Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday January 11,2024

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Thursday January 11,2024

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:37 am

Good morning,

It's cold here it's about 41 out.
Yesterday we finally found a desk after a search but now it's done and will be delivered next friday.
We picked up the computer and will set it up after the desk gets put together.
But for now I will clean out the other one .
I have some wash that needs my attention after the gym today .
Quick question did anyone have trouble getting on the forum yesterday afternoon I couldn't get back on ..

Well that's all the news from here I hope Everyone has a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Re: Thursday January 11,2024

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:50 am

Good morning,

LOIS - glad you found your desk. Do you have a whole room designated "office" or will the desk go into a corner of another room? My Bill has a whole office, but he's used to an office full of computer "gear". He actually has two desks and two computers, towers, printers, etc! It's his happy place, like my sewing room is mine. And yes, even though I was using my phone, I couldn't get on QIAD yesterday either.

VAL - such good news about Josiah! Have they pinpointed a problem or diagnosis yet? Prayers continue. Have you decided yet if you're going to Reno?

CHRISS - You don't use your baby changing table to iron any more? But like you said, I'm sure it makes a great TV stand for when you're sewing. I "read" while I sew. Audio books. Music is nice, too, but I'm as much a bibliophile as a quilter and this way I can do both at the same time. And you are right - I'm anxious to refresh all my lip prints on our Kumquat. But I'll hold myself back and let that other gramma have her time before I swoop back in.

LYN - Are you going to put batting in your quilt or make it a coverlet? I made my crazy quilt king size and omitted the batting. Otherwise it would never have fit into my washer. I backed it with flannel. Makes it cozy and it doesn't slip around on the bed as easily.

MARY Q - well, we found Lois a desk yesterday. Did we find you an ironing station? Happy birthday to your Jen!

SHARONA - I love your term, "Snackage"! I'm going to steal that! I think it was also you who coined "The A Team" for A&A&A. They loved it and now that's how they refer to their little family! :D Hope your i-pad arrives and is just what you needed/wanted.

FLO - glad you are keeping your chickens warm! Did you figure out the propane leak? Did you really leak off 500 gallons of propane??

JANA - I hope Sandee finds a new job quickly! Seems like you've hinted before that things at that school just weren't up to par. What's the snow situation at your house?

DIANE - I agree! How did it get to be 2024?? I remember when a new show came on TV - "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". And it was set far into the future - 1968!

JUDI - did you get your Geese in Motion yesterday? I just happen to have that issue of BLOCK with me with the pattern. It's been fun 'following along' with you. Basically, it's just like Eleanor's braid quilt only the rows go horizontal instead of vertical and they appear to be flying geese. Someone asked if there was a tutorial on Geese in Motion. There is. Jenny Doan from QIAD put one on U-tube.

Today we'll be crossing the Florida Panhandle on I-10. 320 miles. It was a good drive going east - good road, light traffic. Hoping for the same going west.

Wishing a good day for everyone!
mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:52 am

Good morning It is snowing here and around 32, I wont be going out. I have everything I need, Just need to find something for supper. I usually go to the freezer in the morning and hunt...
I have laundry started and I will clean a bathroom today I only got to one yesterday,,,(White tile needed extra work) I always find a little time to work on the quilt.
Maryz glad your travels are going good...St Christopher is still a saint in my book and guides the travelers...the geese quilt is similar to EB's braid but with the geese added, It is tricky to start the braids but goes smoothly after the initial start, Jenny Doan does a lot of quilts that have been done before with her own twist, Having "shared" Colleen babies with the other Gramma I hear you,,,but the "prefered" gramma tends to be the Mom's mom. my grandkids are a lot closer to me than the other,,,but with my son's the other gramma tended to be with them more...I am still loved but have learned to except second place with a few of them...When we are together they argue over who is Grammas favorite. On Christmas Eve my one grand daughter wore a shirt that said "Grammas favorite" ( on purpose) started the friendly arguement all over again,
Lois so glad you found a desk and are happy with it, We have 4 desks in this house...Ken has one in his work room. Another in the kids room up stair and a third is just parked in the basement unused,,,I have a table set up in my sewing room that is desk,,,for paying bills and doing paper work...that is in my "office".
Hope you all have a great day. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:12 am

Good morning All
Just another cold day here. Expecting blizzard conditions starting tonight. Three to five more inches of snow on top of 4 inches we already have. I am making a town run today. Need to go to library then walmart for cat supplies. Also will go on scavenger hunt for a few items in case I get snowed in for days.
PRAYERS needed for my daughter and my x. My x started a leak around his difibulator. He is now in hospitol in Peoria. My DD is in hospitol for possible heart attack. She does a stress test today. My guess it was, since she was having chest pains a few days ago.
Yesterday sewed another lotto block. I really like these blocks. I think I wil be making a quilt from this pattern.
Judi Isnt it funny when they argue over grandmas favorite. Mine always argued over who my favorite was. I never told them. I love them all. LOL
Lois Glad you found a desk. Its hard to find just what you want.
Maryz Be careful on your travels.
I need more coffee and get ready for town.
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:52 am

Morning
Didn't figure out leak, but with refill no smell. Propane guy said that amount of use is normal for system our size. We have 2 small individual wall mount Propane heaters that sip fuel, one in garage and one in master bedroom. We picked up a third for living room/kitchen area. Will use big system when really with a very low temperature to keep pipes from freezing, and small heaters for warmth.
Today will wrap outer lower edges of chicken play yard with plastic so they can be outside and not as cold. It seems the chickens need the daylight for egg production.
Have a sew great day
Flo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:25 am

Good morning everyone, slept better last night and feel like I can actually function today. I do have to work again today. Meeting at 8:45 and then 2 patients in the Napa Valley. I love driving up hiway 29. It is always so peaceful and calming.

Mary I guess I didn't tell the whole story. This all started on Nov 6. My DD and Josiah had a collision when DD tripped over her DD dog. They both fell and Josiah either hit his head on the floor or DD knee or something. We are not sure. He immediately began screaming and then just passed out. DD called 911. When the paramedics arrived, he had woken up. They examined him and felt he was okay. That he just passed out from crying so much. I don't remember if it was that day or the next that she continued to feel that he was just not acting himself. He was vomiting also so she took him to the ER. He has had a steady downhill course since then. He has had multiple ER visits as the vomiting has continued, his balance has been off, he was sleeping most of the day. Definately not acting like a 2 yr old. At one point they did do a CAT scan and said nothing showed. DD has been pushing for another CAT scan for at least 6 weeks. On Dec 13th I think it was (this could be wrong it may have been the 20th), she was told after some blood testing that there was nothing medically wrong with him. This was all psychological. I have tried to encourage her to keep pushing for the second CAT scan but they kept saying he didn't meet the criteria. Vomiting, balance off, sleeping, crying from sun up to sun down (unless he was asleep) was criteria enough for me following a head injury. It was not until he collapsed in the bathroom the other morning and seized all the way to the hospital that they decide maybe they should do the CAT scan. It should the bleed in the brain. With the surgery, there was old blood so we think the bleed has been slowly leaking since Nov 6. I am thinking he is out of the woods we just don't know what the long term effects will be. He was developing slowly as it was so we will just have to pray he will be okay. And if not, we will deal with it. He is signed up for early intervention already. Not sure when it can start now but hopefully it will as soon as possible. We have not idea how long his hospital stay will be.

For now I am not going to go to Reno. Their weather is bad. Flights are $500 - $600 right now. Ski season so guess the prices go up. Amtrak apparently didn't run some of their routes yesterday due to the snow. I thought about a bus but then thought again. If things turn South, I will have DH take off work so we can take the 4 wheel drive.

Plan to day is to sew another lotto block or two before I start the day job. One phone call from last night but didn't have to go out. For now, need to get some breakfast, unload the dryer and start a bit of sewing.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:57 am

Good morning!

Well, you asked about snow here, I've got a doozy of a snow adventure! Yes, we got snow yesterday afternoon. About 18 inches, in about 4 hours. And it fell while I was making the orchestra run with Ethan. Thank goodness I have a sure footed Highlander! The normal amount of time driving Ethan to orchestra is about 35 minutes, one way. The trip down took about 10 minutes more and was uneventful. Back home was a whole different story! Took me nearly 2 1/2 hours, in total chaos white out conditions! I couldn't see anything farther than ten feet in front of my hood! The roads were thickly covered in snow, very fast and the plows were busy in other places than I was. We drove very slowly with lots of traffic. I stayed off the freeway as it was beyond backed up too. Well we made it home finally, safely too. Sarah had not left yet, so I called her and as soon as practice was over, she was loaded up and left. Took her 3 1/2 hours to get home.. I am not a experienced driver in the snow, even after living here 12 years, it still scares the daylights out of me! I am a very beginner rookie , but made it yesterday! Daniel took nearly 3 hours from his office in SLC as well, even with his Jeep. At one point, he helped pull a large semi out of being stuck as it was blocking the whole road. He then came over and shoveled off the driveway for us. When we finally got into Herriman city limits, there was a bumper thumper on the other side of the street, so being the good citizen I am, I called to get them help. Aaron! He was on duty in all of this, so he came to their rescue. There's method to my madness in that, it put Aaron on the same side of town as me, if I needed him! LOL! Today is just a lingering shower or two, but I do need to go out. Michael has a Dr appointment early this afternoon. It's here in town, so not far away. So goes the adventure at Jana's! Want to build a snowman? I've got plenty to do that!

So not much planned here. All my kids are working from home today, well except Aaron, he's on duty. Hopefully I can make one of the three grocery store runs and get that done. So want to sew!

Stay safe, stay warm, many prayers for all,
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:27 am

Good morning Girls

Oh My Gosh!!! There is sun in the sky today !!!! But, as usual in Minnesota winter... when the sun shines... it's COLD Like only 13* above today!!! another great day to stay inside! And I'm so lucky to have Katie next door, she grabs the mail everyday so I don't even have to go outside for that!!!

Lois... Congratulations on finding a desk!!! You have a whole week to get ready for it and find the perfect place to put it!

Maryz... Do you have your bright red lipstick to plant those kisses? When my kids were little, I carried red lipstick in my pocket sometimes, then I would tell them that if they didn't behave, especially in public, that I would kiss them with bright red lipstick! When DEX and I worked together sometimes, I would plant one on him too and make him go talk to a customer with lipstick on his cheek! :lol: :lol:

Judi... Hope you can find something good for supper! One of the times I was awake in the night I thought maybe I'd pull out some chicken and make some of my cheesy chicken soup! It used to make it with white and/or wild rice, but now that carbs are an issue, I'll skip the rice! When you get your Geese all put together, text me a photo and I'll post it for you ! I watched the tutorial last night .. Might have to check my supply of jelly rolls or the box of 2.5" strips in my garage! :lol:

Katy... Most definitely sending prayers for Jim and your daughter!!! That lotto block is a fun one isn't it. I've got squares all lined up to sew to make a quilt out them.... but maybe I should finish a few other things first! :lol: :roll: Be careful out there on the roads and bundle up!

Flo.... Good to know there is no leak after all! I suppose you can go through a lot of propane when temps get down. Kris's folks use propane too and get a big tank full in the fall and depending on the weather have to fill up a couple times. They have a deal they can pre=pay, so if the cost goes up over the winter, they are locked into the lesser price!

Valerie... After reading the story of Josiah... I'm a little upset at the darn doctors!! How do they not trust a mother and grandmother's intuition that some thing is wrong!! Another of the many times I was awake last night, I thought of that sweet boy and sent a quick prayer for him!!

Jana... OH my gosh!!! Your snows travels almost had ME breaking out in a sweat!! I have driven in snow storms exactly like that and hence now am the worlds biggest chicken. SO glad you got home safely. The key to it, is driving slowly, something a LOT of drivers forget!

I suppose I should get up and get to work here. I do have one load of laundry going, but my kitchen needs some attention. I hate unloading the dishwasher, so haven't done it for a couple days... that's 1st on the list this morning. Then we will see what the rest of the day brings. Peg and I did go a couple thrift stores yesterday, but didn't find anything for my ironing board. Did find some nice pieces of fabric--even a piece that might work for a backing! And of course a few John Grisham books--even bought one I'd already read!! Guess I should make a list of the books I've already read!!!

Washer just played it's lovely little tune to let me know it's done..

Wishing you all the most lovely thursday!

womster

Post by womster » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:58 am

Good morning -

Lois – yay for finding a desk. I bet you can’t wait to get it all set up.

Maryz – haha – glad I could help. One of my sisters started using it years ago. The ipad did arrive but I won’t set it up until I get the otterbox defender case for it, as I have a propensity for dropping/kicking/spiking ipads and iphones. It’s supposed to come today. The old ipad will be headed to Ohio. I never missed “Voyage to the bottom of the Sea”. I thought David Hedison was a treat. Save travels to your new destination.

Judi – I agree with the favorite grandma thing, but with my younger son I am definitely the favorite, as my DIL’s mom is somewhat of a nut bar. And my older son’s other grandma is from Russia (but living in NY), so I get to see him a lot more. But at least they skype a lot. On another note, he won’t be visiting Russia any time soon. Becauase he’s 18, his mom and grandma fear he will be conscripted into their army.

Katy – oh my gosh – when it rains, it pours. Prayers sent up for both Jim and your daughter. Good luck with the blizzard. You are smart to be prepared.

Flo – sure hope you guys stay warm.

Valerie – I was going to ask you if this was the grandson that was involved in the fall. How VERY frustrating they waited so long to do an MRI. Prayers continue for your family.

Jana – stay warm!

Maryq – so glad you got to see the sun today. Sorry you’re still on the hunt for an ironing station.

DH just announced it’s time to go to Walmart. Actually it was right when I hit Jana's post, so this has turned into a drive-by. I was supposed to meet my BFF for breakfast today but started feeling sick last night. No clue what it is – hope it passes soon. When we get home I’ll be out in the sewing hole. Starting tonight, we will be below 0 for 96 hours. Brrr! Have a glorious day. xoxo Sharona

Update - bad from Walmart but DH forgot to push the hold button. It takes about 45 minutes to heat the shop to 63, so I punted since it’s almost lunchtime. :?
Last edited by womster on Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:35 am

Good morning girlfriends. It's going to be a wonderful day today.

The sun is up and making the dew on the grass sparkle like diamonds. Birds are out having their breakfast. It's just pretty out there.

My GriefShare meeting has been moved from this evening to this afternoon. I am so glad that I will be home before dark, even if it does mean taking a chunk out of the day.

Last nights storm caused a tree to fall and damage my fence, it will be dealt with when the weather is better. We are supposed to get another storm this weekend.

Lois, I had trouble signing onto the forum yesterday too. Yay, you found a desk. So nice to have that search behind you.

Maryz, have a safe trip. You might invest in some chap stick so those lip prints are soft. Hoping the other grandma has to go home early. Where is she staying while visiting? Hope the kids aren't having to house her.

Judi, happy hunting. Dinner here will be leftover roast that we had last night. We also used to say I'm grandma's favorite when we were with my grandma. I'd say she loves me most then my son would say it. It made grandma smile.

Katy, prayers for both your DD and your ex. I was at the store the other day looking at dog treats. They want 12 and 14 dollars for a pound of treats. Poor Moose, he will have to forgo the treats for a while. I also really like that lotto block, and it makes a cool quilt.

Flo, the turkey ranches here have their lights on all night. As long as the turkey's are awake they eat, and get fat for thanksgiving meals. If it's dark they will sleep, I imagine it's the same for chickens. stay warm, hope that everything works out for your propane stuff.

Valerie, wow. I didn't realize Josiah had been going through this for a couple of months. Prayers for him and DD too. Hope there is no reason for you to rush to Nev. and taht your next visit there will be good. Nice to have a good nights sleep. and to get to have a peaceful drive today.

Jana, I am so glad I don't have snow. And, since there is none on the mountain outside my house I imagine it's pretty sparce up the hill. Although schools were on a two hour delay. Hoping Michaels doctor goes well.

Maryq, when you saw the sun did you recognize it right away or were you curious and did research to see what it was? We don't use our dishwasher but wash dishes by hand. I leave them in the drainer overnight. In the morning we have breakfast and I unload and reload that drainer. I do dishes twice a day.

Sharon, hope you feel better soon. I was in WM the other day. They have sip up hoodies by Tried and Tru. They are $15. I have three of them but there are easily 5 or mor colors. Everytime I am in that store I have to talk myself out of buying another one. The three I want are a greenish, a navy blue and a taupe color.

Well I clearly need a shower, breakfast and to get ready for my meeting. Jerry will, like he does every single day, sleep either in his chair or go to bed and take an almost day long nap. Guess he has to prep for going to bed each night. He won't go anywhere other than doctor stuff. As long as he can do for himself I go do things I want to go do.

Anyway, off I go,
chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”