Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 21st

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 21st

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:26 am

Good morning,

It's great to be home! But busy! I didn't realize a 29-foot trailer could hold so much stuff! And it all has to be reabsorbed back into the house. A lot of stuff that I took we never even used. Every year I tell myself to pack less. And every year I think I do. My sewing room is a disaster but it's all that's left to sort and put things away. Then I need to clean and restock the trailer. We have a camping trip scheduled for March 10-14. Not sure after almost 4 months away if we really want to go but another couple is involved and I'm sure they want to get out so we probably will.

FLO - I hope your sciatica is better today. So are you stacking cottage stones around your trees, filling in with dirt and then planting flowers? That's what I'm envisioning...

KATY - you are your busy self as usual, but I was happy to see you just sat down with a book and took a rest. I did that yesterday, too. I spent the afternoon, feet up, quilt over my lap, and a book. It felt good. Barny sounds like a hoot! Our Snickers was the same way all his 13 years - loved his toys and often took them into his bed (which was his kennel). Every night before bedtime we gathered up all the toys he'd spread around the house during the day and put them back in his toybox. Next day he's start all over again.

LOIS - congratulations on finishing that quilt! Is it off to the quilter or are you going to do it yourself?

JUDI - I hope your last few days in FL are warmer so you can use that pool. My sis always has to empty her trailer completely, too. First thing they did when they got back to CO was winterize it, then started pulling everything out of it. We are lucky. Ours is parked only a few steps from the back of the garage - and if temps go below freezing, we blow the water lines and turn on a little heater inside. But we don't freeze much here. Did you download another book to listen to? I can download books to my phone from my library using my Libby App from any place in the world. Any new updates on Chrissy1 and her DH?

JANA - good news about Stu! Electrician is a good profession! I hope he sticks with it. Is the girlfriend still in the picture? And company coming next month! Why do you have to have your quilt finished before they get there? Is it for them? Will they be staying with you?

MARY Q - FIVE UFO's finished!? You go, girl! What a coincidence that you and your boss were related. You and I might be related, too. My grandmother was born in St. Cloud and I have many obscure relatives in your area from both sides of my family. Any McDonoughs, Nickles, Haubers, Deckerts or Rosens in your genealogy?

LYN - glad things are moving forward for your shed. Do you need a 'dozer to come in and level the site before placing the shed or just the gravel? Love your kitchen "jewelry". It's a good choice to accent your cabinetry, which I also love. And your flooring! Beautiful kitchen!

CHRISS - goats are always fun! And funny. Do you have secure, goat-proof fences? Available water? Shade shelters? Would you take care of them or would their owner? I grew up on a farm with animals. Chores happen morning and evening, no matter what. Chores must be done. Just a few things to consider before taking on animals. A wedding in your family this summer! That's a fun thing to think about. What colors are you thinking of if you do a quilt for them? And taxes! Ugh! We still have to do ours. It takes a LOT of medial expenses to itemize. But don't forget - RT mileage to/from any medical appt is deductible, too.

Well, I need another cuppa to get me going. Today - I start cleaning the trailer, put back regular things that didn't go to TX with us, remake the bed, wipe out cabinets, dust, mop, etc. Our new toilet will be here in another day or two and Bill has a fun job ahead of him. RV toilets flush differently than residential models. The mechanism that allows water to stay in the bowl is broken. It's functional but barely. Bill has fixed it 3 times in the past 18 months but he says it's fixable no more so he ordered another one. Fun times!

Have a marvy day! Stay dry!

maryz
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: WEDNESDAY, Feb. 21st

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:53 am

Good morning It is cool and sunny.I may just sit outside. and listen to a new book. Its really not new...It is called "the help" its an old book but I saw the movie and decided to read the book. It is very interrsting. and the only thing I could find that had some substance to it.
I have been sewing a few hexis here and there,,,nothing serious...
We did end up going to the beach yesterday,,,we stopped at a dinky little sea food place and had the most delicious lunch.,then we took our chairs and wentto the beach to sit and people watch,,,we were anmazed at how many people were there on a tuesday afternoon it was down right crowded , then we sat and watched the waves crash,,,(Always a lPus for me) Got to talking to some folks and lo and behold a rocket was launching ( hense the crowded beach on th tuesday afternoon) It was an amazing site...It was our third launch and it is stil exciting,,,First you see the rocket fire off and a few seconds later you feel the ground shake and the sound of the rocket,,,so cool....It was a bonus to our day...
Our friend who is traveling with us is leaving tomorrow and then we go on friday morning...so today will be spent by the pool even though it is cool out. I will do some wash on thursday and pack up...
It will be good to get on the road again and we are already looking to book for next year....
Hope ypu all have a great day XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:24 am

Good morning!

Excitement next door last night. We had 3 PD, fire and ambo there. I am in the dark as to what happened, but I have my source in PD to fill in the curiosity, that is when he gets on duty this morning. When we lived in California, for 37 years, never did we have any fire or ambo come on our street. Here, we're up to 8 times!

The quilt is for my nephew and that's why I would li,like, to get it done. Sarah got the belt all done for the dress and then I did a small project for my Baden. But now we have a huge problem with that dang bridal skirt , the overskirt that is tulle and cherry blossoms applique. Well, there are pearls attached to the tulle as well - they are not sewn on, but riveted! So trying to remove them is impossible without making a hole in the tulle, and they are in the way of the gathering for the waistband! We think we'll have to hand gather the tulle, skipping around the hit and miss pearls. What a pain! We are studying the problem trying to come up with a solution. Uggh!

Today is rain and cello run. At least it's not snow! So I sew a bit, and then do the cello run.

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:54 am

Good morning Girls

Either I'm up too early or y'all are sleepy heads this morning!!! Now that the sun is up earlier, I find myself waking up earlier! UGH.. I set my coffee pot to start brewing at 7:45 and I really hate it when I wake up before IT does!!! :lol: :lol:

Maryz.. I suppose we could be related... you at least have some Minnesota blood in you! I don't recognize any of those names in your family tree. My Dad's side is all the Norwegians--Larson, Johson, Hanson, etc etc and My Mom's side is the Irish side--tho my Dad's Mom's family was from Quebec. Do you know what year your grandmother was born? My Dad's Mom was born in 1897--so perhaps they are the same age. I didn't know my Mom's Mom, she passed away when I was little. I find genealogy interesting but my kids sure don't! Hope can wrap up all that camper cleaning so you can get into your sewing room!! Maybe just hide in there for a little while, shut the door so Bill can't find you!

Judi.... How cool to see a rocket launch!! They seem to be No Big Deal anymore, like when the first space ships went out, Apollo and Challenger. I wonder if there were astronauts on board or if they were just shooting up another satellite! Are you getting anxious to get home? Does the drive home seem longer to you when you are wanting to just GET THERE!! Do your passengers keep asking "Are we there yet?" or Where's the bathroom? :lol:

Jana... My goodness, you do have a predicament!! I'm guessing hand sewing is the only way you're going to get by those pearls. When my sis was engaged the 1st time--never married that one--I made her wedding dress, and believe me, it's a task I'm glad I've never had to do again! It was a pretty simple one, but oh the pressure. I wonder what ever happened to it! She married a different guy in a different dress!

Lyn... LOVE your new hardware in the kitchen!! My kitchen had ugly old brass knobs, so I replaced with white porcelain ones. My bathrooms don't have any knobs at all and I so want to put some on, but I'm chicken to drill the holes myself as I know I will mess it up!!! When you get your She Shed up and done, will you move much stuff from Colorado to Texas?

Chriss... Yeah for a tax refund!!! I always kind of hold my breath after I send my papers off to the accountant! Some years I'm lucky and get a few bucks back, sometimes they set me up to make automatic payments TO the IRS the next year. I sure would love to get a little extra cash in my pocket this year!! Yup, NO word from KC and I'm ok with that!

Valerie.... My too, I need to live to 150 to finish up all my UFO's or things I'd really LIKE to do! So, I'm only 72, but I have this fear that I'm going to leave a mess for my kids to clean up so I'm trying to sew as fast as I can. I have to use up all that fabric in my garage or I just know they will hand it off to Goodwill or some land fill somewhere! They just don't appreciate it! I do have a list of my "quilting buddies" (you guys) in my computer and I have shown Kevin where it is---so if I croak, y'all will get a package of fabric in the mail!!

Yesterday I did manage did get the 5th UFO sandwiched and pinned and got a good start on the quilting. Ran up to town for my haircut and as I was leaving my DB Greg called and wanted to meet for dinner--- I never turn down an opportunity to go out for dinner! So I ran home, re-did my hair and met him at a great Mexican restaurant nearby. He is in town, from Texas to make arrangements for his friend that he is POA for, that is not quite at the "actively dying" stage... but transitioning. He happens to live at the same facility KC did.

Today I think I'll finish up that little quilt. There are 2 more in my UFO bucket, but looking at them, I think I will save them for Viv, they are little big to wrestle with on my little machine. So when this is done, I'll grab another "kit" from my closet--something I had plans for or pieces already cut and see what I can find to make more UFO's!!!

Time to fill up the coffee cup, crank up the music and get my motor (on the sewing machine) running!!!

Wishing you all a Wonderful Wednesday!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:06 am

Good morning everyone 🌞
Maryz and Maryq, when DD was in the 7th grade we went back to Italy on Frankie's side and it went way back because we had access to a family bible. On my mom's side we couldn't go back as far but I kept all that and 2 years ago Jazmyne had access through school to genealogy sites because they were doing that in one of her classes, turns out we have royalty way way back, it was really cool to trace all that back.
You all have a great day!
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:58 am

I love doing Family History! It's what is now the term for genealogy. My mom did it extensively and even compiled several volumes of birth, death and marriage records that were published in the local newspaper daily. We always made sure there was a copy of the paper so there would not be a missed day. My mom donated that information to the Oakland Genealogical library, who in turn, sent those volumes here to Salt Lake to be microfilmed. The original volumes are now stored in the granite vaults over in the mountains across the valley from me. She did this for several years. I in turn, have entered all the names she gathered of our ancestors on the the computer, many years ago, when the first computer programs came out!

Return to “Sew ins”