Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUNDAY, January 14th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SUNDAY, January 14th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:26 am

Good morning,

We had a really rough day on the road yesterday - bad roads in LA and back into TX, tons of big trucks, and long areas of heavy construction, detours, and stopped back-ups. One motorhome rear-ended a tanker truck. No one was happy there! We finally landed at our RV park and it was such a nice park that it almost made up for the day. We had a few hours of warm sunshine so we got out out our chairs, made margaritas, and just enjoyed being off the road! Today, we arrive back in Austin about noon with almost 3 weeks worth of laundry to do. So no one will get bored!

LORI - I want to say I'm sorry about Aunt Dorothy - but 106? She's earned her heavenly reward! My chiro's mother was also 106 when she passed away. I think positive attitude has a lot to do with longevity. That and not dying young.

JUDI - while I'm interested in programs that show us how things are made, I probably would have beat you to the sewing room if I'd had to watch that sword-making show with Ken! Do you still have snow? Bill's family friends once sent a picture of their teenaged son stepping off their 2-story roof onto the top of the snow. That was a record year up in the Upper Peninsula!

CHRISS - glad to have you along for the ride! Though you would probably have bailed on us yesterday. Today will be much better once we get the traffic jungle known as Houston in our rear view mirror. In our area, people rent their pastures out for extra money - cows, horses, goats, etc. Fence repair is negotiable between renter or owner. But there has to be water available. Glad you finally got your new brush. I never ever use a brush on my hair. Brushes make curly hair frizzy. I comb it wet, then run a wide toothed pick through it to fluff the curls, and dab a tiny bit of curly gel on it. And let it air dry. Then I finger fluff it. This process probably explains why my hair is always the wild mess that it is, but it's what people expect when they see me and I wouldn't want to disappoint. :lol: question: Your group gives just a block to veterans? Is it a finished block? Like a mug rug or candle mat?

JANA - I'm glad you got to meet Molly. I'll bet she was a bit nervous about meeting all of Stu's family at once. I remember having to meet Mike's family and relatives at a Christmas party when I was only 17. I was overwhelmed and felt like I was getting scrutinized by everyone! Turns out they were all nice and I enjoyed their family parties after that but the first one was scary for me.

LOIS - have you made any washer decisions? Out of curiosity I was Googling them yesterday - various brands from Home Depot - prices ranged from about $500 to $800. All had agitators. I've heard (don't know, just heard) that Speed Queens are the up and coming quality brand now. I think they are used in laundromats. Autumn has a new set of Whirlpools. Top loader, huge tub, agitator, water level adjuster. But it takes forever to wash. And the dryer, too. If I do clothes at her house, I can only do 2 loads in the 6 hours we are there.

SHARONA - so sorry about your URI! Are you on abx? I hope you don't have to go out to the dr in your weather! My CO DBIL is loving that he is in Florida right now, and watching CO wx reports.

JUDI - your Geese in Motion will be finished in no time. Even doing scrappy, I am a little picky about color placement, too. How will you back it? Brrr.... I think I'd choose the heated bathroom for my showers!

FLO - I'm with you - love traveling and love coming home! Will you be getting out in your motorhome much this season? We made about 4 rezzies for short camping trips this coming spring and summer. We find if we don't sit down and make them, then we just never get out. Though now, with a planned trip back up the Alcan which will be 6-7 weeks this summer, some of the shorter trips might have to be cancelled.

Well, it's time to hop into the shower and start folding up our tent for our last day on the road - for now. Should be a short day, then a scramble to sort laundry. I might have to divide it into 2 days as other folks might be wanting to get their clothes done before the cold snap, too. I hate having to share! Our RV park has two laundry rooms at opposite ends of the park with 4 W/D's in each one, though usually at least one unit is out of order.

Stay safe, warm, and dry!
mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: SUNDAY, January 14th

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:55 am

Good morning,

We are at 30⁰ and going up to 39⁰ and some rain accompanied buy some snow tomorrow.

Mary no decisions are made yet on a new washer however there are some good sales we have homedepot ,Lowe's, and pc Richard's near by so I want to go see what they have.

Today I will sandwich the cats and pjs quilt and start quilting it.

Mary have safe travels and don't over due on wash today :lol: .

Well I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:09 am

Morning
Maryz, safe travels. We are back and forth on selling motorhome and hotel-ing it.
Last night temp was -6 with real feel of -24. Tonight just the same. Tues morning supposed to warm up some. Until then it's stay home and bring chickens water every 2 hrs. Even with a heating plate under water can, water still freezing. So I dug out some old quilted table runners I don't use any more to wrap can it....chickens are doing fine ...
Stay warm.
Flo

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:13 am

The cold is moving my way.

MaryZ, I pray you get to Bee Cave before the freezing drizzle I'm reading on AccuWeather. I appreciate Bill's input on my laptop and need to visit with you more about that.

Lois, I have Whirlpool in the Motorhome. Years ago I remember hearing that Whirlpool made Sears washers. I think some of these other brands may be made be the big name manufacturers, but they stick a different logo on at the end of the production line. Happy shopping.

Flo, Sounds like you're doing all you can to not have frozen birds. I am concerned about your sewing machine in an unheated room.

Someone mentioned people living past 100. I remember taking Dad out to lunch on his 101st Birthday. Garry asked him what the secret was to living so long. Dad answered, "You just don't die!" :lol: I miss Dad

We watched the Chiefs game last night. I was texting with my DSIL who lives in Olathe, KS, SW of KC. Y'all talk about cold. She said it was -7° with a wind chill of -27°. Most of the Dolphins were in short sleeves!! Maybe that's why they lost.

In the last couple days I cleaned out the freezer of very old stuff and refilled for the upcoming freeze, so I don't have to go shopping for a few days.

I'm making progress on the coverlet. I think they're having the gospel jam today so I will go up and listen to that and crochet. I dislike sitting there doing nothing.

Stay warm.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:30 am

Good morning Girls

'Tis a balmy 9 Below here this morning, but the sun is shining and that is nice to see! You can imagine that on a day like today, that I am for sure not leaving the house!!

Sorry I missed you guys yesterday, I got the bug to get up, get dressed and get those uglies done! Feels so good to have clean floors, clean toilets, dusted surfaces and vacuumed floors! Can't say I did much after that tho.. Didn't sleep well Friday, so I just kind of dragged around the house most of the afternoon until it was time to bundle up and go to Nolan's hockey game!!

Maryz... Sorry to hear you had such a rough day on the road yesterday. Hope today will be much smoother for you. After your period of quarantine I so hope you can go get your hugs and kisses from that baby girl!!

Lois.... Lots of different opinions about washers out there. Some love their front loaders, some the top.. My DDIL has a front loader and swears by it, (it's very pretty because it's my favorite color--navy blue) I have a top loader because the price was right!! I do love mine without the agitator because I can fit my queen size quilt in it without problem! That only alone sold me on it! What ever you decide... won't it be great just have a new one that works!!!!

Flo... Isn't this winter just crazy? You don't use get such cold temps in Missouri do you? Not a year to have furnace/propane issues... and of course stuff like that always happens on the coldest days of the year. It's Murphy's law!!

Judi... Can't wait to see your Geese all done.. I did peek in my stash of jelly rolls that other and found a couple that could work! And a jelly rolls of something that could work for background as well! But.... not going to start anything new just.... and I have to keep telling myself that! I tried making a braid quilt one year, and they strips got all wonky and went sideways... have you had any trouble with this with this pattern?

Since it's a good day to stay in, and I didn't sew a stitch yesterday, I think the plan for the day is to get one of my small quilts sandwiched and pinned and perhaps begin at least the quilting. I'm determined to FINISH things!!! There are so many new things I want to do... but I'm trying to stay on track to finish stuff first!!

Best get to it!

Happy Sunday every one!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:39 am

Good morning. It's going to be a beautiful day today.

This afternoon I go with a friend to a concert at the Methodist church. A lady I take to church (she doesn't drive at night) invited me to go with her. I'm her Uber driver. We may get a bite to eat then go to our church meeting.

We have quite a few churches here and it seems each only has a few in their congregation. I would think, if they could all get along, it would be nice to have one big, combined church meeting each month.

Material girlfriends has started their 2024 quilt of the month, instead of a BOM they are offering a pattern for a 3 yard quilt each month. https://materialgirlfriends.com/2024-3y ... sew-along/

Lori, prayers for your dad and brother, and for you as well. Dementia is an awful disease, the person who has it must feel afraid a lot. Give your dad a hug from me. What are you doing in redwork?

Maryz, yay for the last travel day. Our washer used to take forever to wash then I noticed that instead of super wash I could adjust it to regular wash. We really don't get clothes dirty enough to need anything super. In our quilt group we are each making a block or two and they will be assembled into a quilt or two to hand out to vets. Our local senior center has a daily meal for seniors and on one day each month the meal, usually $4, is free to vets. although anyone who can't afford the meal is fed. The plan is to hand out the quilts on these Veteran free lunch days. It seems that when you are traveling east it takes forever to get to and go through texas. but when you are traveling west texas isn't far away, it's just big.

Lois, it's Columbus day tomorrow, I wonder if there will be sales for that holiday? February will be presidents day, perhaps there will be a presidents day sale that will help? Whatever you choose I hope it's a perfect washer for you.

Flo, do you use your motor home often? Would the kids use it? glad your chickens have a good mama.

Lyn, don't you think, with a wind chill of -27 that if you walked outside the blood would freeze up in your veins? I don't want to be that cold. A gospel jam sounds fun.

Maryq, I also plan to finish things this year. But it's only January and I haven't finished anything yet.

Need to get my butt started before I grow roots and can't move at all. Hope your day is wonderful.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:59 am

Well Good Afternoon. I was up early got dressed even combed my hair....then I went to make breakfast...today was vanilla waffles nd bacon....I dont eat waffles but Ken loves them I took one bite of his to just taste them...so good...We have pure maple syrup which is the best too..
I did come to the forum this morning and typesd up awhole message and when I went to send ot the internet crapped out and took my post with it...it seems to be running ok now so I will try again,,,,
Chris I am so happy you found a church family that you can go to...always a way to make new friends...the reason your blood doesnt feeze is we all have "insulation" and we produce heat too...God knew what he was doing!
Lyn , a gospel jam sounds good and to crochet along with it is even better...what are you making?
Flo we are at 3 today and wind chill is -19 sunny and bright but bone chilling cold....glad your chicks are warm..
Maryq My plan for 2024 was to make 4 Christmas quilts...I do have one WIP that i havent worked on in a year..packed in a bin, lost complete interest in it, (remeber the Quilters Garden) I have half done...maybe some day,,,all the fabric for it is in the bin with it. but it just stopped speaking to me....s far as the geese go...watch the video then after make the 200 "braids" it is just a little tricky to start each braid but they go quilckly after that, there are 5,,,I have one done and after i make the chicken soup for supper I will be working on them the rest of the day. I still have 2 loads of laundry to fold..and put away,
Maryz your trip seems fast this time around I hate doing laundry in the campgrounds but dirty clothes in the hamper also make ke crazy,, I try to do laundry every week to 10 days when we are camping but at home I do it every third day My old fashioned washer has a small cycle which I use a lot with just the 2 of us...
Lois hope you post a picture of your finished pajama quilt so we can see it done...you are speedy,,,it seems like you just started that quilt.
Well that is all I have today....down to strt the soup and let it simmer...then I will start braid no 2. May you all have a blessed sunday XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo
PS Detroit Lions are playing their first playoff game in I think 30 yrs,,,tonight...but I will be watching the Red Wings,,,but here cheering for the home town teams....xxxxooo

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:01 am

Good morning, at least for a few more m8nutes!

Just got home from church, haven't even changed out of my dress and pantyhose yet! Needed to put my feet up in my recliner first. You see, in the middle of the first line of the opening hymn today, my bad knee and hip, decided that they would go out, so I conducted the Hymn doing my best imitation of a stork, standing on my good leg! I managed and did the other hymns too. Other than that, church was wonderful!

We got a strange mix of snow and rain last night, but the plows came through and brined the streets well. But I'm home and not leaving to go anywhere the rest of today or tomorrow if I can help it!

So in a short time, I'll hobble down to my Batt Cave and play with projects that are near finishing.

Stay safe, Hugs and prayers,
Jana

Return to “Sew ins”