Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday May 11,2023

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Thursday May 11,2023

Post by fabricgirl » Thu May 11, 2023 2:36 am

Good morning Everyone,

We are suppose to reach 82 today.
Yesterday was a nice day Holly and Eddie had a new addition to there familyWesley Raymond Adam's was born at 8:05 am.
We were out and about to hobby lobby where I found some fabric that I can use for my owl quilt also bought some buttons and machine needles and my pillow forms.
Then we went to Dicks and Bill got what he needed so then we left there and went to home depot for my table.
That was my day yesterday.
Today after I straighten up a bit I will make leaders for my cutie frame

I hope you all have a great day .
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

velvet

Re: Thursday May 11,2023

Post by velvet » Thu May 11, 2023 4:11 am

Good morning to all.
LOIS-- you were really busy yesterday. You made me tired just reading it. WHEW!! Are you ready for 82 degrees. We're going to be around that by the week end. I'm sure you are anxious to have your frame set up and ready to go. I try to practice when I can on my mini long arm but time gets in the way. Congrats for the new arrival.
Today should be quiet with just the usual odds and ends. I'm waiting on the border material for Agave then it will be finished. It came out pretty. I brought the template for the blue barn from Laundry basket quilts and want to try making a few blocks along with the pine trees from her book. Maybe a table runner' who knows what it will be.
Coffee is done and ready.
Enjoy your day.
Diane

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu May 11, 2023 4:18 am

Good Morning Lois You had a busy day yesterday, I bought new leaders for my LA a few years ago...they were quite expensive...what kind of fabric did you use for them?
I cleaned yesterday and got laundry done...I dont have anything on my list today around here but we have a dietician appt this afternoon...She will give Ken all the newest pointers for keeping his Diabetes under control better,,,He does ok with his blood sugar but his A1C has climbed a bit. So I will go and learn more...
I will try to get to the front weeds today for a bit we are going to 80 today so a mid morning out in the weeds is my plan...then see what I need out there,,,After Monday I wont get a lot done so hoping to clean up the front this weekend...(If it doesnt rain)
I need to get my hand sewing out and see what I will take. I will have a few hours of sitting in the hospital so I will pack that up.
Hope your day is filled with something different,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu May 11, 2023 4:24 am

Judi I purchased pillow ticking I hope I know what I'm doing this is all new to me so I guess I will fly by the seat of my pants :lol: .
Thank you for letting me where you purchased your owl fabric.

Lois

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu May 11, 2023 5:05 am

Good morning, up earlier than I wanted to be. Back yelling at me so sometimes just gotta get up and move. Took the osteo pill so after 30 min I can take some Ibu. Ended up with more on my plate yesterday than what I had planned so that is the problem. Did some cleaning up in the living room, got out the dust cloth, vacuumed. Then cleaned the granite in the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher. I was then just going to run a few errands and come home and sew. Hospice nurse called and Dad's wound is getting worse. The dressing she wants to use is not covered by Hospice so off on a wild goose chase to find some. They are not anything a usual pharmacy would carry and couldn't find them at the local medical supply stores either. So I called the Vacaville medical supply and she is trying to overnight for me. She will let me know today. If they don't come until Friday she will deliver them to the board and care on Friday. Hoping he doesn't need them long as they are $80 a box and only 5 dressings. I got 2 boxes.

Lyn how special that you could be there for your friend. Sounds like God may have intervened for your friend and kept you out of the storm.

Judi I never knew that about eggs. I guess I realize they didn't necessarily come out clean. Is the bloom like a membrane? Ok, what is pillow ticking? I have never heard of that.

Diane I will have to look into that wall. I had no idea there was anything other than the actual wall. I'll bet many Americans don't know that. Yes, I would need the Kleenex along also.

Chriss I am with you. If everything was open at 4 am it would so fit my schedule. I could also have everything done and be in the sewing room by 8. Yes, it can be difficult to keep negative thoughts away. I struggle with that a lot myself. Sewing is a good outlet for me. Hoping for good things for you and Jerry.

Maryq yes my BIL actually lives in Indian Springs which is on 95N. It is across from Creech AFB. Probably 25 or so miles (give or take) north of North Las Vegas. A very small dot on the map. Not many people there. The current population is under a 1000. So glad a don't have a brother! But I always wanted one.

Kathy I am sad you cannot move your sewing room. I had high hopes. I don't like to unload the dishwasher either. Wonder why that is?

Jana I have things jump in my cart all the time. I have no idea how that happens either. I have to find a grocery anything today as I am out of a few essentials. I didn't get to it yesterday with my plan changes.

Today is free sew. I will do a few uglies before I leave if I don't get a call. DH is getting ready for work so I generally just stay out of the way until he leaves. Luckily the medical supply store who is ordering Dad's dressings is just a hop, skip and Jump for the LQS. I could walk there if I was energetic. Will stop at the grocery on the way home. Not much else happening. I think I can go take my IBU now and get a cup of Joe.

Have a great day and hope everyone's bobbins are full!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu May 11, 2023 6:14 am

Good morning all. Light rain this morning.

Valerie, my Mom would use pillow ticking for making new covers for the goose down pillows. It's woven such that the feathers had a hard time poking through. For your Dad, may I suggest Colloidal Silver. You can buy it at most vitamin or natural food stores. It has help us and several friends over the years. You could get a little glass spray bottle and spray it on, he could drink a couple oz. a day. We have found it quite useful. It helped heal a wound DBIL had a few years back. Prayers Dad heals quicker.

DD2 called last night. She's in need of a break, future ex is being difficult. We're 4 hours from Hays. She and Maddox are going to drive over Friday after she gets off work and stay with us until Sunday afternoon. We'll get to spend Mother's day together ❤️ Of course when we leave here, we'll spend a few days in Hays.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Lyn

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu May 11, 2023 6:18 am

Good morning,

It's going to be a good travel day today. Beautiful weather and, once we get through the first 50 miles of urban congestion and construction, a beautiful drive all the way. I wish we were going for another reason than a celebration of life for a dear friend though.

LOIS - Glad you found fabrics you can use for all your projects. Our leaders are a lightweight canvas and are attached to the rollers with heavy duty Velcro. Congratulations on the new baby!! He makes four born on our forum in the last 6 weeks. I like his name. Here in our little town we have a Best Western motel called Wesley Inn, named after the owners son.

JUDI - I did know eggs were hatched with a coating or membrane of sorts and as long as it stays intact no refrigeration needed. But I didn't know room temp eggs whip up better. That's my new thing to learn for today. I hope you get done all you need to before it's time to go back into home care nurse mode. Though, after a few days, you may be happy to have a few outdoor chores to do! He can always text you if something dire happens - like his water pitcher is empty. :lol:

VAL - I hope you get those dressings pronto. Is this wound of your dad's a decubitus? Hoping for quick healing. We have actually driven through Indian Springs a few times while roaming around the country.

DIANE - I also like Edyta Sitar from Laundry Quilts. She has some nice designs. What book are you looking at? I have one of her books and made a couple quilts from it.

LYN - Blessings come well disguised sometimes. So happy that you dodged that storm! The hail did some serious damage to my niece's brand new truck back in Longmont. We were in the Midwest years ago and detour signs took us way out of the way and then disappeared. We finally found a campground and stopped. That night a twister went through where we'd planned to stay. It pays to listen to your angels! Besides, that friend needed you. And sweet you were there for her.

DIANE - That Traveling Wall gets around. It was here a few years ago. Very poignant.

CHRISS - I'm an early riser, too. If I'm up after 0500 I've slept in. However, I do like having time to myself in the morning. That's when I have my coffee and do my chatting with all y'all!

MARY Q - here, $1300 for apartment rent would be cheap! My friend's grandson lived in Seattle and had to move to a suburb because he was paying $2200 for a studio apartment and his rent was being raised to $3,000/mo. And this was 5 years ago. What a bummer about your mail! It's hard to get a mess like that straightened out. Did your brother make the mistake or did the post office just start forwarding everything? How many more patches do you have to make? You said a total of 65.

KATHY - sorry about no sewing room/bedroom swap. Maybe you could find a shelving unit or a piece of furniture at a garage sale or thrift shop where you could store more sewing stuff? Glad to know your houses are done. Yay! I posted a progress update over in the swap thread for you.

JANA - I hope Michael found the clamps he wanted. Maybe Harbor Freight? Bill finds he has to shop Amazon more and more - just can't find stuff locally anymore. So, your dishwasher - is it one unit or is it two separate appliances stacked on top of each other? Could you buy one without the other?

Well, we're off this morning - in a few hours. We'll be gone 3 nights/4 days. It's 375 miles each way, almost a straight shot southeast of us into NE Oregon. We're going to be Boondocker campers again at the halfway point, staying at the same place we stayed a few weeks ago. Then two nights parked at our friend, Bob's property. It's his wife, Betsy, who passed away Dec 23 (our double lung transplant friend, She got almost 11 extra years!) and we're going to her celebration of life at their friend's house in La Grande. It will be a nice trip, but sad to visit and not see Betsy bustling around, being the sweetest and best hostess ever. We'll be back Sunday afternoon.

Have a great weekend.

mary z
>^+^<

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Thu May 11, 2023 6:20 am

Good morning all
Yesterday was ok but not good. My chiro tells me theres a company that sends his bills to Humana my insurance. I am not going back till those bills reach my insurance. He says I can set up a payment plan. What do you all think? Good chiro but I think a shyster.
Today is a garden day. Going to plant more tomatoes and my peppers. I might try to get my green beans planted. Then will fix lunch . Corn on cob ham and taters. Will sew later. I think I will work on OWL block . I really think I am going to enjoy this quilt. If not that then my quilt blocks sew along.
I have a question I am leading a challenge for the guild. I decided to let them draw numbers for four different areas. One being winter {xmas winter or valentines day} fabric red. Spring { saint pattys day easter Spring} My question what color fabric should I get ? I will get a light blue for summer and a orange for fall . Any help will be appreciated.
Valerie Hope you get your Dads dressings . Boy girl you were busy yesterday.
Judi Darn rain sure impacts what we can get done. I need to weedeat but my garden has to come first.
Lois I orderd a fat quarter bundle for the fall winter OWL blocks. I just am too far from Hobby lobby and quilt shops. I would love to go which I might have to go get fabric for challenge. Might be a long shopping trip. LOL
I am off for second cup of java then into gardens.
You all have a great and creative sewing day
Katy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu May 11, 2023 6:43 am

Good morning!

A beginnings of a beautiful day in the neighborhood! Bright, sunny and warming up.

My uglies are under control, so it's mostly a sew day here. A school run too. Ethan's concert was very good last night.

Saw in my emails from QIAD, that Kimberbell CD's are on sale. A few I don't have, tempting.....

Daniel found a house, in his preferred price range. Has ground big enough for his shop he wants, but he's not sure about an offer yet. It's a maybe. We'll see.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up too!

Hugs,
Jana

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu May 11, 2023 7:03 am

Val The bloom is a coating on the eggs...it protects the eggs and if it is washed off the eggs need to be refrigerated..it is water soluable. The eggs come out of the chicken usually pretty clean, but sometimes they are really dirty and have straw stuck to them and its hard to let them sit on the counter but you get used to it. I used the eggs this morning for banana nut bread and they were big orange yokes and whipped up very fluffy and creamy. they were laid last week. I bought a wooden tray at a thrift store and they sit on that,xxx
Pillow ticking is a heavy cotton fabric that was used for bed pillows and even mattresses. It is a distict stripe comes in several colors n ow but was primarily navy stripe.. I assume it is the heavy stuff which will hold up as leaders on a quilting machine,,,I never thought of using it...but great idea Lois.

Return to “Sew ins”