Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday May 4,2023

Daily discussions.
auntjana

Re: Thursday May 4,2023

Post by auntjana » Thu May 04, 2023 7:45 am

Good morning!

Yes, May the fourth be with you! We are one of those families too. Karlie has her hair done up just like Princess Leia in the first of the original Star Wars movies. I called her Princess Cinnamon bun hair today.

Sarah found a sprinkler guy and he'll come by next week to look over the job for a bid.

Found out some interesting health matters in my extended family. I have a niece and my nephew Tommy who are both on oxygen because of a lung problem. We always thought that my nephew's was caused by his work accident that disabled him. Now my niece's lung problem, same as Tommy's is a genetic inherited disease. It causes the lungs not to oxygenate and recover after being given anesthesia. The lungs just start to fail. So hopefully we can get some answers and help. After reviewing family history of medical problems,, I knew of my mother and her older brother,, who died with similar problems of anesthesia. So glad I know my family history. I'm
the only one left in the old generation and boy,, the next generation needs to pick my brain,, while I still have one ! Tommy has other health issues as well, to which his "wife" wouldn't allow him to have treated. She controlled the health medical stuff and didn't want to pay for treatment out of there medical insurance - co-pays etc. Well, now Tommy is getting the help he has needed, now he's down with us and is improving dramatically! It's hard for me to understand how someone, who supposedly loved this person, could treat them like this! The dog got better treatment! OK no more soapbox! A word to the wise - write stuff down from all you know of family history!

More sewing on stars, didn't get too yesterday. Lila was my helper in getting uglies done yesterday. I have a few more today.

May the fourth be with you!
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu May 04, 2023 8:19 am

Good Morning Girls

Where did yesterday go!!! I woke up at 10: for a Dr appointment at 11:30!! EEEKKKK but since the Dr's office is only 1 mile from my house, I made it in plenty of time, even taking a shower and putting on the face!

Lois... Sounds like you have a full day ahead! Hopefully the showers miss you while you are out and about!

Judi.... YEAH for sunshine right!!!! I would think that buying beef would be a whole lot less expensive. There are times when I wish I had a big freezer to keep meat, etc on hand. But for one person it just doesn't seem worth it. The kids have freezer I suppose I could stock stuff in, but who knows what would be left when I get there! :lol: :lol:

Becca.... Isn't it so nice to wake up to the sunshine! Sure makes a difference in what I feel like doing! Kind of like ambition from the sky!

Lyn.... I bet it's a challenge to drive the MH in strong winds! When your home is "in the shop" can you still live in it? or do you have to leave it and stay at a hotel?

Flo.... Oh dang another UTI!!! water water water!! Have they done any testing to see what you get them so often? Do you have well water? or do you drink bottled water? I'm just throwing things out there! I have Oak Grove, MO on my weather app because there's where my BFF lives, looks like they are getting rain!

Maryz.... Do I have to come out there and lock you in your sewing room so you don't hurt your back with yard work! OH how I'd love to!! Omg our little Amara is a beauty! That little face is so precious. I'm still looking around the onesies and I know they will turn up, when Amara goes off to kindergarten.

Chriss... You are wise to document everything!! Is the current Dr. the only game in town? I'm googling you little town.. Yikes only 825 population? I don't suppose there is too much in the way of clinics etc. What's the other closer towns? I do send thoughts and prayers for you guys every day!

Jana.... SO glad to hear Tommy is improving! What a worry! Did you know that they can do a DNA tell that will tell how well a person metabolizes certain medications. Like how one med can be better for you than another simply because one could metabolize better! I would so love to have all my DNA run for everything, and my kids too, not just to know ancestry but to see what diseases etc they are more susceptible to. There's cancer on DEX's side but not on my side. Strokes, aneurisms, and brain problems are on my Mom's side.

Well, as they say, best to make hay while the sun shines. I'm headed out to the garage today since it's finally warmed up enough to not have to wear a coat out there. Evie is coming over after school top pick up some boxes to take down to Wisconsin with them this weekend. Viv turned 70 last weekend so they are headed down to celebrate. My friend Peg is coming over later -- she is expecting her first great grandchild in November and it coming to shop my little store for fabric for a quilt!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu May 04, 2023 8:48 am

Mary she gets more beautiful everytime I see her.

Thanks for sharing.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu May 04, 2023 8:52 am

My kids did their DNA history and wow what an eye opener,,,Colleen carries the gene that causes sophias problems and so does Jeff,,,They each inherited it from their Dads,,,Ken carries it but I do not hence our kids do not have the issues,,,Same with Jeffs side His dad passed it on to him but not his mother...its scarey but good to know some of these things,,,Of course there is Colleen's issue she also carries the gene that makes her fat ( shes not really fat but is suseptable to weight gain genetically) and she also carries a gene that makes her immune to the flu....who knew all this stuff and the testing was fairly inexpensive...there is a ton you can know ,helps you take better care of yourself...but some things are just plain funny,,,,aka thr fat gene...( she wont forgive us for that)
xxxooo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu May 04, 2023 9:13 am

Good morning and Happy Thursday

Sherrie and Judi sorry to hear you cannot attend Saunder Village this year. It is on my bucket list of things to do. There and Paducah.

Chriss my sincere apologies. ;) So the story is, my troubles are one of three things most likely. The first choice and most likely reason is (and as a nurse I didn't know this). When you have a severe digestive illness like I had in February, it can upset the normal ratio of good and bad bacteria in your gut and can cause IBS symptoms. It can takes a very long time to return to normal. You don't have IBS necessarily just the symptoms. #2 I could now be lactose intolerant. Never have been before but things can change. #3 is Celiac disease which he has ruled out with a blood test.
So his treatment plan is take my Protonix 2x a day for a month, take a probiotic forever, no dairy products for 2 weeks and then slowly add them back and if I get digestive symptoms I am lactose intolerant. Now for the IBS symptoms I have to stay on this FODMOD diet for 1 month. It is quite restrictive to begin with. It's not a "diet" per say but restricts foods that tend to cause IBS symptoms. He gave me the basics and then said to go to the website where I could get more complete information. If in a month I am still having symptoms then he will send me to GI doctor. And on a side note, he does hear my heart murmur (sometimes they can't hear it) and decided I need to have a chest xray and EKG. So I had those, they showed exactly what I thought they would. I do not know why but my EKG shows 2 areas of infarct. Now to my knowledge, I have never had a heart attack. My EKG says I have had 2! Go figure.

Maryz my great granddaughter was born with the same tongue issue but the DGS decided to leave it. The doctor said okay but if she started to loose weight they would be forced to do it. OMG our little Kumquat is absolutely adorable. I cannot believe she is 4 weeks old already.

Flo so sorry to hear about the UTI, having grown up with those I know how uncomfortable they are. Is the Urologist going to increase your dose back up? A day off may be just what you need.

Today is Lina's 3rd birthday. My GS and his Dad are big fans of Star Wars and are quite happy she was born on the 4th. Unfortunately I cannot be there. I am sure they will have a small family get together since the new baby is home now.

OUr weather is cooling off. Chance of showers today and most likely no more than 60. Something closer to 70 would be great, looks like no 70's for about a week.

I need to get going to get stuff together for Free Sew and figure out what I am going to eat for lunch. Have a great day all.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu May 04, 2023 10:57 am

Maryz, Suzette is the one that finished the Lori Holt pattern. I can't believe the little one is almost 4 weeks old. Time sure goes by fast when you get old.

Jana, that's good information that need to be past on to the next generation.

Judi, I did my DNA, but not the medical part. It would be interesting to see what kind of disease and illnesses are in my genes.

Did grocery shopping and picked up flowers for my dad to put at the cemetery. We go every Thursday.
Just waiting for the rain to stop before we go.

We had a nice storm go thought overnight and this morning. We don't usually get rain this late in the season. I love it.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Thu May 04, 2023 2:58 pm

Jana - Just as important to writing stuff down is perhaps since you are the "oldest" and last in your generation get DNA tested. I had an "Invitae" DNA test for 47 variants that are associated with genetic disorder. I literally tested negative. The test was covered by my insurance.

Carol

Return to “Sew ins”