Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

FRIDAY, January 5th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

FRIDAY, January 5th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:46 am

Good morning,

Today, after traveling 1300 miles in 5 days, we will meet up with my sis and dbil (Al & Tina) at their friends' property halfway down the Florida Atlantic coastline. We'll be there until about Jan 14th. And we're still deciding what we're going to do after that. We thought we might go back to see the kids for another week but Antonio's parents will be there.

CHRISS - yay for clean teeth! I love the feeling. I hope your appt didn't take all day leaving you no time to sew. I know everything is quite a drive for you. And I bet Moose is slurping up the water now that he is sporting a shiny new bowl! Now I'm kind of looking askance at Scottie's. What a ratty old bowl he has - and worse - he has to share with a cat!!

SHARONA - so sorry to hear about your friend's DH. I feel for them both and sent up a prayer for them. Did you get your recalcitrant block back in line yesterday?

JANA - yes - get the info! We all want to know about Molly! What does she do? As for the train, I've known people to have their trains up all year long with tracks running all over the house, through "tunnels" in walls, through various rooms. Family just learns to step over them. lol! Enjoy your pretty snow!

LYN - did you find any good new old stuff yesterday?

VAL - we rarely eat out in restaurants. Prices have gone up dramatically and quality has gone down. Sorry you're losing your LQS's. I prefer to touch/feel fabric when I'm shopping, but many small shops will send you fabric. Mine did even though she didn't have a website to order. I could call her, tell her what I needed. She would gather up fabrics that might work, send me a photo, then cut and mail my choice. So perhaps your more distant shops can still help you out that way in a quilty emergency. Not ideal, but it's something. I am hoping to get my machine set up soon now that we'll be set down for about 10 days. I want to get a few Jan lotto blocks made.

LOIS - Glad you got your scavenging done even with the crowds. We usually shop as soon as the store opens. And I try to avoid Fridays and Saturdays, and the 1st and the 15th of the month - the most usual paydays.

MARY Q - how are your eyes? Did you get a nap in? Even when I have sleepless nights - like last night - and end up getting up at 0300, I just cannot nap. I do try sometimes and just end up laying there and getting bored. But anytime after 7pm - I'm nodding off in my chair! You are making swift work of those pillowcases and UFO's. Will you send those finished UFO's with the pillow cases?

JUDI - So is Christmas all completely put away for the year now? Glad you are stocked up on backings. I have two totes full of backings (cuts >3yds), but sometimes I still need to go shopping. I like your Geese in Motion quilt. It will look great in Christmas fabrics. You are making me want to sew with Christmas fabrics! I'm hoping to find at least one LQS in FL.

FLO - glad your niece is adding to your quilt. It will be special. It's an emergency in this house, too, if we run low on coffee creamer, which we are in danger of doing right now. Plain powdered Coffeemate and french roast coffee in our house.

Well, it's time to pop into the shower and get myself moving.

wishing you all a great quilty day!

mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Re: FRIDAY, January 5th

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:12 am

Morning Maryz and all to follow,
Maryz, i usually keep my creamer in freezer....but I oopsed....I had to use milk...blahhh.
Today is cold, but it is winter. Yesterday I made blueberry sugar cookies....they were awesome. I just added some blueberry extract to cookie dough. We have a amish market near by that has an amazing assortment of baking stuff...next batch will be strawberry sugar cookies with white chocolate chips....
Not sure what today will bring. Christmas is put away, but my sewing desk is stacked with stuff to get through....will probably do that so I can use my sewing machine.
Flo

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:49 am

Good morning!

It's cold! And more snow! Yippee! The snow door has finally opened and the storms are starting to roll through.

Not much here. I can finally get to assembling the new trundle bed for the guest bedroom. It's literally a box of sticks! The bed has been here for awhile, but I used that room for storage of the empty Christmas totes. We get the beds built, then double check the space for the mattress. Since the trundle is under, it has a restraint. The the great office move! I'm so ready for that!

I have great plans to get a few of my UFO's done. I have all what I need, except nerve! I have some really favorite tops that I don't want to mess up . I'll get there..... I hope!

Just waiting on my furnace to come on, then , when it's warm, I'll start my day.

Hugs,
Jana

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:50 am

Good Morning All
Sorry I have not been on here but my life has been one battle after another. First I had to fight to bring Jim here for christmas. Then my son came home for the holidays. Might have known something was up. He has not celebrated xmas in years. After xmas we went to visit my cousin. everything seemed ok. Then all
hXXX broke loose . He informed me they were selling the car unless I wanted to pay 10000 for it. you might say I got a little hot under the collar. I told them fine sell the car but I would not sell the farm. That put a jinx in there plans. Then once everyone took off I told them they can't set foot on my property and I still had the car. My DB is fixing mine. I would love to keep the prius but that price is not good for me. I did have the farm appraised. For now we are at a stand still.
I have not been sewing but will get back to it soon. All xmas decorations except the tree are down. The tree comes down Sunday. I am celebrating on the 10th I have been divorced for 10 years and I am going to start having fun. No more drama in my life. My sisters and I take short trips.
Now no more gripping about anything.
Flo Those cookies sound amazing.
Mary z Safe travels when you go.
You all have a great sewing day
I need more coffee and get to work
Katy
PS Barney is doing great. He had a wonderful xmas.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:54 am

Good Morning it is light out and cloudy (again) I have a load of laundry going and the bed made..did a lot of spring cleaning yesterday one room is done...Lois, Since we spend the month of feb away I try to get as much SC as i can,,it makes March easier since the outside starts to need some work....I dont do a lot outside but there still is dead stuff and winter debris to clean up and Liam helps with that, Ken will be teaching a class in March so I try to keep him out if the house work...He still has 2 other jobs...( Dont fret... He gets a nap everyday ) his classes are about 6 weeks each, He does a lot of consulting on his jobs and leaves the heavy work for the yougins..
Today I need to get prescriptions and a few groceries...then I will hit the sewing room desk to start gthering year end paper work. and compiling the tax papers and purging the files ...it is about one day...of paperwork. thn to wait or the tax W2s to come in th mail or get printed off the net.
I did get much of the geese quilt cut out,,,still a few pieces to go...A big problem I have is the jelly rolls I have have a pinked edge with almost a quarter inch of "pink" making them wider than 2 1/2 in. I have to trim each strip to make them work.. then cut them into squares,,,This jelly roll was given to me,, I dont think I would buy an all white jelly roll like this. but trying to be patient and use much of what I have,,,For this quilt I di buy a yard of border. but the rest is stash.
Hope you are all as busy as you want to be,
Flo those cookies sound amazing, are you sharing the recipe with us,,,
Maryz I hope you get to see the baby at least one more time...I have found a few quilt shops in Florida but I find they sell a lot of pastel, and tropical fabrics too..I goggle "Quilt Shops near me" where ever I go...usually come up with something,
Everyone have a wonderful day,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
PS Katy stand your ground sounds like the kids are only interested in money and not your well being, or Jims for that matter.
Jana have fun digging into the ufos..you are a talented lady you can and will finish them

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:49 am

Good morning beautiful ladies. It's going to be a great day today. My computer tells me it's 38* right now but says it feels like 39*. We are supposed to see 51* before the day is over, wonder if it will feel like 51* or will it feel like 52*? Rain is supposed to come Saturday and Sunday will be clear.

I saved myself from having to go into town today. I want an electric toothbrush. Was going to go get one but found a deal on Amazon, using my points and bing search points I was able to get the price down and will see it on Tuesday. woo hoo.

Dinner tonight will be chicken breasts stuffed with a spinach cream cheese mixture, tomorrow burgers.

Today my plan is to clean a little, sew a little and do some paperwork. It would be wonderful if Jerry would wake up a little earlier so that I don't have to be quiet.

Hope your day goes wonderfully,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:20 am

Good morning All

SWDD... Same weather, different day! Cloudy and cold. Good day to stay inside and sew. And since it's not my "shower day" I will do just that... tomorrow I definitely have to go out for groceries and I've finally made use of all the left overs in the fridge! It's pretty empty now with only a couple icky apples and bottle of wine! :lol:

Maryz... My Eyes are all good, no change, no glaucoma, no issues at all. Won't need new glasses! :) :) Even tho they were dilated I didn't have any problem seeing anything when I got home and got busy cutting out 22 pillowcases. Have you ever met Antonio's parents? Do you want to? :lol: :lol: I'm with you, I like to feel fabric before I buy. However, I have bought a fair amount of fabric on line, from a guy in a facebook group... and it's always top notch Riley Blake -usually at $5. And since it's always scary to buy off of facebook, I limit it to people that I know and trust.. There are about 3 so far that I've had good results. You just can't beat good fabric for $5.yard

Flo... Your cookies sound delicious! Oh how I miss having cookies around the house! I bet your DS, DDIL and Lisa LOVE it when Gramma bakes... I'm assuming you share? :lol:

Jana... OH gosh.... I so know how you feel!! Every time I get a top ready to quilt myself I have to take a deep breath and dive... and remember that Finished is better than Perfect! I usually only do free motion on my little machine, and I tell people..."just don't look too close at the stitches" I'm getting better at it, but I too am always so afraid I'm going to mess it up! I'd send all my quilts out to a LA'r but it would cost a small fortune. I'm so grateful Viv will quilt for me for free----but I have to wait until she's all healed from knee surgery before I ask for anymore help. I think she already has 5 of my quilts in her que.

Katy... You stand your ground girlfriend... NO law says you have to sell the farm if you don't want to. And as for the car... if your DS can get 10 grand for it elsewhere---tell him "go for it". I don't know much about a Prius... is it electric? Seems to me they are going to find, down the road, that electric cars are going to be more trouble than they are worth.

Judi... You're going to trim all those Jelly Rolls? What a mess! I've heard that if you stitch with 1/4" from the Valley of the pinking you should come out all right. You must be a way more precise quilter than I am (maybe that's my why points aren't always totally perfect :lol: :lol: :lol: ) Have you ever heard of an app for your Phone called "Needle Travel" ... It's great... you can find any kind of needle craft shop in the US... knitting, needle point, quilting, weaving, yarn, embroidery etc. Super easy to use! It came in really handy when I was in Montanna a couple years ago!

Chriss.... Don't you get a kick out of the "Feels Like" temps!! Up here, usually anyway, about this time of year that "feels likes" comes into play when we have a wind chill factor. Knock on wood it hasn't been that cold yet. I remember times when the wind chill was 30* BELOW zero and the wind could practically rip your face off! Makes me wonder why I even live here!!! But my plan to retire to Arizona was thwarted when Jen moved to Alaska!!!! Here's a thought... maybe if you made some noise, Jerry would wake up??? If you go in your sewing room and close the door is it too loud for him? You could test that theory while he's awake... just to make sure the sound of your machine doesn't bother him.

P-O-T-D (Plan of the day) today is to get all the pillow cases pinned up and ready to sew. I get them all kind of tubed up and then can kind of assembly line do the first stitching, then while watching TV I can turn and iron and get them all ready for the next step. In between I might get another UFO pinned and ready to go as well. I'm still trying to figure out how to making a little ironing station in my kitchen (I know that sounds weird) A fellow quilter here in town gave me her old ironing board, and it's working for now, but I'd like something a little more solid. I might see what I can find at Home Depot tomorrow.... or I might go check out a thrift store a next town over and see if I can find something there. It would be fun to repurpose something! Just to clarify.... Normally people have a little dining room table in their kitchens here, but I have a big craft table and ironing board. My house actually looks more like a sewing factory!! :lol:

Speaking of sewing.. guess I better get to it! Need to warm up the coffee and crank up the music!

Wishing you all A fabulous Friday

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:37 am

Cloudy, rainy and 55°.

MaryZ, I'm glad you will be sliding into home plate aka a parking spot next to Sis today. Could you dawdle back this way and hit right after his parents leave, for a couple days of hugs and play?

Katy, Hang in there. Do we need to come help, I'm packin' and I don't mean my suitcase. :D

Yesterday was fun. Friend, Diana, and I hit a few of the Antique stores, I found a cute metal basket. We had lunch at Jason's Deli, I'd never been there, the food was good. We stopped at the Singer store, HL, and JoAnn's looking for my sashing. JoAnn's had what I needed. We also hit a couple book stores. The last was a used book store and we both found books. I thought flower beading was a new thing, but found a book published in 1969. Also bought a book on Fantastic Fabric folding, flowers.

Last evening my phone stopped working on 4G. I had to put it on my WiFi to work. It's almost 4 years old. I will search for an answer, but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to make a trip to Corpus and buy a new phone.

Hope y'all have a great day.
Lyn
Last edited by WeeOne on Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

womster

Post by womster » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:43 am

Good morning!

Maryz – have a lovely reunion with Al and Tina. Decisions, decisions on when/where to go after you leave FL. Thanks for the prayers for my friends. I did manage to get that block to comply – thanks! Love the word ‘recalcitrant’.

Flo – I hope you’re able to unstack your sewing desk so you can get to the important stuff.

Jana – I had to laugh at the box of sticks description. Good luck!

Katy – I’m so sorry for the family drama. I am appalled by your son’s behavior. It is time for you to start living large, my friend. I’m glad Barney had a good Christmas.

Judi – by pinked edge do you mean the sawtooth edge made by pinking shears, or actually the color pink? In either event – grrr. I applaud your patience. You and Ken amaze me with all you do. Jim (DH) has also started gathering all the paperwork for taxes.

Chriss – those chicken breasts sound yummy! Fingers crossed that Jerry wakes up soon. I find I usually make more noise when I’m trying to be quiet…

Maryq – eugh to icky apples. I had a pithy one several years ago and haven’t been able to eat another one since. My gosh you are a sewing whirlwind. I wish I could help you with those pillowcases, but I am so overcommitted now that I’ll be lucky to come up for air in March. And it's not with fun stuff. I love the idea of an ironing station in your kitchen! Enjoy staying in your nice, warm house.

Lyn – I LOL’d re your packing comment. If Katy needs us, I’ll be packin’ also. Sounds like you and Diana had a blast yesterday. Bummer about the phone.

DH forgot to turn the heat on yesterday, so I only got about 40 minutes of sewing. I’ve already turned it on today. We got another inch of snow – it looks like Hollywood snow – it’s very fluffy. It’s supposed to snow again tomorrow. Temps won’t be above the mid-20s for the next ten days or so. BRRR! Not much else going on here. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Return to “Sew ins”