Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday Jan4,2024

Daily discussions.
FlorenceM

Thursday Jan4,2024

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:26 am

Guide morning,
This week has been crazy. Finally went grocery shopping yesterday...I was out if coffee creamer, so things were getting serious here. I hadn't been grocery shopping since before Christmas. My neighbor was stunned, but I was a Navy wife and spent 7 years only getting Pais once a month.
Today is clean chicken play yard and bake cookies, sugar cookies with wither blueberry extract or strawberry extract...
Maryz, yes I do plan on adding a history to back of quilt ..will probably hand embroider it. My niece is crocheting a piece for me to add a new generation to quilt. I asked her to do this, and she was so happy I hear she cried...like most of my family, she lives in NJ.
Need to get moving
Flo

grammiequilts

Re: Thursday Jan4,2024

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:38 am

Good morning I was up at 630 today and just sat reading and doing a few things drinkin coffee...now I really need to get my house in order vacuum run and dust corralled...
I have a few more Christmas things to put away and it is done for another year,,,I started cutting out a second Christmas quilt...this one I added to the list last minute,,,Geese in motion,,,it has always been my favorite quilt to make...lots of pieces but I love the look..so one for Christmas seems appropriate since I have lots of jelly roll Christmas here,,,even have a bunch of 2 1/2 inch strips I can use in white too.,,,but I do need backing,,,,but since i made it to the quilt shop yesterday I am good...I dropped a small fortune on backing fabrics and have enough for all 4 quilts..Shop was crowded with shoppers and well wishers...Th Owner still owns the building and said she wont open back up but will go online....so I have to find a new place to pet fabric...nothing close though my next nearest is about 30 miles through traffic...Said my good byes to 2 of the ladies I know there,,,One is retiring for the 4th time...she keeps finding things to do. The shhp was packed with ladies and parking lot was full...I have to wonder where all these costomers were before she annouced she was closing,,,In the 2 days she annouced she made more than in the last 6 months, ( am as guilty as the next one) shopping on line in your jammies is so conveinient we have to see small businesses closing,,,,that is sad.. ..Well I need to get moving,,,Hope you all have a fun day,,,,safe travels and good wishes to all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Florence your quilt will be such a trewsure,,,great idea ti add new to the old...I living legacy for sure,,,,I have a few of my grams doilies and old linens srored in a box ,,,but not enough to do a whole quilt...maybe Ill re vist that box one dayxxxooo

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:54 am

Good morning Girls

So this it what the world looks like at 7:30 in the morning... It's still dark!!! I hate getting up when it's still dark! :lol: :lol:

The weirdest thing just happened... When I logged there were two posts for today, Judi's Started one and this one of Flo's. I clicked to add mine to Judi's and poof it was gone! Maybe Judi is up typing at the time I am :lol: :lol:

Kind of a drive by for me this morning as I have to get in the shower soon to go have my annual eye exam. It's only 18* this morning but at least that's ABOVE zero! And the Dr.'s office is only 3 blocks away, so my car won't even have a chance to warm up! I always have my eyes dilated for a check up so when I get back, I just might close them for a little perhaps for a short snooze?

Yesterday was actually a pretty productive day. I finished quilting the 'darn Peggy" quilt--tho I should think of a better name for it--- and even got the binding sewn on . Katie next door gave me a bunch of fabric that she can't use so I cut some of that up for more pillow cases and might sort them out today and get them ready to sew. When my eyes get back to normal I think I'll lay out, sandwich and pin another one of my little UFO quilts. Though I really should go get groceries. I did get a few more lottery blocks made and posted a picture over there under the topic.

For now I need to get in the shower, but I'll check in later on after my eyes get back to normal!

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:11 am

Good morning ,

I'm still in my jammies yesterday I didn't get any sewing in was tired when I got back from the scavenger hut.
Today we are taking the tree down and cleaning when zeus was here on Monday he brought the mud with him so will clean today.
I must say the stores were crowded I said to Bill what are they giving away he said well everyone got paid and the weather is going to be iffy over the weekend they keep changing it so I hope we only get a dusting :lol: .
Mary Q good luck at the eye 👁 doctors.

Well thats all the news here have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:24 am

Good morning world! Up after a sleepless night. Don't know why but just couldn't sleep last night. So I will have some coffee and start getting my sewing stuff together. It is also slow stitch tonight but I don't think I will go. By the end of Finish It class, it will be sleep time!

It is cold here, 39*! Cold for us anyway. Rain returns on Saturday but I don't think they expect much. I noticed yesterday the hills are finally starting to turn green again.

Chriss how was your trip to town? Did Moose get his new bowl? He really deserves one you know.

Lyn what are you making the cornflowers out of?

Sharona glad you had a nice birthday meal. Many of the restaurant prices have gone up here too. I have decided we eat out too much and have told DH no more. It is just eating up too many funds.

Maryq have a great eye appt. I cancelled mine when Dad passed so guess I should reschedule it. These old eyes will not get better on their own. Attorney on Monday, Urologist on Friday so maybe later in the month for the eye guy. Uhm I wonder what made that board break like that?

Jana belated BD to Daniel. Uhm a new girl in Stu's life. Can't wait to hear the verdict on that. I am sure though Stu has good taste.

Mary so sorry for your family's loss. I wish your nephew peace and joy in the eternal kingdom.

Lois I went to the grocery the other day, didn't see too many shoppers but then when I got the check out, OMG. Where did they all come from?

Judi we have lost a large number of shops here too. Vacaville is now the closest and is over 20 miles away. Petaluma is 30. There are a few other places but don't have fabrics I like. They are smaller shops so choices are minimal.

Well if I am going to get things together, my sewing room is still a mess from everything being put in there and out of the way when family was here, I must be getting. Have a great day everyone.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:39 am

A sunny morning here. We'll have more rain this afternoon into tomorrow.

Valerie, I'm beading Cornflowers. I got tired of making bracelets and found a website on making flowers, Bead & Blossom.

https://beadandblossom.com/

A friend and I are going antique shopping in Corpus today.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:01 am

Good morning!

We got a it of snow overnight and some is still falling. A good thing! Everything looks so pretty dressed in white!

Got my Christmas packed in their proper totes. Each tote is labeled as to what goes in it - and weighed too. I can overweight them easily and being old, we kept the weight limit low. Now Stu can come over and put them all away in the storage area. I also have a large donation pile that he'll load in the Highlander as well. There's one thing still up- the train. Michael wants to add more running length of track - from my great room, down towards the front door and make a return loop in the front living room. He's always been fussy about the track - it's a bit delicate, but over the years, all the kids have learned and don't step on it. They step over the track. So we can make a much longer run. They will all be happy about that! Now my magic finger will use Amazon to order the additional pieces parts needed. He also wants another passenger car too.

Not much going on here. Stu's friend is named Molly. A good thing- not another -ka- sound! You see we have, Crenda, Kate, Kari, and Karlie! Too many K's! I get more info when he puts away Christmas. Grandma needs to know!

Enjoy the day!
Hugs,
Jana

womster

Post by womster » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:19 am

Good morning!

Flo – yes, being out of creamer would definitely necessitate a run to the store. Hope those chickens appreciate their clean play yard. My DH is still pouting that I haven’t made sugar cookies. I think I’ll make them around Easter.

Judi – yay for making it to the quilt store! And congrats on all that backing fabric. It is indeed sad to see the LQSs closing, and I am also guilty of online shopping. Especially when the prices for fabric at my LQS went to $19 a yard. I hope the owner succeeds on converting to online shopping.

Maryq – oh my goodness, it’s still dark at 7:30? We’re starting to get light around 6am. Have fun at the eye dr – I definitely think you’ll need to rest your eyes after the exam. My goodness you have been on a sewing spree lately! I’m lucky to find an hour to sew. I will work on increasing that number.

Lois – I will join you in taking down the Christmas tree – we already did the big one in the basement so all that’s left is the 4’ tree in the sun room. I bet Zeus left a lot of mud behind, if he’s anything like our dog. I sure hope the stores get uncrowded soon – it gets old fighting the mob.

Valerie – your next week already sounds so busy. Hope you can squeeze your eyes in somewhere.

Lyn – the beading looks like fun, and the flowers are beautiful. Have fun antiquing.

Jana - that's a good idea to weigh the totest. Can't wait to hear about the new girlfriend.

On a sad note: my dear friend’s husband (I can’t remember if I told y’all he was diagnosed with Cardiac Amyloidosis) had surgery yesterday to remove a tumor in his lung. It was cancerous, so now the surgery that was scheduled to help him with his heart has to be postponed indefinitely until after radiation and chemo. He was only given three years to live after the Amyloidosis diagnosis. This is just terrible, awful news.

On to better things. DH turned the heat on out in my sewing hole and it’s about time to head out there. I’m finishing up the December lotto blocks that weren’t good enough to send in and working on the t-shirt quilt for a DGS. I showed him the blocks when we had our Christmas brunch, and pointed out the one that was giving me fits. He and his brother agreed on the crooked bit, so I’m off to detach/reattach and move towards assembling the top. Then I will pick out fabric for this month’s lotto.

Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:54 am

Good morning. Here we go girls, another fantastic day.

I love waking up and starting my day. The sun starts coming up over the mountain and looks like a bright pink border between the mountains and the sky. It's just stunning. I sit here and do my reading then the rest of the town wakes up. I live across the street from the elementary school and watch cars bring their kids to school. During the warmer mornings when I open up the windows, I get to hear the kids say the pledge of allegiance and then hear them playing during their recess time. Such a wonderful way to start the day.

And just like that my plan for the day has changed. My dentist who had me scheduled for February has an opening today. My teeth will be cleaned today. Yay. So instead of sewing my day away I will head up the hill for a good cleaning.

Tonight is GriefShare and I still need to do my homework. Maybe Friday would be a better sew day, Friday night is Bingo where I plan to be the big winner.

Jerry is back to being sick again. He's been sick since January and this, sadly, seems to be the new norm for him. Be sick, have chemo, feel good for a couple of days then be sick until the next chemo. I can see why people say no more, and just quit.

Flo, all is right with the world now that there is coffee creamer at your house. I vote for strawberry flavored cookies but won't be having any of them.

Judi, love the geese in motion quilt. If you want to do a trial run on that house cleaning please come here.

Maryq, yay you getting a bunch of pillow case fabric. hope the eye appointment goes well. My eye glasses popped a screw and the lens came out. I have back up glasses but can't see the hole to replace the screw. And my eye doctor is closed for a few days.

Lois, I'm still in my jammies too, but not for long. I wonder if, in addition to it being the first of the month, people aren't returning the Christmas gifts they didn't want.

Valerie, yes, Moose has his new water bowl. The old one was a copperish that was a Christmas filled "basket" kind of a thing. It was leaking. So now Moose has a big stainless steel $7 bowl. We don't go out to eat anymore either and haven't for a very long time. I was surprised when I went with a girlfriend to have a burger and it had doubled in price. I also didn't sleep well last night. hope we both sleep well tonight.

Lyn, those flowers are so cool. beads have come a long way since I was a kid and used to make bracelets using fishing line. Happy shopping, hope you find some treasures.

Jana, glad you and Stu will be working together today, not only does his grandma need to be on a fact finding mission, she needs to fill in all of his aunts. I'll wait for the news. I'll send you my list so that while your magic finger is ordeirng from Amazon my things will get ordered too

Sharon, prayers for your friends husband. Yay for a heated sewing hole. I really wanted to get into my room but am not sure if that will happen today. I love a good t-shirt quilt. I have tshirts Marilyn made for Jerry when she was younger, I want to use his flannel shirts as the background. One day it will happne.

Well, it's 9am and as my grandpa would say, the day is half over. I need breakfast and a shower, in that order.

You all have a splendid day,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”