Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wed March 15

Daily discussions.
QuiltGram8

Wed March 15

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:14 am

Good Morning! Hope you all have a sunshiny day! 🌞
I was just reading more posts from yesterday, that I missed.
Maryq: yes, we use lots of different batting. Usually the cheapest we can find. A local long arm shop gives us pieces and we sew the pieces together. We had two ladies donate a stack of brand new fleece blankets they found at Walmart for 75¢ each. One our ladies pieced them together for backing. They are beautiful however, they were too thick with our regular batting, so we are using old sheets on those quilts that have those fleece backs.
Yes, Maryz, the expense of batting has increased a lot, but all of our other materials are donated. They even take a special offering during church once during the year to help with that expense too. Members are very generous!!
Today I am working to finish up some lap quilts. Then I switch to sewing school bags.
Wow! The days are flying by! 🕊️ Spring 🌼🌱 is just around the bend.
Have fun today.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

grammiequilts

Re: Wed March 15

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:10 am

Good morning vel and all. I have a list of things to do today,,,I need to clean the ceiling fan in the laundry room. (I forgot about it) then I will cook up some chicken for chicken enchiladas and freeze it. I will also pull the corned beef out of the freezer to thaw for friday, I will bake some banana nut bread with bananas that need to go, so it will be a kitchen day, I slept in again today cannot seem to catch up. (another restless night) I might do a bit of laundry today too.
Ken has been oked to have his second knee replaced. It will probably be in a few weeks. We need to see the cardiologist first and I will cll for the appt today, I have my regular and Ken a pre op check. I am not looking forward to this it was not fun last time. My window washing will be delayed LOL I am thinking some time the end of April. Then the rehab. (hoping for a better patient this time)
Today we have an appt with the lawyer to update the will and trust, its pretty simple and shouldnt take that long....I may get some sewing done later today,
I did order a bench for my laundry room it actually is a wooden outdoor bench but it will go in there,,,I need to do some curtains too. As far as a farm table to fold the clothes that will have to wait as i cannot find exactly what I want,,, Ken has offered to make it but He has way too much on his plate to do that right now...Hope you all have a great day Jeff is doing ok...taking tylenol and whining too,,,,So far all the rest of the family are ok.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:19 am

Good morning,

Well it snowed all day yesterday but nothing stuck so happy because we would have had alot of snow.
Today it will be just a windy day.
It's been a couple of very lazy days today I will kick my but in Geer and do something maybe do like Kathy empty my room out start purging stuff I don't want.
I have alot of fabric to put away from previous projects so I will start that after I get dressed and put the sheets on to wash.

I hope I get some things done today I'm beginning to feel like a slug.

Well thats all the news from here I hope you all have a great day.
Lois

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:25 am

Good morning everyone sunny but in20s
We have one more cold night to go
Velda We too had trouble in our quilting group at Church with finding batting affordable We had lots of fabric donated I gave them most of mine when I moved I knew it went to a good cause

Judi Hope the appts go well & your sick gets better

I sill have more business to take care of It would be so nice if people would do what they say but it doesn’t happen The utilities are not being cooperative

I did get the tires taken care of yesterday Mark is so good to help me as I try to learn my way around this city Then when I get moved it will be another to learn
Hope everyone has a great day May sunshine be on your path. Becca

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 am

Good morning,

JUDI - Wasn't it about this time last year Ken had his other knee done? Well, at least now you both know what to expect. Maybe you should put a cot in that pretty laundry room for him this time instead of him doing the stairs. You'll get better sleep. :lol: What about the class he was going to teach?

LOIS _ Once I take a sluggy day, it's easy to keep taking them. I have to force myself back in motion.

VELDA - Did you say your goal for school bags was 100? How many have you made so far?

BECCA - your kids are so wonderful to you! When you move, how far away from them will you be?

KATY - thanks! Here, our Krogers are called Fred Meyers (or Freddy's) and it's where I usually shop. And I'm going there today! I'll see what I can find. I need to especially get some ground sirloin.

MARY Q - That's a lot for a bra! But a decent bra is about $40 anyway unless you find a good sale.
Chiropractor can help with muscle spasms, too, you know. I love my dr! Have you tried doing some simple stretches a few times a day? I find they help me a lot - IF I do them.

CHRISS - I think Autumn is more ready even than you for Kumquat to be born! We were talking about if she were having triplets and she said if she were pg with 3 she's be calling Time by now! lol! I've found kids figure out their own names for grandparents. The boys call us Nonnie and Pop. That was how Drew said Gramma and Papa and it stuck. We'll see what Kumquat does. But I'm more curious to see what WE'LL be calling HER!

IZZY - I'm saving a swap spot just for you. I hope you decide to join us! You could make a goat house! When we were kids, after the last pigs were gone, we used the pig house for a play house . . Ideas are everywhere at your house!

Yesterday we got our furnace fixed, then went to Costco where I picked out 2 new pairs of glasses - regular and sun. They've redesigned their optical department and removed ALL the chairs! And the wait time was about 45 minutes. Ugh! They finally brought me a folding chair. It took me two hours after we got home to deal with all we bought, make lunch, and get dinner into crock pot. After that we both worked in the trailer, and he filled the water tank, checked furnace, stove, hot water heater, "fireplace", etc., I cleaned the interior of messes he made while working on improvements he was doing over the past month. He's very good at fixing, building, remodeling, but he's lousy at cleaning up the resulting "disarray". I also managed to get 30 more crazy blocks feather-stitched. It was a full day. This morning I have chiropractor and this evening we're going out to supper with friends. And in between, more crazy work. I just might be able to get this top finished before we leave for camping next Monday. Maybe . .

I hope your Ides of March goes better for you than it did for Julius Caesar!

Mary Z
>^+^<

DouceFleur

Post by DouceFleur » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:55 am

Good morning to all. I know, I do not post nor read the sew ins section very often, but thinking of you all.

Velda, I read this morning that you had sent me a PM concerning the tote bag pattern, which I saw the picture of the tote bag you made. It is beautiful. Great jobs!

Sorry to say, but I never received your PM. I just tried to send you one, but when I hit the "submit" button, it indicates << Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.>> I do not know why I got that message. :)

Wishing you all a wonderful day! Love & hugs

Denise xoxoxo

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:26 am

Good Cloudy morning.........

Well, we got some snow yesterday, 4 or 6", it's hard to say. Way north of me got 3'. The sun is trying very hard to come out. The drive way is plowed. If any one comes to visit they'll find the walkways are not shoveled. I'll give that a try later.
I made a good leftover Chicken Veg soup yesterday, even user up the V8 juice. I'll be good for days.
I'm aiming to start cutting my BOM today. :roll: :roll: after I fold the laundry on the cutting table.
Everyone get ready it's almost time to 'express out opinions" in the heat & humidity!

Vel...........have a happy sew day. Just think of all the people you touch with what you do.

Judi.......I need to do the fan in my bed room. It's brown & really shows the dust. Good luck with all your cooking. It is so good to have some meal ready in the freezer. I'm terrible with my freezer on the bottom frig. I loose things down there. Happy to hear Ken is approved for his other knee.

Lois......hope you got in gear & made it into the sewing room. I would like to purge my fabric but when I try old memories come up of where & when I bought it. I'd like to make it a little bigger.

Becca.......happy to see you. I wonder what would happen if the batting company was called and asked for batting for the very important quilts. Sometimes goodness can make more goodness. I hope those changes you need to make go smoother for you.

Maryz......I'm getting excited for this little kumquat to be born too. So tiny & smelling so good. Most of all, going to parents that love her so. Your day sounds full as usual.

Love & Prayers............Kathy

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 am

Good morning beautiful ladies. It's going to be a squishy day today. It rained like crazy last night. The sky just dumped for like 20 minutes straight. It was dark so I couldn't see too well but the road must have been a bit flooded because cars were going slow. This morning it's a bit foggy, I can't see across the street. I love mornings like this. The oak trees don't have any leaves and the sky is misty. Kind of like a scary movie without the bad guy.

Today I am going to sew then I meet a friend for a late lunch in town. There is a restaurant called Happy Burger who has an employee who had some damage to her home during these recent storms. Happy Burger is donating 10% of their Wednesday sales for the rest of the month to their employee. We are going to go have a $15 burger to help with that fund raiser.

Velda, nice to have two projects going so when you are done making lap quilts you can move on to making bags.

Judi, glad Ken is getting his last knee done. If he doesn't behave give him a smack and run, he won't be able to catch you. Your laundry room will be lovely when you are done. It sounds like it's going to be a nice cozy place to be. Maybe add a rocking chair and a reading lamp.

Lois, you do know that starting the cleaning out in the sewing room leads to less cleaning and more sewing, ask me how I know. Wonder how many things you will find that you forgot you had.

Becca, nice of you to donate fabric to the church, they will surely make good use of it. It really is a different world than the one I grew up in. sorry people aren't following through for you, seems they just don't care like they used to. Jerry and I were just talking about how Microsoft fired their ethics team. I think today's ethics, or morals are so different than they were in our day, and so not for the better.

Maryz, you had a busy yesterday. Nice to have new glasses and your Costco shopping done. I need a Costco run but really only need hamburger. Perhaps Friday. I am ready to know Kumquat's name too.

Denise, hope to see you more often.

Kathy, chicken veggie soup sounds really good. We also add V8 to soups or stews to give it that added flavor. It's so difficult to cook for one or even two without having scads of leftovers. We only cook dinner a few days a week anymore. Is your BOM a 12 month project or will it be done sooner? I already have humidity opinions. it makes my hair look like a brillo pad. frizz city. I read the other day that someone said they were ready to quit complaining about all this rain and snow so they could complain about the heat.

Hope today keeps you dry and warm
Chriss
Psalm 91

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:45 am

Good Morning Girls

Tis the Ides of March today! Beware! Do you remember that from having to study Julius Caeser?

Velda... Sounds like your church group gets great support! I think of my neighbors is in a group like yours at her church she says she is just the "ironer" and doesn't sew! I'll check with her, I sure would like all that batting to go to good use!

Judi... sounds like you will be spending your day in the kitchen. I only have a kitchen because it came with the house. It's too bad it's not permitted to slap patients around when they don't behave... even if you are married to them. Hope all does well for Ken when he has his surgery. Can we just drug him up with the good stuff and park him somewhere? :lol: :lol:

Lois... Emptying out a room and starting over sounds like a good project that will keep you busy for a while. I did that with the mechanical closet the other day and it looks so pretty! No matter how hard I try to keep the sewing room neat and tidy, it just never stays that way for very long.

Becca.... Oh gosh... don't get me started on service folks that don't do what they say!!! I so hope everything works out for you. Any idea of when you will be able to get to your own place?

Maryz... Am thinking I might just try a chiro. The Dr I saw the other is actually a CNP or APRN, and she's going to give me the name of a good chiro. In the meantime I'll try a new bra but not the $68 one.. That's 1/2 of my grocery budget! Yikes 45 minutes is a long time to wait around with no chair!

Denise.... So nice to see you pop in here! Hope you can solve your PM issue. And come back to see us again soon!

Kathy.... I'm thinking little Kumquat is going to have a LOT of new Gramma's. We'll be the QIAD Grammies!!

Chriss... Happy Burger? We don't have those up here, but we have Culver's. Do you have those? They will fund raise for groups too. My DS Kevin is the exec. director of the boys choir that Nolan is in, and the local Culvers did a fund raiser for them twice... so you know I had to go! They make the best fried cheese curds! Am going to run over to "prayer" topic before I sign off.

We are under a winter storm warning starting tonight and ending Friday AM. SO today is the day I have to go get groceries, the fridge is literally totally empty except for condiments and maybe some left over soup.

If I want to even see the sewing room today I better get going.. Hoping to get groceries all put away with time to spare this afternoon to sew a big. I have borders ready to put on a UFO and I'd love to get that done and then find backing and maybe quilt myself.

As Maryz said... Hope your day is better that Juluis's.

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:23 am

Good afternoon all! It is a beautiful day here. The snow is all melted and the sun is shining. Now can't wait for it to warm up to the mid 50's and stay there instead of up and down cold then warm. At least now my asthma is alot better. Not much going on except it is March Madness time. I have all my brackets filled out for men and women. Now time to watch the games. Also will watch my MIchigan Wolverines in the NIT since they didn't make the March Madness group. They beat the Toledo Rockets yesterday.

Well better go get all of us some lunch. My asthmas is so much better since the weather got sunny. Hope everyone has a safe and good day.
Sherry

Return to “Sew ins”