Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SATURDAY, January 13th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SATURDAY, January 13th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:38 am

Good morning from chilly Baton Rouge,

JUDI - how did your sewy day go? How much sewing did you get done and how much snow did you get? I love sewy days when I can sew all day long looking out the window over my sewing machine and watch it. And as for dishwashers, the new machines and soaps are designed to work better with the enzymes from small food particles, so prewashing is discouraged. Though Scottie likes to help with that. And when we leave home for more than just a couple of days, I have learned (the hard way) to put a wooden spoon in the door of the dishwasher to let in air so it doesn't mold inside.

JANA - happy birthday to Stu! I remember when he was 12! Indeed, where do the years go? My two DGSs are 26 and 30. I'm glad you're going to get to meet Molly. Love that she has red hair - I'm rooting for her!! Good news on Michael's cardio appt. Is he clearned now for another 6 months?

KATY - I hope your storm isn't as bad as you described. Glad to hear your DD didn't have an MI. But perhaps this epeisode will give her a greater appreciation of the stress you have been under for quite a while. Does she live in Springfield? How far is that from you? How is Jim doing?

LOIS - It seems that on this forum, we often do things en masse. A few years ago several of us had to get new fridges - then dishwashers. Last year, some of us had new babies in the family. Marriages. Etc. I hope you aren't starting us on a year of new washers/dryers! I like my 30 yr old set! And I hope yours turns out to be reasonably repairable after all.

VAL - How did your dr appt go yesterday? I'm sorry, but I read the truck part of your post to Bill and we're both laughing! Even though it's not really funny. We're easily amused. I kind of feel left out though - your truck didn't call me! But that's pretty clever of the truck to set up a conference call!

MARY Q - yes, My sister and I both did the hand embroidered fifty state flowers. I also did the fifty state birds (which included the flowers as well). It's truly a labor of love! And I love embroidery! And to answer your question about Other Gramma - I have no idea what she does when she visits. I don't think she babysits. I kind of got the feeling that Antonio might not trust her to babysit. Aut says she sits on the couch and waits for lunch to be served. Her last visit she had Covid when she arrived (guests get tested at their house!) so Antonio sent her back home to Georgia.

LYN - So sorry for your laptop woes. I live with a geek - his degree is computer science and his profession was IT among other things for City of Tacoma. He thinks if you have a virus you should wait until the virus is removed before you back up, otherwise you will back-up the virus, too. I probably stated that wrong since I can barely find the ON button but hopefully it makes sense. Stay warm! We'll be in Austin by tomorrow afternoon. By mid-week we'll be in teens for lows and low 30's for highs. And you're right - a big deal down here in Texas!

CHRISS - are you cold, too? Are you sewing? How is Jerry feeling this week? I'm glad that tree won't really pose a problem for you right now. But if you suddenly get a herd of cattle you might have to fix the fence. And sorry your neighbor no longer plays nice. We have a new neighbor across the road that is a real jerk. Moves in and suddenly it's HIS neighbohood and he doesn't like us because he didn't agree with a campagin sign we put up 3 yrs ago.

Yesterday while driving, I was perusing the 2021 holiday issue of BLOCK magazine. On pg 7 is a gorgeous Hawaiian quilt I've loved since that magazine came out but it was just a photo - no pattern, no info about it. But it reminded me I wanted to Google Hawaiian fabrics thinking of making a quilt for my good friend who has a second home in HI. And suddenly there was that quilt on my phone! At Maui Quilt shop. And I even still had the magazine picture open on my lap! I called that an omen so I ordered the pattern immediately. Only the Lord knows when I'll ever get time to make it. We made camp a little earlier so I went though the fabrics I have on board and gathered up all I need for my Cats in PJ's. I plan to start on that after we get set up again in Austin. I don't sew on the road. Too cumbersome to get everything out and set up for just an hour or two. Plus, I'm tired after a day in the truck. Today is another driving day. If it weren't for Miss Amara, I'd be so homesick by now. I'm starting to feel the pull for home but I will be happy to spend a little more time here with her.

Thinking of you all! So glad I can take you on my travels with me - otherwise I'd REALLY be homesick!!

mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: SATURDAY, January 13th

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:53 am

Good morning ,

I have been up the weather was really terrible the wind and the hard rain I didn't sleep so I will probably be like a zombie today.
Well the verdict came back and the bottom line is I need a new machine so I've been looking at machines on line and saw they have agitators in them again we have time still on this one the guy when he was here yesterday told us we have about 2 more months on this one but we wont wait that long.

We got a text yesterday that my sister Rosie's mother in law passed she was 101+1month so no plans yet .

Today I have 1 more load of wash and so cleaning to do and if I finish all that I will sew.

Mary that baby will light up when she sees you and Bill.
Safe travels.

Well that's it for me everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:46 am

Morning
Maryz safe travels. I love to travel, but the best part us getting home.
Lois, 101 yrs. Wow. Her family was truly blessed.
Maryq, we are staying warm in this brutal cold weather. But my sewing room and guestroom are closed off and not heated, so someone sew for me
Flo

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:49 am

Good morning snowy, windy and 25 here, I was awakened this morning by the snow plows. The store across the street has a plowing service and that guy gets up early....I feel for my neighbors their bedroom sits right by their driveway and parking lot. June complains a lot about the noise. they have lived there for 60 yrs...and the store building has been there too.
Today I have nothing planned. Ken says he will get the tractor out later and plow our driveway we have about 2 inches of frozen snow there is some ice involved there too. He does have snow gear to wear and doesnt mind the cold..raised in Northern Michigan,,,,
Yesterday I worked on row one of the geese quilt...after the first pieces went together (only had to frog one seam it was crooked) I have almost one row done, 40 pieces in each row of 5 total. It does go pretty quick but I am trying to make sure the colors are evenly spaced..For some reason I love this pattern.
Flo I am so sorry about your heating whoas..Hope you get all your rooms back to heat...would a small electric heater be enough to heat up your sewing room. One of my bathrooms has n o heat run,,,(original owners were adventerous and like a cold bathroom????yeah we dont know why either,,,100 yr old house...we remodeled the bathroom but it would have take and act of God and a new heating system to fix what they did,,,so we have a heater in there that is used for showers in the cold...other wise the door is left opened for heat, it works.
Lois hope your washer makes it through the month laundry,,,I have an agitator and a mechanical machine no electronics..oh how the salesman tried to talk me into the new fangles front loader with all the whistles and bells...it was pretty and expensive...Even Ken asked me if i was sure...My take....if it sorted and loaded the clothes and put them in the dryer when they were done,,,then folded and put them away I would consider it....since it didnt I opted for the old fashioned agitator. hope the wind gows away here too.
Mary hope the rest of your travels are smooth one more sleep to Texas...When I lived there it got down to 19 degrees,,,,the news was begging for extra blankets and heater , folks were so not used to the cold...farmers and ranchers worried about their crops and cattle so not used to the cold..I hope you packed warm clothing,,and a jacket or 2...Even when we go to florida we pack light jackets and some ever loving zipped sweatshirts...I have several here too...they are ratty but I love them..
Well I need to get some more coffee and see what the big guy has planned...He probably will be content to not do anything today excpt the snow...Might made him some hot chocolate for when he comes in from that....HUGs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:05 am

Judi I had a front loader that didn't last this one that on its way out was no agitator just something in the very bottom I wish I could have kept my mother inlaws ringer washer but there was no room for it.

Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:10 am

Good morning!

Cold and the snowflakes always falling. Looks to be several inches at the time being, with more all day. The brunt of this storm will be tonight. We have no place to go, scavenger hunt is done! Just need to put the last away, it's still in the back of the Highlander in the garage. Nothing that needed refrigeration, but that would not have mattered to much, as the garage is at the same temperature as my refrigerator!

So today is a sew day! Molly seems to be a nice girl. I have a few reservations, so will see.

Stay warm, do fun stuff,
Hugs and prayers,
Jana

womster

Post by womster » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:00 am

Morning, all.

I have been fighting something off and finally decided it was allergies, but no. I have an URI so I shall hunker down and rest. We are currently at -12 and supposed to get down to -22. I am so grateful our furnace is fixed. Please sew for me as well. xoxo Sharona

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:51 pm

Good afternoon. It's a soggy day today. The rain has been steady but not heavy. I see a few more limbs and branches have fallen. If it's dry tomorrow, Moose and I will go pick up branches and put them in the burn pile with the cardboard. I also have some papers to burn, thankfully it's burning season, I'm a permit holder. And, if it's ever not burning season you are allowed to build a warming fire. You can also put a grate over it and call it a bbq.

This morning was quilt group. It was decided we would make red, white and blue blocks to hand out to our local vets. We have a few ready to dole out and will make blocks to put into a sampler quilt.

So here's a crazy story, if you want to skip down it won't hurt my feelings. I have a hair brush that is plastic with rounded tip cap like things on the end of each bristle. I've had this brush for ever. The cap things are a tannish color. So, I started seeing these little tannish things on the counter and one fell onto my shirt. I thought OH NO! bugs, maybe even lice. ugh, then I noticed that it was the cap things from my brush. So today after my meeting, I splurged on myself and bought myself a brand new brush.

Maryz, I have fun on your trips too. I'm especially thankful that I can sit here and read what we are up to with a quilt on my lap and slippers on my feet. I think the idea of a herd of cattle isn't even on my radar. Although, I have thought about getting some goats so I don't have to weed eat this summer.

Lois, hope you get a nap in today. Sorry you need a new washer, hope you find the perfect one.

Flo, I'll go sew for you right after I have soem lunch.

Judi, happy nothing planned day. Did Ken love his hot chocolate?

Jana, perhaps Molly was just a little nervous about meeting all of you, and your next get together will be more comfortable.

Sharon, hoping you are feeling better very soon.

Well, I imagine it's time for me to get some lunch. Hope you all have a groovy day
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:30 pm

Chris... Ken opted for hot tea instead...so he got that and is now in his man cave watching a show called "Forged in Fire" about guys that make swords and knives that kill,,,ancient weapons...I really tried to watch it with him but failed miserably...am now in my sewing room sewing and watching the wind blow the trees around xxxooo

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:57 pm

Judi, I'd be staying inside with hot chocolate. That's what we did at my friends last week when it was snowing. We hung out in the sewing room and watched it though the windows.

Jana, sounds like you are getting a lot of snow this year. That drive the other day sounded miserable.

Chriss, definitely time for a new hair brush. I tend to keep mine too long too.

Lois, bummer about the washer. They certainly don't make them like they used to.

My sister's aunt Dorothy passed away on Sunday. She was 106. Crazy how long some people live.

I've been getting stuff ready for my class at Road 2 CA this week. I'm taking an indigo dying class. It's going to be sew much fun.

My brother has been in the hospital since Wednesday. He's had COPD for years. He's been living with my dad, and my dad has dementia. So when the everyday things change it makes my dad really confused. It's been a rough few days for us all.

Well I need to go trace some redwork patterns I've been working on.

Have a wonderful day.

Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”