Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday February 13, 2024

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Tuesday February 13, 2024

Post by fabricgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:01 am

Good morning,

Well we have snow coming down its suppose to be out of here by 12 .

It's pretty to look at but I know that it's wet so that means it's heavy.

Today I have 1 load of wash and then I will straighten up a go in my room and sew.

Mary continue to have safe travels.
Judi keep soaking up the sun.

Well thats all the news from here.
Enjoy your day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Re: Tuesday February 13, 2024

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:09 am

Good morning,

I didn't mean to get up quite this early. We're crossed into Mountain Time yesterday but our bedroom clock didn't get changed. Dog woke me up, wanting his breakfast. I looked at the clock, mentally adjusted for the time change, and thought "no wonder he was hungry"! But after I got up, turned on furnace (it's 28* here!) my eyes fell on the stove clock. It was 3:45! I'd adjusted the time the wrong way. Arghh.....

LOIS - did you get a lot of sewing done on Sunday? Are you stil working on your Dutton quilt? Yes, Arnie was good in his commercial, but I still liked the cat better! There was even a cat potato in the couch potato commercial!

JANA - happy birthday to you and Sarah! Are you doing anything special today or is the party over? Hope it's a fun, fun day! You never did tell us what kind of cake. I have my virtual mouth all set for white! So, you're ready for baseball season! We were talking about spring training just a few days ago. What team do you root for there in Utah? I don't follow baseball like football, but I do cheer on our Seattle Mariners!

SHARONA - that dance brought tears to my eyes, too! Lots of them! But a special memory, too. What a hassle that Jim lost his wallet! All the replacing now that needs to be done! I'm sorry about your dad. It hurts to see our parents decline like that. Does he live near you? And what a nice doctor you found! Can you keep him?? Now, about that "lump in your stomach"????.....

LORI - I'm sorry about your dad, too! So hard for him, but also for you. I'm sure you can find something fun to take to your retreat. That Kwandi quilting that Judi talked about yesterday would be interesting and not much to pack along. I watched a video on it. Not sure what I'd do with a project like that once I finished it, but it was a step outside the box. And could be done by machine or by hand.

CHRISS - glad your Super Bowl was so super! I'm going to bet Jerry was tired yesterday, though! Did he get his shower? I bet everyone was happy about that! In case Mary Q misses your confusion, KC is moving to Arkansas to live with her brother. Her parents live nearby, too, so she'll be with a lot of family. She is leaving Saturday, Feb 17th. She is taking her cat with her on the plane and a moving truck is hauling her stuff.

LYN - Wish we had your scrap wood for our campfire pit at home. We enjoy sitting around the campfire, especially with friends. They all seem to like it, too. But maybe in Texas heat, a campfire isn't so fun. Especially with dry grass everywhere. I was wondering, given that Texas heat, if you put up a She Shed for sewing, won't it be awfully hot in there unless you insulate it? Or add A/C? And how big are we talking? Maybe we should just consider adding on to the house instead. So sorry for your friend, Carolyn, who broke her hip. Praying she heals quickly and completely. How is your neighbor who was injured last week? If you'd been handing out coffee out on '71', I'd have been grateful!

MARY Q - how was coffee with DP? Did she come up with new ideas for trouble for you two to get into? :lol: What's on your docket for today?

FLO - How is your doily quilt coming along? Is it all finished now? Burritos sound tasty! What all do you put into them? I hope you didn't get snow. My sister is in MO right now as they are traveling home to CO after a stop in KY to see family. They don't need snow in their path.

JUDI - on those hexies, are you just doing any one that is predominantly blue or are you moving, say, from dark blue to light blue? What color is next? And will your color wash be in straight columns or go in angling waves? I'm trying to picture it. Got big plans for the day?

Yesterday (360 miles) was a good travel day except for El Paso. Travel in El Paso is considered "good" if you come through it without actually crashing. What an awful driving nightmare! Heavy construction, heavy traffic, and a broke down semi on the narrow detour clogging up things along with a few cops and a huge wrecker. And it's ALWAYS like that! Today's highway headache will be Tucson, but generally it's not too bad. We will spend the next two nights at Picacho Peak St Park, 30 miles west of Tucson, camped among the Saguaros, one of our favorite campgrounds. We'll have an extra day just to chill and rest and celebrate our 32nd anniversary. We did stop and visit Tina and Frankie yesterday. Always fun! Tina is always laughing and Frankie is such a great guy! Then we went into town to run a few errands - post office, Walmart, DEF, fuel. We got back to the trailer in time for dinner and a nap before bedtime. We were tired! Today's run is about 270 miles I think. A short day!

I don''t think we'll have internet for a few days, so I'll say happy Valentine's day now. I love you all!

mary z
>^+^>

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:34 am

Good morning!

We're not to bad in the cold department, but it's still cold!

No plans for today. Maryz, the cake was white, cheesecake mousse filling, white buttercream frosting. Since it was Gracie's cake too, her BD is the 17th, Grandma opted for her favorite flavor, vanilla, everything!

I have everything back in order here, my kitchen in particular. Every big serving bowl I own was put to use. I used up the few leftovers for our dinner last night, turning them into a lovely chef salad.

Not this season, baseball, but next year, The Oakland A's will be playing here in Utah. Actually, almost across the street from Aaron's house! The A's are moving to Vegas and their new stadium won't be finished, so they are using us as a temporary stopgap home. Whoo hoo! We are excited! What this means is the team I root for, the SF Giants will play here when they visit the A's! I am a die hard Giants fan for all my life. The minor league team that plays here, normally, is building a new stadium and that's where the A's will play. Half of the family are A's fans, and the rest of us are Giants. Makes for interesting times.

So today will be a Batt Cave play day.

Safe journeys and do fun stuff!
Hugs,
Jana

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:03 am

Good sunny 60 morning,,,I sure am soaking up the sun...yestrerday was cloudy and sunny but very windy...this morning it is calm and partly cloudy but 60 is good...I was out on the lanai with coffee already...came in to visit with you.
we hung around the pool yesterday and ate leftovers for supper...then played a rousing game of UNO we havent played that in a long time and it was fun and very competetive...then Donna and GLoria watch a show on tv and I went to bed with my book...I will have to rewind the audio to find iut what I read,,,as I fell asleep and missed a bunch of it...
We are meeting friends who camp for dinner at 4...and thursday we will go to a speakeasy and have a dinner show with Al Capone..and company..it is a gangster hang out and you must knock 3 times on the door and say a password...we dont know the passoword so we shall see how this plays out.. Last time we did something like this if you didnt know the passoword you had to sing the national anthem and it was broadcast all over the bar,,,quite hilarious...also the ladies bathroom had a photo on the wall of Burt Renolds..naked with a towel covering himself...the towel is loose...if you peaked under it,( and a lot of women did) A red light in the bar would flash and an alrm would sound alerting the whole bar of your curiousity. It was a lot of fun...
Mary the hexis are a collection I made of 2 1/2 inch squares...all scraps I set them in the box by color...I am sewing all the blues random;y and will go to green next and add them randomly this will continue till all the rainbow is used...and a quilt of some size is made...I did 1800 hexis total . ( I have more scraps if I need more) I also have a lot of creams and grays to border it...if needed...it is very random...I need hand work when I travel The kawandi quilt would be a good hand project when a sewing machine is impractical to carry...I will put it on my bucket list...and I may get to it maybe,,,it lends itself to a table mat or a runner if you have a primitive look...but a whole quilt could be done...
Lois glad you are feeling better Enjoy your day...everyone have a great day,,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:13 am

Good morning everyone. Went back to Mad Monday yesterday. (Make a Difference) at the Vacaville shop. We are a group of ladies who make charity quilts. All the fabric is donated (or you can use your own) and one of the local quilters quilts them for us. The bindings are all done by machine. We pick whatever pattern and fabric we want. When I was last there I had just 2 borders to put on a quilt so I got that done, Then I shopped! I was Pintrest cruising with a friend and found a pattern called Washboard Road. It looked intriging so I bought it and the fabric. Going to do the black background.

Larger than usual schedule at work this week. They are building up their Saint Helena area business and those patients are all going to me. Then there is a lady in Fairfield who is back on service and she wants me to be her nurse. That is a bit way the other direction but I will fit her in.

Jana that cake sure sounds good. Bit of a Giants fan too but have just lost interest in sports over the last few years. I like it when they win but no longer watch the games. Too many other things on my plate I guess.

Oh Maryz, don't you just hate it when that happens. You are almost on home time! 28* that's kinds cold. We are at 41*. Should get to about 57, rain maybe coming back tomorrow and then bigger storm this weekend. Traveling mercies for the rest of your trip. I know it will be good to get home.

Lois stay safe in that snow.

Womster I talk to everyone in my head too but some days I just don't get here. I try to come first thing in the morning but when I have charting to do, sewing to catch up, chores, etc. I just have to start there. But know that I do thing about everyone everyday. Prayers for your Dad. Lewy Body dementia can be so difficult. Do they have him on any medications to manage the delusions?

Lori maybe just not mentioning your brothers death? It is so heartbreaking to see older people relive events in their lives. We used to do just tell patients so and so was at work, or whatever. My mind keeps my body awake too! A retreat sure sounds fun. I haven't been to one in soo long.

Chriss uhM Jerry did not look 2x to me in the last picture. But you know what, I don't like tight clothing either. I feel like I am sufficating in them. I did not watch the game but will go back and view some of the commercials on YouTube. Budweiser usually has a good one. Not that I drink their beer, or any beer for that matter. We have a gas fireplace. You just have to turn it on! Yes Josiah made it home. I see grandpa posted a picture yesterday on facebook so he was out and about. Looked like he had a goodie in his hand. DH picked up the crib yesterday and will be taking it to them this weekend.

Lyn a sew shed sounds intriguing. Yes will send prayers for your friend. How quickly things can happen.

Well I have to get some cutting done for my mystery class on Saturday and will my schedule the rest of the week, this is my time to do it so best get.

Hope you all have a wonderful, blessed day.

Maryq sure happy KC will be moving to her family. So happy they can look after her.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:06 am

Sunny but 35*. We should warm to 68*, they say.

Happy Birthday Jana!!

Sharona, I had not heard of Lewy body dementia, so looked it up. It's awful and I'm sorry your Dad has it. It must be very hard for your Step Mom. Does your Dad live close by?

Chriss, Did you and Moose get a walk yesterday? It's funny, Amanda and Maddox named their puppy Moose. He's a Shih Tzu/Bichon. I have forgotten, what brand is your Moose? In my mind a picture big Moose and little Moose walking together. :lol:

Lois, How's the new desk and computer working out? Does it have Windows 11?

MaryZ, Can your pets read time? Come on back and we'll find a way to load some wood on the roof of the 5th or in the back of the truck. :lol: We could have a fire, the previous owner left a little pit, but we have a fire ban most of the time. Dang Windows 11. I just touch something and post disappeared, but I tried your CTRL Z and it came back. Maybe I should only post from my phone! Anyway, I was about to say that the Sew Shed will be insulated and finished off inside. It will also have an A/C/heat system. I think adding to the house would be way more expensive. Yesterday I looked at a 12' x 24' Cabin shell with a 4' front porch. Thank you for the prayers for Carolyn, she came thru surgery well and the had her up last night sitting in a chair. Next door neighbor, Chris, is doing better.

Judi, I think you missed one of Mary's questions. Are you starting in a corner and working diagonally or side to side? Enjoy visiting your friends.

Valerie, Thanks for the Josiah update. Sounds like your work plate will be very full.

MaryQ, Looking back, wasn't your life boring before you moved to your new place and have Darn Peggy and others to keep you busy?!!

I have been rather lazy the past week, not getting my day started until noonish. So today, I was up and dressed before 8. I have a list of To Do's on my phone, unless God laughs and has other plans.

Hope y'all have a good day!!
Lyn

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:14 am

Lyn I started off sewing the hexis together in rows but I went off in several directions...I really need to do them in rows and will work on that...xxxooo

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:25 am

Good Morning Everyone!

No sunshine here this morning, but that's ok... I can turn on some lights around here this morning!

Lois... You know, as much as I hate snow, a little bit here and there would be kind of nice. We NO snow at all and it's kind of ugly outside with brown grass and trees with no leaves. Such an odd winter for us. Historically March can be the snowiest month for us, and it's usually that heavy wet stuff! "Snowman Snow" I call it because it's great for snowmen.

Maryz.... Coffee with Peg is always fun... she's a big reader so she brought me some books to read! While she was here her sister called to let us know about a Spring Fling Craft fair so we decided we might as well. I'll probably just bring some of the stuff I made for the Christmas fair and maybe add a few new things. Hope you journey today is an easy one. Glad you guys are going to settle in for a couple days and let the driver relax and unwind. Heavy traffic is bad enough and worse I'm sure pulling a 5th wheel!

Jana..... Sure sounds like next summer (2025) will be interesting at your house. Half cheering for Oakland A's and half for the Giants!!! When the A's move to Vegas, what will the call the team? Nevada A's?? :lol: Vegas A's??

Judi... Oh gosh that sounds like such fun ---to go to that Speak-Easy for dinner!! Funny thing... I remember when Burt Reynolds posed for that picture! :lol: :lol: I think it was in a "Playgirl" magazine!

Valerie... Had to google that Washboard pattern! I found pictures of it with a black background... oh my gosh it's stunning! The one I found showed it with bright yellows and oranges and green and they looked almost Neon against the background. How far does your DD and Josiah live from you? I too, am very happy that KC will be moving. Her folks are in their early 90's and she was afraid she wasn't going to be able to see her Mom. Now she'll only be a few miles away.

Lyn.... Well, not that my life was boring before moving... :lol: :lol: But it sure has been fun living here. Katie next door keeps my in fabric and Peg supplies the books!! Once KC has moved I look forward to being "bored".. though I really never am as there is always something to do. I'm not great at sitting still...

Sharon... Thanks for the reminder... I need to schedule my Medicare Check up. I did get a notice from my clinic the other day. You got 40 Minutes? Usually it's just a couple questions and you're done. Sorry to hear about your Dad. I used to set up meds for patients at Memory Care facilities and often delivered them and would talk to residents from time to time. One gal sat with her coat on and her purse in her hand near a doorway waiting for her son to come pick her up. Another gal walked around all day with a clipboard telling everyone to get ready because Tom Hanks was coming to visit.

Lori.... Sounds like you are going through a lot of the same things as Sharon. Is your Dad living with you? I can remember you mentioning that but wasn't sure if that's how it worked out.

Chriss... Hey I'm with Jerry... I like the loose fitting pants!! Especially around the waist because then it doesn't hurt when you have to bend over! If I could have worn sweat pants or yoga pants to work, I would have! And now that I'm not working.. that's all I wear--oh except if I have to go out in public. Once again, I'm so happy for you guys that your Sunday was a FUN day and that it created lots of happy memories to last you a very long time!

So, I went out to the kitchen this morning to grab my coffee---it's the daily routine-- grab coffee, come here. Only as I approach the counter where the coffee pot is I notice little brown specks all over the counter and in the sink! ANTS!!!! Little tiny brown ones!!! Bugs don't gross me out , but I sure hate cleaning them up and trying to figure out where they are coming from. I had some spray and got rid of some, but think I better run up to the hardware store and get some more Tarro Ant baits! Ants and spiders don't bother me... but I'm very glad I don't live where there are a lot of snakes!!!

Time to hit the shower and get my day started. Think I might get a UFO sandwiched today---sure didn't get to it yesterday.

Wishing you all a Marvelous Monday

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:42 am

Happy birthday Jana. Hope you enjoy a wonderful day with the family, and doing whatever you want.
Lori 8-)

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:52 am

Good morning. It's going to be a beautiful day today.

I so want to get into my sewing room and need to just shove other things to the side so I can do just that. This morning the hospice nurse will be here to make sure Jerry still has blood pressure and a heart beat. When she leaves I will go into town and get a few things. On Jerrys grocery list is jello and canned peaches. The staples of life in his book

Lori, I so wish I could fix your dad. It's awful watching someone you love go through all of this, and it's difficult to feel like the person who causes his pain by having to tell him over and over. What comes to my mind is that even though you have to keep telling him he doesn't remember so the majority of his time is spent not knowing. Not sure that makes sense but it does in my mind. Wish I could be there just to offer a hug.

Sharon, sorry about your dad. I feel bad for your stepmom, she must be a very caring person. Sorry about Jims wallet, hope there wasn't anything really important in it. Glad you found a doctor you like, such a difficult task.

Lois, how does your roof do with the snow load? Last year here they were shoveling snow off of the roof's because they weren't able to accommodate the load. I understand you are supposed to get some crazy weather.

Maryz, glad you and Tina had fun, I like her. Enjoy your anniversary and your rest day. Yes, Jerry slept most of yesterday and he did get his shower. Dang clocks, hope you got them all adjusted, I think you only have one more time zone to account for.?

Jana, Vanilla everything is a great choice. I love a cake with filling in the middle. My favorite is vanilla with strawberries in the middle, just in case I show up in July. I also used some of my big bowls for the super bowl. But have way too many dishes and big things here, I've thought of just purging all the stuff but need to wait on cleaning out everything. Hope it's a wonderful birthday.

Judi, that bar/bathroom/ gangster hangout sounds like lots of fun. what a hoot. Sounds like you are having a nice relaxing time.

Valerie, Jerry is in no way a 2X. As I was sorting boxers I even found some 3X. He's never been that big. I think he just thinks he needs looser fitting bottoms. I cut the elastic in some of his 1X pajamas to see if that helps before I go get 2X anything. If you want beer I have a 6pack in my fridge. Jerry wanted to have a beer with my dad and son and everyone drank pepsi or water. I'll give it to my son's brother next time he comes to give me a hand. So glad that Josiah made it home safely and that he got a goodie. Will you get to go next weekend to help with the crib?

Lyn, I have always thought a portable classroom would be a great she shed. Whatever you pick your she shed will be wonderful. I love that Maddox has a Moose. My moose is part Beagle and part Australian Shephard. At least that is what I was told by the SPCA where we got him. His mom was pure beagle. https://i.postimg.cc/kMpfbPgy/thumbnail ... 2021-2.jpg

Maryq, we used to get to wear sweatpants at work. I worked in the office for a grocery store warehouse. I was at my heaviest while working there. Now I own a pair of yoga type pants and no sweatpants. Those taro bait things are amazing.

And just as I was about to complain that the Hospice nurse was running behind here she came.

You all have a fun day
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”