Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sat March 11th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Sat March 11th

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:23 am

Good morning I am off to Rykers last hockey game of the season.....nex..t will be little league for him...He is very good for 7 yrs old.
When we get through with the hockey game we will go to brunch....then home for some time till Liam's last hockey game also..at 5 this afternoon... It is all coming to an end for this season..It has been so much fun to watch them
I did do another row of jane last night and yesterday when I got home was a fabric. I ordered a yard of the focus fabric for OOn wander Lane...I figured by the time i get to it it might not be available,,so I have that att he ready,
Off we go will come back to read what you all have been up to later XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FlorenceM

Re: Sat March 11th

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:56 am

Morning Judi and all to follow,
Judi baseball has started out here. DGD doesn't play, but our north property line is school ball field. We live in the middle of 11 acres, so there is some distance. We do have a problem with the games...they have no problem throwing their trash over fence, broken chairs, coolers, bags of trash and much else
Baby chicks doing well.
Nothing else going on here, still hand stitching doilies to fabric squares.
Flo

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:00 am

Good morning Judi and all that follow
Ladies Its time for me to take a break from cleaning . I got my quilt back yesterday so its time for binding. This quilt was a sew along years ago. Its got 6.5 inch blocks . I only used 90 of the 121 blocks we made. Maybe someone will remember . It was the sew along before the one I led which also had 6.5 inch blocks. As soon as I get it done I will have someone post a picture for me.
I am taking a Katy break. However I will wash some curtains today. There in Jims room. Boy they need washing. I guess I did not explain all the cleaning ,I can not garden and clean at the same time. My back wont take it. So cleaning takes priority. But I am glad I can motivate all my Katy girls. LOl
There is one thing I am asking for this morning. My 14 year old niece had brain surgery yesterday. I need as many prayers as I can get for this loving girl. Prayers needed that the surgery will not affect her eyesight . The surgery went well but they will not know till later if there are any side effects.
Judi what size are the Jane blocks. I thought about doing at one time but have forgot the size. Of course I thought about doing On Wander Lane too LOL Hope the boys do well in there last games.
Flo Glad baby chicks are doing well. I would luv to have some But we have preditors of every kind including an Eagle.
Well ladies I am off for another cup of Java then into binding mode.
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:37 am

Good morning everyone sunny here in 60s but tomorrow his in 40s Quite a switch
Judi Best wishes to the boys on their games I love seeing mine play

Flo Those baby chicks grow fast Too bad about trash from gameโ€™s People are so careless

Katy Glad you are taking a cleaning break My back didnโ€™t love gardening but I did

D& M are going to a birthday party today I will get my walk in & do some reading Plus my family FaceTimes today
Have a great time today. Hugs Becca

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:03 am

Happy Saturday! It's currently 44*, more rain expected. We are under flood watch but it won't flood at my house. Prayers for those who are in harms way.

DD quilt is done, I found a Cuddle fabric for the back. Couldn't get the color I wanted but it will work. It is off to the quilter today. She said she should be able to get it back to me by next week. I have enough fabric left for the binding and two pillow cases so will get to work on those. Will give it a good pressing this AM before I drop it off.

Today is my next to the last class for my Starry Night. Will be working on the sheep. Many are skipping ahead and finishing the quilt which is okay but I paid lots of $$ for this class so want to see it through to the end. You never know what interesting tip, etc you could miss. It is coming out pretty good if I don't say so myself.

I also got the back of my 40 Fabulous Years completed and it is now at the quilters. She only does one custom quilt a month and my month is finally here. She will be giving up the custom quilting though. Mine I think is the last one. Her husband has stage 4 prostate cancer and is now terminal. He is giving one more treatment option a chance but it doesn't seem to be really working. I had a long conversation with him yesterday on the phone. He had lots of Hospice questions and just questions in general. I feel so bad for them, only in their mid 50's. I was a bit surprised by the phone call as it had been over a year since I heard from him.

Anyway, my next goal in life is to figure out how to get all my sewing done and get here too. I know retirement is the answer but just a bit too many bills yet. Dad was seeming a bit down yesterday which may be because he was tired. They had already put him down for his nap when I was able to go. Plus I didn't bring him any snack. I did bring ice cream but that of course went to the admin for freezer. I will bring him some more snacks on Monday. Podiatrist was there so he got the toe nails cut. Now for the hairdresser. Hope she is coming soon. He is looking a bit hippyish!

Not much else new around here. I will be working on my lotto blocks, my First Saturday BOM, my Kim Diehl BOM (really 6 of them a month but they go fast). My OWL also starts this month. They should be mailed out by the 24th or so. And I have no idea how many quilts I have in various stages on completeness. Going to also be setting up Dad's old room for guests arriving on the 2nd. Cleaning up the sewing room and organizing a bit in there. Hoping to make room for my cutting table and to bring in some items/boxes from the shed.

But for now, I need to get to pressing DD quilt. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:43 am

Good morning,

JUDI - awww.... The end of hockey. It's so great that you enjoy it so much! All our grandkids ever played was soccer. Don't them them I said this, but soccer is the most boring of all sports!

BECCA - glad you have been getting some nice walking weather. I walk in most weather but no hard rain or wind. It's hard to fight an insistant dog.

VAL - you have a lot on your sewing plate. So many BOM's. How do you keep up? I'm most anxious, of course, to see your Starry Night completed!

KATY - of course, prayers being said for your niece. Please let us know how she does. Sewing is equally hard on my back if I sew too many hours. And I always sew too many hours. Have to admit, I only wash my walls if I splash spaghetti sauce or if I'm going to paint. Don't tell anybody, please.

FLO - Have you posted signs to not throw garbage onto your property? It might help. We had the same problem in the development behind us - they tossed yard debris, Christmas trees, snack trash, cans, bottles, etc onto our wooded property. Their kids brought over their dad's tools (and left them!) to strip limbs, make tree houses, and even cut down some of our saplings. Once we found a 10 x10x10 foot hole the kids had dug for some unknown kid reason. But after we put up signs saying "Private Property, No Dumping", most of it stopped. (And after showing the parents the big hole, it was filled in in two days!)

LYN - congrats! You had a great day and what a nice prize you won! You are a winner!

SHERRY - smart to stay in out of the snow. One slip and there could go a hip! If you do go out, I hope you carry your cell phone with you "just in case".

CHRISS - When I am on a cleaning binge, I aways save my sewing room until last because I know once I let myself go in there, all is lost. Pretty soon I look up and the day has passed. No cleaning, but I have a lot of sewing done! lol! The pictures on the news of Cali's weather is horrific! I know you are in a fairly safe place but so many aren't.

JANA - OK, you caused me to go around with a tape measure and see for myself. I have about 500 feet of white baseboard, about 3" high, upstairs in my split level house. Downstairs is much different baseboard and I didn't even look at that. Don't want to. Not gonna do it. Uh-uh.

VELDA - I never thought about my knife handles. They are all either metal or wood or plastic. No paint. Is there food-safe paint?

LOIS - glad you are now established with your new eye dr. Just as Bill got a good relationship going with his ophthalmologist when the guy retired and Bill's not super happy with the new one, so he went for a second opinion (which agreed with first dr, so we're back with the first doc now. I think.). Bill only has vision in one eye and he has cataracts so he's very careful with his eye health.

MARY Q - good morning! Are you snowed in again? The same weather report that showed flooding in CA showed big snowstorm in your area.

Well, our furnace quit. What a cheap unit. It's only lasted 47 years. What's the deal??! The repair guy came yesterday. We need 2 new relay switches which he ordered but won't be in until next week. And that's fine. It gives us a good reason to have a fire in upstairs during the day, which I love. But I couldn't help but think of Kathy when she lost power and had no heat. I believe she said her house was only 39*. Brrr.... I was shivering at 65*! Poor Kathy!

I got 55 more crazy blocks fancy-stitched. Only 200 more to go! I can do about 20/hour, but I have to take frequent breaks as my eyes go a little buggy. On my "breaks" I"ve been trimming my remaining scraps. I don't know if I'll EVER get done with that! My quilt setting is 20 x 22 (blocks are only 5" sq., quilt will be a king). One third of the top is already assembled and I have enough blocks feather-stitched now to bring it up to one-half by end of business today. I think. I might do a load or two of wash today, too. We'll see. I don't want to overtax myself. ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

Yesterday we got rid of our landline and pulled all the phone extensions. End of an era. So if any of you have my .....6139 # you can ditch it. We only have our cell phones now. Pray we don't lose them!

Y'all have a Super Saturday!

mary z
>^+^<

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:36 am

Good Morning Girls

Happy Saturday! Tis a snowy winter's day here... mostly likely to snow all day! But there's no where else I have to be so I might get a few uglies done.... I walked through my living room on the way to turn on the coffee pot this morning and just decided that my house is just never ever going to be "good Housekeeping" clean again! :lol: :lol: It's not dirty really, but just messy and I guess I'm ok with that .

Judi.... I like the way you think.... order the fabric now or you might not be able to find it later. Or if you do, it's on Ebay at twice the price! Ryker is 7!!!! Oh my, wasn't he just born yesterday and he's playing hockey already! There's a parent on my Nolan's team that video's all the games, so even I can't be there, I can watch them on Youtube! He got 2 goals the other night at a game!!

Flo... Are the chicks getting bigger every day? How long will you have to keep them in the pen inside? When they go out to the coop do you have to set up heat out there?

Katy.... Good to hear you are taking a break.. I am going to do a "Katy project" today and clean out my mechanical closet. The shelving in there has become a catch all. It will be a perfect project to keep me thinking about your niece and sending lots of prayers for a positive outcome from her surgery!

Becca... Don't you just love technology that you can face time with family? My neighbor Katie has family all over the country and they have a schedule for zoom meetings so they can all keep in touch. Such a great idea! Which reminds me I need to Facetime my DD in Alaksa this weekend.

Valerie.... It may take you a little while, I'm guessing to readjust things now that Dad isn't living with you anymore. Sounds like you have a busy few weeks ahead of you though..

Maryz... Oh no, not snowed in, just a light snow today, not sure it will amount to much. At this time of year it can snow a lot but it doesn't seem to last. You got 47 years out of your furnace!! That has to be a record. You don't have to get a whole new one? Mine is the original one here and it's 20 some years old and I'm hoping I won't have to replace it... or the water heater for a LONG time!

Well, as I said I'm doing a closet project that was on my "winter project list" today and once that's done I'll head back to the sewing machine. I have a few little messes of things I brought home from Kc's that I need to clean up... or at least get out to the garage so they are out of sight!! And for that I need more coffee and some rockin' music!

Have a most wonderful day everyone

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:39 am

Good morning Everyone,

Kinda late today Bill took me out to breakfast
no reason he just felt like breakfast out and who am I to argue.
The funny thing that happened we were met at the door and the girl was handing out masks .
Now that we are back home I'm washing clothes so what else is new :lol: .

Mary lots of luck without the landlines I don't think will ever get rid of ours.

Judi so sad that hockey is coming to an end for you seems like your grands have had a great season.

Valerie glad that your able to get your daughters quilt done I still haven't brought my snowflake in to the quilters yet maybe by the spring or summer :lol: .

Becca enjoy your FaceTime with the family.

Well thats all the news from here everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:04 am

Home from the game and we had brunch with my young granddaughter we never get to spend time with and her boyfriend...She is 23 and ever so busy,,,We love her boyfriend he is a sweet guy very thoughtful too...He has been to our house and he might be a keeper....
katy glad you are taking the cleaning break. I am too till monday, then I will fininsh the laundry room. the blocks ( not really block but diamonds, 6 1/2 point to point, and 4 1/2 point to point) all sashed, and set on point.a lot of marking and piecing
Boys lost 6-3...one more game this afternoon at 5.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:33 am

Good late morning. Flo: sorry about the ball park trash. Maybe like Maryz mentioned, maybe a sign could help, but do people even read signs anymore? LOL
Can't remember all that I wanted to reply to. Sorry....
My sister-in-law called and asked if I would make another purse for her, so I guess that will be next on my to-do list.
Maryz: not planning to paint handles on my knife set. I was going to re-stain. Do I really have to be "food-safe" conscious for that?? Maybe I should leave them all faded??
I am finishing my outdoor USMC Plaque repainting project. Just need clear coat to seal it for outdoor use. Now my son wants me to do his. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Of course I said ok.
Have a great weekend.

PS: DouceFleur I sent a PM message to you.
HUGS, ๐Ÿ’• Vel

Return to โ€œSew insโ€