Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

FRIDAY, Dec 15th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

FRIDAY, Dec 15th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:19 am

Good morning,

Another run by for me this morning. It's another sweet "work" day for us today.

LORI - I hope your tea was fun! Was it a Christmas gathering?

CHRISS - I go twice a year for my dental cleanings. They take about 45 minutes, depending on how chatty the hygienist is. They cost about $180. If X-rays are taken, they are extra of course. Many people don't realize that the health of your teeth has a direct effect on the health of your heart.

JUDI - did you get all your cookies fiished? I love snickerdoodles. Bill loves oatmeal raisin, though we use Craisins in ours. And I like to add choc chips to my peanut butter cookies sometimes. I haven't made cookies for many moons. I find if I make them, we eat them.

MARY Q - You didn't know about dealy-bobbers? You have to get out more, girl! We're going back for more fun with Miss Boots today, and maybe on Sunday so her parents can go on a 'date'. It was mentioned but not confirmed. Next week is our last week here so I hope we get in a lot of time with her, soaking up as much of that baby smell as we can. (well, MOST of the baby smell. It's not ALL good! :lol: )

JANA - ah yes, All Bran. If you're use to eating it, you gotta have it. Truly!!

VAL - we're all thinking of you! I hope you get some good rest soon!

SHARONA - I'm still wondering about your Dec 23rd brunch. Who all is coming? But they aren't ALL overnight guests, are they?? And what's on the menu? I love those breakfast casseroles for a crowd, but you know you can cook them in a crockpot so you get up to a wonderful smell the next morning. Just don't cook them for quite as long as most recipes say.

FLO - fun to find a new craft!

LOIS - is it all bound yet?

Yesterday morning before we left for the kids' house I got my four pig blocks mostly cut out. I hope to finish them this morning. All that will be left to cut is the four sheep. Then it's just sewing from here on - four sunflower blocks, four pigs, and four sheep. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. But I happily trade it all for time with our little Little. We only have one more week here with her so we're spending as much time with her as we can.

Got to run! I have to pop into the shower, get some breakfast, and hopefully, we'll have time for our usual morning walk before we have to leave.

Y'all have a great day!

mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: FRIDAY, Dec 15th

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:56 am

Good morning,

Well yesterday went down the tube I came home from the gym and went and relaxed for a bit and was supposed to get ready to mix cookie dough but it turns out I had other plans I picked up my quilt and finished it so today when we come back from errands I will mix cookie dough not too many this year .

Mary have a great day with that precious little girl.

Well thats my story have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:10 am

Good morning, Some scavenger hunting this morning I have already made the bed,,,i started to get cookie dough made but didnt.. I ended up wiping down the cabinets in my kitchen and making home made pita bread for supper then homemade hummus and greek salad...and just ran out of time...cabinets were really needing a wipe down...then of course i moved to the top cabinets,,today the glass doors...and making the cookie dough,,,I will bake them as time permits...most of my recipes call for chilled dough so I will get what I can done... next week i will have time to perpare for the feast,,,get the gifts under the tree. and clean up the sewingroom...it is a disaster in here. I wont getting the MT quilt done but thats fine its for next year,,,as are the other 2 Christmas quilts.
Well i nneed to get moving,,,hope you are all having a great day....
Maryz have fun with the little...I wouldnt be able to leave.....when ours were little in Minnesota we had a terrible time leaving and extended our stay several times...now they are all tenagers and we hardly see them as they are all busy,..enjpy it while you can.
Lois I hear you about big plans that dont get done...we eat some of the cookies...but not too many...mostly with coffee as a sit and chat in the afternoon..Some times it is our happy hour...coffee and a couple of cookies...I give away most of them...mainly cause i love to make them...the boys at the rink get a big tray full if I get them done...
Everyone take time to rememebr the good Christmases of the past...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:18 am

Good morning!

Well, the proverbial they have predicted that there's no snow storms for awhile, so no white Christmas here. So that's a good thing for all the good boys and girls that are getting a new bike or roller skates. Riding them is rather difficult in the snow! My little Gracie wants skates. Not in in line ones, the old fashioned ones we grew up with. Now she can play with them on Christmas.

Got most of my uglies done yesterday, just a couple loads of laundry for today. If Sarah remembers to send me the good sugar cookie dough recipe, I do that too. This is a great recipe that is no chill, rolls beautifully and holds it shape when you cut it with cookie cutters. I want to do just a couple of my cutters, my stocking, the tree, and the candy canes. I'll decorate them tomorrow or so. I'll make Russian teacakes and chewy cookies too. Here chewy cookies are a necessity, if Santa doesn't get them, I get no presents! They're his favorite. A bar type cookie, similar to a thin brownie, but no chocolate, made with brown sugar. Kind of caramelly too. Old family recipe from his mom.

Not much else here. Just waiting for Amazon to deliver stuff. I may wrap today too.

Do fun stuff!
Hugs,
Jana

womster

Post by womster » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:33 am

Good morning!

Maryz - How lucky all y’all are to get to spend time with Miss Boots, and A&A get to have a date night. For the brunch on the 23rd, it will be us, our younger son and his two daughters (overnighters), plus Jim’s eldest daughter (Lena) and her family (six in all – their oldest son (Bryce)) will spend the night here on the 22nd, as he is driving in from Salina, KS. Lena told her dad that they were toying with the idea of all of them spending the night here. That’s what caused the kerfuffle. Then my brother-in-law and his wife from the Springs. And our oldest son and his son (the one going to CSU with the depression issues), and maybe my sister and her husband who live near Rocky Ford. I am making an egg Benedict casserole, a ham, a wonderful waldorf salad that uses cranberries and craisins (never made it before) and hash browns. Yum (hopefully).

Lois – I hope today is the day for cookie baking. I think your day yesterday was perfect – finishing up that quilt!

Judi – I love your idea of happy hour! How lovely. I know what you mean about having such a hard time leaving them. I would start crying about five minutes before we had to leave. It broke my heart every time. Now they’re all grown up – I know it’s a cliché – but where did the time go??? I probably should wipe down my cabinets, but not until next year.

Jana - I also have a no-chill sugar cookie recipe. Aren't they the best? Russian tea cakes are my favorite cookie. Waiting on Amazon - a tale as old as time.

Today our handyman us supposed to show up to fix the lazy Susan in the kitchen and the butler’s door. There are other things on the list but those are the two we really need done. I keep a lot of my baking supplies in the lazy Susan, so it’s really cramping my style to have them all strewn about. And with the door not closing, let’s just say the dog has had a field day getting out and visiting the cat’s room to eat the forbidden cat food. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:34 am

Morning
Today we will head to kids house. There is a BIG dead tree next to their house. Today we will drop lower branches and next Friday tree climber will drop it to the 20 foot mark. From there Joe will finish and drop it. If a storm takes it down it will either hit power lines or the house and the power company said base of tree is too far from lines so they can't help...agggggg.
Time to find my work boots.
Flo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:57 am

Good morning. Someone had asked for a link to the video for Dad's services. Here is a link to the funeral home site which has his obituary and the link is in the obituary.

https://www.claffeyandrota.com/obituari ... !/Obituary

I think all is in order now. My DBIL, DD, DS and my other sister will start arriving tomorrow. I think all is in place. My sister that is here now will have to leave tomorrow. Her husband is not really totally safe home alone and trying to change her flight plans has proven to be difficult. She has a business out of her home and really needs to get back to that.

Maryz it must be such a joy to be able to spend so much time with Kumquat. I love snickerdoodles! I have not made cookies in years either. Maybe my sister and I could make up some sugar cookies for the kids to decorate while here. Almost time for you to leave already? Wow, that time has flown by.

Lois always fun to pick up a quilt. I was supposed to drop one off at the quilter next month but haven't gotten it finished. Now I can't figure out where I put it. I will have some breathing room tomorrow so will spend some time with a decent search. It is here somewhere.

Judi can I give you my scavenger hunt list? I don't need much. While your doing your cabinets, mine need that too.

Jana it would be great to have a copy of that sugar cookie recipe.

Sharona sounds like old fashioned sibling rivalry between that dog and cat. I am easily irritated when things don't work right. I just don't do broke.

Flo that sounds like a dangerous situation. Prayers that all goes well.

Lori has was your tea party? That sounds like such a relaxing thing to do. There used to be a tea (restaurant) in Benicia but I heard they closed.

Chriss I will have to look up that movie. I need some chill time. I understand about that control thing. I am that way too and it drives me nuts when I can't manage everything.

Maryq shout out to you! How are things?

Well little sis is up so I should get and we can plan our day. Hope all your bobbins stay full!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:26 am

Good Morning Girls

Yippee!!! I'm UP... and dressed no less! AND have my sheets in the laundry already! May do the rest of the laundry today too, depending on how much coffee I drink this morning. :lol: :lol:

Maryz ... Oh yes that wonderful sweet baby smell... until, well you know.... Wouldn't it be great if they could make car scent of the sweet baby smell. I'd much prefer that to Pine or Vanilla (which makes me ill :lol: ) Have A &A ever gone out before and left Amara with a sitter? I suppose being as careful as they are, probably not---not wanting to have a stranger in the house. Only one more week! Oh gosh you better stock up on hugs and kisses!!

Lois... Good for your.. cookies can wait but it's important to finish that quilt.. I mean , how could you NOT want to have it all done and on your bed!

Judi... How old was Sophia when they were in Minnesota?. That seems like just yesterday they were here and we met for coffee! I'm behind on my Gramma Challenge on FB.. I should have probably get caught up. Are you making cranberry bread this year? I made 3 loaves yesterday and tried something a little different this time, I mixed cranberry juice and orange half/half. I think it turned out pretty good, tho I didn't want to cut into a big loaf to try it, as then I would have eaten the whole thing! I need to make more, but first I'll have to get more craisins.

Jana... No snow on the ground for you either? It's going to get up to 40 something here today, almost hit 50 yesterday. (which made it much easier to run to Target) Do they even make "old fashioned" skates? Did you have the kind with the key? My childhood friend had a pair and I was always so jealous, but she had all the good stuff as she only had 1 sibling and I had 6! She had the real Barbie doll and I had a generic one. :lol: :lol: Cut out sugar cookies are my favorite, oh no wait, Spritiz are, no wait, Russian Tea Cakes are... See Why I don't bake... I'd eat them all!!

Sharon... Is there a hotel near by... :lol: :lol: Not for the guests, but for you!!! It's nice to have family around for the holidays for sure... but all under one roof? Do you seriously have places to put all those people?

Flo... You guys be careful out there with that tree!! Is the wood "savable" for a fireplace? Do you or DS have a fireplace or will you save it for summer bonfires?

Valerie.... Thank you for sharing your Dad's info... I'm going to try to tune in Monday afternoon, just to kind of be there with you in Spirit. My Dad was a pilot too! If Heaven is your "happy place" I'm sure my Dad is up there somewhere flying around in one of those old WWII airplanes that he used to fly. My Dad was also an avid photographer, tho not professionally. Maybe they will run into each other in heaven, as you know how pilots like to talk about flying!!

Chriss... How did your "no work" Thursday go!? Tell me how to get point for searching on Bing! I thought I was done Amazon shopping until Bren mentioned something he'd like for his cooking--you know those shakers for parmesan cheese and/or crushed peppers..I looked all over at Target and Dollar Tree for them... no luck! FOUND at Amazon...delivered tomorrow.. I kind of think that's way it goes... for Jerry and cancer patients... good days and bad days. We just hope and pray for more good than bad. I saw a new fudge recipe and thought of Jerry...

Since yesterday was shower day, I did get out to Target for a few things, and when I got home I got the urge to bake some cranberry bread... between baking it and cleaning up the mess.. that was the whole afternoon. Since it's going to be relatively warm today I think I'm might go roust about in the garage and see if I can find some backing fabric for a few quilt tops that I've finished. Not sure how much batting I have on hand.. it's all in the bath tub in pieces so I have to sort it out. Might be time to order some more. I piece as much as I can though.

Time to throw sheets in the dryer!!! And guess what.... I need more coffee!

Wishing you all A fantastic Friday

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:49 pm

Oh have I got a Aaron story for y'all!

Up until last night it was legal in my city to land your helicopter on the roof of your own house. Yes, your very own private helicopter. Not these toy type, but a full size helicopter. So last night the city attorney and the city council met after several neighbor complaints and passed this new ordinance. There's a house, just a couple of blocks from me that built a helipad on the roof for this purpose. We would drive by this house as it was being built, over the last couple of years, and saw the steel i-beams being used for construction. These beams were the size that a 50 story building would use. Just passed it off as someone who really liked modern architecture. The house is really a ugly monstrosity, but to each their own. The city also told him at the time the plans were presented that there could be no helipad built on the roof. The building plans had a heliport in the design. Guess he did it anyway and has now started landing his helicopter there, to the neighborhood complaints. So it's now Aaron's responsibility to enforce the new ordinance. OK, any ideas how you impound and tow a helicopter? Or where it will fit in the impound yard? We are all having fun laughing at this! Never a dull moment with Aaron! Talk about yard art! LOL! This house is at the top of a hill. Gorgeous view of the valley, clear up to SLC and across to the Wasatch mountains. I'll keep you posted on this set of antics!

Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:48 pm

Good evening. What a beautiful but unproductive day.

Since I am 60 and see what is going on with Jerry's health, I've decided to get myself in order. Had a primary care provider selected but she quit. So, I had to make a new appointment with a new primary. The only criteria I had was that they spoke understandable English. I've had all my shots (Shingles, RSV, Covid, Flu) can't have pneumonia because I am not old enough. I've had my bone density colonoscopy and mamo and am now working with a dentist. And by going to grief share and church I am taking care of my mental health.

My doctor, who speaks fluent understandable English said all my tests and bloodwork numbers are great and he doesn't need to see me until next October. Thankfully I now have a PCP so that I can fill in that line on any form.

I've often heard about how a care giver doesn't seem to take care of themselves because they are busy taking care of the person who is sick. Well, that isn't going to be me.

So, after the doctor appointment I stopped for a few groceries and came home to sew. then poof, the power went out and by the time it came back on it was time to cook dinner. But, on the bright side, I only have a couple of small chores to do in the morning then I can play in my room all day long. I really want to tackle that pattern that I got from my Santa (Tina) The flower has partial seams and isn't the snail trail I thought it was going to be. Just hope I don't say a bad word, ha ha

And I am back on the search for a coat. The one I bought just was too small, it will be going back and my account will be credited. Frustrating but what's a girl to do.

I bought a half bone in ham at the store. It was only about 9 pounds but 87 cents a pound. I asked the butcher to cut it in half. so half of my ham half is in the freezer, the other half of the half is in the fridge. Sunday it will be a ham dinner and Monday it will be white beans with ham, fried potatoes and corn bread.

Maryz, it's quite a zoo at your place. It's going to be a great quilt. Wouldn't it be fun if it was bad weather between you and Florida and you had to stay in Texas? That's what I vote for.

Lois, I keep telling myself I need to exercise more but don't. Then I read that you went to the gym and I wish I lived closer so we could go together.

Judi, isn't that the way. They want nothing but to be with grandma when they are little then they grow up and get lives. Stinkers.

Jana, I don't even own cookie cutters. Marilyn took them home long ago. Jerry used to make sugar cookies using his moms cookie press, they are melt in your mouth good. Hey, make Santa a lot of those cookies, you may get a new machine under the tree.

Sharona, well? did the handyman fix what he was supposed to fix? Can I come and spend the night too? brunch sounds marvelous.

Flo, I have a couple of trees that could use some felling. If they fall on their own they could go across my driveway. My next big investment, a chain saw. I'm going to get one at Lowes because I want all my battery powered stuff to be Kobalt and have interchangeable batteries.

Valerie, great picture on dad's obit. wonderful smile. He looks like a kind and fun dad. The family arriving tomorrow, how long will they get to stay? I hope you get to have some you time.

Maryq, no work thursday was a hit. I hope you got to celebrate as well. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... c544327174 read how to earn points and see how many points you have. Hope you have a lot. Bren will love those shakers.

Not much else here. Hope you all have a great night.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”