Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

FRIDAY, January 19th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

FRIDAY, January 19th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:29 am

Good morning,

My tech spent some time with my confuser yesterday so we'll see how it does today. Maybe he was able to work some of his magic on it.

SHARONA - I sure hope you are doing better today. Did you see a doctor? They can diagnose flu, even what strain, and prescribe Tamiflu which seems to really help many folks with symptoms and a faster recovery. I've also heard of a virus going around that features a lot of coughing. Get well soon!

JUDI - scary ride you tried to have yesterday to your dr appt! Glad you at least got a virtual. Enjoy your trip and worry about your hip when you get back. Have you got all your sewing stuff packed? I was wondering, but then someone else - Mary Q? - asked if you have the Libby app on your phone. If you h ave a library card you can dowload books, audio books, magazines, etc to your phone or i-pad. That is how I check out all my stuff. I prefer real books to read, but I listen to audiobooks on my phone.

CHRISS - you have a good memory. I did have a Dell laptop that got smashed in the handle of my recliner footrest 3 yrs ago. We sent it to Dell for repair which never really happened. They wouldn't let us deliver it to the repair place which was only 2 hours from where we were in TX, but insisted we ship it. To arrange this we had to talk to India. And everything with that computer went FUBAR from there. Consequently, I have a new (19 mos) computer. Good thing I live with a computer guy. I can barely turn the thing on! I think this one, an HP, is going to survive. How is Jerry doing today - since his last dose of chemo? I hope the Rollinator helps him get rolling. Plus it has the seat for resting. Something that can comes in handy when trying to navigate large medical centers that should position park benches in their hallways, but don't.

JANA - cograts to Matt on his new job! My friend's nephew is also a rocket scientist. Not many families can say they have a rocket scientist in the crowd! I hope your Matt likes his new position. I'm sure he's going to be a 'star'. Get it? Rocket scientist - star - space? Pretty clever for so early in the morning, don't you think?

MARY Q - glad you're finding products that work on the musty fabric! What a haul! Is it all quilting fabric? Do you have it all washed now and sorted now? Before going to Europe 20 years ago we went to a packing seminar put on by Rick Steves and they did advise rolling clothes. I didn't do that but I do roll some things to pack into my trailer closet - jeans & sweats mostly.

LYN - we happen to have a video of what Amara does to laminated papers. It ain't pretty, and she's very "thorough". lol! She's going to have to make do with the framed 8x10 on the wall. I'm wondering if the idiot writers of the phrase "diabetic supplies" was thinking of needles when they wrote it. How is your coverlet coming along? Great idea for widening a back. I've done things like that and even just sewn coordinating scraps together hodge podge fashion.

VALERIE - what did you do to your hand?? Seems when it rains, it pours, and it pours a lot in your life! I hope it's OK. I remember when your dad was living in Issaquah. Is that where your sisters lived? It's about 50 miles from GH. We used to go visit relatives there when I was growing up. When we go home to WA, Antonio will go back to trying to work from home doing consulting work for college applicants. Apparently that's a good gig - unless there is an active little girl involved. But day care is very expensive here plus Antonio has such a strict Covid protocol. Too strict in my opinion, but I'm not the boss of them, so we say nothing.

LOIS - good luck at your dr appt. Or should I say good luck getting TO your dr appt. Hope it's not the adventure Judi had yesterday.

JUDI - happy travel sewing packing! Hexie's and yo yo's don't take much space, so I say pack 'em all! Do you stitch on them while you ride in the truck? If so you might pack a "dinghy" Ziplock for that. Will your son stay at your house while you're gone or just check in now and then? I'm excited that you are going on this trip!

Yesterday was another fun day, but I tell you, one little girl can sure exhaust two old folks! lol! Since she graduated to the entire large living room, her world has expanded and she is all over it! Everything left within reach is OK for her to play with. Furniture is used for baricades and some pretty nice quilts are covering sharp edges of coffeetables, etc. We're going back again today. We have next week "off" while Other Gramma visits. This will give us time to do some things we've been wanting to do - drive to another town to visit a friend, some shopping, and some quilting. My cats are on hold until after today. Then I plan to get crackin' on that project. We will be here until Feb 15th. Then it will finally be time for us to go home.

Do you know spring is only 59 days away? 8-1/2 weeks!

mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: FRIDAY, January 19th

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:08 am

Good morning,

This is going to be short as we have to leave for the drs the snow hasn't started yet and the dr is a 30 minuet drive.
Today when we get back I will try to finish quilting those cats.
Mary have a fun time with Amara today.

Well thats it for me everyone enjoy your day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:47 am

Good morning,,,It is still dark but snowing a little, We have another "Winter Weather Advisory" 2 inches of new snow....Here we laugh at 2 inches unless we are trying to drive to a Dr appt on very bad unplowed roads..(see yesterdays post) Funny thing is my road that i live on was fine,,,the second road I needed to go on was fine,,,,but the main well traveled roads were crap. Ya gotta wonder who makes the decisions around here,
Last night i got a duffel bag filled with quilting hexis and a few charms and my yoyo maker..I will sneak my laotop into kens computer bag and then I have one small suitcase and an overnighter for the hotels, I roll my clothes and undoes and anything that can be rolled. I also watched a Rick Steeves on packing...Kens shirts will need a touch up with the iron when we get there,,,but untill we hit warmer weather we usually wear jackets so wrinkles are ok...sweatshirts dont wrinkle much either,,( I roll my unders in my dresser too)
I will work on row 4 of the geese today since I am not going anywhere in the day. We have a hockey game at 520 so we will either eat early or late depending on Ken preference. I am betting it will be early...game is only an hour. but we get to see greats and grands when we are there...and our son and DDIL.
Mary I know Covid is still a threat to all but the RSV and Flu pack a whallop too. Does Antonio test for those? .I had the virus with the long lasting cough here a few weeks ago...It doesnt make you very sick but it is annoying, My poor nose took a beating too. Im glad thats behind me..Have fun with Amara today...when she starts walking Antonio may never get any work done...My niece who works from home had to hire a nanny to come and stay with her son ( it was much lass expensive than a day care center } Found a college student who took on line classes at night and watched her baby during the day, While baby napped the nanny did her own home work..She stayed employed untill the boy went to school.
Lois hope your roads are better than mine were,,,You really made quick work on the cats quilt. is it for you or a gift?
Well I need more coffee and see what I need to do today,,,,Sewing sounds like a good idea..but I do need to mop a few floors here,,,have a wonderful day XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:50 am

Judi we are fine here it hasn't started yet the cat quilt is a shower gift for my DIL for her cousin I'm hoping to finish it today .

Lois

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:02 am

Good morning.
I woke early and haven’t raised the night shades, so not sure what the weather looks like. We are expecting rain next week and I hope it’s a lot. Water supply is at 29%, the news reported last night.

MaryZ, Coverlet is on hold as I need to work on the laptop. I hope Antonio comes to understand that raising Amara in a bubble isn’t a good idea. That’s all I will say since it’s not my relatives. Enjoy your day with her.

Chriss, Garry likes chili rellenos too, but this place didn’t have it on the menu. I’m a wuss and don’t like spicy salsa, it was too spicy. I ordered a Quesadilla, it was Ok. Garry ordered a hamburger and I kid you not, it was 5” high. He ate it with his fork. How is Jerry doing?

Y’all may remember my mentioning that I was a RE/MAX Realtor for 10 years. My slogan was, Solving the Real Estate Puzzle. I loved hunting for properties and finding the right match. Well, my almost SIL, Christian wants to look for land, which they will build their retirement house on in the future. I offered my hunting skills to find some possibilities. He’s happy that I offered. He’s very busy running his plumbing business. He bids and plumbs mostly new commercial stuff and will tell you, they don’t show butt crack. :lol:

I’m now thinking I should buy a new laptop, mine is 8 years old. I have HP ProBook. I will research that today. I may run to Best Buy and look. I sent an email to my geek guy, for his opinion.

Time for more coffee and researching laptops. Hope y’all have a blest day.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:05 am

Good morning!

We're coid, but it's not snowing! Looks like we'll get a break for a few days of no snow! Yippee!

Yesterday things went kaput at Daniel's house. His internet went out and he was trying to work from home. So he tried fix it, but it wasn't a house issue, but his provider, so he grabbed his laptop and worked from here. Stu tried to help him too. So since Stu was out, I got him to come over and build the box of sticks that was the trundle bed here. He did and since it's trash day, hauled out all that trash for me too. I now can measure to see how thick the mattresses can be. No more than 7 inches for the trundle bed. We only had one bit of damage, a small dent in the wood on one pieces parts. I'll live with that. It's not easily seen. So now I'll check Costco for the mattresses. Tape measure in hand!

A good day to play in the Batt Cave too!

It's Friday, the first day of fun stuff!

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:02 am

Good Frigid Morning!!

Another good day to stay in!! It was so cold yesterday, neither Katie or I even walked out to the mailbox. With informed delivery from the PO you can see what's coming--yesterday was junk---so it wasn't worth the trip!!

Maryz... Yes, pretty much all of the fabric is quilting cotton, Some Walmart and some nice Moda or Timeless Treasures--the "good stuff" Katie says so far we've done about 100 yards. But wait... "there's more" She is going back next Thursday! Apparently there are storage sheds and a couple closets with fabric in them and I know there's a stack of about 20 jelly rolls! :D :D :D Was your IT guy able to fix up the computer? Or do you have to go track down some parts? Even with the mild winter we have had... I'm so looking forward to spring!!

Lois... On my little weather app on my phone, I can find out the weather just about anyplace in the world.. So I can see you are getting snow until about 3 this afternoon! It's kind of fun to be able to check on weather around the country. For Example it's 38* in Austin, 51* Where Chriss is, 8Above In Anchorage! and A big fat ZERO here !

Judi ... I searched for New Boston on my phone to find the weather there... Did you know there are 8 cities Named "New Boston" in the US? There's a little bit of trivia for you today! Do you think that's what you had with your cough, RSV? I'm caught up on my Covis vax, but haven't had the RSV or Flu shot this year. My DS Kevin has some icky virus now too, cough and aches and stuffy nose.

Lyn... Kind of sad that a computer will only last 8 years!! I still have the laptop I bought in oh, probably 15 years ago... It's incredibly slow, but I only use it for things that my new computer won't do. The Kids got me a Microsoft surface for Christmas '21 and it's nice and fast but my favorite program "Print Shop" won't in it! Maybe Best Buy will have a good sale on them!

Jana... Glad your internet worked for Daniel! So frustrating when it's down or super slow. Were they able to fix it? Nice that the box of sticks is put together. A trundle bed with come in handy for sleep overs!

Chriss...Love Jerry's new walker, it's my favorite color!! I bet he will like that and it will be much more stable for him. My Mom had one like that even in her tiny apartment and she would sit at the kitchen sink in it to do dishes! Believe me... all this washing fabric is exhausting! I have a couple more loads to do today, then I'm done until Katie brings home some more!!

Okay gals, what do you think of a Swap this spring ? I posted some preliminary thoughts etc for a Red White and Blue Stars Swap this morning. Check it out and let me know what you think.

For now I need to grab some more coffee and get another load in the washer. With a little bit of luck I might get to see my sewing machine today. I'm going to start working on the new quilt for my niece Kayla--whose dog chewed up her other one :lol:

Happy Friday Everyone!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:36 am

Good morning. Happy Friday. We are expecting a storm either later today or tonight. It will be welcomed.

Today I will run into town and get some things Jerry needs. I will purchase cups with lids. He can't grasp cups very well and spills often. Lots of other things are not looking good. Please continue your prayers for him. My opinion is that things are going down hill pretty fast, but I pray I am wrong.

Lyn, funny that Garry ordered a burger in a Mexican restaurant. A burger sounds wonderful. I couldn't find any whole chili's at the store yesterday so bought diced and will mke a chili relleno casserole tonight.

Maryz, I love those little girl stories, keep them coming and I wouldn't complain if there were a picture in my near future.

Maryq, Jerry got the blue rollator because the exact same one in red was a few dollars more. Color matters. We have informed delivery for packages only. Not sure why our podunk post office is so far behind the times, we pay the same postage as everyone else does.

gotta get busy here. Need to get Jerry settled so I can run into town and get back before he unsettles. But first, breakfast all around. I'm quite concerned about him.

You all have a fab day
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:09 am

Chriss, it's quite comical how you change the color of something and the price changes.
I was looking at shoes the other day and it change price when I chose a different color. I'm pretty sure they all cost the same to make. Bummer Jerry isn't doing well. Hope he's not in pain. I know it's a lot of work for you to deal with. You are on my mind daily.

Jana, yay for a break from the snow.

Lyn, hope you get some rain. I don't remember where you live.

Judi, sounds like you are ready to get out of Dodge.

Lois, hope you drive was uneventful.

Mary, I remember the computer problem you had last year. What happened to work smarter, not harder? Or KISS. I know you are having fun with the little one.

My Shibori with indigo dye class was so much fun. I dyed about 10 different pieces. Small ones. I still have to rinse a few out today. I'll definitely be doing this again. You can prep things in advance, which is what I'll do.

Today I need to deal with some thing for my dad. I'm going to start looking for a place for him, or have someone come in a few times a week. His memory is gone. He calls me over and over again and aske the same thing I just told him a minute ago. So that's my project until I get something lined up. I'll still find time to sew, because that's what keeps me from going crazy.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”