly what she did, I helped her from my seat in the congregation and she followed me and did the whole hymn! Sandee had a front row seat and Daniel was next to me and videoed on their phones. Aaron had been there, but was on duty and had to leave just before Lila. Kate's on duty too. So at 5, Lila is showing her musical talent and those piano lessons are showing up too! There's a back story too. When I learned to conduct, my mom would sit in the front, second row of pews and help me, just as I did Lila today.. second generation!

Maryz - my Block magazine arrived today and yesterday the paper is thinner. I had another month's out and could compare. Mine is staying together though.

Thanks for putting up with silly a grandma,
Jana

Return to “Sew ins”