Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday February 22

Daily discussions.
patches4

Thursday February 22

Post by patches4 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:49 am

Good morning one and All. Stilla bit dark but getting lighter here in Va. I have been up since 545. Things going well. Blessed and thankful. DH can now walk around house barefoot and he is confident now to stand on new ankle. First shower today getting compression stocking to wear to reduce swelling. Therapy twice a week now. I’m flying home tomorrow will be back in week as I am having Dr look at bunion on right foot and DH is having hernia surgery on the 5th not planned but happened. Stupidly thought if still out here with DH get my foot looked at by this Dr. , as it doesn’t hurt to get it looked at. Always hurts to break in new shoes and I really must get a new pair of sneakers and does hurt when I walk a lot. May kick it down road and come back in fall. Grandson confirmation in May need to be home for for sure. Have a lot to do at home, time will go by fast. Really really want to do some sewing of quilt tops for church quilt for LWR. I had left them enough for Jan and February but now must do more. Don’t plan on cooking much so will do my best. Well I hear DH stirring so best get moving. Have a happy, healthy, safe, and productive day. Prayers for all in need known and unknown. How is Tina R doing?
Take care, That’s all for now,
TinaB
Patches4

purrfect-lady

Re: Thursday February 22

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:56 am

Good morning, everyone,

TINA B - You've got a lot going on and in so many directions. No wonder you were up so early! I hope all works out well for you. I hope those bunions don't require surgery. If so, would you have it done in VA or take it back home?

MARY Q - Maybe we'll just call each other "Cuz". My gr-grandfather worked in Mankato. I want to say in a big mine there. But my memory is fuzzy and I haven't worked on my genealogy facts for a while. Mike's family was there for a while, too. They are all Norwegian. Maybe you're related to my kids! Hmmm.... I wonder what your sis ever did with that first wedding dress. What was it like? You are really burning through your UFO's!

JANA - That belt is really cutting into your real sewing time. Is there anyway you could use a narrow foot, maybe a zipper foot, or no foot, and go really slowly? Is the belt attached to the overskirt like an apron tie? Or is it a real belt? I think we need to see a photo of this project when you are finished.

JUDI - I'm glad you got another beach day before you left. Where on the beach did you go? Since we were just there I'm curious. You must have been close to the Space Coast if you saw a launch. And how exciting was that!

CHRISS - how are things going? How is Jerry doing? How is you doing? Did you get much rain from all the CA storms?

Yesterday I got most everything in my sewing room squared away and the trailer mostly cleaned. Emptied out all the kitchen cupboards, washed them (dusty!!), replaced all that stays in, and restocked supplies. Then I washed all the bedding. This morning I need to mend a tear in our duvet cover and then remake the bed. After that, all that's left is carpet and floor, but we're going to do that after the new toilet gets installed which is on Bill's list for today. After we make an errand run (Costco, PO, UPS, Petco, CVS, and visit our friend who is in rehab with 2 fx'd ankles). I think tomorrow, or dare I hope this afternoon, I might be able to do some real sewing and I'm going to start with piecing the backing for Amara's Fab Farm. There is also a LOT of yard work to do and today and tomorrow might be good days to get a start on that - mid-50's and no rain (or so they say), so I might even go out and get my hands in the dirt. And maybe take the Christmas lights off the shrubs.

Well, I guess I have a lot to do today so I best get busy doing it. Y'all take care!

mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:08 am

Morning
Yesterday went with joe to endodontist. He had a root canal and was there in case he needed a driver. Thank God he didn't, because my back still out, but it's better.
Today is catch up around house. And need to get my tomato seeds in planter tray..will start them in house to transfer outside around Mothers day.
Flo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:24 am

Good morning quilting world, How is everyone

Another big working day today but am only accept 4 or 5 patients next week. Told them I really need the time to get these relias classes done. Today, Napa, Santa Rosa, and Sonoma which probably doesn't mean much to anyone but Jana!

DD turns 47 today, boy she is getting old! Glad it's her and not me. I didn't hear from her yesterday so guess Josiah had a good day.

Not much new for me. Did check with the quilter last night. Reminded her the church needs the donation quilt on the 29th and still need to get the binding on. She said it will happen. This weekend I am going to focus on the binding on another quilt just in case. Don't think I will use her again. I don't do last minute well. She is very nice but just a bit too laxidasical for me.

March lotto is posted for those interested. Found a great pattern, hoping I win! But I hope that most months so that's nothing new.

Off to get some breakfast and more coffee. Make try to cut a quilt before I go to work, We will see. Have a great day everyone.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

womster

Post by womster » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:07 am

Good morning -

Judi - happy last day in FL. I know you are anxious to get home.

Flo - hope Joe is feeling good today after his visit to the tooth guy.

Maryz - aren't you so glad to be home?! When is Bill's eye appointment?

TinaB - breaking in new shoes is not fun. Good luck with all you have to get done.

Valerie - I guess no news is good news re Josiah. HB to your daughter!

We are slowly making our way back to the land of the not-so-sick. DH went to urgent care yesterday and waited four hours to be seen, only to be told it was too late to test him for flu so here's some prednisone and a rescue inhaler. He just wanted to make sure his bronchial woes weren't headed towards pneumonia, which he gets really easily. I have tried explaining to him that health care has changed. We are starting to realize that Kaiser's model is you see your PCP on a scheduled basis, but there is no way you can see them on an acute level. You either go to Urgent Care or the ER. Very different from how the family practice we used to have operated.

We've had the handyman here the last couple of days and he does excellent work. I may venture out to the sewing hole to check out how my new magnetic seam guide is going to work. Since I slept all night last night (first time in over a week!), I woke up feeling great and going over all the things I needed to do. Ha - I could barely make it through my shower without having to sit down so slow and easy is the course for the day. I've missed you all! Have a glorious day. xoxo Sharona

xoxo Sharona

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:10 am

Maryz we were at Cocoa beach , watched the launch from Jetty Park... I see there are 2 posts for today...
we like it there and we also like going to Ron Jon surf shop///I love the beach wear there and bought 2 pairs of shoes and a zippered hoddie..(I was bad) xxxooo

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:19 am

Good morning Girls

Looks like a delightful day here.. Going to warm up to almost 50 Alexa says. Might be a good day to go get groceries, though now after I've seen Valerie's plan for the March Lotto, I might want to do that instead! Groceries can wait until tomorrow!

Tinab.... Good news that your DH is doing so well he can walk about a bit! Will you stay in VA for his hernia surgery or go back to IL? Good idea to have your bunion checked out by the same MD. that did DH's ankle. I've heard they are not fun to have done---as my Jen had to have both of hers done when she got out of high school. Maybe just do the left foot so you can still sew with the right foot!! :lol: :lol:

Maryz... If there was a big mine near Mankato, I don't think it's there now. Kevin went to college in Mankato and I don't think I ever heard about a mine. I think the whole state of MN is Norwegian, or German as my little town is TOTALLY German or was when we moved here--we were "outsiders" and outsiders were not always welcome here. DB Greg is flying back today, his wife Carol stayed behind with the dog. He didn't plan on staying this long, but it was good to see him. They will head back to MN the end of March!

Flo... Oh yuk.... a root canal!! I'd always heard how bad they were, long before I ever needed one---turns out.. they aren't really all that awful--not fun of course, but personally, I'd rather have a root canal than a tooth pulled! You start your tomato plants inside from seed too? My Dad always did that too, in his little greenhouse he built. Up here we wait until Memorial Day to plant in the ground.

Valerie... Love the March Lotto... I have some perfect Jelly roll strips, left over from other projects that will be perfect. Always good to hear that Josiah had a good day!

Lois... From Judi's post......Last time I was sorting fabric, I found a box of solid colors in my stash... Are you looking for any particular size or color.. I know I have some yellow and blue and maybe red and pink. I'd happily share!

Judi... The friend that flew home today, is she the friend that rode down with you? So it will be just you and Ken for the ride home? I'd agree, three weeks is long enough to be gone from home. I bet you are really missing those grand kids!! I remember Ron Jon shops when we took the kids to Disney years ago! Love that kind of stuff too.

Sharon.... You are in the land of the living again? Good to see you back. My BFF that lived in CO always complained about Kaiser. Insurance companies seem to make the rules for health care these days. We have a few more choices in MN, but I've heard that Medicare Advantage plans, like I have, are struggling and some clinics, Like the Mayo clinic (big here in southern MN) won't take them anymore. One dentist I called, won't take ANY Medicare plan at all! Guess he doesn't want to deal with old folks! :lol: I have one of those magnet seem guides... and I've been scared to use it-- I liked it on my old machine, but with my Janome being all computerized, it makes me nervous!

I have a phone call in to the "leasing office" at KC's facility. I was thinking about going down there to check it out. She left some things behind, and remembering what was there I thought I'd perhaps go rescue some stuff. I guess she left quite a mess, including a FULL gross litter box--but that doesn't surprise me at all. I know they are going to have to completely gut the place to replace all the carpeting and paint, and fix the broken mini blinds. So if I hear from the gal in leasing I might make a mad dash down there and stop for groceries on the way home. IF not, I'll stay home and play with some Lotto blocks and/or pick another project to play with. I finished quilting that last UFO--yesterday and will finish the binding tonight.

For now I need more coffee, some music, and a shower! In that order!

Wishing you all a super wonderful Thursday

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:45 am

Good morning!

I dislike when the proverbial they lie! The they said we would be clear and what is happening, it's snowing! But at least I am home , well most of the day. I do need a quick run to the grocery store.

OK, this dress - the bride didn't want a dress that looked like a wedding dress. So she has a white blouse and a long white skirt. So to dress up the elastic waist skirt, we added a belt - it's a regular type of a belt, but closes in the back, so you see pretty tot embroidery on a white satin belt, we made. But, there's always one of those, the belt would slide around and not stay 8n place, so Sarah came up with a way to attach the belt with a separating zipper to the long white skirt. Worked beautifully! Still allowed movement for the bride. Now, since the bride wanted something different and fancy, that twirls as she dances, the tulle overskirt with the cherry blossoms applique. So that tulle will be gathered and attached to it's own separate waist band to which Sarah will add a part, half, of another separating zipper - to hold the two together as a unit.. they zip together, the belt and overskirt. the zippers are the same brand, so you can interchange them. We checked first to make sure this hairbrained idea worked - it did! So after the ceremony, the bride will add the tulle skirt and have what she wanted. Everything would be great, except for how the cherry blossoms are riveted to the tulle. We both have Pfaff sewing machines and Pfaff makes this weird zipper foot, which we think will work so we can gather up the tulle. The hem is all done, as a scallop on the edge, so all we need to do is gather and attach. Sarah has this already cut to the right length. One of these days, maybe we'll learn not to get us into these things! Hopefully Sarah will get a picture, the first part, the bride has now.

I'll be assembling my stars top today and have in my brain, the border I want to add. Aaron helped my curiosity yesterday. It was a domestic problem, with a teenager who attacked others with a weapon. No one was hurt, thank goodness, and the teen is getting help. Could have been much worst. This is the second incident that PD responded too.

So it's time for food, then devotional, then I'll sew!

Hugs,
Jana

Oh yes, I love all that area you get to drive through Val! Spent many summers up the Russian river.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:51 pm

Good afternoon. What a busy couple of days. But this afternoon will fix all that. The only thing I must do for the rest of the day is cook dinner. Everything else will wait.

Jerry was full of energy a couple of days ago but not yesterday or today. Huge Delima's for him. The Corelle bowl his salad was in was too heavy and the hard part is he doesn't easily convey his wants, so it took two tries for me to get the right bowl. People who are caregivers are a special breed and I ain't it. I have to remember to breathe, count to ten then ask what he needs so that I can resolve his issue.

What I really want to do is go to Fresno to a quilt shop that is closing and take advantage of their sales. I also need to take my machine in for service, it has a sensor issue, and I will need an oil change soon. It all could be done in one day, but I can't leave for an entire day.

Judi, well I guess that since you will reserve the same place for next year it turned out to be a good place after all. Have a safe trip home.

Lois, the Tildas quilt is really pretty. Will you use bright flower colors? It's going to be really gorgeous.

Tinab. I just read a devotion that told a story about the woman who broke in new shoes for Queen Elizabeth. Seems she was the lady who dressed the queen. You need to get that kind of a person, so your feet don't hurt. Continued prayers for DH.

Maryz, you never run out of things to do. I keep seeing the yard work needing to be done here. When Moose goes outside the grass is still below his belly but barely. How awful to have two broken ankles, how on earth did your friend do that? Hope they are easily mended.

Flo, I need to stir up some dirt and add calcium before I can plant tomatoes. Soon I hope. Glad the back is getting better.

Valerie, so glad you haven't heard from Josiah, I agree, that must mean all is well. Love the March lotto block. I also hope I win. I can't get the template to print nicely, too small, more like a picture than a full page. I will fiddle with it later. Today is all about February lotto.

Sharon, healthcare here isn't what it used to be either. And you might get a different set of instructions from one doctor to the next. We also have found that if you want to see a doctor now you need to go to urgent care otherwise it will take weeks to see a regular doctor.

Maryq, Hope you get to rescue the items you are looking for. So, it sounds like KC may have actually made it to her brothers and you are off the hook. woo hoo, if I were you, I would certainly be cutting up the confetti. You are on your last ufo? Keep looking, I'm sure you will find another.

Jana, hope both the food and the devotional went well. I bet, when you are completely done with that skirt belt thing you will be ready to toss the confetti. Might ask Maryq to make a little extra for you.

I've broken down and done it. I bought the Ghost Who Was A Quilt book. Seems my son and his wife are pregnant. They broke the news to me during the football game before the super bowl and swore me to secrecy. They are at about 10 weeks now. I don't know if I am getting a boy or a girl, I will be overjoyed with either, heck, I'd love both. The baby is due in September which also happens to be Jerry's birthday month. Containing my excitement is the most difficult thing ever, so I'm not going to do it anymore. I'm going to be a grandma. My mind is racing with things I want to make and buy and do. But first, I am looking for the perfect gift for my daughter in law. I want to give her something that is all about her.

Even though I am getting my own grandbaby the rule about you giving yours smooches on my behalf still stands.

Now I am off to do the dishes. I know I was going to leave them but knowing they are sitting there needing a run through the soap and water is driving me nuts. Then I will be off to my sewing room to finish up the February lotto.

You all have a super afternoon. I'll be in my room for hopefully the rest of the day.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:59 pm

Chriss, I hear you about care giving. Caregivers are a special breed and I ain't it either.
I have a call into a care giving service. Waiting for a call back. I can't keep running two households. I can pay the bills, but need some help with the day to day stuff for my dad. He's pretty low maintenance, but it still takes up my time since he lives up the street. On another note, congratulations grandma. How exciting for you. I'm sure Maryz can give you some pointers on what to make. lol

Jana, "they" lie all the time. What they should do is guess. My best guess is it might be sunny, or it might snow. Sounds like the wedding dress thing blew up a bit. I thought it was just a belt.

Judi, I bet the rocket launch was awesome. You just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Sharona, glad you are coming back to the land of the living.

Val, looking forward to trying out the March lotto. It looks super easy.

Mary, I hope you get to sew today. I know it's been a while.

I got my QIAD shipment this morning. They get me a lot on those daily specials. And I hate to pay for shipping, so I have to make it worth my while. I got a really cute pattern from Edyta Sitar called Harmony. I need to see what fabrics I have that will look good. I think I may make one for me and one for my sister at the same time. I also got a cute heart die for my Accuquilt, and a few other cute things. The main reason for the order was Carol Doaks Paper piecing papers. I think it was the least expensive thing in the box.

I've been busy doing things around my house and dad's thing morning, so now I need to have some fun. I'm off to play.

Have a wonderful day.

Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”