Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

MONDAY, Jan 22nd

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

MONDAY, Jan 22nd

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:05 am

Good morning,

We've got rain! Looks like plenty of it, too. I may not set foot outside this 29' trailer today! Guess I will just have to sew, sew, sew the day away. 🌧️☔🧵🪡

CHRISS - Lois had a great idea! A shower chair or even just a stool would be very helpful. I picked a nice one up in a thrift store for $4 just to have on hand after we had 3 overnight guests who really needed one. But even just a plastic lawn chair would work in a pinch. There are also poles that go from floor to ceiling with handholds so patients can pull themselves out of their chair, bed, tub, etc. They work very well. Were you able to get into your sewing room yesterday?

LYN - thanks for the update on Kathy. Did you spend those $$$? The eagles nest is on 29, just west of 1431. When we were there, there was a large pull off along the river where you could watch them. You can Google Llano Eagles Nest and info pops up. There are Eagles cruises you can take this time of year, too, on the lake (I think Lake Buchanan?) which might be a nice thing to do with your guests.

MARY Q - a week or two after washing, smell your fabric again. Sometimes persistant smells can return after a period of time. I do get up early, though I'd rather it not be quite this early - 0400. But it gives me my 7 hours and I rarely sleep past that. I go to bed about 9pm. The fur kids don't help. They watch to see if I even twitch and then the barking and meowing starts. 🐶😺

VALERIE - the quilt is lovely - each block different because each of us is different. God bless! What good luck to run into your old boss. Do you think this might lead to a new and better job? Thank you for the picture of little Josiah. Considering all he's gone through, he does look pretty good. Such big beautiful eyes! He must be very confused about what's been happening to him.

JUDI - happy birthday to your baby boy! They grow up so fast, don't they? My oldest, Lara, will be 52 in 2 weeks. I read in bed, too, but tend to fall asleep within a couple pages. Did you make any progress on your geese yesterday?

JANA - You're getting a new laptop, too? If Michael is doing the research, this may take a while. As a network engineer, Bill is also very picky about computers. It can take him weeks, even months, to do all his research before he makes a decision. Are you able to get any sewing done lately?

LOIS - did you get your Cats all quilted?

Yesterday I got half my cats in pj's done and actually sewn together. I was only going to do the blocks and save the assembly for home, but decided to go for the entire top. It's going to be cute! Since we're off babysitting this week, I plan to finish cats and start on the Unicorn quilt. These quilts have been "comissioned" by Autumn for the 4 yr old twin girls of her friend, Leah (who received the Lemur quilt at Christmas). I also need to make a quilt of foxes for their 6 yr old brother. These kids LOVE quilts!

Hope everyone is staying dry, warm, and safe from all the weather that is crossing the country! We are hoping the rain clears this afternoon so we can get out and walk with the dog.

mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: MONDAY, Jan 22nd

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:53 am

Good morning, We had a fun day yesterday I actually sat and watched 3/4 of the football game...Detroit Lions won and it was pretty exciting, We spent the day with Navy, and she is an amazing baby...talks a mile a minute,,,some you can understand and some you cannot.She is 17 months old but still wont walk much a few steps and she stops looks around and sits. It is just easier to crawl...She is learning so fast,,,knows about 5 colors and can say them....( lello is yellow, boo is blue etc) A very happy baby...Pizza was good and then we came home about 630...and I watched the Red Wing win too...we sent the 2 Tampa Bay teams home with losses...
Today I have a hair appt at 10 and then trying to decide whats for supper...Maybe a pot of chili...maybe chicken soup...we have another winter advisory for tonight again...freezing rain who knows , I will try to work on the geese tonight and maybe sew a few veterans blocks...I have decided not to do any more spring cleaning I will clean when we are ready to go...I will do each room to make sure they are buttoned up. It s nice to come back after a month and have the house clean...My son will check in and water my plants...mail will be stopped and held til we get back...I haven't finaled the packing yet but I know I am taking too much already,,,,
I have half a row on the geese to finish then putting the sashing and rows together
Hope you all are having a great day,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:16 am

JUDI - congratulations on your Lions! I was rooting for them! What fun to spend good quality time with Navy. She is adorable. And already knowing colors! Smart little girl. She must get it from great gramma! Our grandson, Alec, didn't walk until 16 months and didn't say much until he was 2 yrs. He had an older brother who did it all for him! :lol: As for packing, I always pack too much! I put out everything I WANT to take, then force myself to put half back in my closet. And I still take too much! And every trip I swear I'm going to take less. But do I listen to myself?? Nooooo...

I see QIAD has Cats in PJ's pattern on 30% off sale with free shipping in case Lois and I have tempted any of you. It's really a fun pattern and not so involved as some of Hartman's patterns. Also, there was a lot of talk yesterday about passwords. Q must have been listening because today, they are offering a Password keeper on sale. Coincidence? I think not. :lol:

mz

velvet

Post by velvet » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:00 am

GOOD MORNING TO ALL.
Winter has been good for us here, its cold for a few days and should hit 60 -70 later in the week. Rain during then too. Of well, I'll suffer thru it by sewing. Oh, the pain. LOL
Fran, my ddil, and I are going to Michaels to search for wood (balsa) heart cutouts. She wants to add shells and ribbons. She has a great imagination for these things.
Tomorrow is a small qov at vets cafe. Always a lot of fun.
I hope everyone has a warm and peaceful day.
Diane

MARY I was given yards of muslin that has that musty smell-I washed in hot water( only a 1 foot piece but when it came out of the drier it looked like an accordion. What did you use as soap and how did it dry. It is really heavy muslim.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:17 am

Morning
Yesterday was busy! First church, then Knights of Columbus meeting and luncheon, then off to a birthday party for a friend's granddaughter. The birthday girl turned 5. I made her a tooth pillow and llama. She pulled the tooth out of gift bag and screeched and snuggled it. Thinking of it makes my heart smile.
Today we are having freezing rain. So not leaving house. Temp today will hit upper 30's and warmer tomorrow... so today will be catching up with housework and maybe stew for supper.
Stay warm everyone...warmer days are coming!
Flo

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:53 am

Good morning!

Dark outside still and slightly warmer. Don't know what today will hold except some laundry.

I'm hoping to sew and play in my Batt Cave. As for my new laptop, Michael is a dinosaur when it comes to changing things, especially operating systems on a computer. He has many programs that uses old time cds and dvds and these new laptops don't come with that hardware to read them. So that's a huge bug a boo and complaint. It could be a day or more likely months before he resolves all this. Meanwhile, I just keep using my old computer but not yet about playing with my new Cricut. Most likely, the new Cricut will be obsolete by the time he gets me a new computer!

Chriss - I have a shower bench -stool - and it's very handy for us. Before Michael was released from his heart surgery, the hospital made me a list of what I had to have here, otherwise, Michael wouldn't be allowed to come home here. He would have needed a rehab center for a few weeks. I became very adept at giving showers and dressing my patient! We've gotten past most of the instability, but I am till close by now as he does things. A just in case. I found mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, which is now Overstock. Our major problem now is Michael forgets where he left his cane! It needs a air tag so I can find it!

Well, time to get laundry going,

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:46 am

Good morning Girls

Happy Monday!! I think are finally out of the deep freeze here. I so hope it lasts!

Maryz...One nice thing about crummy weather, Rain or snow or cold, is that we have a good excuse to stay inside and sew! And some of you, that don't have ADD :lol: :lol: (like me) are actually able to finish things!! Good idea to check the fabric again in a week or two! A lot of it is going out in the garage--thinking the cold will help, but some will be inside. Katie is probably going back for more on Thursday

Judi... Little Navy is 17 months already!!! YIKES!! We were just oohing and ahhhing sweet baby cheeks yesterday! So now that the Lions have won, will they play KC in another play off game? I don't know diddly about football. What day are you leaving for Florida? Is it about a 2-3 day drive from MI?

Diane... OH take me to Michael's with you!!! So much fun stuff there, nothing that I need of course, but fun to look at. Katie and I had various formulas for getting the smell out. I found Oyxclean ODOR blaster (a powder in a container with a purple cover) with regular detergent, worked pretty good. Katie used Washing Soda, Borax, laundry deter And White Vinegar in the rinse cycle. I used a lot of vinegar too. For some of the fabric, I added a little bit of liquid Febreeze to a spray bottle of water. I hand washed a zillion charm packs in DAWN and Oxyclean, but lesson learned, next time wear rubber gloves--it really beat up my hands!

Flo... Isn't it just so gratifying when you give a gift and you get a reaction like that! For sure it warms the heart and makes it all worthwhile.

Jana.... Yup, that's what I've run into with my new computer... a lot of my old programs (that are probably obsolete won't work) My new computer doesn't even have a CD drive so You can't even add a program from a disk. I love Print Shop and use it all the time, and I could buy the newest version, but that's not cheap! So I go back and forth between the two computers. I bought an external CD drive but that doesn't always want to work either! I have a Silhouette Cameo, and that does run much better on the new computer.

Chriss....Do you have a Walmart close by? No Target tho right? I tell you, it was pretty handy just to pull up into the parking lot, hit a button on my phone and have them bring groceries out to me. I feel kind of lazy about it, but I just wasn't up to the whole "Shower and be pretty" to go out in public. I threw on a hat and called it "good enough" Down the line, it might be a good option for you. Prayers for Jerry all day every day!

I should probably get my butt in gear.. need a shower today for sure! This afternoon I have an association meeting and as I am the secretary I need to be there. It's right next door at Katie's so it's an easy "drive" :lol: Am expecting a call from KC's Care Coordinator this morning too, as I think in some ways she is deteriorating--- memory issues and other mental health issues. Long long long story! She's talking about moving to Arkansas to live with her older brother, and I'm strongly encouraging it. Told her I'd help her when it comes to packing up what she wants to take along.

So I'll go, grab more coffee and check in with y'all later!
Happy Monday!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:30 am

Just so ya know, the Detroit Lions will be coming to play my 49ers on Sunday night. The Kansas City Chiefs travel and play Baltimore Ravens earlier that same Sunday. Superbowl will be on February 11th and if my 49ers prevail , there will be a Superbowl party/ BD celebration at my house. Aaron has his marching orders for the brisket to be smoked.

Sorry Judi, but GO 49ers!

Jana

womster

Post by womster » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:31 am

Good morning!

Just popping in to say I am still kicking, although they are very small kicks. :lol: Wish I could visit but I have a week's worth of chores to go through. I am so ding dang tired I'll probably only get to a couple of them, but it's all good. Much love to my quilty peeps. xoxo

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:46 am

Good morning. It rained all night and is still raining this morning.

Maryz, that cat pattern is on sale on QIAD again. the kids will just love those quilts. There are eagles around here too, near Bass Lake. they certainly are majestic aren't they.? I saw that password keeper and thought, how many erasure or cross outs of the old password would there be before the book was completely full.

Judi, your post made me laugh. Your Navy and my Jerry could carry on quite the conversation, sounds like they both speak Chinese. I'm having a time understanding everything Jerry says too. This is where God inserts humor.

Diane, hope you find what you are looking for at Michels. Seems that when I have been shopping lately I haven't been able to find anything. I was looking into cross stitch but seems that none of the stores are carrying much of that anymore.

Flo, kids shrieking with delight is what I miss about having little kids around. Your story made me smile.

Jana, I will get the chair for the shower. I just don't want to buy too many things because I don't know how long I will need it. Jerry has passed up using his cane, but has one just in case. He's been using an old fashioned walker but his brand new blue walker was just delivered. Very soon I will go out and get it.

Maryq, the nearest Target and Walmart are 30 miles away, and 30 miles back. That's an hour of travel. I do have to go and pick up Jerry's perscriptions this week and will pick up anything I need, but I don't need much. There are 4 items on my grocery list and none of them are necessary.

Sharon, I also have some chores to do and other than the absolute necessities they can just wait. hope yours can wait a little longer too.

Well, guess I need to make myself some breakfast. You all have a fun day,
Chriss.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”