Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SATURDAY, January 20th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SATURDAY, January 20th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:41 am

Good morning,

No babysitting today. In fact, no babysitting for several days. Kids are off for the weekend and other grandparents will be here next week unless their plans change. They are driving from GA and will stay in a motel. Autumn says they won't be babysitting so Antonio will be entertaining them for five days while she goes to work. So - today is groceries and some cleaning for us. Then some sewing!

LORI- I'm so glad you enjoyed your class and now have a new skill. I'm sorry your dad's memory has slipped so far. I hope you are able to resolve the situation. How is your DB doing? And will he continue to live in your dad's house? Do you have any other siblings to help out?

CHRISS - saying a prayer for Jerry and one for you, too. Things aren't sounding very good. Isn't he scheduled to have a scan soon? You want a little girl story? Here is a kind of funny one. Peanut allergies have gotten a lot of press lately. So Mom & Dad wanted to try peanut butter on Amara and decided go to the ER parking lot and give her her first taste just in case of a reaction. So they got parked and as Aut gave her a little bit on her tongue, Antonio got out of the front seat and into the back with them. As Amara was hesitantly exploring this new taste, her eyes went wide and she started gasping and going into a panic. Then Autumn's eyes went wide and SHE started gasping and going into a panic. She was just about to grab Baby and run for the ER when she realized what was wrong. Antonio had put on a watch cap before he got back into the car. Amara didn't recognise him with the hat and it scared her. He took it off, she settled down, loved the peanut butter, but is still scared of him in the hat, even if she watches him put it on. :lol:

LOIS - so Mary Q said you were going to have snow up until 3pm yesterday. How close was she? Did you get your cats finished? How did you quilt it? I'll be working on my cat blocks today. I won't assemble the top until we get home. I'm hoping I can get Bill to quilt it for me as he has a computerized pattern of cats. If he doesn't, I'll just do a freehand meander.

JUDI - I was going to suggest, 'wouldnt it be funny if some of your sewing stuff accidentally found its way into Ken's suitcase'. Looks like you may have that covered! lol! No, Antonio doesn't test for anything but Covid and he's relaxed some on that. But he does ask that anyone coming to visit be current on all vaccines, including flu and RSV. We think he's a bit over the top but it's not open for debate so we don't even try. His house, his baby, his rules and we're here such a short time.

LYN - what does it mean that your water supply is at 29%? Because of weather? low resevoir? I know Lake Travis here in Austin is down to about that much. And I agree with you - There is more to raising babies than protecting them from disease. They need socialization and also just to see the world. I know nothing about computers. And since they were Bill's career, I don't have to, but I'd be sunk without him. It seems in today's rapidly changing world, 8 yrs is a long life for a computer. How fun to be able to hunt for property for your almost SIL. What state/area will you be looking?

JANA - sounds like everything is coming up roses at your house! Trundle bed, trash, no snow... What is Stu doing these days? Is he still staying at Sarah's house? And more Molly developments?

MARY Q - yep, my IT guy was able to fix my confuser. Turns out there was an update that hadn't been installed yet. You know Microsoft - "you vill install this you vill like it." That is a LOT of fabric you are getting involved in! What fun!! Looking forward to your R/W/B swap! Early enough to get it finished and draped over the couch by July 4th! Or dare I hope Memorial Day?

VALERIE - how is Josiah doing?

Has anyone heard from Suzette or Kathy?

Yesterday was a fun day with Ms Boots. She is on her feet a lot now and starting to stand unassisted. She really wants to walk and it won't be long. Since the floor is 2/3 hardwood she slips if she has sleepers with footies in them so she is barefoot most of the time. Walks along the furniture or if you hold her hands. Plays well by herself, but we discovered she LOVES dancing! Even if she's just sitting playing with toys, she will bounce around to the beat of music. We play 60's music and dance with her and she falls asleep in about 2 songs. I'm getting pretty good at hopping the furniture barriers in the doorways. Babysitting is a good workout for me! The baby gates never arrived yesterday but I'm sure they'll be there and in place by the time we go back, a week from now.

Today will be picking up groceries, then some cleaning. Once all the chores are done I plan to work on my Cats. Since we'll be off babysitting for a week, we want to go visit our friend, Bob, who is camped nearby for a couple of weeks. We'll see him this weekend or Monday.

Today is the memorial service in Fairbanks for my brother's son. I talked to Gene and he says he hole in his heart and in his life is a big one. He's lost 3 of his 7 children plus his wife. Even his dog died some months ago. He could use a prayer. Gene is tough and he'll go on, but this will take a toll on him.

Happy weekend to all!

mary z
>^+^<

purrfect-lady

Re: SATURDAY, January 20th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:45 am

purrfect-lady wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:41 am
Good morning,

No babysitting today. In fact, no babysitting for several days. Kids are off for the weekend and other grandparents will be here next week unless their plans change. They are driving from GA and will stay in a motel. Autumn says they won't be babysitting so Antonio will be entertaining them for five days while she goes to work. So - today is groceries and some cleaning for us. Then some sewing!

LORI- I'm so glad you enjoyed your class and now have a new skill. I'm sorry your dad's memory has slipped so far. I hope you are able to resolve the situation. How is your DB doing? And will he continue to live in your dad's house? Do you have any other siblings to help out?

CHRISS - saying a prayer for Jerry and one for you, too. Things aren't sounding very good. Isn't he scheduled to have a scan soon? You want a little girl story? Here is a kind of funny one. Peanut allergies have gotten a lot of press lately. So Mom & Dad wanted to try peanut butter on Amara and decided go to the ER parking lot and give her her first taste just in case of a reaction. So they got parked and as Aut gave her a little bit on her tongue, Antonio got out of the front seat and into the back with them. As Amara was hesitantly exploring this new taste, her eyes went wide and she started gasping and going into a panic. Then Autumn's eyes went wide and SHE started gasping and going into a panic. She was just about to grab Baby and run for the ER when she realized what was wrong. Antonio had put on a watch cap before he got back into the car. Amara didn't recognise him with the hat and it scared her. He took it off, she settled down, loved the peanut butter, but is still scared of him in the hat, even if she watches him put it on. :lol: Image

LOIS - so Mary Q said you were going to have snow up until 3pm yesterday. How close was she? Did you get your cats finished? How did you quilt it? I'll be working on my cat blocks today. I won't assemble the top until we get home. I'm hoping I can get Bill to quilt it for me as he has a computerized pattern of cats. If he doesn't, I'll just do a freehand meander.

JUDI - I was going to suggest, 'wouldnt it be funny if some of your sewing stuff accidentally found its way into Ken's suitcase'. Looks like you may have that covered! lol! No, Antonio doesn't test for anything but Covid and he's relaxed some on that. But he does ask that anyone coming to visit be current on all vaccines, including flu and RSV. We think he's a bit over the top but it's not open for debate so we don't even try. His house, his baby, his rules and we're here such a short time.

LYN - what does it mean that your water supply is at 29%? Because of weather? low resevoir? I know Lake Travis here in Austin is down to about that much. And I agree with you - There is more to raising babies than protecting them from disease. They need socialization and also just to see the world. I know nothing about computers. And since they were Bill's career, I don't have to, but I'd be sunk without him. It seems in today's rapidly changing world, 8 yrs is a long life for a computer. How fun to be able to hunt for property for your almost SIL. What state/area will you be looking?

JANA - sounds like everything is coming up roses at your house! Trundle bed, trash, no snow... What is Stu doing these days? Is he still staying at Sarah's house? And more Molly developments?

MARY Q - yep, my IT guy was able to fix my confuser. Turns out there was an update that hadn't been installed yet. You know Microsoft - "you vill install this you vill like it." That is a LOT of fabric you are getting involved in! What fun!! Looking forward to your R/W/B swap! Early enough to get it finished and draped over the couch by July 4th! Or dare I hope Memorial Day?

VALERIE - how is Josiah doing?

Has anyone heard from Suzette or Kathy?

Yesterday was a fun day with Ms Boots. She is on her feet a lot now and starting to stand unassisted. She really wants to walk and it won't be long. Since the floor is 2/3 hardwood she slips if she has sleepers with footies in them so she is barefoot most of the time. Walks along the furniture or if you hold her hands. Plays well by herself, but we discovered she LOVES dancing! Even if she's just sitting playing with toys, she will bounce around to the beat of music. We play 60's music and dance with her and she falls asleep in about 2 songs. I'm getting pretty good at hopping the furniture barriers in the doorways. Babysitting is a good workout for me! The baby gates never arrived yesterday but I'm sure they'll be there and in place by the time we go back, a week from now.

Today will be picking up groceries, then some cleaning. Once all the chores are done I plan to work on my Cats. Since we'll be off babysitting for a week, we want to go visit our friend, Bob, who is camped nearby for a couple of weeks. We'll see him this weekend or Monday.

Today is the memorial service in Fairbanks for my brother's son. I talked to Gene and he says he hole in his heart and in his life is a big one. He's lost 3 of his 7 children plus his wife. Even his dog died some months ago. He could use a prayer. Gene is tough and he'll go on, but this will take a toll on him.

Happy weekend to all!

mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:49 am

Good morning!

Looks to be a nice day here. We've warmed up quite a bit, above refrigerator temperatures!

The other day I was running Yoohoodi getting all the carpet vacuumed. I needed to send him home, back to his base station and he just ran through the house, not obeying that command. We always tease that this vacuum is a disobient 2 year old. So we fussed and finally turned off the robot and carried it back manually to the base station. It's then, we noticed that the base station indicator light was off. Humm, we thought that maybe one of us humans, living in this house somehow turned it off. So after being frustrated, we turned everything back on and made sure that Yoohoodi was charging, to be ready to use again. OK, now yesterday, sent the command to start cleaning, which Yoohoodi did. Ran through his normal pattern and gathered up all the dust bunnies, then when his dust chamber was full, went to the base station to empty it. Worked fine and as usual, he came back out to do more of the house. I check on the app, the battery life, just to judge how much longer Yoohoodi will run. I watched it get down quite low and expected the robot to go back to the base station to charge. He just kept running, so like the previous day, I sent the command to return to base. Again, like the previous day, he ignored me! So Michael went in to where the base is kept, my laundry room. The base was turned off! Again! Now we both knew for a certain fact that neither of us were in the laundry room and we didn't turn off the base. In fact, the switch is in the back of the base station, making it rather difficult to reach for us humans! Yoohoodi was managing to turn off his base station himself! When this silly robot dumps all the dust bunnies, he backs in to the base to make contact and the base turns on and removes all the stuff gathered. Well, he bumps the station and being on my linoleum floor, the base slides a bit, getting shoved back against the tall baseboards right there. Yoohoodi was the culprit in turning off his base! Just like a 2 year old, he didn't want to go to bed! So we've solved that problem and added a small spacer block, so if the base moves, it won't reach the baseboards. Oh, the things that entertain old people in this house! LOL!

We might make the run to Costco and about a mattress. Other than that I'm sewing and later watching my 9ers play tonight.

Stay safe, stay warm,
Hugs,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:06 am

Good morning,
Well we went to our dr apt finally got out of there about 2 1/2 hours later I think we were a double booking because we canceled last Friday due to our washer.
I dont think we got as much snow a they anticipated so i will say it was about 2" .
I didn't finish the cat quilt yet but I should be done with the quilting this weekend.

Mary Amara has grown she is a beautiful little girl.

Jana that is a funny story your yohodi is having fun with you and Michael.

Well that's all the news here everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:14 am

Morning
Yesterday kids made supper for us all, fajitas with all the trimmings! After supper Joe & DS1 went to pick up some cabinets off Facebook for DDIL to put her crafting stuff in.
Still cold, but not as cold. At end of cold snap. Tomorrow is church then off to a friend's b-day party.
Today is a kick back day.
Flo

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:52 am

Good Morning, very cold again 2 here. I didnt check the wind chill it really doesnt matter if you go out all the heavy winter gear goes on. Our hockey game was cancelled yesterday the compressor died at the rink. They had all the doors opened to try and keep the ice cold...if the Ice goes down in a rink it is a major catastrophe, All the lines and numbers are painted ON the ice...so a melt mean all the lines and graphics run into puddles and have to be redone at a major expense most ice rinks cannot afford. So it as an emergency for them IT IS NOT THE RINK KEN TAKES CARE OF. Ken works for a city run rink so they spend money and this rink where Ryker plays is city run also. But hockey is a big money maker. And completely booked. sad for them. and the kids who had games and tournaments scheduled for this weekend. hope they can keep their ice...and get repairs.
I have a lot of clothing ready to pack and I am down to 4 pairs of shoes...I have a pair of white tennies that somehow yellowed of the months since I wore them Not sure why but I will work on them this week. oxy clean is my go to.
I did let my ADD kick in again yesterday. I cleaned my sewing cabinets...I have so much stuff that is in the cabinet where I sit,,,everything with in reach,,,So i sorted all the little boxes of stuff on the shelves and got rid of and put in other places...I had 14 screw drivers of different sizes in a box and and 8 pairs f old scissors in another,, I found 6 pks of various sewing machine needles all over the place..3 pairs of tweezer and an entire box of various frixion pens and marking pens...much of this stuff went on the trash can..the rest is neatly sorted and the shelves washed,, It looks so nice now...I moved on to the rolling cart and cleaned that too...all this because I couldnt find a second quarter inch foot. We wont even discuss how many feet I have for my 2 machines,,,
Mary Amara is so cute so happy you shared a photo with us,,,Have a fun week but sadly without her to babysit.
Flo if my kids made dinner and brought it to me I think I would be in heaven,,Lucky you..glad you are warming up/
Lois cant wait to see the finished quilt. What is your next project,,,Does anyone here make a quilt just because,,I have a closet full of quilts I made because I liked them with no one in mind,,,
Hope you all have a great day,,,We have brilliant sunshine today but very very cold...I have laundry going,,,and will run to the store for football sunday food...we will spend the day with our oldest son...it is his 57th Birthday,,,,I have a son that old....geez XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:15 am

Good morning Girls

It's a whopping 7 Below here this morning... and just like that I've decided I'm NOT going out to get groceries today after all!! I really need to, but dang it's cold! I'm too old for this!!! Supposed to get up to 20 tomorrow.. so I'll wait another day!

Maryz... Gosh that little girl is just so stinkin' cute! How could you just not want to snuggle those sweet cheeks and zerber that little tummy! Do you know zerber is? I'm know you won't be seeing her for a little while, but now you will have a chance to rest up a bit and do a little visiting with Bob. So far, I've washed about 90 yards of fabric myself, give or take, not including some small pieces and maybe 5 charm packs and some FQ's. There's a completely finished quilt top that I am going to try to carefully wash today. Katie has done over 100 and has more to go. Now the problem comes in.... where do I PUT it all! Some of it will be perfect for pillowcases--a little thinner and softer, so I may cut up a bunch of those.

Jana... You know, sometimes I think those automatic devices do just have a mind of their own! I tell Alexa to play my music every morning, but sometimes when I tell her to turn it off, she doesn't listen to me!! They are pretty handy things to have---she'll tell me the weather when I ask, how many miles it is from here to there, and with the proper plugs, she will turn lights on when I ask! Now, if I could just get here to wash floors, I'd have it made!!

Lois... Have you gotten much snow this year at all? What's normal for you guys? Last year I had a 3 foot drift by my front door, and our roads were plowed almost every other day. This year, the plows have only come once---they only come if we get 2", which we barely got!! Thing is, we have to pay the plow company even if the don't plow!! Hope all was good for you guys at the Dr.s office.. all good lab reports?

Flo... Fajitas? Nummy... I've made myself enchilada's before, but never fajitas.. I should google up a recipe! What kind of crafting does your DDIL do. Isn't it great to find something you can repurpose! I look at stuff like that all the time on facebook!

Judi... Oh my gosh, I can just imagine what a catastrophe that would be to have a big ice rink melt!!! And I'm glad it wasn't Ken's rink!!! your sewing cabinet drawers sound like mine... a little bit of this and a little bit of that here and there and everywhere!! I try to keep at least ONE somewhat organized with a little divided thingee---needles in one, extra feet in one section... but that next drawer down has all sorts of things shoved in it---a flashlight, pipe cleaners, odd bits of tape. Actually that might be a good "couch project" to clean out those drawers--(couch project are things I do in the evening while I watch TV.

Chriss... Most definitely will keep Jerry in thoughts and prayers. I am so sad to hear he is not doing well. Are they going to do another scan in the near future? Now why on earth is a red walker more expensive... that's just silly!!

Lori... Such a tough thing, to find a place for Dad. When we needed to find a safe place for my Mom--she didn't have dementia issues-- we were lucky because, as I worked in a Long Term Care Pharmacy, I knew the good ones---and the ones I wouldn't send my dog too! And fortunately Mom had the funds to pay for her care. I hope you can find the best for Dad.

So it's another stinkin' cold day here and last night I thought I would brave it and go get groceries. I really want to go to Home Depot too and get stuff for shelving in my furnace room closet, and I do need to run into Joann for some interfacing (not fabric for sure!!) But I think it's all going to wait until tomorrow when the temp gets up to 20! Or maybe Monday when it's 30! Only problem is, I'm out of wine! I wonder if the Liquor Store delivers!! just kidding, I'll be fine! :lol:

So since I've decided to stay in, I'll probably just play with all that fabric, cut some up into pillowcases and then find a place to put the rest of it. I did do a test block on the quilt for My niece Kayla, but think I'd like to find a few more different pieces of purple batik---another reason to run to Joann with coupons in hand!

For now , I need more coffee and a shower!!

enjoy your day.. and if you haven't checked out a New 2024 Swap--please do!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:40 am

In the low 30’s this morning.

Chriss, I’m saddened to hear Jerry isn’t doing well. You’re both in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs

MaryZ, Yes, that’s how low the water level is in the lakes that supply Corpus area. Our friends live on Lake Travis and said it’s 50 ft low. They live on a cove and there’s no water in sight. I had to look up watch hat. I don’t blame Amara, I’d panic too. The TV shows always have bad guys in those hats. I’m glad Amara tasted peanut butter and likes it. Is Aut on the same page as Antonio? Ms Boots is so darn cute!! The almost SIL wants property in SW Colorado. Prayers for Gene and family.

Judi, Hope the rink is fixed soon.

Jana, I have one of those vacuums that Garry insisted I buy right after we bought the house, coming up on two years. It’s still in the box. Maybe I will have time to set it up in Feb when we’re at the house. I will remember your story.

MaryQ, Do the grocery stores deliver? Down here H-E-B delivers. That’s a lot of fabric. Are you going to try soaking the quilt in the tub? As for swap, maybe make it a bit later or long, say to the end of April or first part of May. Sounds like many have a busy Feb and MaryZ won’t be at her stash until the end of Feb.

Lori, I’m sorry to hear of your Dad’s decline.It’s so hard and sometimes frustrating. I hope you find him a nice place. Sounds like you had a good time learning something new. I am hard to keep track of. I’m on the coast of Texas near Corpus Christi. But Feb I will be at our Texas house NW of Austin.

Yesterday my geek guy emailed and agreed the HP laptop I was looking at had good reviews. So I went to Corpus Christi Best Buy and bought one. I also talked to one of their geeks and he gave me tips on setting it up. I will be taking my old one to them, so they can clean the nasty off of it. Then I will copy files to new one. I may keep the old one just for my embroidery machine. I had a really hard time getting the software on it after it was updated to Windows 10. I also went to HL and JoAnn’s looking for flannel to back coverlet. JoAnn’s had daisy’s on a blue background that will be perfect, but was a yard short. I found a green that matched leaves and will figure out how to combine them. I did look at star blocks last night when I couldn’t sleep. There’s lots to choose from.

I need to go get the mail. Then I will turn on the new laptop and get it setup.

I hope everyone has a good day and weekend.
Lyn

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:01 am

Good morning. I think our rainstorm is being postponed. Seems mother nature is a late riser and needing to start the rain this evening rather than today.

It was a pretty restless night here which kept all three of us up. Jerry and Moose seem to go back to sleep with ease, me? not so much.

Yesterday on my way into town I called a funeral home and found cremation is much cheaper than I thought it would be. Was glad to have that news, I need to be prepared whether it's something I need to know sooner or later, I needed to know.

My goal today is to do a little cleaning and get into my sewing room, I need a fix.

Lori, what a way to be twins. It's so difficult to find the right facility for a loved one. I was grateful, when we had to find a place for my grandma, that she could afford it. Cost can be a huge factor. It's also one of those things where you really need to do a little research but there isn't a lot of research time because it needs to be done quickly. Here's a hug, and a prayer that you find the perfect fit for your dad. Saw the indigo fabric you made on FB, gorgeous, I like the leaves the best, the circles are cool too. I'm drawn to the darker background. Would make a really cool tote bag or purse. How's your son doing in his new house, is he all moved in?

Maryz, I will say a prayer for Gene. Has he looked into GriefShare? I'm finding it very helpful, and it's a great resource. I can just picture you and your adorable dancing partner be bopping to the oldies. puts a smile on my face. Perfect kumquat story. Funnier because I read how so very (and in my opinion mostly rightfully) cautious Antonio is. Thank you for the perfect picture. She has the best smile ever. And don't you love those chunky little cheeks. And those beautiful toes. I love her.

Jana, what a hoot. How often do you have to empty that vac? I think here, because of the abundance of dog hair, it wouldn't work. Our temps are also warming up. We were almost, if not, 60 yesterday. today is already mid 50's

Lois, I hate when doctors do that and you have to wait forever. Jerry's neurologist is the same.

Flo, what a blessing to have the kids fix supper. I'm thinking that fajitas might be good for dinner tonight. I have chicken thawed out and just may give it a go.

Judi, Oxy clean is also my go to. hope those shoes come back to life. I bet it feels good to have a cleaned up sewing room. I may never know how that feels.

Maryq, hope you find that purple batik. Wish I could help. Jerry has one more ound of chemo on the 7th then a scan. The doctor is wanting to make sure the results show this chemo cocktail rather than the remnants of the last chemo cocktail. I get it but in this last week Jerry, in my opinion, has really deteriorated. As for the walkers, I'm thinking it's a difference between a Honda and a Chevy. Honda's are stolen much more than Chevy's. Hoping it's the red and not the blue that are in demand at the chop shop.

Lyn, happy new lap top day. I love my lap top. My dad bought it for m a few years ago, I think it's a refurbished one from Amazon, but am not sure. I'm just thrilled to have it. Thanks for the cup info. I had already bought two wine tumblers, they have lids and straws fit in them and they have rubber on the bottom so that they don't slide. They were $9.99 each and I bought two. I had a coupon for $5 off of $20 and was two cents short of that goal. They had individual caramels for 39 cents so I bought one for Jerry and used the coupon. So far they are working. He doesn't do well grasping a handle.

I have dilly dallied long enough. Jerry is sleeping and I am debating, should I wake him to eat and take his meds or just let him sleep. I think I will let him sleep. I'm not convinced that it matters at this point. I want to go in the bedroom to get dressed but I want him to rest. Moose is so antsy, looking down the hall, but sticking close to me.

I think I will clean the microwave and convection oven, do the dishes, eat breakfast then go play in my room. You all have a marvy day
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pm

Oh my goodness, imagine my surprise to get a package from Tina. Couldn't imagine such a big box for lotto blocks. But then I told myself, it is Tina, you never know.

Thank you El's Angels for the quilt. I will cherish it always. Blue was Dad's favorite color so it is perfect. I am still trying to accept the reality but find myself thinking I have to pick up jello for him, or go by the care home or some other silly thing.

I know I will get there but in the meantime it is great to have this group of Angels to see me through the storm. I cannot thank you enough. Love you all

Valerie

I will post a picture tomorrow
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”