Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

FRIDAY, Dec 29th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

FRIDAY, Dec 29th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:32 am

Good morning,

I'm awake uber early this morning. Just one of those nights.

CHRISS - glad to hear good news coming from you! And here's hoping the good news will perk up Jerry's spirits, too. As for dog quilts, Have you Googled Dog Quilts? Tons of them! And some are beagles or beagle-esque. Easy ones, harder ones, pieced ones, appliqued, paper-pieced. Eight years ago I made one for my DIL's birthday called "There's a Dog on My Quilt" designed by Billie Lauder. It was easy and looked like a Beagle. I probably even still have the pattern at home if you'd like it.

MARY Q - is today tree-taking-down-day? Too bad you don't have a small stairway to a storage loft in your garage. Wouldn't that make life easier! I've had good luck with Clover seam rippers - the kind with the chunky white handle? They eventually do get dull but it takes about a year which is just right for Santa to put a new one in my stocking. Once he messed up and bought a pack of generic cheapies and they were dull from the get go!

LYN - glad you've worked out a pattern you like better using the fabric you love. Sorry for all the frogging, but sometimes you just gotta do it. Has anyone here ever used electric seam rippers? Sometimes, when things go wrong, or I have a mind change, I wonder how they work.

FLO - It sounds like it might be easier to just crochet new snowflakes! How many are you "defrocking"? I'm getting eager to see your doily quilt!

SHARONA - I sure hope your furnace woes are an easy fix. Brrrr!!! We found new totes at Costco just before this trip. They have nearly straight sides and the lid snaps on with two blue closures on each side - not on the ends. The neat thing is they nest securely on top of each other. We got them to use in our trailer storage bays, where they fit purrfectly, two high. Sorry your family had to go home, but maybe, with such a great visit now in their rear view mirror, they'll be inclined to visit more often.

JANA - Sandee's car sounds gorgeous! I might have to Google it just so I can see. Did you get your pantries all squared away and your restocking lists all made?

LOIS - Did you get a start on herding those cats yesterday?? Did you buy a kit or are you working from your stash?

JUDI - glad to hear your cold is on the wane. It was a bad one! I haven't had a cold in years, though I don't hang out with the younger set much either. New storage totes are always exciting! You only bought 3??

Today was going to be our last official babysitting day but the kids asked if we were available for any time Saturday, too. Of course! Yesterday Bill mowed their grass for them, and today he's going to replace the thermostat on their hot water heater. He likes to keep busy and Antonio is thrilled! We have groceries to pick up at 8:30 tomorrow morning and bring back and put away, but after that, we've got all day long to spend with Ms. Amara for extra hugs and snuggles.

Y'all have a wunnerful wunnerful day!
mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: FRIDAY, Dec 29th

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:49 am

Good morning,

Today is our cleaning day getting ready for our new years gathering and of course there are 2 loads of wash that need my attention so that will be done in between cleaning.
In a few I will cut on some more of cats in pjs quilt I dont like to make noise to early .

Mary so hard to believe that you time is almost over in Texas i know that you and Bill will miss your family .
Mary I'm working from stash and I bought some solids .

Chris I'm so glad for you and Jerry I hope the news continues to be good.

Well I'm going to get another cup of coffee and get ready to cut some more cats out there are only 6 but there are alot of pieces to cut :lol: .

Have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:04 am

Good morning it is just starting to get light but looks like another dreary day. I have undecorated my bedroom this morning since i had to change the sheets anyway I changed out the Chrstmas linens for winter colors...I took down the wall quilts up here and the lights and garland. Now the totes need to be brought up to repack///One room at a time...I will have the upstairs done today...that is my plan. Then I have to run to the grocery store for supplies to try out the new pizza oven tomorrow. Liam (of course) will be here to help/ He also has a motor scooter in pieces in the shop so He and Ken will put it back together and see if it will run, Ken suggested that I make extra pizza dough in case we have a screw up...I will do that,,this is all new to all of us.
Last night I pulled apart a jelly roll for a Christmas quilt and after reading the directions...I decided to change quilts...I just didnt like the construction...so I found another I will read up on. I am waiting for a pattern to come in the mail and I do know I will make that one...I noticed a lot of quilts are being made of solids these days. I have tons of prints to use so that is what I will do...I have 4 Christmas quilts and one UFO for 2024...
Well I need coffee..and get busy here,,,
Chriss and Jerry so happy your news was encouraging,,,a gift of time is the best gift of all....
Maryz Have fun with the baby,,,she is adorable,, Would you extend a nother week???
Flo I saw your quilt on facebook it is striking,,,you will have an heirloom when finished
Lois hope your party turns out to be a blast...
Everyone have a wonderful day,,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:08 am

Morning Maryz, I defrosted them by soaking in oxyclean for 24 hrs. I stiffened and glittered them by using g Elmer's glue, so it washed off!
Chriss they were stiff, but now they are not. I used Elmer's glue years ago because that's what I had....now I'm so glad I did!
I posted a pic of it on our Facebook page, and your comments have made my heart soar. I am making this quilt up as I go, so I have been unsure of it.
Flo

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:05 am

Good morning !

OH MY GOSH!!!! THE SUN IS SHINING HERE THIS MORNING! We haven't seen the sun in almost 2 weeks. I think we've come out of the Twighlight Zone! It's cold but going to get up to 40* I think the geese are confused as a big flock looked like they were flying NORTH!

Maryz.... Thanks for the info on Clover rippers. I suppose they are like rotary blades.. they only last as long as much as you use them.... less ripping--they last longer! I'll check out a Clover one next time I'm out and about. My "rafters" is really more like an attic over the garage.. the ceiling/walls are sheet rocked and there is a pull down ladder/steps for climbing up into it. So Brennen climbs up and Shawn hands him stuff to put away. Once I get all the Christmas decor boxed up, they will come over to put everything back up. The space is a big as the double garage so there is lots of room for their stuff too! Good to know you are going to be able to stock up on hugs and kisses once more before you leave!

Lois....Aren't you glad we have automatic washers and dryers these days!? You can throw a load in the washer and go on to do something else much more fun! Like Sew!

Judi... Having seen the pictures of your beautiful Christmas Decor.. I can only imagine how long it takes you to take it all down! Every year I am determined to make sure I get ALL of it packed up--seems like I find some odd thing at the end of January that should have been put away!

Flo... Your doily quilt is beautiful--how fun to be able to use all those beautiful things of the past in a very special quilt!

Chriss... You know what I've decided... about making the kids quilts... someday they are going to miss me! But I hope they will tell their children and grandchildren about the beautiful quilts their Mom made! I'll be happy that they will share a memory of me. In the meantime, I'll make them, use up fabric on hand as much as possible and share them with people who need them more than my children.

Walmart just delivered 3 bolts of batting to my door... I wonder if that's a hint that I should get busy!

Here's the quilt I mentioned yesterday... with all the HST's . This is the one that wore out my seam ripper! I had it all done, laid out in the floor and notice 1 little block was turned wrong... dang! All fixed now. Image There will be a small border around and when I can find backing fabric it will go to Wisconsin for Viv to quilt for me.

For now I need a shower, then to do a little shine up around here. After that I'll go finish the border on the horses quilt. I might just have the perfect backing for that on hand!

Wishing you all a Fab. Friday!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:25 am

It's a fantastic day!

Some people are worth their weight in gold, and that's how I feel about the guy that fixed my laptop yesterday. Robin said he was retiring and closing his geek business about 2 years ago. I talked to a friend and found out that he's still working on computers. I left a message and he called me yesterday. I explained what happened. Before he could remotely get on my laptop, he had a list of things I had to find and remove or kill. After we got rid of the nasty stuff the scammers put on, he did a check of my laptop and helped me with a couple of changes. When all was done and I hung up, I started crying because I was so relieved and happy. Of course DH didn't understand how much stress I have felt for a week and a half. Robin said to call if anything else came up. Retirement is a little boring, he said.

MaryZ, sorry your time is almost over with Kumquat. Will y'all route past Cindy and Sue for a quick hello?

MaryQ, That's a beautiful quilt!!

Chriss, Thanks for the info. I'm praying the chemo is doing it's job.

Today there will be orders made for supplements and an order on Amazon, then sewing.
Lyn
Last edited by WeeOne on Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:40 am

Good morning!

Looks to be a bright day here, albeit the normal winter inversion we get. That when the cold air slides down the mountain and traps all the rotten dirty air. We need a good snow storm to clean it all up.

No, I didn't get my pantry list done, got squireled with other things. A must today! My squirrels have been plotting and laying in wait for me in the Batt Cave!

I almost got two new big totes of ornaments from Aaron. He was on duty and a pickup truck had three totes full of beautiful glass ornaments fall out. One broke open and spread glass on the road, the other two survived better. Another worker from the water company stopped and gathered them up before Aaron. The pickup driver couldn't be bothered to get them, so the other worker said, he'd keep them. Like I need more Christmas! LOL!

Well, off to the shower, then get presentable for the world,

Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:21 am

Good morning. What was supposed to be a rainy day has turned into a cloudy chilly morning. As much as I want to see a lot of rain, I am enjoying the beauty of the day

Watched a pretty good movie last night, A Million Miles Away. About a immigrant farm worker who ended up being an astronaut and going into space. It would be great for kids to show them you can be whatever you set your mind to be. Jerry has been finding these feel good movies, so much better than the junk out there.

Maryz, enjoy those last few days with that sweet little cutie pie. Nice of Bill to help with the honey do list. I had some totes with those snap closures on the ends. My snap closures just broke on one of them. I want to change out the tote situation in my sewing room. I need shorter stackable totes so I can sort my fabric differently.

Lois, your cats are going to be so cute. Got my laundry done yesterday so I will be out of your way.

Judi, there was a story on the news this morning about when is the proper time to undecorate. It was decided that it was up to the individual. Funny the things the news spends time on. That pizza is going to be fun. So glad Liam is volunteering to be helpful. Will work for food. He's a pretty good kid.

Flo, aawww, I learned something. Didn't know it was glue that kept them stiff. I've always wondered. Your quilt is so much cooler than I imagined it would be.

Maryq, Your quilt is gorgeous. great colors. Love it. My goal is also to use up the fabric I have. My problem is that I need to sort it better so I know what goes with what. Hope you saved me some hot water, I also need a shower. Enjoy that sunshine girlfriend.

Lyn, sounds like Robin is a gem. It really is amazing when God sends just the right answers to allow us to exhale. I've been in a postition where the stress has been relieved enough that I cried. I completly get it.

Jana, looks like a bright day here as well. And I just took Moose out, it's not chilly at all. I do wish we'd get some rain.

Jerry doesn't want me to take Christmas down until the first. Scarry part is it requires me to climb on a ladder and lift totes over my head. I will probably just leave them on the garage floor.

Time to start my day, I will be in my room if you want to come play.

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

womster

Post by womster » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:36 pm

Good evening, all.

Day 2 of no heat. The guy has to go to Denver to get some wheelie thing that costs around $400. Luckily, we are still under warranty (a ten year warranty - we have three months left!). He will be here tomorrow to replace it.

Chriss - my heart and soul soared over your good news!! What a mighty answer to prayer.

Maryz - so glad you get another day with Ms Boots.

Need to put my gloves back on. xoxo!

Return to “Sew ins”