Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SATURDAY, Dec 30th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SATURDAY, Dec 30th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:26 am

Good morning,

Today is our last babysitting day - a bonus day of our bonus week. We'll go back tomorrow for pizza lunch and to celebrate Autumn's Jan 10 birthday early. We only have two more sleeps here.

SHARONA - brrrrr!!!! My phone says your lows are only about 24* with a high of 48*! My DSNIL (step niece in law) lives near you and got 6" of snow. How much did you get? Asking for a friend (my DBIL who is in FL right now. It's his DD). Your warranty doesn't by any chance pay for hotels, does it??? I'm assuming you have no fireplace or woodstove. Maybe a few space heaters? I sure hope you get heat by today! I can't remember what kind of machine you have - thinking a Bernie - but I know my Bernies aren't supposed to be cold like that. And if they are, they need to be brought back to room temp before trying to sew with them again. I know we all love our machines but you may have to actually sleep with yours to keep it warm!

CHRISS - Oh, please don't climb on ladders and lift totes! They can sit on the floor until someone comes along who can do that for you. Or you can revise where you store them. My younger sis only has a few so she stacks them behind her curved couch, tosses a quilt over them, and voila`! A console table where she puts a lamp! And don't you have a wall in your sewing room that is mostly cubbies where you can sort and store your fabric? Or have you changed your room and gotten rid of the cubbies? Or gotten more fabric???

JANA - oh, wouldn't it have been fun to go through those totes of ornaments??

LYN - I'm so happy your computer is now happy again. And, apparently, so is your geek! Win/win/win! And yes, as of Sunday night, after we say good bye to our kids, we'll finally be off Covid protocol. Though, we could go into a few places wearing masks - and Bill has a couple of times - I've had no reason so haven't. So when we leave Austin Monday morning, we're going to Houston our first night and will see Cindy and Sue Monday night.

MARY Q - That is a LOT of storage space above your garage!! We just have a small loft, but we do have a fixed stairway. It's where the little rocking horse lived for almost 40 yrs. I LOVE the fabrics in your quilts! So pretty! You are really getting a lot of stuff done. Rounding up those UFO's and dealing with them is kind of like cleaning out the fridge of leftovers after Christmas! What kind of batting did you get and how much is on a bolt? We buy and pick up our batting at the W&N factory by the bolt - 40 yds of 90" wide - on a roll. It lasts me about 15 months.

FLO - I'm not much of a FB person, but I will try to find your quilt. Any chance you could post a photo of it here on the forum?

JUDI - what was the pattern that you decided to nix? I probably know but forgot. I've never decorated our bedroom, though we do have a ceramic tree from the 70's, with a lightbulb inside and multi-colored little removable plastic "bulbs" and it sits on top of Bill's dresser. It's on all the time, all year long - our nightlight.

LOIS - Looks like there will be a few of us doing the Cats in PJ's quilts. I love when that happens. It's fun to compare the similarities and differences in fabric choices! I can't wait to start mine. I will have to hit the ground sewing when we get home. I have to have Foxes, Butterflies, Cats, Unicorns, and Hedgehogs (all Hartman patterns except for foxes) done by or before end of May. They are all needed before then, plus we will be spending our summer driving to Alaska (and back).

Yesterday was a little different with our Kumquat. She'd had a bad night and kept her parents up most of the night. So SHE slept in, but her mom and dad went to work exhausted. They came home at 1:30 to nap, anticipating another bad night ahead. So we took Baby for a long stroll, then a long play session with her in the giant playpen, then her supper. We did it! We kept her quiet for 2 hours! We're curious to see what kind of night she had. We also took headshot photos of us with her, sent them to CVS to be developed (8x10's), and picked them up on our way home. One for her and one for us. We're going to get a frame and give it to her tomorrow so she can hopefully not forget us.

We have our campsite all picked up except for our outdoor stove and 3 chairs (Foxy has to have a chair, too, or he steals ours!). So, we're nearly ready to roll out. Once the goodbyes are said and we're on our way, I'll be fine (I think), but for now, I'm getting a bit, what Other Mary calls, schmoopy. But we are leaving just in time. Allergy season, aka cedar fever season here, is just starting and I'm feeling it. And I have no allergies! Except to Texas. :lol:

Treasure your day!

mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Re: SATURDAY, Dec 30th

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:52 am

Morning Maryz and all to follow,
I have had zero luck posting here, but will reach out to Chriss to help.
Yesterday we braved Bass Pro looking for boots for Joe, what he liked they didn't have his size. Then Academy sports, they had his size! Then Sam's Club...that was fastest run ever for us! I went left, Joe went right and we got what we needed. When we left it was just getting busy. DDIL and grands came over for supper.
Today not sure what's going on...except a nap!
Flo

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:55 am

Good morning,

Well I have just the background to cut out but I read directions real good before I cut I want to finish cutting then I will start it after the gym on Tuesday.

Mary I hope your day is wonderful I don't know who is going to miss who but I know it will be equal feelings.

Sharona I hope your ok that is to dang cold for me but at least you have a fireplace to keep you warm.

Well I hope everyone has a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:14 am

Good morning!

Slightly warmer, if you can call 32 warm! The winter, as far as looks go, reminds me a lot of what Concord looked liked for a winter landscape. Brown and no snow. We need snow!

Today is Sarah's wedding anniversary. They celebrated in October, as any trip now to stay somewhere, gets terribly expensive. All the innkeepers raise the prices because of New Year's. Plus, Ethan's BD is the first. Ethan came over last night to haul in my scavenger hunt. Not the restocking hunt, yet. Maybe next week for that start.

Not much else here. Did get my closet in good order yesterday. Michael was such a pill! I have a good size, large, walk in closet and he came to see and then made the comment, oh,, I see it's now a walk in again! Pill! I had Christmas gifts ditched in there previously. So I'll now work on the Batt Cave and have some bowl games on down there too. Most of my upstairs is clean.

Daniel has been making me some shelves for display on the staircase wall. This wall is tall, about 25 feet from floor to ceiling. It was blank, so we are adding some different length shelves, planned but randomly placed to hold "stuff". I have lots of fun , old time stuff for them. Well, Daniel didn't approve of the shelves I bought earlier, he said they were lousy and cheap. So being Daniel, he designed me and manufactured the pieces parts for some very nice floating shelves. Floating, as you will see none of the mechanical fasteners holding them on the wall. He bought thick aluminum and proceeded to bend it and then cut a channel in the wood for the aluminum. By the time he's done, you could stand on these shelves! I think there will be six or eight shelves.

Enjoy the day! Time to think of all the resolutions you want to make and break before the first day is done! 😀

Hugs,
Jana

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:13 am

Checking in to say hello. I am working both my night and day shift job full time for this week and next. Covering for vacations. I am getting to the end of things I need to do (at least I think I am, finding out the military has lots of forms!) to close Dad's estate. Hope to meet with his attorney the week of the 7th. Looking forward to the new year and new beginnings.

Stay warm everyone. I do plan to post 2024 lotto plans and January block today. Hope to be back with you full time soon!

Love to you all
Valerie
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

womster

Post by womster » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:45 am

Happy Saturday!

Maryz - we are blessed with two furnaces in our sprawling ranch - one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Thankfully, the downstairs keeps the pipes from freezing so yay. We could stay in the basement but DH doesn’t want to. We got about 12”of snow with very little drifting. My sewing hole has its own furnace so they are all safe and sound. Geeze Louise that’s a lot of furnaces!!

Well drat time to run. Xoxo sharona

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:31 am

Good morning Girls

Well, that was nice, to see the sun for a whole day. It's gone again now and I think we are headed back to normal December/January weather----cold!! Still don't see any snow in the forecast. Alexa says there's a 50-50 chance of it in the next 7 days. Hard to remember winter when we went this long with out snow on the ground at this time of year.

Maryz.. Oh I so love W & N and would love to use it in all my quilts... but I find that Pellon 80/20 isn't bad and for the price for charity quilts it works just fine. Viv approves of it for her long arm as well so that's what I get to send down for her to do my quilts. The other day I bought 3 90"x 9 yard bolts from Walmart at $40.92 a bolt! $4.54/yd compared to Joann's W & N at $7/ tho that's a sale price. I just haven't figured out how to get a whole roll into the budget! :lol: :lol: I do have a piece of W & W that KC gave me, I'm saving for a special project! I know the goodbyes will be tough, keep a kleenex in your pocket! Great Idea to have a nice picture taken of the 3 of you. You must tell Aut to show that to Amara every day and point to Gramma and Pop every day... soon enough she'll be able to SAY "I want to go to Gramma's house!"

Flo... Now that's way to shop at Sam's.... each go one direction! Did you have a good list for Joe? I took DEX grocery shopping with me once.... it was double the work to have his help. He had no clue what to look for. IT WORKED. I saved your Photo from Facebook and can post it for you! I'll set it up in PHOTOS.

Lois.... You read the directions for you Cats quilt? Are you supposed to read the directions before you start? Oh gosh, here all this time I've just plowed through! :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe that's why I've gone through so many seam rippers. With a detailed quilt like that, I would probably read them a few times!

Jana... No snow for you either? Can you see ski slopes from your house? There's a ski slope near where I grew up (just big hills, not like your mountains) but I think it's even been to warm for them to make snow. Bad year for skiers and snow plowers! Happy Anniversary to Sarah!

Valerie... We'll keep our eyes open for lotto, but be assured that we are more concerned about you! You take your sweet time and if you feel you want to skip January.... I'm sure we'd be all fine with that. You have a lot going these days. We could double up January/February too. Holler if you need some help!

Sharon... Oh my goodness... I bet it's near impossible to sew with gloves on! Hope you can get your furnace fixed right away today! Do you have propane or natural gas? Here, I have natural gas through Centerpoint Energy and pay every month for a maintenance plan. If my 23 year old furnace conks out, they will come and fix for free. And water heater too!

Chriss.... Definitely do NOT going climbing and lifting!! Perhaps your neighbor with the little boys can come over and help you? How is Jerry feeling a couple days now since his last chemo? Is he encouraged by the news from the Dr. that he is doing quite well?

Yesterday I got all my Christmas stuff un-done. Tree is down, decor boxed up. I'm just waiting to hear from Shawn that he is going to bring me a portable propane heater to set up in my garage for a little while. Once it's gets warmed up in there a bit, I'll better be able to sort and organize and perhaps DE-stash some of the Christmas stuff I have. All the excess will go in a separate box for donation later. Do you ever look at stuff and think... "I could give this away, but what if I want it again next year or the year after that?" Like the 5 extra sets of tree lights? I might need those some day!! After I cleaned and vacuumed I finished putting the horse quilt together, so I'll go over and post a revised photo here in a minute. Next time I will for sure calculate better how many FG I really need! But the extra's came in handy as Maryz suggested I use them for borders---and I still have some left over!

While I wait for Shawn I'll perhaps go put the borders on another UFO, then seek out some fabric to use for the back of that one. Do any of you guys really hate to use your GOOD fabric on the back?

So, I'm off for more coffee and Wishing you all A Super Saturday.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:45 am

Good morning. The ground outside my window is wet, that can only mean one thing. It's raining. woo hoo, I thought it would never rain.

This morning I will head into town for a few groceries and then play in my room. Jerry doesn't want the tree to come down until after the first of the year, so that will need to wait.

Sharon, phew, glad you are still under warranty. huge blessing.

Maryz, I'm sorry Miss Kumquat didn't sleep well. Hope last night was much better for her. She will surely love the photo you are giving her. Will you be able to stop and see her on your way home? Oh, and hey, you've been slacking on the bobbin reminders, ask me how I know.

Flo, wish you would have picked me up. There is a Bass Pro shop about 1 1/2 hours from me and I've never been and really want to go. Imagine the fun we could have had while Joe plays in the shoe department. I will gladly help you with whatever you are trying to post. Send it to me in an email and it will get done.

Lois, that jammie quilt is going to be cute. Imagine the scraps that will be used up making pajama's. what fun.

Jana, your shelves sound neat. when you said you could stand on them I imagined a climbing wall for the grandkids. What a great way to display your items.

Valerie, looking forward to you being back here full time. I read a quote this morning. Life is about juggling both glass and rubber balls at the same time. Don't be afraid to drop the rubber balls. Glad things will be slowing down for you soon.

Maryq, you made me laugh. Yes, I don't want to use my good fabric for backing and I don't want to piece all those little pieces either. It's a conundrum for sure. Gosh, you have still got FG left? make a table runner, or do you have lots more? Jerry has been sleeping the last couple of days, he's not feeling well right now. I'm so done with cancer. Thankfully he is ok enough that I can get things done and go into town when I need to without worrying about leaving him home.

Well, Costco opens in 15 minutes and it's 30 miles away, I need to head that way but am in my robe. Gosh, so many issues face me that I need to resolve.

You all have a fun day,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:28 am

Sharona, sure hope you get the heater fixed soon.

Mary, a big picture is perfect. I'm sure you'll be Zooming with them also in the future.

Chriss, it's wet outside here as well. Yippie. I love when it rains. It makes my plants happy.

Maryq, I saw the quilt you posted. It's very pretty. Love the colors. I'm the same way with stuff. I keep it and then 6 months down the road I think, why did I keep that. Then I give it away. I getting much bette at giving or throwing away fabric and scraps. I take fabric to my guild every month and put it on the free table. That way someone else can love it.

Val, you are working like a crazy woman. Hope you slow down soon. Take care of yourself.

Jana, It's always nice to straighten out the closet. I don't know how they get in such disarray.

Lois, hope all the cutting gets done and you can move on to sewing.

Flo, love you doily quilt.

I don't post everyday, but I'm here every morning with my coffee. I've been doing this since January 06, 2007. I love reading about what everyone is doing and making. You make me smile. Thanks for another great year of friendship.

I'm going to work on my OWL. I've completely slacked off on doing a block a month. I want to get this one finsihed.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”