Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday Dec 16th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Saturday Dec 16th

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:31 am

Good morning still dark and 35, Not sure what the weather will be but I am on a baking marathon so I will be in a warm kitchen...I have dough prepared and chilling, so that is what I will do today,,,we have chocolate Crinkles..chocolate chip, snickerdoodles, and peanut butter cookies. Oatmeal raisin are all done...Ken will take a tray to the boys at the rink on monday... I did bake cranberry bread yesterday so Maryq's moms legacy lives on...it turns out so good...I had oranges so I squeezed the juice and added the grated rind for some extra flavor and it is so good...I used dried cranberries cause thats also what i had in the pantry..
Tomorrow all the kids that can make it are coming over for Ken's Birthday,,,I am ordering pizza and salad locally and that makes it a no clean up dinner,,I will bake cupcakes and frost them too...so if you need me I will be in the kitchen,,,(with my North pole Alaska apron on) Christmas in almost here,,,,its a most wonderful time of the year XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

suzette58

Re: Saturday Dec 16th

Post by suzette58 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:48 am

Good morning everyone.
I finished cutting the fabric for my next quilt. I am hoping to start sewing today. We had some excitement here in town yesterday afternoon. Some guy was driving like a mad man down one of our streets. Very reckless. 60 miles an hour. He ran a light and caused an accident with 5 vehicles and someone passed away. The whole thing is sad but the worst is that people were posting pictures probably before any family members were notified. Social media is a wonderful thing but it is also dangerous. Well, I am off to get another cup of coffee. Have a wonderful day.
Suzette

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:54 am

Good morning,

It was chilly last night and I sleep with a blanket hog. Yesterday I was wishing I'd brought my light-weight robe and now this morning I'm glad of my warm plush robe! I think I will declare today to be sheet-washing day and then remake the bed so the lion's share of bedding is on MY side!

JUDI - I'd completely forgotten that your kids were in MaryQ-land for a while. How old were the little ones then? I do recall you made many trips to see them. You have a very busy day, festive planned in your kitchen! Glad you will be appropriately attired! (just be glad you aren't actually IN North Pole - talking with Gene this morning. It's -2* and he has 80 feet of water pipe to thaw today. He is a tough dude for an old geezer! I love the idea of a pizza party for Ken's birthday! Happy day to him!

MARY Q - do you make regular-size loaves of cranberry bread for gift-giving or the mini loaves? A woman parked next to us last year in this park last year made some and gave us a loaf. It was delish! And I made a blankie for her kitty who slept on the dash in the windshield. When you are rooting around in your garage fabric stash are you keeping your eye peeled for fabrics for that wedding quilt for next summer's wedding? Are you still thinking purples?

LOIS - your quilt is all done?? And on your bed?? It's a beauty! Cookie-baking can always be another day! Just don't eat cookies in bed on that beautiful quilt!

FLO - what kinds of trees are you falling? How big around are they at the butt? Sounds like Joe is quite capable of falling trees.

SHARONA - you talk any more about your delicious brunch menu and you might have at least two more people at your table!!

SUZETTE - that is so sad about the accident in your town - and kind of grim behavior on the part of the social media posters.

CHRISS - glad you are getting your medical stuff all in order. But please, ask Joe to come fall your driveway trees. I KNOW you aren't a logger!

VAL - your Dad was a handsome dude! Everyone isn't staying at your house, I hope. Hotels and motels? I'm sorry your sister has to go home, but really, it's more important to be there when a person is still alive than for a funeral so I hope that thought helps to comfort her as she has to board that plane.

Babysitting yesterday was great. Her morning nap lasted almost 2 hours. Usually it's 40 minutes. I kept checking on her, making sure she was OK. But at least during that nap I was able to cut out one sheep block. :D Bill hung some shelves in her room (after the nap) and she was very interested in watching that process. Parents have been staying later at work so we've become acquainted with a time of day they have dubbed "Fuss-o'clock". Apparently 4pm is not happy hour for her! It finally dawned on Antonio that we only have one more week here and he said he was going into panic mode. Poor Antonio. He didn't realize how much he was going to love having babysitters at his beck and call. But we told him if he wants us to stay longer, we could put off FL for one more week. He and Aut are talking about it and will probably let us know tomorrow. Such a hardship - one more week with our baby girl. So all y'all might have to listen to proud gramma talk for 7 more days. Sorry about that. (but not too sorry!) :D

WE are off today so will do some housekeeping, maybe a load or two of laundry or sheets, and for sure, some sewing. I have 12 more FF blocks to sew, and most are already cut out.

Hope you all have full bobbins this morning and empty ones by end of business today!

mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:18 am

Morning
Yesterday we dropped two trees near the big monster tree. They came down easily. They were about 12 inches diameter at base for one and 18 for second. We also got 1 branch from monster...limb was 10 inches, about 5 feet long ang twisted...plus it hung over roof of house! That one we had a rope attached to it that DDIL and I used to pull branch so when cut it fell away from house...
Today is recovery day and laundry.
Flo

womster

Post by womster » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:38 am

Good morning!

Judi – how many people will be over tomorrow? It’s grand that your DH gets such a special day to celebrate him. Those of us with our birthdays close to the holidays sometimes get left out. Pizza and salad sounds wonderful, especially when topped off with cupcakes. I can just picture you in your apron. Happy baking!

Suzette – that is simply horrible about the pictures being posted. I guess people don’t think of the ramifications. I hope you get to sew today.

Maryz – hahaha! I do the same thing with our sheets/blankets. It only lasts for a day or two, and then they are all back on his side. Poor Antonio indeed. Maybe this will get them to move up to your neck of the woods. I make those mini cranberry loaves also. So great for gift-giving. Fuss-o’clock – clever name.

Flo – so glad the trees came down safely. Enjoy your recovery day.

Valerie – thanks so much for the link. I will be watching. I’m like you when it comes to broken things around the house. It really starts taking a toll on me mentally.

Oh my gosh the handyman showed up and fixed both the butler’s door and replaced the lazy Susan! Such a huge blessing. I had to run into the church office to get the Sunday bulletin. My friend has the Covid and is SO sick. Of course, something that should have taken 30 minutes took over two hours. Today I will continue getting my kitchen back in order. We’re headed into the city for breakfast and a scavenger hunt at King Soopers (Kroger in some parts of the world). Christmas is almost here! Have a glorious day.

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:59 am

Good morning Girls

Happy Saturday y'all.. .Hope the plans you have for today and much more fun than mine!!
(details to follow)

Judi.. SO glad to hear you are making Mom's cranberry bread.. I'm headed into town later to pick up some more craisins. Great idea to use juice and some rind for zest... I might have to grab an orange while I'm there. Gotta love a No Clean Up Dinner!! Happy Birthday to Ken!!

Suzette.... So true about social media. As American's I think we value our right to put anything out there that we want, but we don't often stop and think "SHOULD WE put this out there" My Grandson Nolan tells me that there are fights at school all the time.. and the biggest "fun" for the kids seems to be filming it all with their phones. And here I am wondering why all these 6-8th graders have phones in school in the first place.

Maryz... I can't imagine that Antonio will have to hard of time twisting your arm to stay another week!! :lol: :lol: I mean seriously, who could say no to that darling little face!--Amara's, not Antonio's. I've been making regular size breads, mostly because I don't have any small pans, though I might see if I can find some at the grocery store this morning. For my niece, I found a layer cake of purple/teal in my stash I have made all the Rocky Mountain blocks out of it.. I may try that for Niece unless I can find what I'm really looking for --another jelly roll to match the one I have--but it's all a discontinued line, so I'm not holding out much hope.

Flo...After a day of chopping trees.... you most certainly deserve a relax day..

Sharon... Can you send your handy man up here.. I need some shelves built! Isn't it just the best when things work the way they should! Did you figure out your lodging for all you guests?

Chriss... Happy to hear that you have put your oxygen mask on! You know what I mean? Taking good care of yourself first--even tho it might sound selfish to some, is really the ONLY way you can take of anybody else.

Yesterday I decided that it was time to do floors.... great plan right? The routine is, I wash the floors and while they dry I dust and then vacuum. At some point in the afternoon, I'm walking between the kitchen and the laundry room and notice that the floor is wet... hhhmmmm I'm thinking.. maybe the garbage bag I set down leaked...ok no biggie... A little while later I go into the closet where my furnace and water heater etc are--and storage stuff.. and the floor in there is wet! hmmmm.. what the heck? Where is this water coming from? The only way water could get in there, would be if the hose that goes to the back of the refrigerator is leaking... naw... couldn't be. SO I pull out the fridge and sure enough.. the little doo-hickey that connects the hose to the fridge is spewing out water. SO I call Brennen, only because Shawn isn't home yet. (They just got home from Germany as Bren left his house to come to mine) He comes over, we figure out how to shut the water off. Poor Shawn is just off a 9hr flight and can barely keep his eyes open as he joins us. We get the hose disconnected from the fridge and put in a bucket to collect dripping water. SO needless to say, my plans to sew and/or bake today are down the tubes.

I headed to the shower now and then to the hardware store for a new do-hickey, and to the grocery store for more craisins.. Then home to clean up the mess. In that closet I have a nice wood shelving unit to store stuff... you know... stuff... like light bulbs and stuff you don't water filters and misc stuff there is no other place for.. All that stuff is now on my craft table in the kitchen. Needless to say I have my work cut out for me today!!

But ... on the positive side, My kids are home safe and sound and Shawn will be over later to help. I'm a lucky girl!!!

Wishing you all the best today.. and may all YOUR day work out as you planned! :)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:23 am

Good morning!

Late yesterday I posted a new Aaron story. It is another, never a dull moment with that boy! If you want, you can go back and read it. It involves helicopters. Something new every day!

I'm heading down to my Batt Cave to sew a new doll for my Lila. And a few doll clothes too. The doll is easy and I have bits of trim in a doll bag , so it should go quick.

Michael went down to my pantry in the Batt Cave yesterday, found what I sent him for and a bag of peanut butter cookie mix. Brought that up too, and asked, please, so I made him cookies. The bag of mix only makes a few, tastes good , just right for us.

We are still cold and no snow.

Stay warm,
Hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:35 am

Sunny cool morning on the coast.

I had to take Minnie into the Vet this morning, for a drop off appt. She has been throwing up the last couple of days. I think it might be caused by the chew bone I bought her. A few weeks back I bought her a chew called Wimzees, they are like Greenies but pet store said were better because there's no green coloring. It's for keeping teeth clean. I gave her one at the first of the week, but only let her chew on it for a while then take it away and give it to her the next day. When it gets little enough that she can hold the rest in her mouth, I take it and throw away so she doesn't choke. Vet's office just called and said X-ray shows a few of those pieces in her tummy and maybe food or cloth. CLOTH?? They will give her some meds and send some home. If she's not better in a day or two, they suggested taking her to another Vet who has an ultra sound machine that can better see what it is.

Chriss, Many years ago a pastor told me that if I just gave and did for other's that my cup would go empty. It's important to take time for 'YOU', to keep your cup full so you can do for other's. I think that includes taking care of your health. I think my chainsaw is a 16" and I cut some big stuff with it.

Jana, Interesting story. First, I'm a little disappointed in your city inspector for signing off on the construction. That being said, the guy may sew the city because they did sign off and give an occupancy permit. My helicopter story. We lived in Broomfield, Colorado, in the early 60's, on Main St. but it was the last street on the east side of town. Across the street was in the county. My oldest brother learned to fly helicopters, and after his military service, he worked for a company, in Ft. Collins, that did some helicopter crop spraying. If he had an early morning job to do near us, he would land across the street and spend the night at the house. The police tried to complain, but couldn't do a thing about it.

Valerie, Thanks for sharing the link. Your Dad was a very good man. Sending prayers for you and family.

Judi, Happy Birthday to Ken.

Suzette, Social media can be bad. When my Mom died very early in the morning, my sister and I waited until a decent hour to call our kids and tell them. A niece in Colorado posted on Facebook before could call our kids. She was in hot water for a long time with sis & I.

MaryZ, Do you really need to visit Florida this year??!!

Flo, Sounds like your in house tree service is doing a great job.

Sharona, Glad the handyman got you fixed up. Sounds like you found a good one.

MaryQ, I'm glad you found your leak. Hope it's fixed early so you can sew.

I have my Christmas shopping done. Will try and send a few cards by mail or text Jacquie Lawson cards. Laundry needs attention, but maybe I can fire up the sew machine later. I've been a little under the weather. I think I got some bad food eating out a few days back. Toilet paper and I are good friends.

I will go after Minnie in a few minutes. Hope you all have a great day. Prayers for your needs.
Lyn

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:12 am

Good morning. It's really going to be a beautiful day today. I love, as I have said before, how the sun glistens on the fields, it's just beautiful.

This morning when I am done here I will take some stuff up to the burn pile and light it on fire. After that I will sweep out the breezeway and if I am up to it the garage. While I would really like to start going thorugh the garage and get rid of some junk I'd also like to stay inside and sew. I think sewing will win the race.

Judi, I wish I could come there and just soak up some of your joy. It really is the most wonderful time of the year. Your whole post made me smile. I hope that lots show up for Ken's birthday and that it's his most memorable one ever.

Suzette, I completely agree about social media. And sadly, as technology improves it will get worse. Yay for getting that quilt cut out. You go girl.

Maryz, it would be difficult for me to let that little girl nap for two whole hours. I think I'd go pinch her so she'd wake up and play with me. I also think your Christmas gift to Antonio should be to stay longer so he has at least another month of you watching miss cutie pie. I'm hoping I can hear proud grandma talk and see pictures for much longer than a week. I guess, since it's sheet washing day, I had best unmake the bed and get on it.

Flo, the trees I want to cut down are dead. While they are tall they aren't that big around. Should be an easy job, I've never done it before but don't see why I can't. Perhaps Christmas sales will show a good price for the chain saw I want to buy.

Sharona, yay for things getting fixed. I love when things go well.

Maryq, what is the name of the jelly roll you are looking for? One of us might just have it. I am putting on my oxygen mask first. Something I should have done a long time ago. You are so blessed to have those boys so close that they can pop on over to help you. I'm curious, if you have shut off the water do you have water for a shower? Wouldn't want you to have soap in your hair only to not be able to rinse it out.

Jana, I love peanut butter cookies. Actually, I love most all cookies that don't have coconut or raisins in them.

Lyn, Hope you are feeling better, I was wondering where you were. I have had a case of food poisoning once. I was flying from Illinois to Cali. I was sick that whole flight and on the drive home. It was just awful. Sure hope Minnie passes the tummy junk and feels better soon. My cup will remain full, I will see to it. I recharge often, Jerry is well enough to be home alone, he pretty much sleeps anyway. I'm learning through my grief share meetings how to make sure I am ok. I'm looking at a 80 volt 18 inch chain saw. It's a Kobalt from Lowes and am selecting it because my other cordless things are 80 volt Kobalt. They are just under $400 and there is also a pole saw that can be purchased.

There has been a little excitement since I started typing this post. The neighbors had a cement truck pull up to their house, not sure what is happening there. And we got a propane delivery so there is likely a bill in our screen door.

Guess I had best go unsheet the bed so I can wash and resheet it. Jerry naps so often that it's difficult to get a chance to do the sheets. I'll be in my sewing room right after breakfast, hope to see you there.

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:22 pm

Hi everyone!!
Lyn, my male crocker spaniel; Duncan gets baby socks and tries to eat them or carries them around in his mouth at least. I've never had a dog put clothes in their mouth but he has a baby fetish. He got Elijah's at Thanksgiving, he walks around smiling I swear LOL and he doesn't want to give them up. When he was a puppy he eat my fabric in my swing room, I can't tell you how many quilt blocks he ruined so we put up a baby gate to keep him out. He's 11 years old now.
Judi, I want to come sit in your kitchen, it sounds so inviting.
Maryz, yes I think you need to stay longer and get more snuggles in.
Maryq, I'm glad you caught your water leak before it got worse and you have help so close by.
Sharon, I'm so glad you found a good handyman.
Chriss, yes you need to take care of you first to be able to take care of others. I bought Frankie a pole saw, it comes in really handy but be careful.
For some reason the site isn't letting me see the posts so all that was from memory. Hi to everyone else too.
I finished the last quilt top and posted pics, tomorrow I should have one ready to wash and I'm hoping to get the others ready 1 day for each and get them wrapped. I forgot the queen size would take me longer. I love how they all turned out totally different and unique for each grand.
You all have a wonderful night!
I would like to thank all who have sent me Christmas cards ❤️ I really appreciate each and every one of them ❤️ Thank you 😊 💓
Tina

Return to “Sew ins”