Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUNDAY, NEW YEAR'S EVE - Dec 31st

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SUNDAY, NEW YEAR'S EVE - Dec 31st

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:06 am

Good morning,

Happy New Year's Eve! Is anyone going to stay up until midnight? We'll probably be asleep by 9pm. We used to go out dancing with a group of friends, usually to Eagles or Elks clubs, and after midnight a big breakfast was served. Lots of fun then but I was a lot younger then! :lol:

LORI - glad you are back to working on your OWL. It's a great pattern. Don't forget there is a thread here just for OWL-makers to post progress, pictures, comments, etc. I've forgotten which month you started with, but I'm thinking it was March?

CHRISS - did you make it to Costco? Our Costco is like most everything else where I live - in the woods off the main highway. And only 3 miles from our house. A mixed blessing for sure! It's probably hard to tell if Jerry is feeling lousy because of the cancer or because of the treatment. Give him a hug from me!

MARY Q - I'm loving your quilt! Purrfect use of all those FG's!! Isn't it a good feeling to have all the decorations down and packed away? I usually do a big clean, too, as I take everything down. Even when in the trailer. It just takes me about an hour to do it all instead of 3 days! That was an excellent price for your batting! And yes, I have had fabric for years because it's my "good" or favorite fabric. lol! I've only recently decided to force myself to use it. And honestly, I've been surprised to find myself actually relieved that I don't have to give it space any longer.

SHARONA - you've got a lot of furnaces, but aren't you glad you do! Sounds like an excellent excuse to hang out in your sewing shack! Glad your machines will be safe. Did you get the furnace fixed yet?

VAL - it's a busy business, settling an estate. I hope everything comes together for you easily and quickly. You must be so exhausted by now. And with everything you are doing, you still managed to get Jan Lotto up! You must have a whole closet of capes to choose from!!

JANA - glad you once again, have a walk in closet! Does Michael have his own closet or do you rent him space in yours? :lol: How soon will your floating shelves float into place? They will be very nice to display all your treasures.

LOIS - How goes the cat cutting? I should get my pattern out, too, and read it as we travel tomorrow. Though I can't start it for several weeks yet. I'll just forget and have to re-read.

FLO - You missed all the fun! We (mostly Bill) consider going to Costco a date. We always go together and he always wants to stroll every single aisle "just to see". There's always something new. We find Sunday mornings or any suppertime is less crowded. We try to not go on Fridays or Saturdays. And Costcos in other parts of the country sell different things than our home store. Interesting.

JUDI - have you been de-deccing at your house? How do you like the pizza oven? The pizza party we went to a few years ago - there were individual sized dough balls and each guest pressed out their own and chose from a selection of sauces, toppings, cheeses. They only took minutes to cook. It was great entertainment!

Today is our last day in Austin. We're going to the kids for pizza about noon and we'll celebrate Autumn's 47th birthday 10 days early. Yesterday morning we framed our 8x10 of us with Amara. She loved it! She kept patting our faces in the picture, then turning to look at us and smile. Bill put it on the wall above her big playpen, just out of her reach. And a good thing - she kept trying to reach it! She kept smiling and turning from the picture to us. Autumn laughed when they got home. She loved it. And promised we'll be doing a lot of zooming and face-timing. We made an identical picture w/frame for ourselves.

We're almost all packed up. Bill plans to hitch up tonite so our diesel engine isn't too disruptive to our neighbors at 7:30 tomorrow morning. He says, "We roll at daybreak!" :D All the way to Houston (3-4 hrs). We plan to check in with Cindy and Sue tomorrow night and from there - on to FL.

And everyone - especially Chriss! - wind those bobbins so you'll always have full ones!

Happy New Year!
mary z
<^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: SUNDAY, NEW YEAR'S EVE - Dec 31st

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:28 am

Good morning,

Tomorrow is our party everyone is excited this will be our new Christmas celebration and I think it's great.

Today I'm making salads and pies my son will bring the subs mygrandson is making a salad that he makes for the restaurant where he works and my grandaughter is making a charcuterie board with fruit and cheese what a feast I also brought some containers so they can take leftovers.

So after I'm done with salad and pies you'll be able to find me in the sewing room the cats are cut out when I'm done with the six blocks then I will cut out the rest of the background.

Mary z have a great time.

Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:29 am

Happy 123123 todays date, We are home for the rest of the year, I never make it to midnight.
Today more undecorating and packing away, it might take me all week to do this but a little a day. And cleaning too..after each room is unChristmases I miss it,,,but if I left it up it wouldnt be so special...I really dont mind putting it up or taking it down..
yesterdy was busy,,My sister gave Colleen an Amish made cherry dining room table...My DBIL bought it before he died and she wanted it gone (9yrs later) He never ordered the chairs (8 of them) so my sister just kept using her dining room set and since its a drop leaf table she just pushed it to the side,,,now she want it gone as she is remodeling that room.. so we loaded up Liam and moved it thn we came home and the boys went to the shop and I started more undecorting,, Liam Ken and Colleen got the idea for a pizza party...we fired up the new pizza oven outside (we are in the 40s) and I made 8 dough balls,,,we got 5 good pizzas and 3 not o good...as we had to leanr the ropes....it was very good...and we had a lot of fun...Nolan informed me that he will be back for more pizza.
Lois hope your party is a great time and family is always fun,
Maryz I am feeling bad today over you spending the last day with the kids...but I know you must go home sometime...Glad Amara love the photo...
Well Ken has brought me hot coffee and I need to get my act together,,,Happy nw year to you all...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

velvet

Post by velvet » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:32 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

We'll have lunch at Joe and Fran. Joe will be 54 tonight at 8:06pm. Then home around 4.

I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE THE NEW YEAR WITH HOPES OF SOME PEACE AND GOOD HEALTH.
Diane

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:52 am

Good morning Girls

**********************HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!************************

NOW, it looks like Christmas here.. There's a teeny bit of snow on the ground here, barely covering the grass! 57% chance of a little more snow today. As long as it come a little bit at a time, I'm ok with that.

Maryz... You ready to ROLL? That's right, Jen and Autumn have b'days only a day or two apart.. Jen's is the 11th, tho I don't remember what year is Autumn? I bet it was so fun to watch Amara look at the photo of you and then to you... She's made the connection and now she will know you so much better when you facetime. I don't know why I really hate using my "good stuff". Chances are I probably got it on sale anyway, or it was nice fabric that KC gave me. Since most of my quilts are given for charities I sometimes think I don't need to use the GOOD STUFF, but then why shouldn't someone who really NEEDS a nice warm quilt be less entitled to the good stuff.

Lois.... Your family feast for today sounds wonderful! You will have so much fun!!! Do you guys play board games or cards when you hang around together? For Christmas, Kevin brought over a new game called "Herd Mentality", that was fun and Sara brought "LRC--as in Left, Right Center with special dice that you play with quarters... Theoretically someone could win a pile of quarters at the end of the game! :)

Judi.... You know that expression... "yes you can eat a whole elephant, but just one bite at a time" I think that's true of UN decorating... Usually by New Years Day I'm so sick of Christmas stuff that I want it all gone ! You have WAY more to put away that I do.. Perhaps Miss Sophia would like to come over and help!? How nice for Colleen to get that table. I have my Auntie's old table that has 2 big leafs, but only 4 chairs, which I will recover the seats one of these days. My Auntie would be 102 this year, so you can image how old that table is.

Not sure I'll stay awake until midnight tonite.. though I'm sure I will be awake sometime in the night. I was awake at 0300 last night for about an hour, trying to decide which project to do today. The kids came over and got all my Christmas stuff loaded up in the attic/rafters... along with their stuff too. So I'm pretty much back to normal. My ADD kicked in a bit so while I was cleaning the garage (Shawn brought over a heater) I found a tote box with pieces to make pillow cases that I cut up last summer, so I brought those in and pinned about 12 of them. I have borders pinned to a small UFO and Another set of blocks I could sew together. I dragged a bunch of larger pieces of fabric IN from the garage looking for backing, and now they need to go back out. SO I have lots of options for ways to spend the day. Next door Katie went out to visit a cousin yesterday who happens to be a total fabric hoarder who has finally come to want to get rid of some---so Katie brought some home. She is going to share!

But First I need a shower and a quick trip to the grocery store and wine store. Might treat myself to some shrimp cocktail for supper, along with some left over taco's

Perhaps I'll peek in a little later, but if not

I wish us all, Love, happiness and good health in 2024! And All God's blessing!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:05 am

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year's Eve to each and every one of you! Wishing you all a fantastic New Year!!!!!!

I do stay up to ring in the New Year and to give DH a NY smooch 😘

We undecorated yesterday. I was planning on it taking at least 2 days but DD came over by herself and we were done in 4 hours..... she even vacuumed and dusted the living room, dining room and kitchen! I put the totes away after supper and that took me about an hour because it's a small closet and I have to fit everything in like a jigsaw puzzle.

I'll be mopping, doing laundry and cleaning bathrooms today.

You all have a safe and Happy New Year!!! πŸ₯³πŸ’ƒπŸ₯‚πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸŽ†πŸŽ‡

Tina

womster

Post by womster » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:28 am

Good morning and happy NYE.

Maryz – Yes, the furnace is working again! Woohoo. We are very fortunate to have the basement furnace (set up by the former owner whose MIL lived down there). It keeps our pipes from freezing. We will go to bed our normal time – around 9:30. Jim also considers the Costco run a date, as he gets us lunch. Ms Amara is so sweet – I can just see her patting your faces and smiling. I think Jim and Bill must be distantly related – he says β€œwe ride at dawn” – some Western-themed reference, I think. Enjoy your pizza.

Lois – I am loving your new tradition. It sounds like quite a feast! Enjoy.

Judi – what a lovely gift for Colleen. Your pizza oven is a hit! What was wrong with the three not-so-good ones?

Diane – have fun at lunch with the birthday boy and Fran.

Maryq – how very nice for the kids to get all your Christmas stuff put away. How fortuitous to find the pillow cases box! I vote for shrimp cocktail.

Tina – can I borrow your daughter?! So nice to β€˜see’ you.

As I mentioned to Maryz – the furnace is working again! Such a first-world problem, but oh my how good it feels. Plus, our hvac guy discovered we are under warranty until 2035. That is just crazy, but oh well! He even verified it online. I’m sure it’s some sort of mistake… Today is church and then back down to the basement to declutter the closets. Have a glorious day, and here’s to seeing you in 2024. Xoxo Sharona

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:30 am

Happy New Year's Eve 123123. I hope everyone has a good day and a great New Year.

MaryZ, Safe travels. Tell Cindy and Sue that we miss them.

Lois, hope your Christmas New Year's day goes well.

Judi, I bet the pizza was yummy.

I got some sewing done yesterday. I was deciding on which fabric to use for the sashing. I have a little bit of dark blue left that was used in the 4 patches. It looks really good and my quilt friend next door agreed. But, I looked it up and found out that Kona Bay Fabrics closed a few years ago. I was sure that I had bought that this past year. So, I will have to go to plan B and find a new blue. I buy fabric when we travel and I think from now on I'm going to attach a note as to when and where I bought it.

No plans for celebrating here, just a quiet night.

Talk to y'all next year.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:02 am

Good morning!

Beautiful day here. Michael was helping Daniel move the Mustang he's restoring, and tripped a fell, smacking his face, over a tow strap. Michael's sore but OK. His nose is scrapped and he made two marks between his eyes, that looks like he got bit by a snake. Michael's moving very slow from sore muscles.

Waxing philosophical today, we are turning the page on the calendar to a new year, new beginning. Just as we have been daily facing challenges and adversities, adventures and surprises, we turn the page of our life daily. We put one foot in front of the other, trusting it has a place to land. It always does! We have a loving Heavenly Father watching out for us, being there at all times. And we also have friends, you, who are the angels to be His hands to help us turn each page. To quote a old TV show, thank you for being a friend, traveling down the road and back again. Y'all do that and more! So may the new year bring you joy and blessings, peace and comfort. I hope to emulate the example of all of you,, what you have taught me, and show that love and kindness to many.

We are planning to stay up til midnight, watching a old Christmas classic movie, It's a Wonderful Life. We'll see if we stay awake. :) Sarah is having a gathering at her house, but We are staying here.

Happy New Year!

Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:13 pm

Today was a marvelous day.

Usually, I go to church in the evening but since it's NYE they aren't holding church tonight. Instead, 3 ladies and I went to church this morning in town then to breakfast afterwards.

After breakfast I stopped and bought my dad a book for his 83rd birthday. Came home to find Jerry taking a nap. And read in the swap section that I won the coin toss in the Dec. Lotto.

Tomorrow will be spent taking down the tree and picking a room to start cleaning. My goal is to do a room a month, and to tackle the garage. I'm hoping 2024 will be the year of the purge. I say hope because part of this morning's sermon started with NY resolutions and how 70% of the people make resolutions of those 40% quit the first week, and in the end something like 9 percent of the people who make resolutions keep them. Maybe a star chart would help me. I will give myself a sticker star for each thing I do then reward myself just like I used to do for Marilyn. yeah right.

Do you have resolutions? My top three are to study my bible more and memorize verses. Lose those 15 pounds that snuck up on me through diet and exercise. Thirdly get my house and garage in shape. All are doable if I make the effort.

Maryz, my bobbin is full and I am ready to sew tomorrow afternoon. What a wonderful picture you made for Miss Amara, I love her reaction. Hope pizza was good and the hugs were many. I did go to Costco. Bought a $20 zip up fleece jacket without a hood. Not sure why I'm into jackets lately but I now have more than enough and it probably won't even get cold. And I bought coffee, 4 cans, and a few other things..

Lois, sounds like enough food to feed an army. I may show up, it sounds like a feast. What a perfect idea.

Judi, so glad your pizza got the Nolan seal of approval. what kinds did you make? I will be un-Christmassing the house tomorrow. We only have to take down the tree.

Diane, enjoy your NYE, happy NY to you too.

Maryq, what fun. Hope Katie ND brings home some fun fabric for you. Now if you wouldn't mind sending those kids over here to move things around in my garage I'd appreciate it. It is so in need of a decluttering.

Tina, I could also use a Holly here. Perhaps Maryq's kids could pick her up on the way and she could help with my chores?

Sharon, woo hoo for the blessing of heat. nice to have warm tootsies.

Lyn, sorry about the Kona blue, guess you'll just have to go do some shopping. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. hang in there, you'll make it.

Jana, back atcha my dear friend. So glad Michael is ok, tell him I said there will be no more of that.

I surely won't be staying up tonight, that ball will have to drop without me. You girls have a great night and a blessed new year.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to β€œSew ins”