Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wedesday, January 17th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Wedesday, January 17th

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:55 am

Good morning,

Good news! Our temps are out of the teens! We've warmed up to 22* here! And it should be a sunny day and climb past 40* by afternoon. But best news of all - we're going to spend the day with Our Miss Boots! And probably Thurs and Fri, too. This means my Cats in PJ's will have to go on hold. I do have all 12 faces half sewn. But they can wait until the weekend. And I think we won't be babysitting next week due to Other Gramma being in town. I've not met O.G. but I get the feeling she is not the babysitting type. Or the quilting type either. We hope to find out today what the kids plans are for her visit. I'm not sure they know yet. There is a weather related emergency at one of Aut's libraries - both recently and extensively remodeled - so that is going to be their focus this week. Especially Autumn's.

CHRISS - I love where I live, too. My grandpa moved from NY State 122 years ago and had two different homesteads, both less than a mile from where I live now. My dad was born on the second place. My parents had a farm less than two miles from my house where we 6 kids all grew up. They are all buried a mile away from my house. My roots go deep and I'm staying put until we can no longer take care of our place. As for teeth - remember, the health of your teeth is VERY important to the good health of the rest of your body - especially your heart. Many people with heart issues (and my LDH#, Roy, was one of those people) have to take a course of antibiotics just to have their teeth cleaned. I'm glad you are getting rainbows twice a day now!

LOIS - a bummer about the desk but glad you got your refund and are going someplace else to shop.

LORI - happy R2C!!

JUDI - happy packing! Bill is in charge of his own stuff, too, per his insistance. It took many trips before he learned how and what to pack. Personally, I think it was his way of getting a new wardrobe! You can always tuck in a folding suitcase or a few tote bags to bring back treasures - or pick up an extra suitcase if you need it at a thrift shop.

JANA - You had your organized day planned yesterday. So how did things go? You know, God loves a good laugh now and then!

MARY Q - Don't forget - with fabric you can't salvage - don't toss it! Goodwill will take anything fabric and if it's deemed not fit for sale in their stores they sell it for making insulation. So just put it all into trash bags and drop it off. My sister and dbil used to have a job where they traveled all across the country in a work van. She did the exact same as you - put a complete outfit into Ziplock bags and squeezed the air out. So all she took into their motels every night was one bag and her little ditty bag. They installed TP, towel dispensers, bug buckets, etc in C-stores and gas stations so they didn't need fancy clothes.

FLO - don't forget to put some rolled towels at the bottom of your iced windows to catch drips as it melts.

My computer is flashing its screen at me this morning. Not sure what that's all about but will ask my tech department when it wakes up. Now I need to feed my boys, take a shower, eat some breakfast, and pack a lunch. I'm so excited to go see Amara!

Y'all have a splendiferous day!
mary z
>^+^<

mepeace2

Re: Wedesday, January 17th

Post by mepeace2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:05 am

Good Morning All
Temperture finally above zero. A whopping 5. wind chill still below zero.
I need a kick in the pants or something to get me sewing. I guess this cold weather has given me the non productive mood. Today is the day. I here the sewing room calling my name I just dont pay attention. Instead of worrying about quilting the challenge piece I will work on OWL. I also need to make me a couple of new MUMUs. Spring is right around the corner. If you all want to scream at me"Katy get going " I will try to listen.
Nothing going on here otherwise. Still snowed or iced in. Sure glad I have a stock pile of grocery items.
Maryz Glad you get to take care of Miss Boots. I do not understand Grandmas like that. I loved it when all my grandbabies were her age.
Well I am thinking Spring . I also need to start cleaning . I have been bad just put cleaning off. Got to get a wiggle on.
Well I need more coffee before Barney goes out.
Y'all have a great sewing day
Katy

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:43 am

Good morning the sun is just coming up but it is 3,,,wind chill -15, I have to go to the store today and stop by and see my DDIL, She left some stuff at my house on Christmas eve and I still havent gotten it to her,,,She is my favorite , so sweet and kind and tough, She is in a wheel chair most of the time and still manages to get all of her things done.
I did work on the quilt last night and some yesterday,,,row 4 of 5 half done,,,I would like to get this top done and I need to do my travel box for this year, Hexis or yoyos or what????? it is a small bin I have a baby iron a cutting mat and cutter and a wool ironing mat plus thread caddies and scissors now need to add the projects I will take,,,I also need a couple of books to read or find new ones on audio books.
Katy you can do it, but I know the feeling gray cold winter days make for SAD seasonal affective disorder,,,That accompanied by all the stress you have been under and no wonder you dont have the mood. It was suggested that I get outside even for a couple of minutes and breath the fresh cold air,,,then turn on the lights in the house or open the blinds if by chance the sun does peak out...it does help although getting bundles up to breath the fresh air was sort of tedious,,,I did it,,,and it seemed to help...s a matter of fact I am going to go out to the store today and get rid of this cabin fever,,,too.
Maryz I am pulling summer stuff out a little at a time...sorting some for the thrift shop and some for the suitcase, Funny Ken is the same,,Says Dont worry about it, If I forget something ill just buy it there,,So glad you will get to see the baby today and as much as you want,,,til you leave for home. Hope she is happy to see you too...My kids other grand parents were always available to babysit .. And my youngest son MIL made sure she was first in line always and the grampa too..When they were born I was still working so was never asked to sit with the kids unless I made arraingements,,Collens kids would have lived here if they could...every family has different traditions or needs,,,My grand mother told all of her kids from the get go that she didnt bab ysit ever unless it was an emergency,,,so I think I stayed with my gramma 1 or 2 times my whole life,, She lived in Florida so I wrote to her all the time and she would write back..but we never had her for a babysitter,,,My other grand parents were old when I was born and they didnt babysit either,,,but we did spend the night with them and my aunt occassionally.
Well my coffee is cold and I need to switch laundry over. I will see if the temps get over 10 to go out into...No clue what supper will be,,,Have a wonderful day XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:17 am

Morning
Maryz, great tip about rolled towels...I was running in and out of those rooms until DDIL came over to use washer...hers froze. Joe will go over there today to help thaw it and make sure no damage done to washer.
Next winter the front bedrooms- sewing room & guest room- will not have problem of ice on inside of windows. Joe is going to close in front porch as a garden room...plus HVAC will be up & running so rooms won't be closed off.
Today will hit just above freezing during day. But still cold!
Flo

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 am

Good morning!

I'm awake before the sun is up here. It's a tad bit warmer and snowing. Only for a little while longer, then a break, then right as I take Ethan to orchestra, a bit more snow, so they say. Hopefully not nearly like week!

Got some of my accomplishment list done. We made the donation run, so that huge pile is out of my hair. The Dr has switched up the timing on a med for Michael. A good thing! That med had the tendency to put him asleep, but now it's a extended release formula, taken at bedtime, so he sleeps when he should! Things get done now!

The Batt Cave is slowly recovering from kids living here. I find their stuff and it goes to their house now! If not, I pitch it or donate, with their approval. I still finding Sarah stuff from their stay here, 8 years ago! Planning on a bit of sewing today before I take Ethan.

I've always been the babysitting Grandma. Wouldn't have it any other way! In fact, when Michael retired, and we talked about moving, I told him, I'm not a once a year Grandma, so we needed to be here! Good thing he listened! LOL! The other Grandma's here aren't, so I've got that corner of the market!

Just waiting for the heat to come on, warm up the house, so I can shower and get dressed.

Hugs,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:21 am

Good morning,

Well it 16⁰ outside and we had a chiropractor apt but I will wait till nextweek
Because it's a wee bit icy outside and I don't do well on ice. :lol:
Yesterday I got some of the cat quilt done just doing whatever but it is coming out nice.
So today's game plan is to work a little more on the quilt.

Well thats it for here stay warm everyone.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:52 am

What's wrong with this picture. 8 a.m. CT, it's 22° here on the coast, 19° at the Texas house and 34° at the Estes Park house!! :lol:

MaryZ, I'm happy for y'all that you're cleared health wise to babysit. I thought you were going to make one whole cat first? I think you should meet the other grandma. Is there a grandpa?

Chriss, thinking about you and Jerry and sending more prayers. Is he getting a treatment today? When my Mom needed a cane and walker, we removed all the throw rugs so she didn't trip on them. I hope Jerry didn't hurt himself falling.

Katy, What brand of car are you looking at. I really liked my Subaru, which was all wheel drive and ran great on any road conditions.

I have all 8 rows of my coverlet made. I was measuring 3 rows yesterday to see how long to make sashing between rows. One was 88 1/4", another 88 1/2" & third was 89 1/2". WHAT. Then I realized the third one was one of the first rows I put together and had put sashing on the last right block. That should be a long sashing strip all the way down the side. :lol: So I frogged the first 4 rows, as they all had the end piece. I'm still working on getting my laptop ready to ship. It's an aggravation, so I'm being slow at getting passwords off and backing up files.

Today is beading, which they're doing earlier than usual. After that, I have mail to pick up and a RX for DH in opposite directions. Get this, Glucose text strips are covered under part B Medicare. It grips me that there's a deductible, so I have to pay $150 for 100 strips. But even more aggravating is you can't move the RX from one state to another and I've just learned you can't even move from one CVS to another in the same state!! It's only test strips, not some drug people get hooked on.

Y'all have a good day. Stay warm.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:09 am

Good morning Girls

Happy Wednesday! Still dang cold here but there is hope right? Luckily I haven't had cabin fever just yet and quite content to spend my days indoors. However, by Monday when it's supposed to warm up to 30 something... you bet I'll be outta here!!!

Maryz... Oh thanks for the reminder about extra fabric.. The St. Vincent DePaul shop has a contract too with a shred company and I guess they do quite well selling shred able stuff. Some of this stuff is quite nasty tho. I'm so excited for you to be able to spend time with Miss Boots today!! I bet she will be pretty excited to see you. My kids didn't have another set of grand parents as DEX's Dad was killed in an accident when he was 8, and his Mom passed a year before we got married, so my kids only knew my folks. I can't imagine NOT wanting to baby sit my grandkids! I'm kind of sad that they don't need babysitters anymore! My grandbabies are lucky.. they have 3 Grammas.. Me, Viv and Kori (ex's wife who loves them to pieces too)

Katy... "GET GOING!!" Tho I totally understand a slump... been there done that. Hope something kicks in the fanny to get you into the sewing room. Sometimes just finding a piece of fabric I forgot I had will do the trick. Years ago I made a quilt for my niece Kayla, but I've heard that her new puppy has kind of made a mess of it! So her Dad, my brother Tim, has asked if I could make her a new one! Are you kidding me! OF COURSE!!! So I'm going through my stash looking for purples--as that's a favorite color and today I may rummage through patterns too. So you see, it takes just one little kick in the butt to get you going!

Judi...When you do Hexi's do you sew them together by hand? I think I tried it once and decided.. not for me. Fresh air is SO good for you, but when it's so so cold, and you have to put on so much to stay warm (coat hats mittens boots etc) it seems hardly worth it. My places faces east and north, so I only get sun in the windows for a short time in the morning, but man I love it! A little sunshine can sure brighten a day!!

Flo... Hey, that is a good idea Maryz had... I might have to try that. I'm not sure how your windows are set, but here we have wood frames/ sills so it's important to keep the moisture off as it damages the wood. Learned that lesson in my old house! Missouri doesn't usually get this much really cold weather does it?

Jana... Once upon a time, for a very short minute I considered moving to Alaska to be "Nana Nanny" for Eli, when Jen needed a permanent sitter. When he was little and didn't go to school. But it all worked out for her, she found a gal and they have become best friends!

Lois.... I sure don't blame you for wanting to stay inside!! The older I get the most scared I am of falling on the ice. I'm even considering those kind of claw like metal things that you can attach to the bottom of your boots/ shoes. I fell on the ice getting the mail last winter and I sure don't want to do that again!!

Lyn... You've got to be kidding about Garry's test strips!! That's ridiculous. You know why Medicare has those silly rules... because they want you to get your strips from mail order. And did you know that A regular pharmacy CANNOT mail strips to you? They have to be picked up. When I was working, it was a mess... as a Long term care pharmacy we could not deliver strips to Med B patients in our nursing homes and assisted living facilities, they theoretically had to arrange for pick up or have someone else pick them up on their behalf. Luckily, my Humana plan automatically sends me 100s trips about every 75-80 days! Maybe it's time to check out a new Medicare Plan!?

Chriss.... Lots of thoughts and prayer for Jerry today.. Hope that once the treatments are done he will be able to start feeling better. Chemo can really kick your butt!

Today here will probably be spent in the laundry room! Yesterday Katie and I finished sorting through the last of 19 bags of fabric P-U But man there was some nice stuff! Lots of Walmart fabric that if nothing else would make great pillow cases. Lots of small pieces too, like charm packs and strips, those I am soaking in DAWN and vinegar and they have been coming out pretty good too. One thing I haven't notice with the charm packs is that there is some shrinkage... so perhaps they will measure up to 4.5" instead of a full 5". I ordered some Odor Blast Oxyclean from Amazon and that arrived this morning so I'll try some of that today. Also need to wash my own clothes.

So I'm off to grab some more coffee, shower up so that I don't gross myself out! :lol:

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:10 am

Just a quick drive by, I have a 3 hour training session at 9, then an hour meeting and then my patients.

Josiah is hanging in there. Drain has not been pulled. He a quick return to surgery yesterday. Something about repairing a stitch. As best as I can understand it. The drainage is still more than they wanted to be.

I have my back partially put together. I have to add one more length so it will be long enough.

Everything is cut and ready for the mystery quilt on saturday.

I will catch up with you all. When I can I think next week is going to be a bit quieter.

Have a good day
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:26 am

Lyn I am sure your have checked and rechecked on this,,,We have Humana as does Maryq and they cover test strips 100%. And we can get them when we travel as we have had them ordered in Florida, when we were there, and we have done this at CVS, and when one CVS didnt have the correct strips they called another store and we picked them up there, We get our other Rx filled in Florida too...We just have to rememebr to have them changed back to Michigan when we come home/xxxooo

Return to “Sew ins”