Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday, February 20th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Tuesday, February 20th

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:08 am

Good morning - from HOME! Yay!

Our drive was about 320 miles from central OR to central WA, and all in the rain. But once we got home, got the trialer parked in the RV port, the sun finally came out! Today will be bringing everything inside and starting to CLEAN. Ugh. Then restock with basic food supplies, a bit of clothing, and paper goods. We keep enough stuff in there for a week - it's our emergency kit in case the mountain blows, the earth quakes, the seas surge or we want to go camping.

JUDI - congratulations on your Wings. I didn't see the game, but if they showed Seattle at all on the screen during the game and you saw the rain - I was in that rain! Waving to you! I'm hoping you're having better weather your last week in FL. When I post (on my computer) I always have two tabs up - the new post and the day before and go back and forth. When I'm done I proofread it, then last thing check to see if anyone else has posted. If not, I type in a subjust and hit submit. But if they have, I cut and paste my post to their thread.

SHARONA - so sorry to hear you are sick - again! There is a LOT of crud out there this year and it ain't all Covid. I hope you and your hubby get well soon.

CHRISS - It's a tough learning curve when you suddenly have to take over more of the responsibilities. But I have confidence in you. As we drove up through CA a few days ago, it was good to see so many new orchards being planted. And the old ones IN BLOOM! Usually we're too early for that. Thousands of acres of pink blossoms. They were so fragrant. Were they almonds? I wish the growers would put a label on their orchards telling travelers what they are.

VAL - good news to hear Josiah was playing. I wonder what is causing the vomiting though. Medications? It's a rough side effect!

MARY Q - I hope KC got off to AR OK. And I hope she at least calls to let you know she made it safely. And to perhaps say thank you for all you've done for her the past couple of years. And I hope the Alaskan LQS has an answer for you!

JANA - I hope you got your chirping alarm silenced. Has that storm hit you yet? We got through CA just in time by canceling our second day at Orange Grove in Bakersfield. So glad we did!!

LYN - you found the shed of your dreams?? Looks like you might be staying at the house for quite a while now. Will it be move-in-ready before you leave TX this spring? That was thoughtful of you to make a pillow depicting your friend's cat! What a neat gift!

LOIS - You bet I was clicking those red slippers! You started over on your BD quilt just a few days ago and you're already finished with it??? That was fast unless I mis-read your post.

We made it home, safe and sound, but a rainy, rainy drive in heavy freeway/truck traffic. I say a lot of prayers before a trip, and I try not to forget to offer up my thanks AFTER a safe trip, too. And also to all of you who say prayers for us as we travel. They are so much appreciated! And also, thank you for letting me gush over our miracle granddaughter. Y'all are so sweet! We miss her but have a Zoom date with her this weekend.

I got a lot of things emptied out of the trailer yesterday afternoon, but I'll finish that today and start the laundry. DH has an appt to take our car to Discount Tire to get new tires put on. I'd forgotten that the day we left, we ran a morning errand and picked up a nail. Bill had to change the tire (in our yard) and the car sat all winter in the garage with that little tire on it. There was a sale on Michilen tires a month ago so he ordered four and had them shipped to Discount Tire. We came home to a lot of yard work. My daffodils are up about 6", poking through a layer of fall leaves! So now I can't just rake leaves, but have to gently pull them off the daffs. Not to mention I have four quilts to quilt. And we have a lot of friends to see.

There's no place like home!
mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Re: Tuesday, February 20th

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:26 am

Morning Maryz and all to follow,
Yesterday I got the planter stacked around second tree in yard....and aggravated my sciatica. So here I sit with icy hot on my back. Good news is I don't have to do the last tree!
Joe off to dentist, so I will take Morning off. Need to clean chickens play yard later rain on its way in.
Flo

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:27 am

Good morning Mary and all who follow
Today going to Galesburg with my sister. Barney needs more food and I need to go to Menards f ora water filter and some stain. I may stop and get another battery operated chain saw. I think I will take mine with me. Then to Joanns for batting. At least two quilts are ready to go to quilter. Hopefully stop for lunch.
Yesterday picked up and swept all floors. Then took afternoon reading. I needed a break.
Barney is such a character. My sis calls him the horder. He will grab thing and take them int his kennel. He is actually not hording but hiding them from me.
Mary Glad you made it home safely. Did you know a lot of new cars do not have donut tire. They have something that you put inside to fix tire. I bet you do miss your grandbaby. I hope the zoom goes well.
Flo Sorry your back is hurting.
I will sew and clean tomorrow. But for now I need to get ready so I can pick my sister up on time.

Y'all have a great sewing day.
Katy

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:31 am

Good morning

Mary so happy you and Bill arrived home safe
Yes I finished my Quilt yesterday I like how it turned out this is the first quilt that I didn't have a pattern for just had a visual.
Today is our gym day and we are here.

Have a great day
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:37 am

Good morning from sunny but chilly Florida. it was 49 this morning but if you sit in the sun it feels warmer..I am betting the last week here it will be nice...It may be too cold for me to go into the pool but itting outside and listening to my book (which I finally finished) was a good thing...Dont know what the plan is for the day but I think we will try for the beach again..today or tomorrow.
I am not making much progress on the hexi quilt but it is a WIP and has been for a couple of years now...
Mary glad you are home and settled...Because of our weather here we have always had to unpack our camper completely...only thing I put back out there was sheets towels and paper products...In the next couple of weeks I think I will be emptying it for the last time as it goes to its new home, at my sons place on a lake...it will no longer travel...he will place it permanantly. His family loves and uses the place from May to October each year..I will make sure there are games and coloring book ans crayons for the kiddos but his grand kids are totally out door kids..they are outside all the time even in the snow...We are looking for a smaller RV but not sure when that will happen...it has to suite both of us...
Well I am headed outside for a bit...too much sun to waste...hope you day brings you sunshine and smiles//XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:18 am

Good morning!

Yes, no artificial bird chirping today! For some dumb stupid reason, I have 2 smoke alarms within 2 feet of each other. One in my bedroom, the other just outside that door. It was the outside of the door one misbehaving. It's the easy one to reach with my little giant step ladder. So it was silenced! Some wel meaning stupid politician made the code for every bedroom to have a smoke alarm, that's good, but one just outside the door, dumb!

Stuart took a test to be accepted into a training/trade school to become a electrician last week. He passed! This program trains him in the classroom as well as he works full time for a electrical company, getting paid! It's run out of Weber State University along with several major electrical companies. The bad thing is, he may need to move to Cache Valley for this job training. It is a several year program to get him trained to be a journeyman electrician. Stuart has a friend in this program too and he lives in Cache Valley working . These two boys grew up together, so that's a good thing. Matt owns a rental home up there for students and will have a opening as the school year ends. Might just work out good!

My nephew and his wife will be up in March for a visit, so I need to get in gear and get the star quilt finished. But first, I need Sarah's embroidery project done and out of the way! She's learned how to run the embroidery herself, a great thing! So I will finish up the last couple of stars, squaring them up and start flipping the rows to stack for sewing. It's all laid out on my design wall, ready for me.

We are cold and getting tons of snow in the mountains. Rain on me. They call this designer snow, we get the necessary water and no shoveling, I'm good with that!

Glad everyone is home, or almost there,

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:44 am

Good morning Girls

Happy Tuesday!!! Man this month is going by fast!!

Maryz.. WELCOME HOME!!!! Have you hugged your house a few times now? Sounds like you will have your day cut out for you...laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, and all those other nasty chores like dusting and sheet changing etc!! But oh what fun, to come home to daffodils blooming! Haven't heard a peep from KC but think I will text her later on this afternoon to see if she made it ok.

Flo, I'm trying to picture your planters,. Are you going put flowers in those planters around your trees? With spring just around the corner I'm trying to decide what I want to plant in pots around my patio this year. What I would really love is a nice big Shelf thingee to keep the pots on! Might have to watch facebook marketplace!

Katy.... Sounds like you have a busy day planned! The best part is going out to lunch. Does your sis live close by? My sis is still working so I don't get to see her very often--or any of my siblings for that matter. No more problems with your car?

Lois... SO love your BD quilt!!! I've been kind of saving red and black pieces of fabric as I run across them... so that when the mood hits me I can do one too, though I have several other projects I'd like to do too and there just not enough hours in the day!

Judi... That sounds like a good plan, for the camper to go to your son's place. Do you go up there much? Will it be a sort of guest room for visitors at the lake? Hope you can get to the beach at least once more before you have to start home, it's got to be much quieter there during the week than on the weekends!

Jana... OH gosh, don't you just hate that chirping noise of the smoke alarm!! In MN you have to have one in every room! My living room ceiling is 16' so if that things goes off, no way can I get up there and fix it!!! Even my bedroom ceiling is higher than normal!!! Knock on wood, mine have not gone off in the 2 years I've been here! Congratulations to Stu! How exciting for him.

Valerie.... My dad has been gone since 2002 and there are still so many times I want to call and tell him something. My Dad was a big genealogy nut, he did tons of research and loved big family reunions. Not long after my Dad passed, I went to work for the company that bought our drug store, and discovered one day that my boss and I are related! Oh how I would have loved to call him up and tell him!! Turns out we are 3rd cousins, once removed! :lol: :lol: Good to hear that Josiah seems to be doing well and also that DD is finding a new Pediatrician!!!

Chriss... You are so brave to do your own taxes!! I could probably figure it out on my own, I think with The Turbo tax it's really easy, but I have these funky retirement accounts that I don't understand, so I just let my accountant do it. I've had the same one for oh gosh, at least 20 years! Did you get to your sewing room yesterday? Other than lotto blocks are you working on anything fun?

Yesterday was such a nice day... I stayed in ALLLLLL day and finished another one of my UFO's That's 5 now I've gotten done, but they are all little ones, barely lap size. I have one ready to work on today. OH but wait, there's more!!! Those do not include the UFO's that I have to piece backings for and get ready to hand off to Viv for quilting. Since she won't be quilting for a while I'll wait and take them when I go down to Wisconsin in May. Today I'll sandwich and pin, putts around a little probably. Might get a few things ready for the little craft fair Peg and I are doing next month. But the best part of the day, will be getting a hair cut!! I'm getting pretty shaggy and feel kind of dumpy--- a good hair cut always brightens my day!

Think I'll bop over to Supper Club and see what's for supper tonight!

Wishing you all a Terrific Tuesday

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:04 am

A sunny day in the Hill Country, with the birds feasting on the bird seeds at 2 feeders.

MaryZ, I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Hope Bill can fix the toilet.

Chris, I know how it is to have to take over what the hubby use to do. But, I know you can handle it all. 💞

Before I order the shed, I have to print off a form from city website and submit for approval. I got the name of a place to get Granite gravel from and the handyman, George, has equipment to help spread it, to prep the site. I think if all goes well, we could get the shed in March. It will be insulted but need electric and finished off inside. I don't think that will happen until fall.

The storm door is on a truck heading to the store and should be there on Monday.

Yesterday Chris and I finished getting the knobs and handles on the cabinet doors and drawers. It looks so nice. A before and after.

Since I'm posting pics, here's the pillow. Ryder is a cute cat and I surprisingly haven't had to much allergy problem.

Chris is leaving some time today and Jim & Carol will be arriving this afternoon.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Lyn

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:05 am

Good morning. It's going to be a wonderful day today. Temps should climb to almost 60 and it will be dry.

I'd really like to get out there and do a little weed eating but it's just going to rain again this weekend and so I will wait. I'm really considering getting some goats and let them have at it. A friends niece raises goats and I bet they would love a vacation with room and board, meals included.

Yesterday started out shaky and turned out wonderful. Tried to load turbo tax on our old computer and it wanted to load through Itunes. So I loaded it on my laptop and did the taxes. Was going to have to pay the Feds $500 but remembered we put in the air conditioner. So, after adding the air conditioner I now get a $61 refund. I had added up all of Jerry's medical stuff and it was still best for me to take the standard deduction. I'm also getting a state refund. This is the first time I have done my own taxes, kind of proud of myself. Each new step is a confidence builder.

Today, dang it, I will sew. Tomorrow will be go to the grocery store day. Jerry is adding to my list as I type.

Maryz, you will never ever run out of things to do. Getting new tires is like changing your rotary cutter blade. You don't realize how wonderful it is until you use it. Depending on where you are in the state anything could be in those orchards. Here it's a lot of peaches, almonds and different nuts. But those almonds are what I drive by when I go into town. They don't mesh well with my nose. Happy trailer cleaning day.

Maryq, I was amazed at how easily the turbo tax thing went. I was done in one afternoon. You so could do it. easy peasy. I never got to my sewing room at all. Other than the lotto blocks I have a nephew getting married in August. I love the way Lori's lotto quilt came out and may try that pattern for him. we will see. Viv will be busy when she heals up. No word from KC? no news is good news. Shake the dust off of your feet and move on. yay.

Lyn, love your knobs and your cat pillow. It is a pretty cat. I know I can do what needs to be done, it's just overwhelming right now. Once I tackle each job I will have more confidence in myself. I do want to be as self-sufficient as possible. I don't want to hire it done or ask for help when I don't make the effort first.

Jerry has been getting up a few times a day using his walker. He is really trying to do things but by dinner time realizes he has no energy left. He sleeps most all day and all night. Lots of highs and lows. If the weather warms up I will see if he wants to sit outside. He hasn't been outside since the end of January, mostly due to weather.

Time for me to get moving. Breakfast, shower and then I will disappear into my sewing room. You all have a groovy day,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:50 pm

Good late afternoon, started with a list of 4 patients to see, ended up seeing only one. But just got home. Rain is heavy at times so glad to be safely home.

Chriss goats sound like a good idea, not sure in reality they are. Yea for $61 dollars, better than a kick in the pants so they say. I have been better off the last couple of years with standard deduction also. No sure when I will tackle mine. Next month. Glad to hear Jerry can be up and about some.

Lyn when we put up our shed, we did 10 x 10 as that is as big as you can go without permit. Very nice, love the new handles. Funny how something so simple can make such a difference. Cute pillow.

Maryq glad you have not heard from KC. I understand she needs help but needs to learn to fend for herself some. I do hope she made it safely. OMG my Dad was a big geneology nut too. He didn't necessarily like family reunions though. He was not a social person. Yes Josiah is doing better. Acting 2! Fell and hit his head on a wooden piece of furniture. I told her just to watc him. Nope she took him to the Dr who told her just to watch him, LOL. I will get to UFO's before I kick the bucket. I will need to live to be 150 though!

Jana politicians have to do something for their pay, might as well be make stupid rules. How far are you from Cache Valley. I looked at some pictures, it sure looks pretty there.

Judi 49* in Florida? Never would have thought. I have considered a newer RV too, just don't want the payments. Ours is quite old and really needs overhauled. The neighbors redid their's inside for about $18,000 so who knows. You certainly can't buy one for that.

Lois congrats on getting that quilt done, always feels like such an accomplishment for me when I finish one.

Katy I had a car once that had that stuff you put inside, it is absolutely no good if the tire is shredded! It happened to me on the Benicia bridge. I have no idea what happened but it just went but instead of coming off the outside, it went in towards the car. Burned through a wire so lost my stearing too. Scared me to death. I want a donut tire only!

Flo be careful with that back!

Maryz glad to see you back. I think Josiah is either overdoing it, or his body is just not used to the Spinal fluid being in his abdominal cavity. It is then absorbed into his organs and disposed of that way. Plus he may still have some pressure issues. In about a month, he should be getting another scan to see if the blood clot is disolved and how things are with the shunt. Maybe that will shed some light on things.

I think I will rest this afternoon, headache setting in. Only one chart to d0 and I have time.

Have a lovely evening everyone,

Valerie
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”