Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

FRIDAY, January 26th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

FRIDAY, January 26th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:05 am

Good morning,

CHRISS - I'm so glad you have Jerry home with you. I think everyone is more comfortable at home. Hospice is a wonderful organization and it will be a great relief to you to turn much over to them so you can just concentrate on Jerry. Praying for a peaceful journey for you both, my dear friend. 💗

VAL - So glad Josiah is safely in Oakland. But I'm fuming at the doctor in Reno that made those wrong calls! I saw Feb Lotto is posted. Will try to get a few blocks made before we go back to babysitting on Monday.

LYN - what a bummer about your car. But you sure don't want to be in Texas without your A/C! Though, right now I'd be more concerned if the heater didn't work! But the temps are coming . . .

LORI - What projects did you get from Buttermilk Basin? I have two of their books. I don't do much handwork now (except for that never-ending cross-stitched stocking!) because of my arthritis, but I still love the wool!

SHARONA - how ya doin', Sweetie! Hopefully you are better, up and about and enjoying life.

JANA - Yay! Congratulations on your new-found wealth! Spend it wisely! There are some lovely fabrics out there just waiting for you! Which OWL block are you working on now? Do you really think it's wise to allow Yoohoodie out without on-site supervision??

TINA - Do you want to make the Beth Dutton quilt for someone particular or just because?

TINA B - may your hubby heal quickly! How long until he is able to return to IL?

MARY Q - Did you find the fabrics you were looking for? Your quilt is lovely! So nice you had the purrfect fabrics in your stash! Does Kayla know you are making it?

JUDI - since you asked - I often make quilts just because a pattern speaks to me. I have about 60 in rotation at my house. You are just about packed for your trip. Has Ken started yet? :D

LOIS - that is a nice pattern. Very "male-esque" and your fabric choices will be great! Hope your DH's arm is better today.

Yesterday the weather cleared up, we were able to open our door and even sit outside for a while. Then we grilled steaks for supper. I think the rain has gone for a while, anyway. I spent the day building unicorns. I have all four done now and I think I'll put them together today. I decided to skip the geese borders and just use some purple unicorn fabric I have instead. Will be faster, easier, and I think a 4 yr old will like it better. After today my sewing days will be limited to just the few weekends we have left so I'm glad to be able to get at least the twins' quilt tops together. This afternoon I might give the Feb Lotto blocks a try, though I have my "Fox in the Pines" pattern and fabrics out. I want to get a head start on that one for the twins' 6 yr old brother. I'll never get it finished before we leave for home, but I'd like to have some of it done.

Offering prayers for Chriss & Jerry, Josiah, Tina B's DH. May God shield you all with His healing hands.

mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: FRIDAY, January 26th

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:52 am

Good Morning It is damp and dark cloudy again today,,,I dont think the sun will come back till May...It feels like it anyway.
I have all of my clothes piled in the suitcase and it doesnt fit...i will have to sort and repack but it is on a big pile...Ken hasnt even opened a drawer...He did try on a couple of pairs of pants. and shorts. He also said he doesnt like the new crew socks I bought ( Why do I bother)...So I will leave it up to him what he takes...I asked him to take at least a weeks worth so I didnt have to do laundry as much he agreed and said he would get what he needs when we get there,,,
We didnt go to the hockey game as Ken got home late and we were socked in with fog..
I did lay out the geese quilt...and after i get some cleaning done I will try to get to it...I have til Wednesday to make 4 veteran blocks. ( I just got told) so i will try to get to that.
Chris glad you are home...and you can care for Jerry,,,Be sure to ask what services the hospice can provide,,,here they have repite care and volunteers to come an stay with the patient while the primary caregiver gets out of the house,,,even if it is a walk in the park or trip to the quilt shop/ you will need breaks... We continue to pray for your comfort and peace in the days ahead,,,know that much love comes across the miles..
Prayers also for the little Josiah Tinab husband lois's husband and anyone else that needs some prayers,,,
Mary you are whizzing through those quilts...When i get home from vacation I plan on inventory of all my quilts...and the refolding and repacking of them...I have the 2 antique steamer trunks that my grandparent came to this country with all of their posessions. Those are my quilt storage. i have them wrapped in inexpensive muslin and they need to be refolded...I really need to make a list of what i have,,,I have a few in space bags and each year I take them out and they are fine,,,but I do refresh them...Bet you are anxious to see the baby again...
Well I need to get dressed and get coffee and start my chores...It is getting light,,,but still no sun....Have a wonderful day XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Last edited by grammiequilts on Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:56 am

Morning Maryz and all to follow,
Val, so glad Josiah safely in Oakland. I lived in Oakland many years ago. When we had our car car accident in 1984, Joe spent 4 months in Navy hospital on east end of city.
Chriss, my thoughts are with you. What you are going through is heart breaking. Call or text if you need a friendly voice.
Got a lot done yesterday...but a lot left for today. It's very soggy out here. Weather gal explained that all the rain won't help with drought because with ground frozen the water just isn't absorbing like it should. I'm done with soggy.
Flo

patches4

Post by patches4 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:59 am

Good morning all,
Just a quick drive by to say hi and to say Chriss, Jerry and Josiah are in my prayers today and a prayer for everyone to have a good day , being safe and well. Today in Virginia it’s 62 now going to 70 and raining and Illinois it’s 35 with flood watches on rivers because of ice melting, and I remember January to be cold and lots of snow for sledding. I have an old wood and metal gliders sled I used with my kids down the snow packed roads, now my grandkids barely have enough snow and use plastic saucers.
Today will try to finish a stamped cross stitch table runner that was for Valentine’s Day and then begin a Sunbonnet Babies stamped crib quilt for a baby coming soon in a couple of months.
Feel selfish talking about my DH so many have bigger problems are being dealt with by others.
Just wish I could help those in need now. I am hoping Oakland has a Project Linus group to give Josiah a blanket.
I don’t know what’s happened, we grew up to trust Drs and others because they HAD our best interest. Now when we tell Drs something is not right they don’t listen. We had a Dr in Illinois with DH ankle and repeatedly told him it was painful he said give it time then last appointment again it was mentioned and he said that’s what you will have. Hence we’re out in Virginia.
I go home end of February and hubby has PT out here probably 12 weeks will find that out on 21st of February. I’ll come back to help out and go back and forth. This year I can truly say I did not drive in snow and stayed inside.
Praying for all in need.
Need another cup of coffee.
Blessings and love,
TinaB
Patches4

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 am

Good morning!

Still dark, and what everyone is teasingly calling the first fake spring! Most of the snow is gone from my yard as we have been getting rain. But just wait a tad and we'll have more snow.

Yoohoodi behaved yesterday and didn't do any of his escapades. As for that settlement, I got to touch the check and that's about all. Michael is depositing it and that will be that. It's only for long term health care, according to Michael's thinking. So I'll just wait.

I think I have May's OWL out and working on. The main piece is all fused and the instructions are in the main basket where I have the rest. Wheh I'm done with this block, I'll put it in it's bag and then get another out.

So you'll find me in the Batt Cave. Oh, yesterday Kate had her probation interview and passed with flying colors. She's no longer a "probbie'! Now a full fledged firefighter! The department counts time from being in training school and then the rest of the first year, "pulling hose" as they call it.

Many prayers, lots of hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:12 am

Suppose to be partly sunny with a high of 68*. Funny, my phone has the little degree circle but iPad doesn’t.

Jeep was done by 2:30, so I went to Best Buy and found a very nice young man who gave me my laptop back immediately. I asked a young lady and she was not very nice and said I would have to wait, almost 2 hours until my 4:40 appt. I made it that late cause who knew how long the Jeep fix would take.

Tinab , Your DH is just as important to us as anyone else’s. He’s in my prayers for healing. Will you fly or drive back to Illinois?

Chriss , You made the right decision to bring Jerry home. I’m sure he’s more comfortable with you and Moose are right there. Prayers for you both.

Valerie, So glad Josiah is in Oakland with hopefully better Drs. Will you be able to slip over there to check on him? I bet he needs a Great Grandma hug and I’m sure your DD could use a hug from Mom.

There’s a quilt show in Rockport today and tomorrow. I’m going both days, cause 1 friend can’t make it today and she really wants to go, even though she’s not a quilter. It’s Ok because I have a better time one on one. When there’s 2 or more friends it’s harder to see what they’re interested in and want to show you and have time for my own looking and shopping.

May you All have a Blest day.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 am

Good morning Dear Friends

Happy Friday! Hard to believe it IS Friday again already! No sunshine in the sky today, but it's been so warm the last few days that the little bit of snow we had is all gone! We've got a little fog going on here too.

Maryz... I didn't find the exact fabrics I was looking for at Joann, Hello Kitty was easy, but I don't even KNOW what Paw Patrol looks like, I didn't find that. I picked up a little bit of flannel to finish a couple baby blankets I had started and found a good sale on some other stuff for backings. I have to say, I'm really getting disappointed in the quality of Joann fabrics... and the price increases... Flannel is up to $10./yard, even tho it was one sale 40% off. I just know those little twins will loves their new quilts... and I agree a simple border will be so much easier than a bunch of geese! :lol:

Judi.... Once again I think we are under the same weather pattern. While I love it nice and warm, I'm beginning to miss the sun! Good thing I take a Vitamin D tab everyday! When are you leaving? Feb 1? Are you taking any sewing projects along? Hexies? More yo-yos? :lol:

Flo...Isn't that the truth... even tho you feel like you've gotten a lot done, there is still more to do.. and things get added all the time! Yes, I thinkin' we're going to have a pretty dry summer up here too. My Dad always worried about the farmers when we had a dry winter like this.. no snow to melt into the ground! (He built grain elevators and feed mills) But we have March coming and that can be the snowiest month of all up here!

Tinab... Here's what I think happened to Dr..... #1 Lawyers, #2 Insurance companys. Lawyers because they are ready to sue somebody and Insurance companies because they make the rules of what they will cover or not. AND like any profession, there are just some lazy doctors too! That's just my 2cents after spending many years dealing with insurance!

Jana... Oh boy ... extra $$$$ Probably wise of Michael to put it away,... but still, my theory has always been "Spend a little, save a little" I will give my DEX credit for making sure we saved/planned for retirement or I'd be living in someone's basement instead of a place of my own. Congratulations to Kate! I watched a lot of "Chicago Fire" last night -- :lol:

Lyn.... One of the questions I'm going ask when/if I get to heaven...Why are there so many cranky people? Do you sometimes wonder if they purposely walk around with a pebble in their shoes, just to be crabby and unhappy? But I'm glad you were able to get your laptop back without waiting for two hours!!!

Chriss... Oh dear Friend... my heart aches for you... so many thoughts must be running through your head. But I can assure you, that you have made a good decision to bring hospice in. As Judi said, there are many services they can provide and expenses they can cover. Depending on the diagnosis that they have assessed him for, many of his medications will be provided. When My Mom had hospice, she had a team.. An RN, a social worker and a Chaplain. I can't say enough good things about the care she received. They were all truly saints on earth.

Plan of the day today will be get Kayla's quilt sandwiched and pinned. (My little Kayla is now 30!!) and finish washing the fabric I bought yesterday. Katie went out and retrieved more fabric from her relative, another 8 garbage bags full, so I'll see what she has set aside for me. This evening I'm going out the kids, and Tom and Viv to celebrate their 20th Wedding Anniversary. So I'll take my shower later this afternoon so I can be sparkly clean when it's time to go.

All during my day, since I'm here along and don't talk to anybody... I talk to God a lot and though He Might be sick of hearing from me, I carry on and ask to be kind to all my friends in need of His Grace!

Wishing you all Fantastic Friday

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 am

Good morning everyone 🌞
Chriss, I believe you made the right decision to bring Jerry home too. I've heard wonderful things about Hospice so I think you both are in good hands 🙏🙏🙏
Maryz, the Beth Dutton quilt will be for me, I plan on using my embroidery machine to do all the names and other things in the solid blocks. I just need to find the fabrics, I don't have what I need and what.
Valerie, prayers for Josiah, breaks my heart that the first Dr was wrong and all this might have been avoided. 🙏🙏🙏
Maryq, I agree, we never know if we're getting a C grade Dr or an A++ one, it can make a difference.
Tinab, prayers for you and your DH, traveling back and forth will be a lot. 🙏🙏
You all have a wonderful day! Prayers for all in need 🙏
Tina

womster

Post by womster » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:59 am

Good morning!

Maryz - feeling so much better, thank you. Jim is sick now, but his is in his head whilst mine went straight to my lungs. You are a sewing machine! Get it?! lol

Judi - what a bummer the sun keeps hiding from y'all. Too bad Ken didn't like his socks. Happy packing.

Flo - I agree - soggy is not fun.

TinaB - sorry to hear about your DH's ankle problems. Please never feel like they are unimportant - As Lyn said, he's as important as everyone else. We are here for you both.

Jana - yay for Kate!

Lyn - have a great time at the quilt show.

Maryq - sparkly clean - I love that description! Happy 20th to Tom and Viv. We also had hospice for my mom (42 years ago) and I still remember their kindness and compassion.

Chriss - prayers for all y'all.

Valerie - I pray Josiah is in good hands now and can begin to heal.

Tina - so lovely to see you.

My hair cut got cancelled so I'm sitting here with long, dirty hair. :lol: I still need to get my chores done, but don't think that will be happening any time soon. Oh well - not like they're going anywhere... Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:45 am

Good morning, rough night but I am here. DD really needs to sleep. She texted me most of the night upset that they couldn't get an IV in Josiah, they were taking too long, why do they have to be in there every 30 min, and the list goes on. I will get over there tomorrow for about 6 hours. She has to go home for work on Sunday. We are trying to come up with plans so somebody can be there with him. This is my weekend to work the weekend job so that sucks. The plan for today is an MRI at 11 am to make definitive plans for the surgery. He is currently not allowed to eat or drink in case they can get surgery scheduled today. They are trying to fit him in. I did tell her to ask if there were other options. He also has quite a pressure sore on the back of his head from the collar (padding would have been nice) and it is beginning to look infected so I told her to have them look at that too. I spent a good part of yesterday in tears over this whole situation which didn't help a bit so head up and trying to look to the future.

Maryz glad to hear your weather is better. We may get rain today but if so I don't think it will be much. Can't wait to see the unicorns. They sound adorable.

Judi you know the song, "The sun will come out tomorrow". Very important song for many. My husband does things last minute too and then wonders why he doesn't have what he needs. I used to pack for him but have decided he's a big boy now, he can pack himself. Wow steamer trunks, my grandpa used to have one of those. I wonder what happened to them?

Flo you would not want to live in Oakland now. The crime has gotten out of control. Are you referring to Oaknoll Navy Hospital? It is closed now. Not sure who if anybody is using the building.

TinaB I don't know if they have a project Linus. DD sent a picture this AM and he has a warm fuzzy looking green blanket. He was asleep and looked peaceful. I am trying not to focus on the mistakes for now and prayers this is the turn around he needs. I agree with Lyn, DH is very important and we all pray for everyone here.

Jana congratulations to Kate. I am sure she will have a wonderful career.

Lyn I want to go to the Quilt show! It's only 28 hrs, can you wait?

Maryq so sorry you didn't find your fabric. I see there is some on Etsy. Have a great time at the celebration. God is never sick of hearing from you! El's Angels are special people and he listens to us extra good. I am sure of it!

Tina happy sewing today.

Sharona can you get rescheduled?

Chriss how are things today? Glad you have hospice support. Keep in touch and check in when you can. The nurse visits are usually about an hour long is all. They come and do an assessment, change orders if need be, and provide a lot of education to the families as it's really the families who provide the hands on care. Will continue prayers for peace and comfort during this transitioning period.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”